XY OU The Six Universal Expressions (XY OU RMT) (Hasn't peaked but you should look at this lol)

The Six Universal Expressions: A Late XY OU RMT
Created by Ruffian
Hey guys! I'm Ruffian, and I made this team with the intention of utilizing Chandelure in OU, which is a challenging, yet interesting task. Chandelure got a nice amount of buffs this generation, such as the Steel-type nerf and the new Fairy resistance. This team has seemed to work out well for me on the ladder, but I haven't gotten very high because of my own laziness. I'd love to see someone utilize this team, either on the ladder, or in tournaments! Either way, let's get onto things!
The Team

Teambuilding Process

Since Chandelure was what the team was going to be based on, it was obvious that I should start with it. I decided to use the stallbreaker variant. It's a great tool for offensive teams to use. Not only does it provide me with a spinblock, but it can be hard to break because of it's defensive EV investments and good set of STAB moves to work with. Speaking of offenses, even without fully invested EVs and a boosting item, it still hits like a truck.

With the team having a stallbreaker, I could safely bring in some more offensive threats. Choice Scarf Keldeo came to mind since it could deal with the pesky Ground-, Rock-, and Dark type Pokemon that gave Chandelure issues. In addition, Keldeo could clean up after Chandelure (and eventually the rest of the team's) work.

Both of these Pokemon had issues with Ghost-types. Chandelure struggled against threats like Gengar, and Keldeo would be forced to switch once done revenge killing. Chandelure and Keldeo both needed hazards to stay around as well, so Bisharp was a natural choice. Bisharp took care of said Ghost-types, provided a nice option against Fairies with Iron Head, provided valuable Pursuit support for Keldeo, gave a Knock Off user to the team, and gave me a way to punish Defog users such as Lati@s, Mandibuzz, Gliscor, Scizor, and Zapdos.

This team lacked hazards and a nice, bulky Steel-type, so Ferrothorn was an obvious choice. Ferrothorn could provide both Stealth Rock and Spikes, which support all of the members of the team very nicely. In addition, Ferrothorn checks a number of threats such as Keldeo, Mega Gardevoir, Greninja, and the Offensive Lati twins (without Hidden Power Fire).

There were still many special threats gone unchecked, such as Charizard-Y and Landorus-I. Chandelure also needed hazard control, so Latias made the most sense. Not only does Draco Meteor hit hard, but Defog supports a very hazard weak team (especially Chandelure, and later Mega Pinsir). I opted to go with Thunderbolt and Roost as my optional moves. Thunderbolt provides me with an answer to Charizard-Y when he switches in. Roost is my option for Latias, since her role is to take hits and deal them back a lot, not to act as my one-time cleric.

Pinsir is my final Pokemon. It takes up my Mega slot, and it acts as my sweeper. It can easily set up Swords Dance, and then wreck havoc with the combination of Return, Close Combat, and Quick Attack. It's a rather simple Pokemon, but an effective one at that. It turn my team from a bunch of cleaners, wallbreakers, and supportive Pokemon into something more focused.

In-Depth

Sadness (Chandelure) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 160 HP / 156 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball Hex
- Fire Blast Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Taunt

Chandelure provides an interesting role on my team. Despite it being the star of the show, it acts as the "glue" for my team. For one, it helps in breaking stall alongside Bisharp. Second of all, it can spinblock for my team, which is a huge boon when Ferrothorn is around to set hazards.

Aside from it's handy defensive roles, it can hit very hard with it's nice STAB combo of Shadow Ball and Fire Blast. Subsitute is nice for two reasons: it can block status from the likes of Gliscor and Chansey, and it can take a hit. With this, Chandelure can fire off a free attack.

The EVs are designed to outspeed many threats such as Adamant Bisharp, Jolly Tyranitar, and Timid Magnezone in order to outspeed and KO them (or Taunt them if it's a defensive variant, in the case of Tyranitar). There are some EVs invested into HP to let Chandelure keep Substitutes around for longer. The rest are invested into Special Attack.

