The Sweeping Legacy

TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

I decided to build a team around the ever-versatile Infernape, after seeing its stellar stats, who wouldn't? I was also intrigued by its wonderful ability to tote both Nasty Plot and Slack Off, which go hand-in-hand on a sweeper.
After that, I discovered my Treecko I had sitting in my PC. It kind of saddened me seeing such potential sitting around so I picked it up for the ride, with the intention of using it as a Leftovers+Leech Seed supported Special Sweeper.
I poked around in my PC box a bit more and discovered some nice surprises: The underrated Sharpedo, a powerful Hippowdon and Aerodactyl, and a good rounder to the team, the spinblocker Mismagius.

TEAM:

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spe/ 4 SpDef
Nature: Bashful
- Slack Off
- Nasty Plot
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power (Electric)

Description: The idea here is simple, Nasty Plot one or two times and then heal yourself with Slack Off. Then I feel free to sweep with Hidden Power and Flamethrower depending on which has the best type matchup. It might not have the best coverage, but there's always the option of switching out.

Sceptile @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Spe/ 252 SpAtk/ 4 Def
Nature: Relaxed
- Energy Ball
- Leech Seed
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Description: It is full of a similar EV spread as Infernape but has a slightly different structure. Instead of boosting your stats, you attempt to Leech Seed the opponent. This, combined with Leftovers, will slowly boost your health over the course of the battle. Energy Ball is your reliable STAB option, Focus Blast beats the Steel-Types that resist the other attacks on the set, and Dragon Pulse rounds it out against common Dragon-Flying types, and also works on Latias and Latios, all of which resist Fighting and Grass.

Mismagius @ Shell Bell
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def/ 252 HP/ 4 SpDef
Nature: Modest
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball

Description: Yet another Special Sweeper, but yet again slightly different. Mismagius sets up with Nasty Plot, and relies on a Shell Bell for recovery. You see, a Shell Bell gives you more HP for the more damage you inflict, so Nasty Plot Mismagius gets a LOT of HP. I spread out Mismagius' EVs so it would be VERY balanced defensively, giving me the ability to wall against more kinds of attacks while setting up. I have Focus Blast to deal with those whom resist Mismagius' STAB (Namely Dark and Steel) for Super or Normally-Effective damage. Energy Ball rounds out the set for type coverage.

Hippowdon @ Dread Plate
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 SpDef/ 252 Atk/ 4 HP
Nature: Adamant
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off

Description: Not much strategy here. I just kind of slapped on some good moves and one strategic egg move (Slack Off) for good type coverage. The EV spread lets me resist most of what is thrown my way while I strike back with 252 EV Boosted Atk..

Sharpedo @ Wave Incense
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Nature: Adamant
- Aqua Jet
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Description: I know, I know. "Sharpedo sucks! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING?!"... I am thinking that the only thing pulling Sharpedo down is its lackluster defense system... SO WHAT?! Everyone has used a Glass Cannon sometime, right? With astonishing 125 Base Attack, respectable 95 Speed, and surprisingly high 95 SpAtk, Sharpedo is far from 'Horrible'. It can utilise Wave Incense for a power 72 Aqua Jet and a power 144 Waterfall. Crunch is another reliable STAB against Grass and other Water resisters. Earthquake rounds out the set for a nice, good type coverage.

Aerodactyl @ Stone Plate
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Def/ 4 SpDef
Nature: Quirky
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Taunt

Description: My lead on the team. It handles suspected Entry Hazard carriers with high speed combined with Taunt. After Taunt is used, it successes to use its own Stealth Rock, and then Roar through the foe's team to deal serious damage to every Pokemon sent out. It is essentially the ultimate staller, and when Octillery comes in to play, Aerodactyl shuts it down with Stone Plate and STAB Boosted Stone Edge.

You do know you're allowed more than one of the same held item right? Its just that you said something earlier in a different RMT about the guy having 4 Leftovers or something, and here you're using some really bad items (I mean, Dread Plate Hippowdon?).

