The Sea Devil's Fruit

Hiya everyone. This is a team that I have been testing, and it is going pretty well. However, like all things in life it could be improved.

This team revolves around Physical Life Orb Flygon. This team was made to facilitate the sweep of Flygon.

Creation Process

After testing for a little bit, found that bulky waters give Flygon a lot of trouble, but that will (sorta) be solved later one. With Flygon I knew that sandstorm would be useful for weaking basically everything, and the pokemon that it doesn't affect Flygon deal with them. I picked Tyranitar over Hippowdown because I needed a more offensive pace, and Tyranitar would help me combat stall much better; therefore, Tyranitar picked.

After Tyranitar was picked I still knew bulky waters stood in the way of a clean Flygon sweep. So, I thought that I would need something to lure them out (other then Tyranitar, because bluffing a Choiced set sometimes makes or breaks a battle). What else is better then Heatran to lure out bulky waters out. In addition, Heatran and Flygon's weakness' are covered nicely with the two of them.

Now that I had a Heatran, now i needed something to be able to stay in on bulky waters. After looking Vaporeon looked like a really nice fit, able to take bulky waters and heal her teammates. But I wanted to use Toxicroak, who has Dry Skin to be immune to water attacks, and heals himself. In addition, Toxicroak adds a more offensive pace then Vaproreon does.

After Toxicroak it becomes harder for me to pick a pokemon to because I don't know what to cover next. So I relied on a pokemon that helps Flygon. Scizor was a nice fit, able to switch interchangably due to their typing, and is able to scout and adds priorty since I lack a revenge killer on this team. Scizor's fire-weakness is also covered very nicely.

After Scizor, deciding on the lead was the hardest part. I wanted something that could effectively lay down Stealth Rock, and cause disruption to the other team. At first I had TrickScarf Uxie, which fit really nicely, and covered my apparant fighting weakness really well, and was a good overall go-to pokemon.

After playing around with Uxie, bulky waters, mostly Swampert, was a large bother, in addition to Fighting-types like Infernape and Machamp. To rememdy this, I used Occa Berry lead Celebi. Able to take a fire attack and relatiate with Earth Power against Fires, and hit Machamp with Leaf Storm. And Celebi's function towards Flygon's sweep is to take out bulky waters, and generally weaken the core.

Through the Microscope

Celebi@Occa Berry
Timid
EV: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Earth Power
- U-Turn
- Stealth Rock

Celebi is the in the lead role because I needed a Stealth-Rocker, and something to effectively tackle bulky waters. Leaf Storm allows Celebi to effectively take out bulky-waters, and in general damage the enemy. Earth Power complements Leaf Storm well by taking out the annoying Fire-types, such as Infernape and Heatran, which both bother this team. U-Turn to scout or if Stealth Rock can't be layed down, such as when facing a Anti-lead with Taunt. Stealth Rock is (obviously) needed, it helps combat Gyarados, Dragonite, and basically everything but Clefable, with residual damage.

Occa Berry is picked over Leftovers because I needed something that could effectively take down Fire-types, and Occa Berry + Earth Power I can handely take them out, bar Moltres and Charizard.

Celebi adds in Flygon's sweep by keeping bulky-waters at bay, or eliminating them entirely. In addition to taking out bulky waters, she can also take out bulky-grounds which also impede on Flygon's sweep.

Scizor@Choice Band
Adamant : Technician
EV: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
- Bullet Punch
- U-Turn
- Superpower
- Quick Attack

Scizor was chosen because of his synergy with Flygon, and priorty. Scizor helps keep Infernape, Dragonite, Jolteon, etc. from sweeping my team. Basically, everything that's faster then Flygon, or can be faster then Flygon and is effectively hit by Bullet Punch or Quick Attack is why Scizor is here. Bullet Punch is for STAB and its priority which helps this team extremely. U-Turn allows Scizor to scout, and to soften the opponent's team. Superpower is for Blissey, or a obvious Magnezone switch-in. Quick Attack helps to keep Infernape and Gyarados at bay, and is like a "oh shit button". Pursuit wasn't chosen because its not really needed, Psychics- and Ghosts- are effectively handled (to an extant) by Heatran, Toxicroak (ironically), and Tyranitar.

Scizor aids in Flygon's sweep because he helps to soften the opponent's team by using U-Turn, and they can switch into each others weakness'.

Toxicroak@Life Orb
Adamant : Dry Skin
EV: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
- Swords Dance
- Cross Chop
- Sucker Punch
- Thunderpunch

Toxicroak I think is the most interesting addition to the team, holding a valuable niche; able to take down bulky-waters while proving to be a offensive threat, and able to have priority.