In terms of synergy, Chandelure can be very useful. For one, it is one of the only team members that can take a Fire Blast comfortably (the other being Latias). Since Chandelure can get the Flash Fire boost, many will feel forced to switch, in which case you can either Taunt a predicted defensive threat coming in, or set up a Substitute. Chandelure is also the only Pokemon on the team that can take Fairy-type attacks. It can come in on the attack, and usually be able to Taunt the opposing Sylveon or Gardevoir, preventing them from doing something like putting Toxic on Chandelure, or throwing up a Wish or Healing Wish, respectively. Chandelure can also take dangerous Flying-type moves from the likes of Talonflame (maybe even a Flare Blitz if you get lucky).

Happiness (Keldeo) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Keldeo acts as my revenge killer. Pretty much all of his moves are super obvious: Click the appropriate move to kill the Pokemon! If you predict a switch, then go for the appropriate coverage move. The only exception for this rule is Scald: If you're predicting a defensive Pokemon to come in, use Scald instead of the other moves. You might not get as much damage, but a burn could mean the difference between a sweep and a dead Pinsir or Keldeo later.

These are the most obvious EVs and Nature ever: Max Speed and Special Attack to hit hard and outspeed everything you can.

Keldeo has a couple of resistances that could be important, the most important one being the Dark resistance. A majority of the time Keldeo both doesn't and shouldn't be taking hits: Rather, he should just go for the appropriate move to support the team that way.

Anger (Bisharp) @ BlackGlasses Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Bisharp provides a mix of wallbreaking and utility for this team. Knock Off is an amazing move this generation. Not only does it provide Bisharp with a more reliable STAB, but it also has the handy (and possibly game changing) effect of removing the target's item. Sucker Punch can pick off weakened targets, and allows Bisharp to outspeed faster threats such as Mega Alakazam and do a sizeable amount of damage. Iron Head provides a way to deal with Fairies, which no one else on the team can do. Pursuit is my option to revenge kill Pokemon that are making obvious switches, such as Focus Sash Alakazam after a kill.

Bisharp is essential for this team because it is my best switch-in for the Lati twins. Typically they will switch in on Ferrothorn to Defog hazards, and Bisharp can punish that with Defiant. Alternatively, if they predict something else to come in and use Draco, Bisharp can tank it because of his defensive EV investments and Assault Vest. These EVs max out offenses and gives Bisharp the defensive EVs to manage to switch in on a Draco Meteor from Offensive Defog Lati@s.

Bisharp provides me with a safe switch-in to Ghost-types like Gengar. He can come in, possibly abuse a Special Defense drop from Shadow Ball if you get lucky, and click Sucker Punch or Pursuit to kill. Spamming Knock Off is a big part of Bisharp's playstyle. Knock Off is easily one of the most spammable moves in the game, since many of Bisharp's checks and counters are reliant on items, such as Hippowdon, Skarmory, and Gliscor.

Surprise (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Spikes Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn's role is simple: Set hazards and wall stuff. This team loves all the hazards it can get, especially Chandelure, so setting Stealth Rock and Spikes is always a priority for me. Leech Seed has always been a staple on Ferrothorn sets, since it provides more recovery for Ferrothorn. Power Whip is his best STAB move.

Ferrothorn can comfortably come in on many defensive Pokemon such as Chansey, a Water-type, or Hippowdon due to his immunity to Toxic. The first thing to do is to set up Rocks. Second, you set some Spikes, or you Leech Seed to recover some health. Ferrothorn supports all of the offensively oriented Pokemon on the team (basically all the rest of them, but Pinsir and Chandelure appreciate especially).

Fear (Latias) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt Psyshock
- Roost

Latias plays a key role on this team: Clear hazards, then wall stuff like MegaZard Y and Infernape. Draco Meteor always does a lot of damage (except to Fairies), so it's easy just to come in on a Pokemon and click Draco Meteor and watch the health plummet. Thunderbolt takes care of Latias's common checks, as well as some common things it switches in on, like Skarmory, Starmie, and Mega Charizard Y. Since Latias's role is to stay around and wall special threats, I use Roost to provide more longevity.

Like I mentioned, Latias is my prime switch-in to stuff like MegaZard Y and Infernape. They're the two threats that cream Ferrothorn, my other wall. All of the other stuff aside from Chandelure can't take a hit from them, so Latias provides an extra layer of security from heavy hitters like them. Defog really helps the team, since much of my team takes a lot from hazard damage, such as Chandelure and Pinsir.

