SM OU Tier Shift Squad

1539906160769.png
1539906187829.png
1539906194743.png
1539906208132.png
1539906230167.png
1539906241951.png

Introduction

This is an offensive team I made about a month ago, before the October tier shifts came in. Several of the mons I decided to use ended up falling to UU or UUBL, but I've still been using it; not really because it's a great team, although it is probably the best team I've made so far, but because I just think it's really fun to use. Anyway, let's get into it.

The Team

1539906550610.png

Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Fire Blast
- Explosion

I started off with scarf Blacephalon because the last team I made used scarf Lando-T, which was too slow for my liking, so I wanted a faster scarfer. Blacheph is a good late game sweeper/cleaner, often becoming my win con in many games. Shadow ball hits psychic types, flamethrower hits steel types, and and fire blast is for when you need a bit more power, often for chip damage on neutral/resisted targets. Explosion is important because it's pretty much the only way I have of dealing with a boosted Volcarona; even with timid nature it does ~90%, and Volc will almost never be at full health. It also does ~60% to a Chansey whose eviolite is knocked off, which can come in handy if your opponent wants to be clever and switch Chansey into a presumed special attack.

1539907506326.png

Latios-Mega @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roost

I'm not exactly sure why I picked Mega Latios next, but it ended up being a good choice; it's a great all-around sort of Pokemon, covering a lot of threats, being able to take some big hits and hit hard back, all while being pretty fast too. Psychic is the big bad STAB move, and earthquake takes care of Heatran while doing big chip to a few other important steel types like Magearna. For the next move I went ice beam over draco meteor, which I think was a good choice. A lot of people don't expect ice beam on M-Lati these days; you'd be surprised how many people leave their Gliscors and Landoruses and stuff like that in on an ice beam. It also OHKOs Zapdos with rocks, which is nice. And of course, roost is there to keep Latios healthy if possible.

1539908669848.png

Keldeo @ Waterium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Taunt

Originally I had Z-Bounce Gyarados in this slot, but I switched it for Keldeo because I wanted more of a breaker than a sweeper, and while Gyara can fill this role I felt like it wasn't doing a good enough job. Calm mind Keldeo is great for punching holes in opposing teams, and the fact that it does physical as well as special damage makes hard to deal with. Calm Mind is there for obvious reasons; Hydro Pump becomes a really powerful Hydro Vortex which can break through a lot of things that resist it, especially with a few boosts. Secret Sword does physical damage and prevents Chansey from standing in its way. And finally, taunt allows it to set up on things like Toxapex and Slowbro, which the opponent often switches into Keldeo not knowing the set. It also makes it useful as a lead, especially against trick room teams.

1539909353169.png

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic

I chose Excadrill next because I really liked the idea of having a hazard setter and remover in one pokemon; plus the ability to set rocks through magic bounce and hit levitate mons is nice too. Stealth rock and rapid spin are there for obvious reasons, earthquake hits things that don't resist/aren't immune pretty hard, and toxic lets you wear stuff down when earthquake doesn't do much. I've got a focus sash on it cause that's how it was on smogon, but I'm not really sure that's the right item for its role on this team; usually it doesn't work out too well to get knocked down to one HP by a move that would kill just to set up rocks, especially because then if it needs to come back in again to remove rocks it can't. I've been thinking about using an air balloon instead, but I'm not sure how I should change the EV spread to do that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1539913341095.png

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

I chose Tangrowth next because I needed a Zygarde check, as well as a just a general defensive pivot, and Tangrowth fills that role wonderfully. Giga drain allows it to regain some health on things that are weak/not resistant to it, as well as threatening Gastrodon and Swampert. Knock off deprives switch ins of their items, and in conjunction with Zeraoara's knock off it means that a good few of the opponents' mons are going to lose their items. HP ice hits Zygarde, and earthquake allows it to beat Heatran one-on-one most of the time. With the assault vest, Tangrowth can switch into just about any special attack it needs to, and with its great defense it can take physical hits really well too. Regenerator, of course, allows Tang keep its health up so it can come in and take hits over and over again, and all of these attributes combined make Tangrowth just a great switch in to pretty much anything.