I'm not going to do a proper rate here, since to me it looks like you haven't played much at all and have just picked pokemon you thought were cool from your game cartridge. I'd say definitely play a lot more on something like Pokemon Online, and take a look at some good 4th gen teams (e.g. the warstory archive especially).

I suggest that if you really want this to be archived you take a look at some archived teams like:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76014

Look at the formatting and amount of detail as well as the content of the introductions, threat lists and explanations in the RMTs here.

Think about what each move does for the Pokemon its on andwhether it could be switched for something more effective.

Think about how the archived teams attempt to support their main sweeper (eg infernape) and how they deal with its counters as well as offensive pokemon.

NOT REALLY

You do know you're allowed more than one of the same held item right? Its just that you said something earlier in a different RMT about the guy having 4 Leftovers or something, and here you're using some really bad items (I mean, Dread Plate Hippowdon?).

I'm not going to do a proper rate here, since to me it looks like you haven't played much at all and have just picked pokemon you thought were cool from your game cartridge. I'd say definitely play a lot more on something like Pokemon Online, and take a look at some good 4th gen teams (e.g. the warstory archive especially).
I didn't "PICK COOL POKEMON", it is simply a coincidence that some good Pokemon ARE cool. Also, there IS a rule in certain tournaments that prohibit the use of multiple of the same item... ALSO, I am pretty experienced in this kind of stuff, and this just isn't my most strategical team, but I just wanted to put it out there. ALSO, this is called an RMT, not a "Bash me for something I said on another forum and then track down my own RMT to say it out loud", I'll have you know. As a final statement, I'll say I added the Dread Plate on Hippowdon to boost Crunch to power 88... It might not seem like much, but it can mean the difference betweena win or a loss, and if you really had enough knowledge to criticise me like that, you would know that.

OK!

I suggest that if you really want this to be archived you take a look at some archived teams like:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76014

Look at the formatting and amount of detail as well as the content of the introductions, threat lists and explanations in the RMTs here.

Think about what each move does for the Pokemon its on andwhether it could be switched for something more effective.

Think about how the archived teams attempt to support their main sweeper (eg infernape) and how they deal with its counters as well as offensive pokemon.
Ok I will!

Omg dude, seriously, take some criticism -___- bubbly is a fairly experienced battler, and you have Slack Off on a pokemon that has paper thin defences, I'd be taking his advice...

Something like Dread Plate on a good wall like Hippowdon is very weird, when Leftovers increases his longevity. Doing 8 more power on a move that doesn't hit many of his switchins particularly hard at all, just, does not at all make sense.

Also, suggesting that I use a Blissey in the hyper offence team I posted, sort of in itself proves you are not the experienced battler you think you are. I recommend bubbly's advice of jumping on one of the battle simulators, looking at archived teams/logs, and then start posting something which is rateable.

Wow, that sounded harsh, and it's nothing personal, but you need to suck it up and take people's advice when using Wave Incense Sharpedo and Dread Plate Hippowdon..

EDIT: He never at all mentioned anything you did on a previous forum either...

Omg dude, seriously, take some criticism -___- bubbly is a fairly experienced battler, and you have Slack Off on a pokemon that has paper thin defences, I'd be taking his advice...

Something like Dread Plate on a good wall like Hippowdon is very weird, when Leftovers increases his longevity. Doing 8 more power on a move that doesn't hit many of his switchins particularly hard at all, just, does not at all make sense.

Also, suggesting that I use a Blissey in the hyper offence team I posted, sort of in itself proves you are not the experienced battler you think you are. I recommend bubbly's advice of jumping on one of the battle simulators, looking at archived teams/logs, and then start posting something which is rateable.

Wow, that sounded harsh, and it's nothing personal, but you need to suck it up and take people's advice when using Wave Incense Sharpedo and Dread Plate Hippowdon..

