This catchy name will make people rate it (that and its good) OU

Bold=Edit

Ok guys I dont actually know how good you guys will think it is, I just said that to get you in here to rate it and look at it. I like making teams and feel I am getting better at it but there is still something that feels off in general. That being said on to specifics about making this team.

The idea for this team came about after some trolling. I thought to myself "hey self lets troll" and then did. A mind numbing six hours later I decided to stop trolling and to make a team (it was actually more like one hour but hey). One of the threads I had read was on building a team around one sweeper and how to trap/lure its threats.

The first step was picking out a sweeper and so I decided on Empoleon because I have seen how it rampages through teams (the petya version). At this point I have to get counters for bulky waters, super fast sweepers (Im talking to you jolt and scarfnape), and of course the fat pink whore (yea you know who that is). Well that is where the core came from...

Finally a lead. I thought I would pick something that would be able to 1. Produce some kind of entry hazard, 2. Destroy some kind of threat to empoleon, 3. Act as a check in emergencies, and 4. Be all around bad ass. Well there was only one candidate. But with recent changes I relized there was a second as well. Sorry Roserade, Gliscor took you down with it. Without further ado, team Imgoingtopwnyou.

Overview

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature: 252 ATK/252 Speed
Taunt
Stealth Rock
U-Turn/Zen Headbutt
Explosion

---

Well apparently the Roserade did not fit my bill enough. Actually it did but thanks to ShadowSpeedRider89, I am revamping the team with new changes to make it more synergistic than before. Gliscor had been causing me problems (mine) so I decided to scrap it and move into a more offensive direction. Toxic support is no longer too necisarry as I can handle most bulky waters with my new additions. This Azelf lead is going to serve to taunt, get rocks up, and get out using U-Turn and serve as a check later in the game. Explosion will be nice for problem pokes too but unfortunatly Azelf draws in some ghost types sometimes. But my other new team member can handle that if I dont switch it into a shadow ball.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
---
The most used pokemon in OU today. Normally I absolutely hate using it. HATE USING IT. But I make an exception here. One of my two blissy counters, using pursuit with choice band or Uturning whatever comes in. BP for revenge killing. Also, its my primary counter to Latias, Celebi, and TTar, all which can ruin my empoleons sweep (Celebi if its the subseeder and even the offensive one sometimes). It also draws fire attacks to give to heatran. On most of my teams, if i have to change something, this is the first to go, but right now it serves as a major check to major threats and also as one of the counters that can remove anything in empoleons way.

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 44 HP/212 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power
- Psychic

Replacing Roserade as my grass powerhouse capable of taking down many of empoleons counters. Celebi, unlike Roserade, keeps a ground resistance thanks to her typing. Unfortunatly I am giving up toxic spike removal, toxic spikes and sleep powder but I believe my two new additions are well worth those sacrifices as Celebi is a reliable counter to some of the pokemon that have been gving me issues. Celebi's EVs are to make sure it outruns ALL heatran and can KO them with earth power. Celebi and Heatran in tandum can take down raging infernapes of almost any variety and to make matters better, can take out those pesky Rotom-H or any other type with psychic. Being pursuit bait is worth it as almost everything that can pursuit wont like weavile, scizor or heatran coming in on them and I can then procede to either SD and try to sweep or Uturn to a counter or predict the incoming poke and kill it.

Weavile (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Night Slash
- Ice Shard
- Brick Break
---
My little Weavile. Most of the sweeps actually come from this thing. Send it in when it can (blissy not on FT, shadowball, psychic or something like that). SD on the switch (unless its dangerous then use the propper move) and fire away. It usually can take 2 or 3 things out and is my primary dragon counter. Scizor can pose a problem so I usually wait till scizor is low (around 30-35) or gone altogether. Im considering changing the nature to Adamant so I can hit Scizor with a +2 Ice Shard around 35-40 health. It can also function as insurance to stop the raging opponents sweepers. And, its good as a revenge killer (fancy that, decent attack and good speed). Specs Jolteon, which poses a major threat to this team with HP Ice and TBolt, is killed by a +2 Ice Shard. At worst it weakens opponents severly or serves as a scout/pivot fodder.

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Grass]
---
Scouts for earth and water attacks. Swampy can take HP Grass unless its weakened so I usually dont use it untill it takes some damage. Otherwise its my revenge killer and takes fire attacks that Scizor and Roserade draw. This was probably the least thought out pokemon on the team and the analasis reflects. However, it works well as a revenge killer and works at taking out steels and grass types that can plague Empoleon. I also explode on problem pokes and Blissy who likes to come in on Heatran. I dont mind since heatran is expendable but without that pink whore we all hate, the steel penguin can sweep.

