SM PU The World Spins [PU Hail]

ishtar

your affection
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
PU Leader

The World Spins...

Hello! Welcome to my first RMT in which I present one of my favorite PU builds in recent time. Started working on this around a month ago when I had thought about wanting to build a double Scarf team. The team ended up evolving a lot through time and I was able to have a lot of success with it. The build proved to be effective against ladder as well as in tour matches, as will be showed in the replays. I truly believe that every iteration up to the final point was more effective than the last, helping against slower and offensive threats that the earlier versions had, so I decided to showcase even some older replays to show its evolution in practice. Im incredibly happy with how this wen, and even if the team wasn’t able to make it into the sample teams, Im very happy to showcase it in this format and I hope that yall like it!

I tried to get to number 1 after being around the 20s for a while, but I knew that once I made it a goal itd get in my head. I ended up getting to top 15 but then I was too lazy to keep going after I lost a match to an evil Ice Beam Gastrodon.

Teambuilding process.

As I said previously, my initial idea was to build a Double Scarf team. Bluffing the Choice Scarf on either of the mons and still having another fast Pokemon in the form of Slash under hail just semed so cool. I don’t hold records of the very first iterations of the build, which had Pokemon such as Ferroseed, Jellicent and even Choice Scarf Stealth Rock Aurorus, but I specifically remember Evi and I talking about two specific Choice Scarf Pokemon. Aurorus was the initial Hail setter of the build and revenge killer, prodiving almost uncontested offensive power.

Primeape was initially supposed to function as another Choice Scarf setter able to create a fun volt-turn core with another one of the Pokemon of the team.

Sandslash-Alola is the intuitive Hail mon, greatly benefiting from the pivoting provided by some of the members of the team.

Pom-Pom checks a lot of the stuff that normally is able to rk Sandslash and Abomasnow, such as Gurdurr, Throh and some Chan sets. Also functioning as a solid stallbreaker and status spreader.

Muds sets Rocks, checks Normal and Fighting types, forming a nice defensive core with Pom Pom.

Eel is the slow pivot of the team, heavily supporting Sandslash-Alola and Aurorus get safely on the field as well as providing very relevant offensive presence with its perfect coverage.

Aurorus later turned into Abomasnow for the sake of having better Speed control and function as a better check to Pokemon such as Carracosta and Omastar. The initial version of Abomasnow also had Ice Shard since I was trying to fix Choice Scarf Dodrio issues, which would normally be very difficult to deal with in the end-game without some sort of prio.

Later on Scarf Primeape was changed for Choice Band Skunk, functioning as a strong physical wallbreaker with priority for Pokemon such as the aforementioned Dodrio as well as some other troublesome Pokemon such as Raichu-Alola and Sableye. Skunk also forms a nice offensive core with Abomasnow and both are able to create great amounts of chip with Hail and Aftermath/ Pursuit.

The team.

Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Earthquake

Functioning as a threatening revenge killer and hail setter, this mixed attacker is able to threaten big portions of the meta. The added Speed provided by the item gives Abomasnow a great offensive presence towards Pokemon such as Simisear, Raichu-Alola, non-Choice Scarf Dodrio, Sp. Def Sanslash-Alola and certified difficult to deal with setup sweepers such as Omastar and Carracosta after a Shell Smash, some of which Scarf Aurorus cannot outspeed. Abomasnow is also able to function as an anti-Rain and Sun measurement and the main support for Sandslash-Alola.

Sandslash-Alola @ Icium Z
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Sandslash-Alola needs no introduction. The designated wincon of the build does what it does best with its superb offensive presence, amazing Speed tier under hail, coverage options and even its ability to function as a Spinner (even though the purpose of the team makes it so this is only necessary very rarely due to the teams offensive nature).​

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost

Oricorio Pom-Pom functions as one of the most reliable Stallbreakers and Fighting-checks in the tier, able to threaten diverse Pokemon such as Gurdurr, Hitmonchan, Tangela, Victreebel as well as Stall mons like Audino, Quagsire and Pyukumuku. Apart from this, stallbreaker Pom-Pom is able to Toxic expected switch-ins such as Regirock, Eelektross, Lanturn, creating as much chip as possible for a Sandslash sweep.

