The XY Ubers Replays of Excellence Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-74422289

I won't give away the final result, as it's a tense and exciting match vs Unrelented.

Unrelented uses some underrated pokes (see: chansey, scizor, giratina) to full effect, whilst I use a stall-oriented team that attempts to wall his hard hitters and play around his walls. Some very tense predictions, some insane ones too (see hippo eating thunder, scizor pursuiting aegilash, and when I switch in Ygod)

Comments during and after the match, inside the replay.

Definitely an amazing match, Piexplode. Hard-fought on both sides. I probably pulled the trigger a little early but I didn't think I could continue predicting at that level for much longer haha. Live and learn I guess. The match highlights the utility of some uncommon sets and was full of mind games. It could have really gone either way if some slightly different moves were chosen. Not sure if warstories are really a thing anymore with the advent of replays, but this is one of those matches where the thought processes would be very interesting imo.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Please pay attention to the title. This isn't the silly things on ladder thread.

That game was pretty interesting and I don't want to sound mean but I wouldn't say you were being outplayed. Rather, you were playing horribly. You basically sacrificed your Giratina for no real reason and then attempted an incredibly premature Xerneas sweep despite the obvious Xerneas counter in Jirachi, which is complete Zekrom bait if you didn't go all in with Xerneas, which was basically already dead by the time you tried to save it for later. Furthermore, your handling of Dialga with Mewtwo was a waste with Ho oh still alive and well. Some of your predictions near the end were pretty decent but at that point you HAD to play your ass off because you had already squandered half of your team for no real reason. The fact that you even gave him the opportunity to miss was probably a mistake since Zekrom already pretty severely ravaged his team and Kanga did nothing that Zekrom/Ho-oh couldn't accomplish already.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-74778602

Not sure about any "plays of excellence" on my part until the endgame but my opponent Unrelenting was a very solid player and made some great plays throughout the battle. He outplayed me till the very end but this replay goes to show you how just 1 turn can make or break an entire battle. Also a certain Groudon set created back in gen 4 shows just how dangerous it can be this gen.

Last edited:
Wasn't the most spectacular replay through & through, as you said :p, but the end was very well played and resulted in an impressive comeback. I'm not quite sure why Unrelenting sacked his Kyogre against your Palkia, knowing it was a Rest variant and tbh he should have predicted that switch and went with thunder versus surf. Turning point was really when he allowed your Groudon to double boost without taking any damage. Probably should have straight out attacked with scizor rather than roost. Well played tho

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-74778602

Not sure about any "plays of excellence" on my part until the endgame but my opponent Unrelenting was a very solid player and made some great plays throughout the battle. He outplayed me till the very end but this replay goes to show you how just 1 turn can make or break an entire battle. Also a certain Groudon set created back in gen 4 shows just how dangerous it can be this gen.
I am Unrelenting and I definitely played pretty loosely at the end of that battle. Throughout the entire beginning of the game I was scouting out your sets and weakening your Xerneas checks and planned to set up Xerneas on a Resting Palkia. I definitely should have gone to Giratina right away rather than allow you to set up like that, but I really didn't expect that Groudon set at all, even though I've used it myself.

Wasn't the most spectacular replay through & through, as you said :p, but the end was very well played and resulted in an impressive comeback. I'm not quite sure why Unrelenting sacked his Kyogre against your Palkia, knowing it was a Rest variant and tbh he should have predicted that switch and went with thunder versus surf. Turning point was really when he allowed your Groudon to double boost without taking any damage. Probably should have straight out attacked with scizor rather than roost. Well played tho
I used Surf on the Palkia switchin because I wanted it to switch in and stay in and wanted to induce a Rest because as I mentioned I was planning on sweeping with Xerneas. If I had Thundered there then he would have had to go to Groudon and it would have taken longer to sweep. Sometimes the best prediction is to set up what you want to happen rather than punish what you expect to happen. Sacrificing Ogre was probably not necessary but I thought I had the game more or less in the bag at that point and it was Toxiced and getting weak so I didn't have any intention of sweeping with it. The correct play that game was not to attack with Scizor but to immediately switch to Giratina but I didn't switch directly into 'don because I didn't want to risk being outsped and 2hkod by a crit EQ or something. I should have factored in the possibility of that set. I thought I was playing it safe but I guess not.

Last edited:

Player-0

(*′☉.̫☉)
build a better team that can handle offensive threats
That doesn't help me at all. I can only prepare for so much. Ideally my kyogre would have been able to KO the shuckle so I wouldn't even have to worry about the sticky web.

That doesn't help me at all. I can only prepare for so much. Ideally my kyogre would have been able to KO the shuckle so I wouldn't even have to worry about the sticky web.
That's not really an excuse, even offensive teams like yours can prepare for most major threats in the game but, not predicting something as gimmicky as Shuckle to have those kind of sets is a mistake that a lot of new players make (which I'm asuming you are). So you'll learn more if you keep playing etc...

Player-0

(*′☉.̫☉)
That's not really an excuse, even offensive teams like yours can prepare for most major threats in the game but, not predicting something as gimmicky as Shuckle to have those kind of sets is a mistake that a lot of new players make (which I'm asuming you are). So you'll learn more if you keep playing etc...
kk, Ill keep shuckle and trick room palkia in mind next time. rofl. The jank though.

kk, Ill keep shuckle and trick room palkia in mind next time. rofl. The jank though.
Trick Room Palkia is actually decent pick, because many Ubers are 90 base speed based and pretty much none of them bother with -speed natures and 0 IVs in speed, so you'll 'outspeed' technically all of them. It's also the only way palkia can 'boost' his speed, so it's 100% viable set. It's also nothing new, it was used before in Gen 5. While it's not as common as other sets, but it's something which you need to watch out for ;).

About Shuckle - residual damage and Sticky Web really made your life harder this game. If someone uses Shuckle - it's ONLY for Sticky Web. So something to remove tham quickly (I assume your Poison Arceus has Defog ?). So the best way would be to send him on Shuckle and just eliminate his hazards every single time he would try to set them up. If you had WoW/Toxic on him as well, it would be nice to also make sure he takes residual damage. If he has Rest - it would mean free turns for your other Pokemon to use.

Glad to see that Weakness Policy Groudon actually worked for someone. Every time I used it they would switch their Ogres out of my Groudon.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Your opp isn't that good. If he didn't make the horrendous play of low kicking the Mawile then you were straight out fucked. It wasn't really a display of skill but rather how one can make a comeback after their opp starts playing terribly. Your team wasn't really built for handling HO and had your opp been able to apply offensive pressure properly then the match would've ended a lot sooner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)