Thundurus-T

Hey everyone,

First off I would like to make a few comments on Thundurus-T. Honestly imo the 145 SpAtk doesn't matter at all, what really sets him apart is the 101 Speed, it lets him don a choice scarf and revenge kill a good portion of the Metagame. Not only that, his access to high powered moves like Thunder and momentum grabbers like U-Turn and Volt Switch make him an excellent offensive pivot. Lastly I really think you downplay his ability in Volt Absorb, a well timed switch in can be a major headache for a Volt-Turn team and you opponent will be in constant fear of Volt Switching.

I think that you guys have overlooked something that I have been using to great success. Thundurus-T has access to Taunt and Volt Switch. I am using it with an Expert Belt to fake a Choice Scarf and I am sure many of the people that have faced it would back me up on this; it is one of the most infuriating sets ever. It is awesome on a HO team. A lot of the pokemon Thundurus lures like Ferrothorn and Blissey are completely shut down. It can pave way for set ups and keep momentum with Volt Switch. It is one of the most effective sets i have ever used. My current teams strategy is based around it and it hasn't let me down once. It also capitalizes on his signature 101 Speed which is mostly utilized for a scarf but in this instance it lets him pull off a speedy Taunt to shut down set up sweepers like Volcarona or Dragonite and even things that can otherwise steal the match away from you like SD Scizor. Seriously guys give it a shot, it will not disappoint.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
^ Taunt surely sounds as a great idea, but my problem is that with 3 attacks only you don't have room for a real STAB move. What are the 3 offensive moves you are using? But EB is an excellent item on Thundurus-T, i have tried it and it works!

Well you don't have a huge amount of freedom in the set but basically the core idea is taunt and volt switch. These two are complete momentum machines, all of his switch ins are completely screwed over by it and Volt Switch lets him capitalize on it. Skullsurus (you heard it here first!) can run a few other moves, notably focus miss, hidden power ice, hidden power grass and thunder(bolt). I like to run Thunder(bolt) and Hidden Power Grass to take out bulky waters and gastrodons. however you can basically choose anything from the list. He works great on a rain team to shut down big threats like Ferrothorn and rainstallers (even amoongus). That said he works great on almost any team, especially given rains popularity these days. I have found him to have excellent offensive synergy with Volcarona, nailing bulky waters and giving the momentum to belt a QD. Just make sure you fake a scarf as long as possible. Anyway good luck with Skullsurus ;).

The set I use is here:
Thundurus-Therian @ Life Orb/ Expert Belt
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk/ 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd
Naive/Hasty
-Volt Switch
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Superpower/Focus Blast
-Grass Knot

Except I choose E belt to have a longer lasting Thundy and fake Choice.
I've used this Thundurus-T set many times and it does WORK! I love it!!! My preference is Expert Belt and Superpower. Superpower over Focus Blast due to busting Tyranitar's lower defense stat in the sand and also hits a couple of fat pink blobs pretty hard.

When I started building my new rain team a few weeks ago I used this guy. I ran a similar set I believe I used agility though and the one thing I noticed was how Jolteon can stop Thunder-T. If you use Agility, you're faster then Jolt, but you can't kill it, and if you use Nasty Plot, you are slower and Jolt will be able to OHKO w/ HP- Ice as long as rocks are up w/ a life orb. I would just like to throw that out there, letting Thunder-T users to be warry of Jolteon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)