The Smogon Mario Kart 8 Thread

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'm just slightly disappointed the Mercedes karts aren't a bit better considering the whole thing, but they sound cool when you're driving them at least lol.

Also, me and my bro downloaded the Pre-Order for the DLC coming up, and while waiting until May 2015 for the second half stuff kinda sucks, I'm loving driving around as different color Shy Guys lol

At least the first half is just in November around Smash Bros release

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I'm not buying the DLC, it's not worth it.

The Mercedes cars are awesome though... I will use the W25 from now on :o

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was REALLY hoping that Electrodome vid wasnt the one where i ate shit

BOY WAS I WRONG

Man fuck time warner, I wanna play with you guys again soon. We should be corperate assholes and do MERCEDES RACES with white shyguys
AND WHITE YOSHIS TOO WE GOTTA SHOW THAT PRIVILEGE but i would be very interested in doing this as long as im at home and free to do so.

I'm not buying the DLC, it's not worth it.

The Mercedes cars are awesome though... I will use the W25 from now on :o
they're 2 new cups (8 courses) each, effectively making it $12 for 50% of the courses that shipped with the game. even if you don't care for the "micro dlc" of new characters/karts, it's a good deal compared to pretty much any dlc on the market.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
they're 2 new cups (8 courses) each, effectively making it $12 for 50% of the courses that shipped with the game. even if you don't care for the "micro dlc" of new characters/karts, it's a good deal compared to pretty much any dlc on the market.
Except its £11... or £7 each. Which is $18+ Which is NOT worth it. Especially when I paid £45 for the game already.

What has me most excited for the new DLC (besides DRY BOWSER) is the prospect of more retro tracks. Wario's Gold Mine already has me excited as it was one of the better tracks from the Wii. What I'm hoping for most is more tracks from the MK Super Circuit that aren't Bowser Castles or other generic tracks; stuff like Cheese Land and Ribbon Road will please me very much. Even if we don't get great tracks, I'm still buying it because you realize the actual content of Mario Kart games is pretty bare-bones when you've been playing it long enough.

Also saying I'm somewhat disappointed in the Mercedes DLC. I wish they'd picked better vehicles to clone the stats of (read: usable in time trials), but meh. I guess there's novelty in driving real world cars in a Mario Kart game, and hey, it's free extra stuff so whatever. I'm also glad I got my stats page so I can keep track of my coins. Only about 2000 more till the Gold Glider!

Last edited:

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Salt, to be fair, the gla is usable in gcn sherbet land + dolphin shoals time trials, and the w25 silver arrow is usable wherever the pipe frame (or a reskin) is used for time trials (so far, mario kart stadium, sweet sweet canyon, mount wario, bone-dry dunes, rainbow road, gcn dry dry desert, snes donut plains 3).

out of the 3 mercedes-benz dlc vehicles, my favorite is the w25 silver arrow. it looks cool, and it works as well as the pipe frame.

shameless #mario plug :]

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What I'm hoping for most is more tracks from the MK Super Circuit that aren't Bowser Castles...
YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

GBA Bowser Castle has the best music in MK!

Also, congratulation Mario Kart 8. You are the first Nintendo game to ever induce rage quitting. Hope you're happy with yourself.

Kind of off topic here, but I'm just linking this video here to see what people think of it. It's about how, although the items in Mario Kart can decide a game through luck, they are still a good thing.

What I noticed is that maybe 75% percent of the comments below the video are "Blue Shell is fucking bullshit because n00bs can beat me and n00bs don't deserve to even be playing video games because they aren't even hardcore and they think Blue Shells are good but really Blue Shells are worse than cancer by the way I am the best Mario Kart player ever but I still play other racing games because they don't have that Blue Shell pigshit" or something similar.

What most of the comments didn't do was address the actual points made in the video, so I'm taking the debate to an audience I see as markedly more intelligent than the general Youtube crowd to see what you think.

(Disclaimer: I am an absolutely terrible player. I also enjoy playing the game for its own sake, rather than beating other people. If I enjoyed beating other people I'd find something I was good at.)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The Blue Shell is a necessary balancing element, simple as that. It's undeniable that once a player gets in 1st they tend to stay there, the Coin system and the fact that 2nd place rarely gets Red Shells only ensures that. I would consider myself a pretty good MK player all around, not top tier by any means, but very consistently good. When you're online and playing against people of similar skill level, when you get in the back of the pack it's almost impossible to get out of it because people get and will use the top items indiscriminately to try and get into a higher spot. Once 1st finds a breakaway early in the race, ie. 2nd and 3rd taking the brunt of the incoming Red Shells or other items from 4th-7th, that normally gives them enough space to just cruise until the end.

