The serpents and the moths

Hello people cockfighter here with an rmt thats hopefully good I've been testing it on an alt and I climbed to 1500 so that should mean its good but I want to improve it to 1760 because thats the good stuff and it has relevant usage stats

Teambuilding
So when I built this team I really wanted to use bulky sub gyarados,as well as volcarona

Next I figured that I would use some rapid spin support because both were weak to rocks

Then after that I wanted a general bulky attacker

Then I wanted to make an offensive(ish) FWG core with Volc and Gyarados so I slapped on mega venusaur

Then finally I wanted a bulky attacker that can provide support

So to explain,I wanted a pair of bulky sweepers that could provide safe switches for each other,and volcarona and gyarados came to mind.I knew that to keep switching I would need rapid spin,so I put on excadrill.After that,to justify spinning,conkeldurr was put on for general power and bulk.Then I thought "Why not make a FWG core with mega venusaur?"so venusaur was slapped onto my team.Then after that,I need a reliable revenge killer,so I put on talonflame.The end of the teambuilding process

Now that you saw my teambuilding process,lets get to the team!

Huge ass threat (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 48 Spd / 64 Atk / 160 HP / 100 Def / 36 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Here is the huge ass bulky threat of the team,gyarados.It sets up sub on pokemon it forces out,then DDances on said switch in to threaten to sweep.If said switch in is rotom-w,I simply switch out to mega venusaur to dispatch/force it out.Waterfall because its water STAB,and bounce was my preferred coverage move.Sub+DD is the whole concept this set is based on,so it's natural it would be on the set.EVs are standard for a bulky sweeper.

Lolcarona (Volcarona) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 64 Spd / 196 SAtk / 248 HP
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Roost
- Giga Drain
Volcarona provides plenty of safe switches for gyarados and is a special setup sweeper,so its a natural it would be on my team.Quiver dance is one of the best setup moves in the game,so its on volcarona.Fiery dance is so I have an accurate,decently powerful move that gets STAB and has a chance to make me stronger.I use giga drain and roost because it's a bulky volcarona,and bulky volcaronas never die.

Cya Cube (Conkeldurr) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

This is my teams general check,and it does well in that department.Drain punch and mach punch are staples,and knock off and ice punch are my preferred coverage move.Guts is so I can trollolol at the rotoms who try to burn me,and so I am not hindered by status.

Sexcadrill (Excadrill) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 100 Def / 92 SDef / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
This is what can be called the glue that keeps the team together,because it gets rid of rocks and other things that might jeopardize my sweepers.8 speed EVs are so I can outrun those rotoms who put 44 speed EVs just to outspeed me,so I can guaranteed dispose of them with mold breaker earthquake.Iron head for dual STAB.EVs are so exca can live a hydro pump and defeat both physically defensive and specially defensive rotom-w 1v1.AV is so it can switch into rotom.

Penisaur (Venusaur) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 128 SDef / 252 HP / 20 SAtk / 108 Def
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb

Here is the finisher of my bulky FWG sweeper core,Mega Venusaur.It can switch into azumarill,which is something the other parts of the core cant do.EVs are so it can be a mixed wall,as it is (arguably)the only one on my team.Leech seed is so I can have a safe move to fall back on and for additional recovery,and giga drain/sludge bomb are dual STABs.Synthesis is so I have a reliable recovery move,so Mega Venusaur stays alive throughout the match.

Tyranitard (Tyranitar) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge
This thing is my SR setter,phazer,pursuit trapper,and general bulky attacker,all in one.The EVs are standard for bulky tar,and it checks a huge threat to my team,talonflame.It can set up SR on the first switch,then kill it off with pursuit on the second switch.Dragon tail is if it gets cock-y and tries to set up SD.imo its the best versatile bulky attacker in OU.

Thundurus-I:This thing is a bitch.It thunder waves all my crap,and my best answer is exca,which isnt quite the bulkiest thing in the world.

Mega Pinsir:This thing is a threat to any team,and mine is no exception.Best bet of countering it is my exca.I check it with Exca.