1539915136726.png

Zeraora @ Choice Band
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Fire Punch

I know Zeraora isn't exactly the biggest threat in OU, but I really like its combination of power (when banded) and blistering speed. I think it makes a good cleaner, often winning the game once ground and grass types have been eliminated, plus being good for doing big chip early in the game. Plasma fists kills or does huge damage to anything that doesn't resist it, and OHKOs most things that are weak to it, like Toxapex. Knock off is used when I think the opponent will switch into something that can take a hit, and in conjunction with Tang's knock off it gets rid of a lot of the opponent's items. Close combat hits hard, notably doing ~70% to base form Swampert, which will almost always be the switch in on the first turn when the opponent is running rain (I always lead with Zeraora on rain because of this.) Finally, fire punch kills Ferro and Scizor, as well as hitting other things that are weak to it like Serperior surprisingly hard. Volt Absorb is nice because it gives me another switch in to electric moves; I also like how it lets me beat Koko one-on-one and then often use its terrain to destroy the rest of its team. I do like Zeraoara but I'm by no means married to it being on this team, so if you think another mon would be better let me know about it.

Weaknesses

This team definitely has a few glaring weaknesses, so let's talk about them.

Priority - I have no priority users on this team, so opposing priority is a problem for me. If my pokemon get worn down enough, hard-hitting priority users like Ash-Gren and Zygarde can spam their priority and win the game.

Setup sweepers that increase their speed - Because I have no priority, if a sweeper boosts itself until it's faster than all my mons there's not much I can do. In particular, Hawlucha is a huge problem for me; unless I predict it coming in and switch to someone who can OHKO it, like Latios, it gets up a swords dance and the game is over.

Screens - This is a team that is good against balance and stall but often has problems against other offensive teams (except webs and rain). In particular, aurora veil, and to a lesser extent dual screens, are hard for me to deal with. I'm not exactly sure why that is.

Tapu Bulu - My only way to take out Bulu without a lot of chip is with Blacephalon, which can be hard to get in. Because of this, I often end up having to use Latios's ice beam to wear it down. In addition, grassy terrain weakening ground moves kind of sucks because three of my team members use earthquake for coverage.

Mega Alakazam - My only real switch in to shadow ball is Tangrowth, which allows Zam to trace regenerator. Not impossible to deal with, but kind of annoying.

Clefable - Sometimes Clefable can cause problems because I don't have any steel or poison moves to hit it with, but usually it gets worn down enough that it's not an issue.

Anyway, that's the team. It got to the high 1400s, which isn't much but it's the highest I've ever gotten. Let me know if you have any comments or suggestions! Also, here's the Pokepaste.

Attachments

Hi Thighbone, your team consists of really cool Pokemon such as Blacephalon and Zeraora, but some sets seem pretty weird and your listed weaknesses should probably not be weaknesses on any viable OU team. Here I'm going to go through what I have changed with your team (and it's honestly a pretty huge change) and hope you like it :]

blacephalon.gif
latios-mega.gif
keldeo.gif
excadrill.gif
tangrowth.gif
zeraora.gif

blacephalon.png
@ ghostiumz.png
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 232 HP / 4 Def / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
ghost.gif
- Shadow Ball
psychic.gif
- Calm Mind
normal.gif
- Substitute
fire.gif
- Flamethrower

First I changed Blacephalon to a Speed-boosting Sub Calm Mind set. I'm not a big fan of Scarf Blacephalon currently since Scarf Kartana actually outspeeds and 2HKOs Blacephalon with Leaf Blade and Scarf Blacephalon really doesn't hit that hard imo. If you don't understand the EVs, basically 20 SpA maximizes Blacephalon's Special Attack while still being lower than Max Speed Timid. The reason there is a random 4 Defense is because 232 HP hits a Stealth Rock number (minimizing Stealth Rock damage as Blacephalon takes 25% from Rocks). Never-Ending Nightmare allows you to nuke something (say Heatran or Gastrodon) and get +1 Speed. This is a pretty solid wincon if counters/checks (Tyranitar, Toxapex, Gastrodon, Greninja) are gone or severely weakened.

keldeo.png
@ choice-scarf.png
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
water.gif - Hydro Pump
fighting.gif - Secret Sword
rock.gif - Stone Edge
water.gif - Scald

Keldeo is a pretty underrated Pokemon rn, being able to threaten some of the most prevalent threats in the tier (Heatran, Zygarde, Greninja) with its super effective STAB moves and is a special attacker that Chansey has to be cautious to switch into. I think Waterium Z doesn't really fit anymore as Blacephalon is already a Calm Mind sweeper.