EDIT: He never at all mentioned anything you did on a previous forum either...
I'm not being that fierce I'm just defending myself... Everything is about debates, some people have clashing opinions every once in a while, it's unavoidable. Also, I'm pretty sure I said that I didn't agree with your "Hyper Offense" tactic so that's why I recommended Blissey, to round it out. Finally, bubbly DID state something regarding four Leftovers from another post. Oh, and one more thing. With 71 base defenses and my EV spread, Infernape may not be a tank but he's nowhere near 'Paper thin', just compare him to something like my Sharpedo, or anyone's Rampardos.

I'm not being that fierce I'm just defending myself... Everything is about debates, some people have clashing opinions every once in a while, it's unavoidable. Also, I'm pretty sure I said that I didn't agree with your "Hyper Offense" tactic so that's why I recommended Blissey, to round it out. Finally, bubbly DID state something regarding four Leftovers from another post. Oh, and one more thing. With 71 base defenses and my EV spread, Infernape may not be a tank but he's nowhere near 'Paper thin', just compare him to something like my Sharpedo, or anyone's Rampardos.
Yes, you are "being that fierce". When someone gives you criticism, you just rant at them. If you can't take criticism, don't post a team. And if you're going to try defending something, bring legitimate arguments; otherwise, you make yourself look like an obstinate child who cannot accept he is wrong.

With 71 base defenses, Infernape takes over 50% from just about every neutral attack, and is OHKO'd by almost all super-effective attacks, so Slack Off is wasted on him. I also don't have any clue how you claim that you have a defensive EV spread on your Infernape, since you only put 4 EVs into Special Defense, and tossed everything else into Speed and Special Attack. Naty Plot Infernape should have Fire Blast, Focus Blast, and Grass Knot. The only thing that Hidden Power Electric hits harder than Infernape's STABs or Grass Knot is Gyarados, and only RestTalk Gyarados has a chance of not being OHKOd by a boosted Grass Knot after Stealth Rock damage (and even then, it's a very slim chance). And there's really no reason to go with natures that don't boost any stats; make Infernape Timid.

Aerodactyl should have natures switched as well, this time to Jolly. And Aerodactyl's defenses are around the same as Infernape's, so you really can't call it "the ultimate staller", no matter how much you invest in its defenses, especially when you have absolutely no means of healing it. It would be much better suited to being a suicide lead. Give it a Focus Sash and transfer all the EVs you have in Defense to Speed. Roar doesn't really help against any lead but Ninjask, so that should be replaced by Earthquake to increase Aerodactyl's coverage.

Finally, have you actually tested this team in battle? Most of what you say your team does really doesn't sound like like it would work in actual battle (especially Sharpedo, who doesn't do enough with Aqua Jet and is outsped and OHKOd by most offensive threats).

Connor, it's great that you're an enthusiastic player, but you need to learn the intricacies of the game. Max defense Aerodactyl? Slack Off Infernape? Sharpedo?!? It's good that you're thinking for yourself, but the standard sets are standard for a reason. Before you post a new team or try to help others with theirs learn more about the metagame. Bubbly (a great rmt-er, who helped me a ton) and everyone here want to help you, but you need to take our advice or there's no point in us trying. If you want to PM me for help, I'd be happy to give a bit of advice.

Happy playing, and good luck!

WELL

Yes, you are "being that fierce". When someone gives you criticism, you just rant at them. If you can't take criticism, don't post a team. And if you're going to try defending something, bring legitimate arguments; otherwise, you make yourself look like an obstinate child who cannot accept he is wrong.

With 71 base defenses, Infernape takes over 50% from just about every neutral attack, and is OHKO'd by almost all super-effective attacks, so Slack Off is wasted on him. I also don't have any clue how you claim that you have a defensive EV spread on your Infernape, since you only put 4 EVs into Special Defense, and tossed everything else into Speed and Special Attack. Naty Plot Infernape should have Fire Blast, Focus Blast, and Grass Knot. The only thing that Hidden Power Electric hits harder than Infernape's STABs or Grass Knot is Gyarados, and only RestTalk Gyarados has a chance of not being OHKOd by a boosted Grass Knot after Stealth Rock damage (and even then, it's a very slim chance). And there's really no reason to go with natures that don't boost any stats; make Infernape Timid.