Aegislash:This thing is S rank for a reason.My venusaur can hardly touch it,so I have to resort to leech seed+giga drain.

IMPORTABLE
http://pastebin.com/3yi46BmL

Last edited:
instead of substitute gyarados you should use taunt and add more def evs on it so it more bulky heres a good set
Gyarados (Gyarados) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP / 68 Atk / 100 Def / 184 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

instead of substitute gyarados you should use taunt and add more def evs on it so it more bulky heres a good set
Gyarados (Gyarados) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP / 68 Atk / 100 Def / 184 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
I have ran taunt in the past,and IMO it hasnt really worked for me,but sub has.

If you need a slot you can give Stealth Rock to Excadrill in the place of shadow claw and kick TTar(he has the same attack as Exca), if you want to shuffle, give Roar to M-Saur, about megasaur probably i'd change the moveset in Synthesis, Gigadrain, Earthquake, Roar; with EQ he can even handle Aegislash and many other steel in general.

Pinsir should be handled by talonflame, don't switch in unless you're sure he will use EQ or TF will suffer too much and once TF is on the battlefield priority Brave Bird will kill him , I never tested it but I'd invest all EV in attack and speed, I think TF is too fragile becase some EV make the difference enough to let him live, is bettere being sure it kill his target than hoping he will survive an improbable hit.

I think that having both Talonflame and Volcarona on the same team is being called masochist, even if you've got a rapid spinner 2 pokemon that lose half life by Stealth rock is a suicide.

If you free some slot with TTar e Volcarona you may add for example a conkeldurr or another fight or steel pokemon to take care of kyuurem.

If you need a slot you can give Stealth Rock to Excadrill in the place of shadow claw and kick TTar(he has the same attack as Exca), if you want to shuffle, give Roar to M-Saur, about megasaur probably i'd change the moveset in Synthesis, Gigadrain, Earthquake, Roar; with EQ he can even handle Aegislash and many other steel in general.

Pinsir should be handled by talonflame, don't switch in unless you're sure he will use EQ or TF will suffer too much and once TF is on the battlefield priority Brave Bird will kill him , I never tested it but I'd invest all EV in attack and speed, I think TF is too fragile becase some EV make the difference enough to let him live, is bettere being sure it kill his target than hoping he will survive an improbable hit.

I think that having both Talonflame and Volcarona on the same team is being called masochist, even if you've got a rapid spinner 2 pokemon that lose half life by Stealth rock is a suicide.

If you free some slot with TTar e Volcarona you may add for example a conkeldurr or another fight or steel pokemon to take care of kyuurem.
Hmm,so maybe I should run a bulkier spinner like forry so its bulkier?

Scotti

we back.
Cockfighter your team is alright, but there are some flaws that i have noticed. Have you ever had a hard time with Rotom-w, because I feel like I would when using your team. It also 2 of your main sweepers, and volc can't switch into it. Excadrill is a good check to it, but it can take a hydro pump. The only one that you have that can really switch in is Mega Venusaur, however, it can get burned and rotom-w can volt switch out. That is why the best course of action would be to replace volc. Volc adds an extra Stealth rock weakness to your team, and it doesn't contribute much to your team. That is why you should replace Volc with Zapdos. Ok you may say i just added another rock weakness, however, volc was 4x weak to rock and zapdos defeat mega pinsir, aegislash, and thundurus-i. It also help against Rotom-w. Zapdos doesn't straight up wall Rotom-w and aegislash, but it does pretty good against both of them. With support from Mega saur it would be a lot easier to deal with those threats.

Next, i think you should replace Earthquake on Gyarados with Bounce. Bounce has STAB, and earthquake is only good on Mega Dos. Finally, please change Talonflame set to the Swords Dance set. Talonflame really doesn't have the bulky to run a successful bulk up set. It worked somewhat when I tried the team out, but the SD set worked a lot better. I could sweep a lot easier with SD, and cause more damage to my opponents team. Also the bulk up set gets forced out a lot easier than the SD set, because it takes time to setup with bulk up.