Empoleon (M) @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 12 HP/12 Def/232 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Agility
- Substitute
- Surf
- Ice Beam
---

Give me one free turn and have all the oposing checks gone and then my opponent is dead. This thing is a beast. Not much to say about it since its job is almost solely to sweep. The only other thing it almost ever does is come in on Gyarados and set up. Sometimes I bring it in midgame and then just let the team act as a balanced offensive team but usually I wait till the end and let the penguin do its job.

Now to the threats (only included are those who are reasonably dangerous to the team imo... I may leave some out)

Breloom: Fortunately not too many oppertunities to set up anymore as almost everything I have can scare it in some way or U-turn to something that does.

Celebi: Again not too bad with the addition of celebi. Scizor threatens the pursuit and almost anything can OHKO it or get it to where it can be killed in one hit. Also everything is faster or has a faster move so it cant really do much to me anymore.

Gyarados:
Heatran can explode and Scizor can live long enough to take it down to killing range. Now Celebi can leaf storm and azelf can explode or something like that. Gyarados cant touch celebi without Ice Fang

Heatran: Heatran can deal with it, Weavile can revenge kill it if it is modest, Celebi can revenge kill it AND keep it in if the tran gets greedy.

Infernape:
Not too bad anymore... Only the scarf ones can be difficult but my new teammates can definatly handle it.

Kingdra: In the rain I may be in trouble but without the rain I can handle it. Scizor can wear it down with bullet punch while the common sets cant do much without a few DDs. Celebi can now stay faster after one DD and can prompt an outrage in fear of the leaf storm putting it in killing range for anything. Heatran can still explode as can azelf who can also taunt a set up.

Machamp: Not too much of a problem any more because of celebi

Rotom-A: Can be a pain but weavile can handle them with a boost. Heatran can handle them as well and does not fear WoW. Celebi can kill it IF I dont come in on a shadow ball or overheat. Therefore I usually will revenge kill it

Zapdos: About the one thing Gliscor was useful for. Without Gliscor, weavile can do a good job if Zappy is low enough and kill it with Ice Shard or a +2 Ice Shard depending on the situation. Heatran can do the job as well. Celebi may have to revenge kill it eventually or just have Azelf explode on it. Just about te one thing that hurts once gliscor is gone.

All in all I think it needs some work after compiling this threat list but I think the idea is there. So far on the ladder Ive been winning about 75-80% of the time but I think that can be improved (yea this so far has been my team with the most success... look at my rating and you will be able to tell).

Im still open to suggestions that will help the team. Ive got to playtest this first and then I will get back to the thread and see if you smogonites have made suggestions to make it even better

RECORD
32-4

hey the team looks pretty solid. to deal with your infernape weakness, why not make gliscor your lead, and swap roserade with this tenta:

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Att)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Surf
This way you get a pokemon that covers most of the versatile infernape sets, you get someone to counter the spore-broken breloom (somewhat, depending on seed bomb sets or not) and you get someone to lay the great toxic spikes. its a 3 in one.

I can understand the sheer power behind a Choice Band Scizor. Despite that, I would still recommend switching Superpower for Brick Break. Choice Band Brick Break still does decent damage, and it doesn't cost you an Attack/Defense drop. Plus, it takes out opposing screens, which is a nice benefit at times. Either that, or switch the Choice Band for a Life Orb. That way, if you need to switch moves after Superpower, you'll still have a decently powerful following move.

This is just another thing to watch out for, which you didn't mention in your threat list. Opposing Guts/Quick Feet users LOVE Toxic Spikes. Free power/speed boosts and all that.

As for your comment about Ground Immunitites + Stealth Rock: Many others immediately come to mind, all of which can be very useful. Azelf, Aerodactyl, Claydol and Bronzong are the four I'll suggest. Azelf and Aerodactyl can be used as Taunt+Stealth Rock suicide leads, preventing your opponent from setting up rocks and doing some decent damage to boot.
Examples:
Azelf @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature: 252 ATK/252 Speed
Taunt
Stealth Rock
U-Turn/Zen Headbutt
Explosion
You can also use Special attacks. Psychic and Fire Blast are recommended. If you do use Special attacks instead, put the 252 Attack EVs into Special Attack.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Taunt
Stealth Rock
Stone Edge
Earthquake

Claydol and Bronzong can be used as defensive Stealth Rockers. Claydol also has the honor of having two STAB types that deal Super Effective damage to Infernape, which is another thing to consider for your Infernape problem.
Examples:
Claydol @ Leftovers
Bold Nature: 252 HP/144 Defense/64 Special Defense/48 Special Attack
Stealth Rock
Earth Power
Rapid Spin (Not only can it set up, it can clear other hazards too. :D)
Shadow Ball (To help with Psychics and Ghosts, if you need it.)