I hate when people say "Blue Shells are n00b items" because they're not. So much of the game relies on luck, and in a perfect world for Blue Shell to not be required in the game would have to have everyone to be of the mindset to only attack people in 1st place, unless they have an extra Red Shell and 2nd isn't holding a blocking item. You simply cannot beat someone in MK on speed/skill alone once someone gets ahead (when people are of a similar skill level anyway, but even mediocre/moderately good players will beat top tier players if they get a decent distance ahead).

breh

強いだね
I watched that video a while ago and agree that it's an important balancing tool, but it's badly implemented. Blue shells are garbage items, but not for the reason you're thinking.

Consider which players actually get the blue shell.

What is the person in 12th (or whatever the place it is that gets them, idek) going to do with a blue shell? Piss somebody off and maybe hit a couple of people, I guess. Would he or she take take it over the Lightning, the Golden Mushroom, the Bullet Bill or the Starman? Fuck no. It's not as bad as an offender as the Blooper (still a scrub slayer item even with the drop to traction that comes with it) or coins anywhere but first place (where it's at least "your" fault for not keeping a better item), but it deprives the player that gets it of a chance at a recovery, at least til the next item box. That player gets an item that benefits third / second place as every other player around them gets something far superior.

This is a bit off topic but does anyone else find the karts difficult to control? Compared to Mario Kart DS, Wii, and 7, the drifting feels very weird since you go more outwards, making it very difficult to cut through tight corners. A majority of the time when i drift in a narrow area, i often slam into walls and obstacles and i wouldn't have if i was playing the aforementioned games. This doesn't break the game for me since the inside drifting bikes are available, but it does make it less enjoyable since I have less viable options to use in races.

Oglemi

Borf
Yea, me and my brother said the same thing. Drifting in this Mario Kart is just different, and idk if I even really like it. The problem isn't that you drift outwards, it's actually the opposite problem. The problem is that you can't continue to drift outwards like you can in Wii, instead you pick a line and then cut in from there as you're drifting. Where this drifting difference is most tangible is on the first major turn on Moo Moo Farms. In Wii, you could start your drift at the start of the turn and drift all the way to where the turn ends at the start of the field by the Moo Moos. In MK8 this is impossible. If you start your drift at the very start of the turn you'll end up in the left hand wall near the question boxes. If you're on a bike you'll end up in the wall even sooner.

Speaking of bikes, holy shit are they awful to get used to in this one. The drifting mechanic is so different in this one it's almost like they're not drifting corners at all but cutting the corner.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

GBA Bowser Castle has the best music in MK!

Also, congratulation Mario Kart 8. You are the first Nintendo game to ever induce rage quitting. Hope you're happy with yourself.
Just the last line of this... I've been ragequitting nintendo games far before Mario Kart lol :P

I can't decide whether to buy the DLC or not, what are the tracks like in it for people who have it? I don't play MK8 much at the moment (other games taking up my time) so I am wondering if its worth it?

Just the last line of this... I've been ragequitting nintendo games far before Mario Kart lol :P

I can't decide whether to buy the DLC or not, what are the tracks like in it for people who have it? I don't play MK8 much at the moment (other games taking up my time) so I am wondering if its worth it?
?_?

The DLC isn't out yet. The only retro track confirmed so far is Wario's Gold Mine, and we know there are going to be tracks based on F-Zero, Animal Crossing, and The Legend of Zelda, but we don't have specifics. Am I misunderstanding what you're asking or something?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
?_?

The DLC isn't out yet. The only retro track confirmed so far is Wario's Gold Mine, and we know there are going to be tracks based on F-Zero, Animal Crossing, and The Legend of Zelda, but we don't have specifics. Am I misunderstanding what you're asking or something?
Oh... No I am just a pleb lol. I thought the first one was out with a set of tracks, but apparently not :) I'll wait until people say whats what with the tracks before I buy in that case.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hey, the dlc update is live, so you can go download it now if you have already preordered it. i haven't been able to try it out yet, but i'll edit this post with my thoughts on the dlc later.

Lyto

Experience Tranquility
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been playing the dlc a little bit, mainly TTing though so I haven't played all of the tracks. I've gotten a pretty good time on hyrule circuit (1'53"395) and Ice Ice Outpost (1'51"687) so far, both in the blue falcon which seems to be an improved pipe frame. So far the dlc seems good, bar the horrendous corner mechanics on snes rainbow road...

Oglemi

Borf
All of the new tracks are hella fun, Dragon Driftway is my favorite so far both visually and actually to race on, it's just so smooth and well done. Mute City is really really fun too and the no coins on the track is interesting.

The Blue Falcon is my favorite new Kart thus far but I might be swayed by the Tanooki Kart.

The Hylian track is funny, so much Zelda cameo/music/lingo throughout the whole track lol.

On a side note, these new DLCs make me think that the next installment of Mario Kart will likely end up being a Super Smash Bros Kart, which would be so fucking baller oml. Please make it happen Nintendo, pleaseeeee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)