Swords Dance allows Toxicroak to gain a +2 Attack, if the bulky water is choiced or can't do anything to him, such as the Wish-Passer Vaporeon. Cross Chop is for STAB, but the 80% accuracy hurts, but the critical hits sometimes are worth it. Cross Chop does practically the same amount of damage to bulky waters as Thunderpunch, except for Gyarados, and Swampert. Thunderpunch is there to threaten bulky-waters, except Swampert. Sucker Punch proves to a valuable asset, in that it grants perfect coverage with Cross Chop, and priority if Scizor's doesn't cut it. However, Sucker Punch is sometimes annoying if the opponent knows that I have it, or I mis-predict.

Adamant nature for maximum damage, and speed isn't really needed because I have Sucker Punch to make up for the speed. Life Orb is to maximize damage on top of Adamant, which Toxicroak needs. Dry Skin I think is the [entire] reason why Toxicroak was chosen, able to safely switch into Starmie's STAB, Suicune's, or Gyarados'.

Toxicroak aids in Flygon's sweep by 1) effectively tackling down the bulky-waters with offense, bar Swampert, 2) if given the chance +2 to soften the opponent's core.

Why not Vaporeon? Toxicroak was chosen over Vaporoen because of the more offensive nature, and the priority of Sucker Punch. However, Vaporeon is much sturdier, and has Wish to heal everyone else.

Heatran@Leftovers
Timid
EV: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Electric
- Substitute

Heatran is here to further the removal of bulky-waters, and luckily has good synergy with almost every other member. The substitute set was chosen because the extra buffer is useful, and a greedy Heatran coming in for a Flash Fire boost can be taken out. Heatran is useful for dealing with Rotoms, since they love to come into Toxicroak and use Will-o-Wisp, which Heatran can easily take, and retaliate with Fire Blast.

Fire Blast is for STAB, and can deal a good amount of damage. Earth Power is for the coverage it gains with Fire Blast, and can deal with Fire-types which trouble this team. Substitute is here because many pokemon switch which Heatran comes into the field, and it adds an extra buffer to the "counter" to Heatran. Hidden Power Electric was chosen to combat Gyarados', however this wasn't here before. Before Hidden Power Electric, I had Toxic to slowly drain anything it hits, but Gliscor had proven to be a problem to this team, so then I changed Thunderbolt on Tyranitar to Ice Beam, and then I needed something to hit Gyarados, which is the reason why Heatran has Hidden Power Electric.

Heatran helps in the Flygon's sweep by weakening bulky-waters, and acting as a offensive presence in his own right.

Tyranitar@Leftovers
Quiet
EV: 252 HP / 54 Atk / 24 Spe / 176 SpA
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Punch
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

Tyranitar is an awesome member of this team, able to effectively combat Stall. In addition, SS helps to wear down or cancel Leftover recovery the opposing pokemon.

Dark Pulse is for STAB, and since almost everyone expects Tyranitar to be physical Dark Pulse catches them by surprise, however Blissey walls Dark Pulse. Focus Punch is here to get rid of anything that resists Dark Pulse, such as Blissey. Substitute is there to make 101 Subs, which makes Tyranitar a wonderful switch-in to Blissey, whom walls Heatran. Ice Beam was only recently chosen, because Gliscor is a living pain for this team to fight, able to take every hit and recover. Ice Beam was chosen over Thunderbolt, which took down Gyarados' and Skarmorys.

Tyranitar aids in Flygon's sweep because he can further weaken bulky-waters (gosh there must be nothing left of those Waters xD) and be able to take Stall.

Flygon@ Life Orb
Naive
EV: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Roost

The star of the show! Flygon with his dual-STAB can effectively hit many pokemon hard, add Fire Blast into the mix and nothing is safe. Combine that with his Base 100 Speed and decent attack stats you got a pokemon that'll hurt you if your down.

Dragon Claw is for STAB, which was chosen over Outrage, because Outrage would allow pokemon to revenge kill Flygon, and since Flygon's supposed to sweep late-game Dragon Claw should suffice. Earthquake is for STAB, and complements Dragon Claw very nicely, able to take Steels, and Fires out of the picture. Fire Blast is to hit Skarmory and Bronzong, whom resist the dual STABs. Roost helps to recover HP, which allows Flygon to continue hitting away at the enemy.

Naive was chosen over Jolly because Jolly reduces the amount of damage Fire Blast does, so Naive was chosen because I want the full power of Fire Blast.

Thanks for reading!