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Careful Nature: 216 HP/20 Attack/252 Defense/20 Special Defense
Stealth Rock
Light Screen/Reflect
Gyro Ball (assuming low speed IV)
Explosion (to help KO things)

Hope that helps you out to an extent. It seems like a solid team, even with Gliscor in there. These are things to think about, since you said you were considering replacing Gliscor with a Stealth Rocker that has a Ground Immunity. Best of Luck!
~ShadowSpeedRider89

@Garchomp - There is a problem with switching that build into my team. I already had considered it and deemed that it would not be worth it. Although, you are right that it would help stop the Infernape hole, you are removing currently one of my best teammates, one that deals with the most problem pokes, has a reliable sleep inducing move, and VERY reliable in the lead spot at getting rocks up. Gliscor not only is proving extremely weak on this team but also as a lead will have a problem with almost EVERY single other common lead. Here -

Metagross - Ok I can taunt and then set up rocks and EQ but what sane Meta stays in on gliscor... prompts a switch to some water or poke with an ice attack. If I SR I risk him SRing

Azelf - Im painfully slower than it is... I get taunted and now have to rely on a sketchy Stone Edge to bring it down. Obviously I would never stay in. Anything I bring in though will take an explosion and die or be seriously weakened. Not to mention the potential fire blast/flamethrower that will KO weavile and scizor

Jirachi - Again slower... he either gets rocks up, flinch hax me to death, or tricks me although none of these are too bad as most likely I will be able to get rocks up. Hey I may even be reasonably fast... (as Im writing this, im wondering if a scarf gliscor with max atk EVs and HP for the bulk or something like that would be plausable) otherwise this is the most successfull I am against all that I have delt with so far.

Swampert - Yay Im faster... I go for the rocks and... oh waterfall im dead... I go for the taunt and oh... waterfall im dead or ice beam if it carries it... Also I could risk getting rocks put up against me if i go straight for the rocks. Then lets see what my counter for this is... oh Roserade is not on my team anymore...

Aerodactyl - It taunts and gets its rocks up. Job well done to it.

Infernape - Fakeout and rocks... wonderful. Or taunt, endeavor and vacuum wave either way im damaged and rocks are up or dead.

Hippodown - Ok I get the boost in evasion but as I taunt he Ice Fangs or switches. Im low on health or dead but at least rocks are up. Now let me just switch to that roserade that I have that can OHKO it... oh yea I forgot its not there.

Bronzong - Well I can get the taunt off and win this one. So he will switch... if i taunt, i taunt something that came in to kill me and is probably faster than me. Good.

Out of those top eight leads in OU according to stats, I can beat 3 if you count having one turn before dying or getting severly hurt. Roserade can handle all but Aerodactyl reasonably efficiently.

Now to the even bigger problems with using tentacruel. First, it shares a major weakness with my sweepr, namely electric. Yea that means I know its there but the opponent will play more conservativly with thier electric types if they know I have something like Tentacruel that they want dead. Therefor im left with an electric type end game as Im trying to get an empoleon sweep. Did I mention its the same for ground? Roserade does not have a weakness to either. Second, tentacruel is set up fodder to anything that subs... and calm mind latios with refresh which already can be a problem if it comes in on the wrong poke. Yes I have scizor, but without scizor, Roserade is my only hope at checking it short of blowing up heatran which has other uses. Did I mention Empoleon cant sweep through Latios??? Finally, you are giving me more profound weaknesses to a few pokes. Namely Celebi, Breloom, and the Rotom forms. Celebi and breloom can safely get up subs and Rotom scares the crap out of tentacruel. All of these are also threats to an empoleon sweep if they are in and set up. I cant have that happening. Tentacruel just does not fit the team without major changes (I do have an empoleon team with tentacruel in it).

@Shadow Speed - As to the Scizor thing - ok thats a minor detail that I will playtest. There are arguments both ways for it but I think you are right.

The lead thing... you know, I could either do that and insert a choice scarf celebi and replace Roserade or move Roserade back with the focus sash and keep it for threats as well.

at the quick feet thing, I was wondering what quick feet users mmay be seen in OU. I know the guts ones.

I would like to discuss these options more in detail if anyone wants to. Ive playtested Aerodactyl before and its just not my style and gets killed by Jirachi. I think the Azelf lead stands a better chance against it (although I lose to the Aerodactyl). This will easilly give me rocks in the beggining and serve to hopefully keep an intact ground immunity. The downside to this is not getting the sleep element of Roserade to support my team. Usually sleeping something in the beggining is as good as a KO and allows me to get spikes down. Celebi would become a better partner because of the ground resist it will provide since at some point Azelf may just go boom. Celebi can make a more effective check if I scarf it I think as it will outspeed many things including a timid heatran and OHKO it back with earth power. Maybe even add psychic in the fourth spot to kill those rotom forms and take away that weakness too. With the scarf Infernape will become less of a problem as scarf versions can just be passed from teamate to teammate using fodder as needed.

I think I would prefer claydol because it also provides the immunity to electricity but with the new changes it may be completely irrelevant. I will playtest it in though and see which one I prefer.

That ended up being a very great help ShadowSpeedRider89 thank you. I will post how this team does incrimentally to if anyone is interested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)