Here are Zapdos and Talonflame set:
Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SDef / 20 Spd
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Toxic / Hidden Power [Flying]

I hope i helped.

Cockfighter your team is alright, but there are some flaws that i have noticed. Have you ever had a hard time with Rotom-w, because I feel like I would when using your team. It also 2 of your main sweepers, and volc can't switch into it. Excadrill is a good check to it, but it can take a hydro pump. The only one that you have that can really switch in is Mega Venusaur, however, it can get burned and rotom-w can volt switch out. That is why the best course of action would be to replace volc. Volc adds an extra Stealth rock weakness to your team, and it doesn't contribute much to your team. That is why you should replace Volc with Zapdos. Ok you may say i just added another rock weakness, however, volc was 4x weak to rock and zapdos defeat mega pinsir, aegislash, and thundurus-i. It also help against Rotom-w. Zapdos doesn't straight up wall Rotom-w and aegislash, but it does pretty good against both of them. With support from Mega saur it would be a lot easier to deal with those threats.

Next, i think you should replace Earthquake on Gyarados with Bounce. Bounce has STAB, and earthquake is only good on Mega Dos. Finally, please change Talonflame set to the Swords Dance set. Talonflame really doesn't have the bulky to run a successful bulk up set. It worked somewhat when I tried the team out, but the SD set worked a lot better. I could sweep a lot easier with SD, and cause more damage to my opponents team. Also the bulk up set gets forced out a lot easier than the SD set, because it takes time to setup with bulk up.

Here are Zapdos and Talonflame set:
Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SDef / 20 Spd
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Toxic / Hidden Power [Flying]

I hope i helped.
Thanks for the input,but if I drop volc,my main output of Special damage goes,and I will change the set to the SD set.Also if you read the teambuilding process,volcarona was the one of the reasons this team came into existence.I will change the set for talonflame to the SD set though.Also,because I have conkeldurr now,I don't have enough trouble with rotom-w for it to be a problem.

Hello there buddy, Avarice here. To the rate! I think that Conk wants 120 HP / 136 Special Defense max attack. This makes him a bit more specially bulky, while still keeping 381 HP. Not crazy about Talonflame's spread. I prefer max attack max speed Adamant, with Sleep Talk over Roost, and U-Turn over Swords Dance, and also with a Band. You already have two setup sweepers, already, why have a third when you can have a wallbreaker?

Great team buddy, much ludvisc.

Hello there buddy, Avarice here. To the rate! I think that Conk wants 120 HP / 136 Special Defense max attack. This makes him a bit more specially bulky, while still keeping 381 HP. Not crazy about Talonflame's spread. I prefer max attack max speed Adamant, with Sleep Talk over Roost, and U-Turn over Swords Dance, and also with a Band. You already have two setup sweepers, already, why have a third when you can have a wallbreaker?

Great team buddy, much ludvisc.
Thanks for the criticism,I'll change the set.

Hey man, this is a pretty strong team with great options. I like how you can handle Gyara's biggest threats (Ferrothorn, Slowbro, bulky grass-types, etc) with Volcarona, and how you can check Volcarona's biggest enemies (Heatran, Talonflame, Tyranitar) with Gyarados. I think you can get a good bit higher than 1500 with some small changes, because you've got a nice foundation.

First of all I think Bulky Volcarona is going to make you really, really happy considering the overall style of the team and how much it can accomplish in the current metagame. It has way more opportunities to sweep than the LO set, because it pretty much never dies except to its hard counters. Basically you can use it as an early game pivot if rocks are off the field and fish for burns, and then once all its counters are gone set up on so many things.

Volcarona (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spd
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Roost

It's EV'd to outspeed Greninja after one boost. It beats things like AV Conkeldurr, Aegislash of course, and after one boost if it's at full health it can actually tank a Mega Pinsir Quick Attack and kill with Fiery Dance. Giga Drain over Bug Buzz for Rotom-W, Keldeo, Azumarill (who doesn't kill with Aqua Jet).