Aerodactyl should have natures switched as well, this time to Jolly. And Aerodactyl's defenses are around the same as Infernape's, so you really can't call it "the ultimate staller", no matter how much you invest in its defenses, especially when you have absolutely no means of healing it. It would be much better suited to being a suicide lead. Give it a Focus Sash and transfer all the EVs you have in Defense to Speed. Roar doesn't really help against any lead but Ninjask, so that should be replaced by Earthquake to increase Aerodactyl's coverage.

Finally, have you actually tested this team in battle? Most of what you say your team does really doesn't sound like like it would work in actual battle (especially Sharpedo, who doesn't do enough with Aqua Jet and is outsped and OHKOd by most offensive threats).
Well, I can see your point, but I accept constructive criticism, and they didn't need to really add all those nitpicks at me, they could have just been a little more polite and pointed out the weaknesses.

Like I told the other guy, I can accept constructive criticism, tell me my weaknesses, don't insult me. I wanted to be rated not thrown about.
Ok, I'm going to try and put this bluntly, and in a way that you can understand easily. Whether you accept it or not is your problem. Here it is, flat-out. Your team sucks, and your posts reek of inexperience. You say you want constructive criticism, but it's hard to say anything nice about this team, and you either yell at or ignore the people who DO bother trying to improve this waste of a thread. You're using different sets and Pokemon for the sake of being different, not because they work. You want us to praise you for using Dread Plate Hippowdon? Sorry, but that just isn't happening, because it's a bad set.

So here's my "constructive criticism". Download this: http://pokemon-online.eu/, load your team, and get on Smogon U when the server comes back up. Play for a while, and see how well your team does. I can almost guarantee you will not win against competent battlers. After you've played for a while, join Smogon's tutor program. Read up on OU articles. You'll learn there what you need to do to actually be a successful battler.

I hope you take this advice, but in all likelihood you will either a) ignore this post entirely, or b) yell at me saying that your team is good and I'm just narrow-minded, etc., etc.

Oh and stop double posting. It's called the multi-quote button.

THANK YOU!

Connor, it's great that you're an enthusiastic player, but you need to learn the intricacies of the game. Max defense Aerodactyl? Slack Off Infernape? Sharpedo?!? It's good that you're thinking for yourself, but the standard sets are standard for a reason. Before you post a new team or try to help others with theirs learn more about the metagame. Bubbly (a great rmt-er, who helped me a ton) and everyone here want to help you, but you need to take our advice or there's no point in us trying. If you want to PM me for help, I'd be happy to give a bit of advice.

Happy playing, and good luck!
Thank you! This is all I really wanted! Someone who was polite and actually RATED MY TEAM rather than rating ME. I wouldn't be so fierce if I wasn't being called 'inexperienced' and such. If everyone else acted like you, I would be a whole lot happier.

Ok, I'm going to try and put this bluntly, and in a way that you can understand easily. Whether you accept it or not is your problem. Here it is, flat-out. Your team sucks, and your posts reek of inexperience. You say you want constructive criticism, but it's hard to say anything nice about this team, and you either yell at or ignore the people who DO bother trying to improve this waste of a thread. You're using different sets and Pokemon for the sake of being different, not because they work. You want us to praise you for using Dread Plate Hippowdon? Sorry, but that just isn't happening, because it's a bad set.

So here's my "constructive criticism". Download this: http://pokemon-online.eu/, load your team, and get on Smogon U when the server comes back up. Play for a while, and see how well your team does. I can almost guarantee you will not win against competent battlers. After you've played for a while, join Smogon's tutor program. Read up on OU articles. You'll learn there what you need to do to actually be a successful battler.

I hope you take this advice, but in all likelihood you will either a) ignore this post entirely, or b) yell at me saying that your team is good and I'm just narrow-minded, etc., etc.