Disguist (Pinsir) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Pinsir is a sweeper. He is my win condition. I can usually come in on a Psychic- or Grass-type and set up a Swords Dance. The rest is obvious: Return for STAB, Close Combat for Steel-types, and Quick Attack for priority. It deals ridiculous amounts of damage. It usually comes in a sequence of set up hazards, set up Pinsir, sweep, deal with stally mons with Chandelure, then clean with Keldeo. Pinsir just dismantles the other team so that I can clean it up later.

Pinsir provides the essential Flying-type coverage that XY OU teams demand these days, so I have it there for that. In addition, Pinsir gets good base attack, essentially gets a Life Orb boost on everything but Close Combat, and has a really good 105 base speed stat. Pinsir is supported by a lack of hazards on his side, and hazards on the other side. Pinsir doesn't do much support himself though, but that's OK. I have Ferrothorn and Latias to do that.

Threatlist
- Staraptor
- Mega Gardevoir

Final Words

This was a really fun team to make! I hope you guys enjoy it!

Importable (Please keep names on the Pokemon)
=== [ou] The Six Universal Expressions by Ruffian ===

Sadness (Chandelure) @ Leftovers
EVs: 160 HP / 156 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hex
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

Happiness (Keldeo) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Anger (Bisharp) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Disguist (Pinsir) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Surprise (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Fear (Latias) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

Last edited:
Hey, nice team! Here are my suggestions:

Firstly, I suggest EQ over CC on Pinsir. EQ still provides the necessary coverage needed to hit Steel types, while also being a reliable check to hit Fire and Rock types coming in to take on Pinsir. It also doesn't have a stat drop, ensuring Pinsir's longevity.

Psyshock over Thunderbolt on Lati is an option as it is a great STAB move and allows Lati to deal with special walls more easily.

Lastly, Gyro Ball over Spikes on Ferrothorn Is just a personal preference, but it helps with some damage output and utilizes Ferrothorn's horrible speed.

Hope it helps!
-PK

Puzzle King
Thanks for the feedback! EQ seems better in every way, you're right. The reason I had Thunderbolt over Psyshock was for Flying-types, which my team has a hard time with. I'm trying Psyshock right now, though. Gyro Ball seems to really help against random fast threats.

I would disagree with eq>close combat. EQ has become less important now that aegislash is banned, and only really hits zard x. CC hits every steel type in ou that earthquake has, and allows you to hit rotom-w, which is a common switch-in. It also pallows you to OHKO mamoswine who does 54.6-64.2 max with a life orb ice shard, and fails to 2HKO without it. It also prevents you from having to switch out from air balloon excadrill, and instead allows you to OHKO it. The only steel type eq helps with over close combat is non-air balloon heatran, who can't switch in on CC anyways. It also allows you to ensure a 2HKO on ferrothorn which eq fails to do, OHKO's terrakion etc. Here are some cals:
252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 202-238 (57.3 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 166-196 (47.1 - 55.6%) -- 19.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 248-294 (91.1 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 596-704 (219.1 - 258.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 284-336 (73.7 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
EQ obviously OHKOs if it does not have an air-balloon

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Kyurem-B: 332-392 (84.9 - 100.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Kyurem-B: 276-325 (70.5 - 83.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 360-424 (100.2 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
244 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 148-174 (54.6 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
244 Atk Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 114-134 (42 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 326-384 (100.9 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 272-322 (84.2 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 228-270 (66.8 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 548-648 (160.7 - 190%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mega Tyranitar: 136-160 (33.7 - 39.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mega Tyranitar: 324-384 (80.3 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

PandaDuckHybrid

You didn't do your calcs at +2. It hits everything that CC can except for Rotom-Wash, plus common stuff like Infernape.
Infernape is not the most prevalent thing in ou, and is destroyed by return/quick attack anyway how is that relevant? And you dont always get an opportunity to set up an sd, so you can not assume you are perpetually up at +2. Also, at +2 close combat kills heatran anyway, so there is literally no reason why eq should ever be considered better than cc when you are at +2. Also, +2 eq fails to OHKO defensive t-tar. Please tell me what eq kills at +2 that close combat/return does not, and if it hits everything except rotom-w, why would you not use it?