Mudsdale @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Mudsdale is another one of those mons that need no introduction. Functions as the Stealth Rock setter, the pseudo-Normal resist of the team able to take on Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Dodrio, Kangaskhan, removers such as Skunk and Sandslash-Alola as well as a Pseudo-Fighting check to Pokemon such as Primeape and Chan, Mudsdale is also able to Toxic expected switch-ins such as Tangela and even stay in on Eelektross to Toxic it thanks to its natural bulk.​

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off

Eelektross provides much needed slow pivoting for the team. Functioning as a slow pivot with decent specially defensive stats allows Eelektross to be valuable defensively and offensively, able to Knock off items, threaten the likes of Omastar, Sensu, Ferroseed, Cryogonal, Froslass as well as Pokemon such as Mudsdale, Quag and Regirock.

Skuntank @ Choice Band
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Crunch
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit

The team still had a few holes against certain faster threats such as Dodrio, Raichu and Simisear. While Eelektross, Sandslash under hail and Aboma could take care of these threats to a certain degree, the utilization of a strong wallbreaker with great priority only seemed reasonable on the last slot. Skuntank provides all of this and more. Its ability to Pursuit trap, create chip with Aftermath and the aforementioned faster threats offensively turned Choice Band Skuntank into the final peace of the puzzle. Skunk is also able to threaten slower Pokemon such as Sableye, Claydol, and pivots such as Eel and Lanturn.

Threatlist:

Super duper fire special wallbreakers: Pokemon such as Simisear, Raichu-Alola, and Rotom-Frost are able to pressure and take out Eel, but these are far from unbeatable thanks to Choice Scarf Abomasnow, Sandslash-A under hail as well as priority from Skuntank.

Some Fighting-type sets: Pokemon such as Crabominable, Choice Band Hitmonchan and Choice Band Primeape don’t have a lot of safe switch ins but the player is able to play around them as well as revenge kill with the faster threats at the teams disposal.

597.png

Spike stack: Hazard stacking is usually not that hard to deal with due to the nature of the team being mostly offensive. You really wanna maintain the momentum and focus on doing as much damage as possible unless you really must get rid of hazards. Despite this, Eel is able to beat all of the Spike setters and Slash can get rid of them when strictly necessary.

Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Earthquake

Sandslash-Alola @ Icium Z
Ability: Slush Rush
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost

Mudsdale @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off

Skuntank @ Choice Band
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Crunch
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit

Some of you have helped me thru personal shit, some have given me useful advice or have simply shown interest in my ideas, while others have been amazingly fun to build and play with: Specs, Clefable, sketchy ecchi, Rav3ndan, PhantomHurious, gum, EviGaro, PTF, 'sei., j0gurt, MARCU5theBAW5, Urusius, barba, TJ, Chloe, vivalospride, GayGreenGorilla, Nakeeb, DrReuniclus3, SeelofApproval, Rekeri, royesk, DraconicLepus , Quagg, tom holland , uhuhuhu7, Smallsmallrose, Juuno, Estarossa, Squash17 ^_^, Cake, curiosity , UnleashOurPassion, Akir, Twilight, PapaBisexual, MaroGod, Oathkeepre, Mahmudkipz, Nightingales, tlenit1, yeezyknows, PinkDragonTamer, MamboTND, SilvioGuacamole, wuhoodude, Kink, Luna Bae ♥, BackAtYouBro,
Scizorphobic, jonago, Ktütverde, KID A, POKEPOWERFULL.

Getting to this point in PU I feel satisfied with my building and with how Ive grown in the tier and the community,and that’s thanks to a lot of the people who I mentioned previously. Shit hasn’t really gone as planned always but despite the weird circumstances, silly issues and awkward interactions, Im happy and thankful for what this weird experience has brought to my life. Im thankfull for all of you in one way or another! All of you have made this experience pleasant with the exception being Gum.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-958038475

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-960921845 (No Z-Tour Finals)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-948545353 (Older version w Double Scarf)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-948950400 (Older version w/ Double Scarf, game came down to a Speed tie but I still had to land 2 Stone Edges, despite this the replay shows the amount of pressure imposed by the wallbreakers)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-960458097 (This replay shows a sometimes tough MU that being Cryogonal. Could go Wood Hammer Aboma if it becomes too much of an issue but is normally not that hard to handle, this time Silv-Water and Cryo pressured Eel a lot though).