Oh and stop double posting. It's called the multi-quote button.
I'm not yelling. I'm not ignoring. I'm saying this: I don't want 'praise'. Saying that my 'constructive criticism' angle isn't well doesn't necessarily make it true. I would try to change my team's angles if I was given POLITE ideas with the slightest level of MANNERS. I just want to be addressed in a friendly way. AKA: I don't think your team will do very well, try this:. If more people took that nicer aproach, it would be easier for me. I just don't want to be insulted, I want to be RATED. One last thing: If I wanted to go to the tutoring program, I would have. The reason I use RMT is so I can get suggestions, not a legion of commenters relling me to get tutored. So please, if you have a problem, post it, and tell me how to fix it.

Okay, look. I am going to rate / rebuild this team properly, although it will mean replacing or drastically changing most of the members, to give you a good idea of a teambuilding process, as well as a reasonable team which you can get some experience with. I do request though that you do a lot of playtesting on a pokemon simulator.

I'm starting off with the basic premise that you're looking for a team full of faster sweepers, and that you want to base the team around a Nasty Plot Infernape.

The first thing I usually consider when trying to build a team around a single sweeper is how to remove that sweepers counters. In this case, NP Infernape is typically beaten by bulky Waters (before it sets up), and by faster revenge killers such as Starmie, Gengar, ScarfRotom etc after it sets up. So, lets find something which attracts some of these pokemon but can routinely take them out itself. Life Orb Heatran is a good example, since with Explosion it will be able to KO any bulky water switchins and has an insane damage potential in and of itself. Besides, very few pokemon can continue coming in against multiple powerful Fire attacks. So, lets add this Heatran to the team:

Heatran @ Life Orb, 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe- Timid nature
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Explosion
-HP Electric
These two are focused mainly on breaking past waters. On offense its important to continue themes like this. Now we're looking at a significant Water weakness so lets add something else which can beat most offensive water types 1v1 but also tends to attract defensive types. Gyarados and Kingdra would both be good choices, but here I'm going to go with Kingdra because it can defeat LO Starmie (which is usually a difficult pokemon for offense to deal with). The ChestoRest Kingdra set is becoming extremely popular at the moment, meaning most people expect that, so lets go with something different which fits in with the very offensive nature of the team:

Kingdra @ Life Orb, 252 Atk / 24 SpAtk / 232 Spe, Lonely nature
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Outrage
-HP Electric (Hydro Pump is standard for hurting Skarmory, but this works well too as a reasonable Gyarados check).
Great, so now the team is Infernape + Heatran + Kingdra. The team is already looking focused on special attacking so you're generally going to want to keep using pokemon which use special attacks.

---Edit: Yeah not going to finish due to work coming up :( Anyway, Pm'd you Connor with the final team I was suggesting.

I'm not yelling. I'm not ignoring. I'm saying this: I don't want 'praise'. Saying that my 'constructive criticism' angle isn't well doesn't necessarily make it true. I would try to change my team's angles if I was given POLITE ideas with the slightest level of MANNERS. I just want to be addressed in a friendly way. AKA: I don't think your team will do very well, try this:. If more people took that nicer aproach, it would be easier for me. I just don't want to be insulted, I want to be RATED. One last thing: If I wanted to go to the tutoring program, I would have. The reason I use RMT is so I can get suggestions, not a legion of commenters relling me to get tutored. So please, if you have a problem, post it, and tell me how to fix it.
Well, the problem is that the team simply isn't good on a fundamental level. People don't feel the need to rate it because it shows a lack of understanding of the current metagame and of what should be common knowledge. There was an article back in issue #14 of the Smog that said it pretty well:

Tip #5: If a Team Requires Too Many Changes, It's not Worth a Rate

Please note that this tip, our final tip, is a PROTIP from the team rater badge-leader, Haunter, and is one that any aspiring team rater must abide to if he/she is attempting to procure the TR (team rater) badge. This tip is the tip that all aspiring team raters must follow, and for good reason, as it helps team raters determine the difference between the teams that are worth the time and effort needed to be rated, and the teams that are, in simple words, a waste of time for any rater to be rating. Although this does seem like common sense, many team raters forget to check if the team they are rating is actually worth the effort needed. Remember, it's Rate my Team, not Build my Team.