The team is extremely weak to Volcarona and has to play around Mega Charizard Y (Heatran on Fire Blasts and Solar Beam and having to double around against Focus Blast), and Scarf Keldeo does a decent job of checking both offensively. Since we are running Stone Edge alongside 3 special moves, a Hasty nature is used to ensure Stone Edge hits hard enough, and keeping our SpDef neutral helps immensely with checking Heatran and Ash-Greninja offensively. Keep in mind that Stone Edge fails to guarntee an OHKO on Bulky Volcarona (Both Timid and Bold) and Mega Charizard Y, so getting some prior damage on either would be nessesary.

tangrowth.png

Tangrowth happily stays the same because you can't really go wrong with Tangrowth on a team.

excadrill.png
---->
heatran.png

Excadrill to Heatran
heatran.png
@ leftovers.png
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 128 SpD / 128 Spe
Calm Nature
fire.gif
- Magma Storm
dark.gif
- Taunt
fire.gif - Will-O-Wisp
ground.gif
- Earth Power

Heatran is a super good Pokemon rn, being nearly on 90% of all teams in the OU tier. While Excadrill's ability to set up rocks even against Magic Bounce users, it gets crippled in the process (Will-O-Wisp from Mega Sableye and Earth Power/HP Fire from Mega Diancie), and it's easily brought down to its Focus Sash, causing a situation where you have to 5v6, which is a pretty bad situation for non-HO teams, which this team is not.

This one has the standard SpDef Tran set, and improves your matchup against Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele. It also burns threatening physical attackers like Mega Mawile or Gliscor, helping Blacephalon with its sweep. Heatran sets up rocks for the team and Magma Storm + Taunt (+ Earth Power) can also help Blacephalon by trapping Chansey and Toxapex.

latios-m.png
---->
landorus-t.png

Mega Latios to Landorus-T
landorus-t.png
@ leftovers.png
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
rock.gif
- Stealth Rock
ground.gif - Earthquake
ice.gif
- Hidden Power [Ice]
bug.gif
- U-turn

With Mega Alakazam generally outclassing Mega Latios and Mega Mawile being the best Mega Evolution in the current OU tier, I think Mega Latios is sort of a waste of the Mega slot. While there is no Mega Evolution in my team, it really does not require a Mega Evolution IMO.

Landorus-T is still one of the best Pokemon in the tier, and helps your matchup against physical attackers like Zygarde, Kartana or Mega Mawile with Intimidate and sets up Stealth Rock. It also allows you to gain momentum with U-turn. The given EV spread maximize Landorus-T's bulk while outspeeding Timid Heatran and as our matchup against these, especially Heatran, isn't the greatest. People see Leftovers and usually assume that it'll be running 16 Speed and be slower than the regular Heatran, and you can surprise them with an Earthquake. Leftovers also helps you check Zygarde better

zeraorao.png
---->
zapdos.png

Zeraora to Zapdos
zapdos.png
@ rockyhelmet.png
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
electric.gif
- Discharge
ice.gif
- Hidden Power [Ice]
flying.gif
- Defog
flying.gif
- Roost

Zeraora seemed like a really good Pokemon when theory-moning, but in practice it's actually only half-decent and requires a lot of team support. While it hits super hard with Plasma Fists + Fire Punch against common defensive cores like Celesteela, Toxapex, Ferrothorn and Tangrowth, having to predict while having a Choice Band or strongly requiring Life Orb to do any significant damage really disappoints me for Zeraora. Currently, the team struggles with threatening wallbreakers like Mega Pinsir, Kartana and Hawlucha, and Zeraora really doesn't help with checking these defensively.