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi there, it seems you have a great team here. However, I have a small suggestion to make; I highly recommend replacing Toxicroak with Vaporeon due to several reasons. I understand that you enjoy the more offensively orientated Toxicroak but Vaporeon's ability to support the team with Wish will be very useful in most situations seeing how a lot of your Pokemon are rather bulky or utilize Substitute which although is a great asset, it will limit longevity. Below is the set for easy reference.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 188 HP/252 Def/68 SpDef
Bold nature (+Def,-Atk)
- Hidden Power Electric
- Protect
- Surf
- Wish

As you can see, this is the standard Wish support set, taken strait out from Vaporeon's page in the Strategy Pokedex. The only thing I would recommend would be to use Hidden Power Electric over Ice Beam or Roar for a couple of reasons; the first being that the Hidden Power will greatly help you deal with bulky waters namely Suicune, and Swampert which threaten the rest of you team, and the second reason being that the other options that can be used in this moveslot are not beneficial to your team. Scizor and Heatran take care of the Dragon and Grass types that Ice Beam is primarily used for, while Toxic is not exceptionally useful in this scenario due to the offensive nature of your team.

Despite the creativity behind the use of Toxicroak, I also find it to be the most replaceable member of your team. It certainly occupies a rather unique niches for its ability to switch in on bulky Water-types, but it is unlikely to actually do much sweeping due to the greater amount of walls and checks that OU has to deal with it. Vaporeon is certainly a useful addition, as it possesses a great amount of bulk and its access to Wish helps preserve the longevity of your team. However, I'm going to suggest a possible alternative replacement. My reasoning is that Toxicroak functioned primarily as a switch-in to opposing bulky Water-types; therefore, its replacement should be able to perform the same task. Vaporeon is outstanding as a support Pokemon, but its lack of strong offensive firepower renders it unable to do much to other Water-types.

For these reasons, I feel that Chesto Rest Kingdra would be a great fit over Toxicroak. Kingdra is rather unique for its ability to switch in and set up on a variety of opposing threats, including both bulky Waters and Fire-types, as well as LO Starmie. Therefore, it brings some very useful resistances to your team, and gives you a way to get past bulky Water-types in the event that Celebi faints (a likely occurrence, considering that it has no means of recovery). Here is the set below:

[box]

Kingdra (M) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 144 HP/160 Atk/164 Spe/42 SpD
Adamant nature (+Atk,-SpA)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Rest
- Waterfall
[/box]
Playing with set is rather simple; simply switch Kingdra in to a Pokemon that it can safely set up on, and begin Dragon Dancing. Ignore any attempts by your opponent to induce status, and concentrate on getting as many boosts as possible. Right before Kingdra faints, use Rest and the Chesto Berry will cause you to be restored to full health with no status ailments. At this point, you can either get in a few more Dragon Dances if the situation allows, or simply begin sweeping immediately. Due to this set's tendency to net multiple boosts, even Steel-types will be taking heavy damage from Kingdra's Outrage. Kingdra also has the added benefit of forming a rather potent offensive combination with Flygon, as the two tend to lure out and weaken Steel-types so that each has an easier time sweeping. The EVs look rather complicated, but they are specifically designed to strike a balance between bulk and power. They ensure that Kingdra will only be 3HKO'd by +1 Offensive Suicune and LO Starmie, meaning that it can safely set up on both of those threats.

One problem with making this change, however, is that it opens up more of a weakness to Gyarados. This can be easily fixed by simply changing Flygon's set to the standard Choice Scarf variant. While LO Flygon is a creative concept, Scarf Flygon's speed and access to Outrage, especially when used in conjunction with Kingdra, will often be enough to clean up opposing teams late-game. If you decide to go with this change, be sure to add in Thunderpunch on Flygon's moveset to provide you with a way to revenge kill Gyarados.

Good luck with your team!

Actually, the 3HKO is on average for offensive Suicune (with Life Orb) for Chesto Rest Kingdra. Life Orb versions seem to be much more popular now, so you may want more bulk for less attack (you can't really decrease EVs on other stats). This Kingdra is often forced to use Outrage early, so it really breaks bulky waters, than to sweep (and usually nets 1-2 other mons, but it's confusion/outrage lengh). I enjoyed using it before it was on-site (and still in QC), and destroy teams. It is definitely an effective sweeper, or at least wall-breaker on balanced teams.

Another viable strategy is Double dragon + Empoleon: it works very well, and easily lures/weakens the counters. All-out attacking Dragonite (wallbreaker/lead sets) do hefty damage to would-be counters to Flygon, although you need to make sure that it's the only counter or all other counters are weakened too. If you feel threatened after taking one counter out, feel free to switch to Empoleon (defensive sets work best, but some offensive sets work too), as it can easily take water, ice, and dragon attacks. They also resist all moves super effective for one another, except Fighting.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/empoleon#Defensive_Penguin
This is the Empoleon set. It easily takes down Swampert, and can outstall Vaporeon (or Roar them out), Suicune, and other bulky waters with Grass Knot, and if you have enough hazards up, it can cosntantly Roar to rack up some damage (especially against Vaporeon, who would just try to heal every time) for Flygon to sweep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)