XY OU The Wrongtoad and Piroetta (Poliwrath and Avalugg team - 1700+)

looiiyut

GIOVANE AUTISMOTTA
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi guys! I'm looiiyut2 and this my first RMT. I made this team just for fun and to test the "wrongtoad" poliwrath on OU tier. Why poliwrath? Because i'm mad and I like testing stuff like this! The real reason is the rising in the usage of crawdaunt due to Aim's video in which he used Hugo's team (i don't know if the name is right).
I'm really impressed by this pokemon and he's useful against rain and sand teams, lando-t, crawdaunt, bisharp and Baton pass! (Now smeargle carries spore because of poliwrath! right dEnIsSsS ? lol :))
I peaked over 1700 with this team (see the last replay or press alb_prova on PS if you don't believe me). I'm a bad player so How did I get this result? The answer is: medium ladder is bad!

Poliwrath

Wrongtoad (Poliwrath) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Circle Throw
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This is the standard rest-talk poliwrath's set used in RU. Physical defensive evs spread allow to resist at main stab of excadrill, tyrannitar or lando-t. Water absorb ability is usefull against stuff like Kabutops and Crocune or rain team in general.
Circle throw is an annoying move, scald is a powerfull move for a defensive pokemon.
This Toad is a great counter to Geopass' team in which smeargle doesn't carry spore.

Nano malefico (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch

Jirachi is an amazing pokemon and he covers the fairy weakness of poliwrath. Mega gardevoir and clefable check and the"hax-star" of my team! Spedef set, body slam to paralyze ground type, Fire punch over u-turn to cover the lack of fire pokemon and I can win The 1vs1 against magnezone.

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball/Extrasensory

AV raikou is great! He tanks Mega manectric or thundurus that are really annoying for wrath and he is my response to bird spam . The EVs provide enough Speed to outrun Thundurus. Volt switch to keep momentum, Hidden Power Ice is coverage to hit Landorus, Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Garchomp and shadow ball for Psychic and ghost type.

Piroetta (Avalugg) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Avalanche
- Roar
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

My rapid spinner! I like testing this unusual pokemon. Why spedef evs spread? Oh, he can survive to thundurus or landorous that don't carry focus blast after stealth rock damage and ohko with avalanche. Roar for stuff like sub-Gyarados and Recover restores HP, increasing Avalugg's longevity.

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast

M-Hera is my Mega evo and answer to breloom, megasaur, mew, ferrothorn and stall teams. With this evs spread I can outspeed mega ttar and the bulky will o wisp megazard x. He is usefull against bisharp if poliwrath is down. I prefer bullet seed over SD to ohko AV azumarill.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off/superpower

A XY team must have a fairy. AV azumarill is the best set in my opinion for this bunny. With an Assault Vest and the given HP investment, Azumarill can easily tank hits from the likes of Greninja and Keldeo but also physical attackers such as Mega Charizard X, Mega Gyarados, and Dragonite.

Nano malefico (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Wrongtoad (Poliwrath) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Circle Throw
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Piroetta (Avalugg) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Avalanche
- Roar
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Mega Charizard X, Mew, Mega Medicham, Mega Heracross, Sableye, BD Azumarill

Last edited:
Hello there, interesting team, and toad!
I can see you having trouble against offensive SD Mega Scizor, he has great bulk, and once he's at +2 he can easily wipe the floor, only poliwrath can hope to resist its attack and the best he can do is circle throw him, or hoping for a scald burn.

Rotom is also another problematic 'mon for you, he can easily wall you out, and the only one who ohko him is Heracross, said pokemon does not like to enter against an Hydro Pump (wow too, though, since by not mega evolving you lose majority of Heracross' potential), however, and Raikou is burn bait, while not be able to cause great havoc against the washing machine.

With that said, I'd suggest you two easy change who don't drastically change your team's structure:
The first one is Give Jirachi 56 Speed Evs.
This way you'll be able to outspeed and ohko scizor after he took some damage by setting up, Jirachi will not lose a good deal of bulk, also, so everything is cool.
The second one, for Rotom-wash I would suggest you to change Avalugg for offensive Latios.

Don't get me wrong, i'm all in for underdogs having their time to shine in OU, however, I don't see Avalugg having a great sinergy here, sure he can rapid spin, and roar, but even with a special defensive spread he's easily smashed by majority of special attacks, and Avalugg's lack of offensive presence is another problem for you, especially paired with Poliwrath.

Latios however gives you an excellent counter to Rotom-wash, who can defog (also it is not Stealth Rocks Weak) while capable of dealing out tons of damage, Latios also has great sinergy with Poliwrath, Jirachi Azumarill, and Heracross.
Set:

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Fire]/ Roost
- Psyshock/ Roost

I added HP Fire in order to give Scizor less opportunities to set up, also with psyshock and HP Fire you'll also cover Ferrothorn and MegaVenusaur

Hope it helped, good luck

Last edited:

looiiyut

GIOVANE AUTISMOTTA
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello there, interesting team, and toad!
I can see you having trouble against offensive SD Mega Scizor, he has great bulk, and once he's at +2 he can easily wipe the floor, only poliwrath can hope to resist its attack and the best he can do is circle throw him, or hoping for a scald burn.

Rotom is also another problematic 'mon for you, he can easily wall you out, and the only one who ohko him is Heracross, said pokemon does not like to enter against an Hydro Pump (wow too, though, since by not mega evolving you lose majority of Heracross' potential), however, and Raikou is burn bait, while not be able to cause great havoc against the washing machine.

With that said, I'd suggest you two easy change who don't drastically change your team's structure:
The first one is Give Jirachi 56 Speed Evs.
This way you'll be able to outspeed and ohko scizor after he took some damage by setting up, Jirachi will not lose a good deal of bulk, also, so everything is cool.
The second one, for Rotom-wash I would suggest you to change Avalugg for offensive Latios.

Don't get me wrong, i'm all in for underdogs having their time to shine in OU, however, I don't see Avalugg having a great sinergy here, sure he can rapid spin, and roar, but even with a special defensive spread he's easily smashed by majority of special attacks, and Avalugg's lack of offensive presence is another problem for you, especially paired with Poliwrath.

Latios however gives you an excellent counter to Rotom-wash, who can defog (also it is not Stealth Rocks Weak) while capable of dealing out tons of damage, Latios also has great sinergy with Poliwrath, Jirachi Azumarill, and Heracross.
Set:

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Fire]/ Roost
- Psyshock/ Roost

I added HP Fire in order to give Scizor less opportunities to set up, also with psyshock and HP Fire you'll also cover Ferrothorn and MegaVenusaur

Hope it helped, good luck
Thanks for the rate. Yes, this team had latios with hp fire in a previous version but it was a test team and I wanted another rapid spinner or defogger. :] I'm looking for another underdog to solve rotom and mega scizor weakness. However, latios is a good solution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)