Zapdos is a wonderful counter to those aforementioned threatening wallbreakers and is our Defogger on the team. Originally I had planned to put a 3 Attacks + Roost with Defog Scarftana, but later Kartana didn't work too well and I changed it to Scarf Keldeo. Since our Scarfer is actually slower than Scarf Kartana, I needed a really solid answer to it, as well as less common but highly threatening physical sweepers like Mega Pinsir. 248 HP EVs hit a Stealth Rock number and the rest is dumped into Defense to take on Pokemon easier. 20 Speed EVs allows Zapdos to outspeed anything 240 speed or below.

blacephalon.gif
keldeo.gif
tangrowth.gif
heatran.giflandorus-therian.gifzapdos.gif
POKEPASTE FOR VARIATION 1

*Additional Optional Changes*
tangrowth.png
---->
tapubulu.png

Tangrowth to Tapu Bulu
tapubulu.png
@
leftovers.png

Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Atk / 180 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
fighting.gif - Bulk Up
grass.gif
- Horn Leech
rock.gif - Stone Edge / fighting.gif Superpower
grass.gif
- Synthesis

Although I mentioned that you can't really go wrong with Tangrowth, Tapu Bulu can handle Ash-Greninja better, has more offensive presence and reduces the damage taken from Earthquake for all teammates. Bulk Up allows Tapu Bulu to better handle Zygarde, which has only become more threatening since we got rid of Tangrowth. 248 HP EVs hits a Stealth Rock number, and although Tapu Bulu doesn't have a Rock-type weakness, it's still something we like to do; 20 Attack EVs gives Tapu Bulu a higher chance to KO Clefable at +1 (53.1% for 2HKO under Grassy w/ Lefties and Grassy recovery); 60 Speed EVs allows Tapu Bulu to outspeed 88 Speed Mega Tyranitar, and the rest is put into SpDef to help Tapu Bulu better check special attackers. Stone Edge catches the threatening Tornadus, Volcarona and Mega Charizard Y trying to come in expecting a Superpower, but this leaves you more vulnerable against Steel-types.

keldeo.png
---->
greninja.png

Keldeo to Greninja
greninja.png
@ choice-scarf.png
Ability: Protean
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
rock.gif
- Rock Slide
bug.gif - U-turn
ice.gif - Ice Beam
ground.gif - Spikes / fighting.gif Low Kick

With Tapu Bulu taken over Tangrowth, Zygarde and Kartana become more threatening. Scarf Keldeo is not able to outspeed Scarf Kartana, which is why Scarf Greninja is used to revenge kill it. This is just a standard spread taken from Smogon Dex, with 80 SpA OHKOing Kartana with Ice Beam and max speed outspeeding +1 Zygarde, Volcarona, Blacephalon, Kartana, i.e. anything under 122. Spikes can be used to chip down foe's team more easily and helps against Balance and HO, while Low Kick can be used if you feel like Magearna/Heatran are too big of a problem. This set also provides more momentum with U-turn and allows you to bring in something else to deal with threats, if, for example, a Kartana switches in expecting you to be Z-Fight/Ground.

heatran.png
@ leftovers.png
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 152 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
fire.gif
- Magma Storm
dark.gif
- Taunt
poison.gif
- Toxic /
fire.gif
- Will-O-Wisp
ground.gif
- Earth Power

This Heatran set survives 1 Earthquake from 252 Attack Landorus-T under Grassy Terrain from full health, and although that is definitely not the best case scenario, it might just come to that in a game. Magma Storm + Earth Power/Toxic + Taunt traps Toxapex and Chansey for the team, while Toxic is a good way of punishing checks/counters like Gastrodon, Tyranitar and the rare PerishTrap Azumarill. Will-O-Wisp can catch the annoying Mega Mawile and other physical attackers like Gyarados (and Mega), Zygarde, Gliscor w/out Toxic Orb activated and Garchomp. Taunt just improves your matchup against stall.

POKEPASTE FOR VARIATION 2
I hope you enjoyed my rate, and feel free to make changes along the way. Hopefully, the team works for you! :]
Also thanks A for helping with the team.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)