Hi it's an amazing team imo. As suggested above you could run gyro ball on ferro to take care of the faster pokemon in the meta. Also CC>eq cause one of pinsir's main checks is rotom-w who's not affected by eq. Psyshock is a must on any of the lati-twins as it takes care of special walls like chansey. And LO >black glasses on bisharp. And maybe change taunt on chandelure to wow and shadow ball to hex. This takes care of physical sweepers that switch in to chandelure.

Hope I helped glhf playing :D

May I say something? How does it matter that Chandelure spinblocks becuase it gets nailed by every single spinner that you'll see in OU; read: Starmie/M-Blastoise!
I agree mega-blastoise completely runs through your team. It can easily tank a HP electric from a specs keldeo HP electric and secret sword
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 178-210 (49.7 - 58.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

This the normal rapid spin set run by players. Which is guaranteed 2HKO after spikes and SR damage. But a +2 return from mega pinsir kinda does the trick.

So I think there should be a problem with that particular issue.

Glad to be of help if u found this helpful.:D

I agree mega-blastoise completely runs through your team. It can easily tank a HP electric from a specs keldeo HP electric and secret sword
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 178-210 (49.7 - 58.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

This the normal rapid spin set run by players. Which is guaranteed 2HKO after spikes and SR damage. But a +2 return from mega pinsir kinda does the trick.

So I think there should be a problem with that particular issue.

Glad to be of help if u found this helpful.:D
???

When did mega-blastoise suddenly become a thing in OU?
You will probably encounter about 3 in 250 games or so, and only if you are really low ladder. LOL.

???

When did mega-blastoise suddenly become a thing in OU?
You will probably encounter about 3 in 250 games or so, and only if you are really low ladder. LOL.
Tru but just pointing out some checks for the spin blocking of chandelure. Blastoise may not be a thing of ou but if encountered its a needless loss. And yeah excadrill is definitely a threat . c:

Hey dude cool team, loving the chandy set. Seeing as you rely on Bisharp to tank Draco's how about Trying an Assault Vest>Black Glasses and changing the ev spread from 252+Atk,252 spe to 252+Atk,192 SpD, 64 HP now this may seem somewhat leftfield and ass vest can be ass a lot of the time I feel like it would benifit you greatly having a much more reliable lati and clefable switchin. You could speed creep stuff liek 44 spe rotom and 40 spe heatran if you like and still be reasonably bulky.
Calcs: 252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 64 HP / 192 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp: 97-114 (33.7 - 39.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO,
4 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 64 HP / 192 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp: 90-106 (31.3 - 36.9%) -- 68.9% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Pursuit vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 306-362 (95.9 - 113.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO(80 Bp)

Master Sunny-EX
Disciple_1

You two are right. I do use Chandy to block momentum from them, but I know I can't stay in. I usually just kill them, then come in to set hazards with Ferro again. Thanks for pointing that out.

casectiv

That Bisharp set is amazing for me thank you so much.

Only problem is that I can't reliably kill Mega Gardevoir anymore. Ferro is destroyed by Focus Blast.

PandaDuckHybrid

I realize that CC is better now. I forgot how common Rotom-W was lol. For some strange reason I thought that Mega Pinsir got Mold Breaker. Probably because that's what he gets in his base form.

You could use Pain Split instead of Taunt on Chandelure. There's no way Chansey can touch Chandelure at all outside of Toxic and you can easily avoid being afflicted by setting up a Substitute. Pain Split gives Chandelure some form of recovery and does a better job in regards to wearing down Chansey. You should also try out Heatran > Ferrothorn. Heatran would allow the team to better check Mega Manectric + Mega Charizard Y + Bird Spam while still providing Stealth Rock support. Heatran and Ferrothorn have similar resistances so your team won't miss out on much defensively. The only problem with the change would be the teams weakness to Ground type moves (and Landorus-) but you have 1 immunity and one 1/2 ground resist so you can easily play around that (Heatran can also hold an Air Balloon to mitigate the weakness as well). Good luck with the team.

Heatran @ Leftovers / Air Balloon
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)