-x-

I'm noticing you've got an extreme weakness to Talonflame. You've got virtually no safe switch-ins, not even bulky Gyarados. I think your own Talonflame needs to be swapped out for something to check it, which could include Rocky Helmet Garchomp (in the worst case, CB Talonflame 2HKOs Chomp but takes itself out with it), which could run SR / Fire Blast / EQ / Dragon Tail. This gives you some very important phazing, and it would let you take SR off Excadrill for the crucial Rock Slide for hitting Mega Pinsir. You might even consider using Scarf Excadrill to make a better check to Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, Mega Zard Y, etc.

I'd swap out Leech Seed on Venusaur for Roar if you're not using Dtail Garchomp.

And I don't see how Thundurus is a problem; Mega Venusaur is a hard counter. If it's somehow breaking through because of your mixed EV spread, go full special defensive.

Last edited:
Hey man, this is a pretty strong team with great options. I like how you can handle Gyara's biggest threats (Ferrothorn, Slowbro, bulky grass-types, etc) with Volcarona, and how you can check Volcarona's biggest enemies (Heatran, Talonflame, Tyranitar) with Gyarados. I think you can get a good bit higher than 1500 with some small changes, because you've got a nice foundation.

First of all I think Bulky Volcarona is going to make you really, really happy considering the overall style of the team and how much it can accomplish in the current metagame. It has way more opportunities to sweep than the LO set, because it pretty much never dies except to its hard counters. Basically you can use it as an early game pivot if rocks are off the field and fish for burns, and then once all its counters are gone set up on so many things.

Volcarona (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spd
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Roost

It's EV'd to outspeed Greninja after one boost. It beats things like AV Conkeldurr, Aegislash of course, and after one boost if it's at full health it can actually tank a Mega Pinsir Quick Attack and kill with Fiery Dance. Giga Drain over Bug Buzz for Rotom-W, Keldeo, Azumarill (who doesn't kill with Aqua Jet).

-x-

I'm noticing you've got an extreme weakness to Talonflame. You've got virtually no safe switch-ins, not even bulky Gyarados. I think your own Talonflame needs to be swapped out for something to check it, which could include Rocky Helmet Garchomp (in the worst case, CB Talonflame 2HKOs Chomp but takes itself out with it), which could run SR / Fire Blast / EQ / Dragon Tail. This gives you some very important phazing, and it would let you take SR off Excadrill for the crucial Rock Slide for hitting Mega Pinsir. You might even consider using Scarf Excadrill to make a better check to Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, Mega Zard Y, etc.

I'd swap out Leech Seed on Venusaur for Roar if you're not using Dtail Garchomp.

And I don't see how Thundurus is a problem; Mega Venusaur is a hard counter. If it's somehow breaking through because of your mixed EV spread, go full special defensive.
Cool,I'll switch out the LO set for the bulky set,seems like it's not gonna fail me
Also I have run SR tyranitar to a degree of extent in the past,but is it good enough because CB talons run U-Turn?

Cool,I'll switch out the LO set for the bulky set,seems like it's not gonna fail me
Also I have run SR tyranitar to a degree of extent in the past,but is it good enough because CB talons run U-Turn?
Not TTar, Garchomp. Talonflame's still losing 28% HP for using U-Turn, and Garchomp gets Rocks up reliably multiple times. It might look something like this:

Garchomp (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spd
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

With enough speed to outrun Jolly Excadrill and kill with EQ. Fire Blast comes in handy v. incoming Skarmories (which Gyarados hates)

Just keep in mind though, because your team is so weak to Talonflame, you have to play it 100% safe and not let this guy take extraneous damage or Talonflame won't die from the recoil.

Not TTar, Garchomp. Talonflame's still losing 28% HP for using U-Turn, and Garchomp gets Rocks up reliably multiple times. It might look something like this:

Garchomp (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spd
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

With enough speed to outrun Jolly Excadrill and kill with EQ. Fire Blast comes in handy v. incoming Skarmories (which Gyarados hates)

Just keep in mind though, because your team is so weak to Talonflame, you have to play it 100% safe and not let this guy take extraneous damage or Talonflame won't die from the recoil.
kk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)