Challenge The Speed Run Challenge

My best is about 4:32 with Heracross on Y and I think over 4 hours with Blaziken in OR.
Nice! I still have yet to speed run a newer game, I don't know what it is, I just like doing it on gen 1-3. Probably cause ive played them through more times so im more familiar. Also, were those on cartridge or emulator? And do you perchance have any videos or pics to proove it?

Nice! I still have yet to speed run a newer game, I don't know what it is, I just like doing it on gen 1-3. Probably cause ive played them through more times so im more familiar. Also, were those on cartridge or emulator? And do you perchance have any videos or pics to proove it?
On Cart of course. I don't have any photos sadly. From what I remember Malva was VERY annoying due to Brave bird and being a lot more faster than Heracross... Was it bad that I used O-powers?

On Cart of course. I don't have any photos sadly. From what I remember Malva was VERY annoying due to Brave bird and being a lot more faster than Heracross... Was it bad that I used O-powers?
Haha, thats what can be really annoying in speed runs- when you encounter that one Pokemon that has your number. Luckily X items and coverage can usually take care of them. And if not, the mentally challenged AI will help you out. One time I speed ran sapphire with blaziken just to mix it up. It really was pretty easy, but I figured id have trouble with the 7th gym because not only were they psychic, but it was also a double battle and I only had one battle worthy pokemon. Luckily I had a lvl 5 poochenya with me that the 7th gym AI was determined to kill... with psychic moves. Needless to say it ended better than I had hoped.

Speed runs are probably super easy in gen 6 with the new exp share and all the characters that let (/ force (we see u wally)) you (to) fast travel

not to mention that you can get infinitely usable TMs + free mega evolutions

Speed runs are probably super easy in gen 6 with the new exp share and all the characters that let (/ force (we see u wally)) you (to) fast travel

not to mention that you can get infinitely usable TMs + free mega evolutions
Actually, most speed runs utilize only one Pokemon, so infinite tms and the exp share don't really make a difference for the most part. Mega evolutions can definitely be helpful, but once you get down to it, the real pros usually don't mega evolve unless they have to because of the mere seconds that it takes. Crazy, right? The occasional forced fast travel in the newer games can be helpful, but the time made up by those is definitely lost on longer cutscenes. Some of the newer games take up about twice the amount of time to speed run than the older games in fact, but because of claims of decreasing difficulty could definitely be considered easier. Personally I've only done speed runs in pre gen 5 games, so I can't state a valid opinion on which is harder- old or new. Anyway, you should try out a speed run sometime! They're super fun and only take a few hours.

Actually, most speed runs utilize only one Pokemon, so infinite tms and the exp share don't really make a difference for the most part. Mega evolutions can definitely be helpful, but once you get down to it, the real pros usually don't mega evolve unless they have to because of the mere seconds that it takes. Crazy, right? The occasional forced fast travel in the newer games can be helpful, but the time made up by those is definitely lost on longer cutscenes. Some of the newer games take up about twice the amount of time to speed run than the older games in fact, but because of claims of decreasing difficulty could definitely be considered easier. Personally I've only done speed runs in pre gen 5 games, so I can't state a valid opinion on which is harder- old or new. Anyway, you should try out a speed run sometime! They're super fun and only take a few hours.
I'll try when I need the cover legendary a lot I guess :P

but one thing though, TMs should make it easier because of the infinite amount of PP you can have. I often need to go to the pokemon center because of my lacking PP, so that should help?

I'll try when I need the cover legendary a lot I guess :P

but one thing though, TMs should make it easier because of the infinite amount of PP you can have. I often need to go to the pokemon center because of my lacking PP, so that should help?
I'm not going to lie, I had to look this one up and try it out to see if tms could be abused for infinite pp (it sounded a little too broken to be true, but I figured I'd check) and to my surprise, it worked (in X at the very least). I did not realize you could abuse tms for essentially infinite pp. Haha, I'll have to look up some gen 6 runs to see if they use it and try it out myself when I endeavor a gen 6 speed run.

Sun and Moon aren't even going to be worth speedrunning. I mean, they're amazing games, but with the massive amount of cutscenes in them, it's going to be too boring. Nevertheless, there will be some people out there with a lot of free time on their hands that will give it a try...

Sun and Moon aren't even going to be worth speedrunning. I mean, they're amazing games, but with the massive amount of cutscenes in them, it's going to be too boring. Nevertheless, there will be some people out there with a lot of free time on their hands that will give it a try...
Yeah, I'm sure some people will try it, but I agree that the ridiculous amount of cutscenes will make it a much less popular game to speed run than any previous installment.

Quick heads-up: the Pokemon game for this year's SGDQ is going to be Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver. It'll be starting pretty much this time tomorrow - ten o'clock British time (so work it out for whatever time zone you're in).

For those who haven't seen the run before - well you'll be in for a few surprises. To say any more than that would be spoiling things, but it should be a good watch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)