Sure you can help better a team which includes Pokemon like Choice Band Dragon Dance Gyarados and all-out attacking Blissey, but remember that if the OP of the team had any experience or knowledge about the metagame, he/she wouldn't have posted such a mediocre team. If he/she didn't make an effort to make their team the best that they possibly could have, then it doesn't make sense for you to take the time and effort to rate a team which had a minimal amount of effort put into it. To put it into simple words, if a team is in need of too many changes, it's probably not going to be worth the time and effort needed to be rated. Even if you have enough time to rate such a team, it's probably better if you invest your time and effort into more deserving teams, which have been constructed and refined by someone with a passable amount of experience of playing the game.
So yeah, I'd actually have to agree with the majority here. Familiarize yourself with standard sets, and learn what works and how to beat it. Then if you can make some good changes, post your team again and I'd be happy to rate it.

Well, the problem is that the team simply isn't good on a fundamental level. People don't feel the need to rate it because it shows a lack of understanding of the current metagame and of what should be common knowledge. There was an article back in issue #14 of the Smog that said it pretty well:

So yeah, I'd actually have to agree with the majority here. Familiarize yourself with standard sets, and learn what works and how to beat it. Then if you can make some good changes, post your team again and I'd be happy to rate it.
Well, the point of the RMT is to be rated, so obviously at the point that I posted this, I didn't know how bad it was, so that's not a very good argument.

Okay, look. I am going to rate / rebuild this team properly, although it will mean replacing or drastically changing most of the members, to give you a good idea of a teambuilding process, as well as a reasonable team which you can get some experience with. I do request though that you do a lot of playtesting on a pokemon simulator.

I'm starting off with the basic premise that you're looking for a team full of faster sweepers, and that you want to base the team around a Nasty Plot Infernape.

The first thing I usually consider when trying to build a team around a single sweeper is how to remove that sweepers counters. In this case, NP Infernape is typically beaten by bulky Waters (before it sets up), and by faster revenge killers such as Starmie, Gengar, ScarfRotom etc after it sets up. So, lets find something which attracts some of these pokemon but can routinely take them out itself. Life Orb Heatran is a good example, since with Explosion it will be able to KO any bulky water switchins and has an insane damage potential in and of itself. Besides, very few pokemon can continue coming in against multiple powerful Fire attacks. So, lets add this Heatran to the team:

Quote:

Heatran @ Life Orb, 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe- Timid nature
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Explosion
-HP Electric
These two are focused mainly on breaking past waters. On offense its important to continue themes like this. Now we're looking at a significant Water weakness so lets add something else which can beat most offensive water types 1v1 but also tends to attract defensive types. Gyarados and Kingdra would both be good choices, but here I'm going to go with Kingdra because it can defeat LO Starmie (which is usually a difficult pokemon for offense to deal with). The ChestoRest Kingdra set is becoming extremely popular at the moment, meaning most people expect that, so lets go with something different which fits in with the very offensive nature of the team:

Quote:

Kingdra @ Life Orb, 252 Atk / 24 SpAtk / 232 Spe, Lonely nature
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Outrage
-HP Electric (Hydro Pump is standard for hurting Skarmory, but this works well too as a reasonable Gyarados check).
Great, so now the team is Infernape + Heatran + Kingdra. The team is already looking focused on special attacking so you're generally going to want to keep using pokemon which use special attacks.

---Edit: Yeah not going to finish due to work coming up :( Anyway, Pm'd you Connor with the final team I was suggesting.
Thank you for the first proper rate, Bubbly.

Well I didn't actually finish it here :) Btw, if you have made some changes to the team it'd be good to know how its working out for you.

FinalLegendZero, I would just like to point out that sharpedo is AWESOME, and a choice banded or life orbed max attack aqua jet is great for revenge kills or major damage on low defense pokes. Also, I am not being biased about sharpedo's awesomeness XD.

SHARPEEEEEDOOOOO!!!!!

But i would get rid of shell bell on mismagius, for lifeorb or leftovers. And for some reason i want to suggest an offensive Vaporeon to your team instead of Mr.Sharp, i just feel it would be useful :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)