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-961954852 (Hail vs. Hail mu)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-966065809 (With Band Hitmonchan, as suggested by Shuckle)

As the replays show, as well as the ladder peak from the build, this Hail is able to function in many different scenarios against multiple matchups. It covers for most metagame threats in the current PU and is able to be picked up easily, as long as the player is aware of the offensive presence they must maintain through the different matchups. (Special thanks to Evi, Specs and Uru for helping w the build and for Chloe cause I looked at your rmt to get an idea of wtf I had to say, this shit is too complicated)

Thank you all for reading!

Last edited:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello KellyKafka,

Great first RMT here, really solid job. As for the team it looks very solid which is not surprising considering who you mentioned as help for the build. I think a lot of the offensive threats you mentioned are not to threatening in the long run as if you are trying to win with Alolan Sandslash most of them don't need any chip at all to go down to an non-boosted attack and things like Simisear only need the tiniest amount of chip damage. Hitmonchan is easily handled between Mudsdale and Oriocorio-Pom-Pom as well. I love the idea of Toxic over Calm Mind on Oricorio-Pom-Pom as well, this lets you deal with Fighting-types a bit more reliably as well as still giving you a great way to deal with hard stall builds. Honestly there isn't much you can change with out opening holes to other things. I do however feel your biggest threat is opposing Hail teams as your only real way of dealing with Alolan Sandslash is your own Alolan Sandslash. I do have one change you can try that helps with that match up, while not opening many holes. All in all this is a very solid team, well done.

--->

Hitmonchan (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

Choice Band Hitmonchan is a cool Pokemon at the moment that does similar things for your team that Skuntank does. It is a hard hitting Wallbreaker with great coverage, but this allows you to easily revenge kill Alolan Sandslash and will give your team an edge against opposing Hail teams. This does open up Sableye slightly more but not really enough to make it an unbearable match up as you have 3 solid special attackers to help keep it weak for your Alolan Sandslash.

Team Changes <-- Click for Importable.

ishtar

your affection
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
PU Leader
Hello KellyKafka,

Great first RMT here, really solid job. As for the team it looks very solid which is not surprising considering who you mentioned as help for the build. I think a lot of the offensive threats you mentioned are not to threatening in the long run as if you are trying to win with Alolan Sandslash most of them don't need any chip at all to go down to an non-boosted attack and things like Simisear only need the tiniest amount of chip damage. Hitmonchan is easily handled between Mudsdale and Oriocorio-Pom-Pom as well. I love the idea of Toxic over Calm Mind on Oricorio-Pom-Pom as well, this lets you deal with Fighting-types a bit more reliably as well as still giving you a great way to deal with hard stall builds. Honestly there isn't much you can change with out opening holes to other things. I do however feel your biggest threat is opposing Hail teams as your only real way of dealing with Alolan Sandslash is your own Alolan Sandslash. I do have one change you can try that helps with that match up, while not opening many holes. All in all this is a very solid team, well done.

--->

Hitmonchan (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

Choice Band Hitmonchan is a cool Pokemon at the moment that does similar things for your team that Skuntank does. It is a hard hitting Wallbreaker with great coverage, but this allows you to easily revenge kill Alolan Sandslash and will give your team an edge against opposing Hail teams. This does open up Sableye slightly more but not really enough to make it an unbearable match up as you have 3 solid special attackers to help keep it weak for your Alolan Sandslash.

Team Changes <-- Click for Importable.
Yo, that's a very cool option that I totally did not consider, despite how much it makes sense on that slot. I'll give this a shot but on paper it already seems to work really well as a Skunk replacement. I appreciate it! ^-^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)