SV UU Tilted - A FairyZone Team (peak 1618)

Introduction
I've been playing competitive Pokemon since the XY days, but I took a hiatus beginning in Gen 7. With Gen 9 introducing several nucking futs tools, moves, and mons, I decided to jump back in and dip my toes in that generation's OU tier. However, I found that meta to be too volatile and powercrept, so I jumped down a tier and tried UU. As a result of the highly supportive community, I found a tier I could call home and succeed in. After lots of tier shifts, ladder tilts, hax, and trial-and-error, I found a team that I was proud of and found lots of success in, to the point of reaching an ELO 0f 1618 on the ladder. I know that's not super impressive, but it's arguably my best ladder achievement to date and with the UU ladder being basically dead as a result of HOME (and the Freedom Cup ladder tour), I'm pretty happy with it.
Also worth noting is that even though I never officially posted the team (until now), a lot of people (from what I've heard) duplicated it and used it in tours, so if it looks familiar then that's why. I'm okay with that though!
Proof of Peak
peakproof1.PNG

peakproof2.PNG

:florges-orange: :magnezone: :cyclizar: - I started with a fairly standard core of Florges, Magnezone, and a hazard remover. FairyZone cores are arguably the spiritual successors to the DragMag cores of old due to Fairy being absolutely crunk as a type. Florges was chosen over Sylveon due to its superior Speed stat, letting it outspeed the likes of Tyranitar without having to sacrifice too much bulk. Because Magnezone often has difficulty coming in, Cyclizar was chosen as the team's hazard remover due to its ability to easily bring it in with U-Turn while also checking Sandy Shocks.
:florges-orange: :magnezone: :cyclizar: :hippowdon: - No good team is complete without a rocks setter. Hippowdon's obscene bulk made it a natural choice as a way to bolster the team's defensive backbone. It also acted as an anti-cheese measure thanks to Roar (denies most set up sweepers), Rocky Helmet, and Sand Stream (offers vital chip damage against Maushold and sash users respectively).
:florges-orange: :magnezone: :cyclizar: :hippowdon: :gyarados: - However, the team still had a few glaring weaknesses, namely against Scizor, Quaquaval, and (while they were legal) rain teams. Bulky Gyarados acted as a solid blanket check against them while also acting as a wincon against teams Florges struggled against.
:florges-orange: :magnezone: :cyclizar: :hippowdon: :gyarados: :scizor: - At this point, I had most of my bases covered, so I had a final free slot. I initially slapped Choice Band Scizor onto the team due to its stupidly powerful Bullet Punches, especially with Tera Steel. Its Steel/Bug typing was also pretty solid defensively.
:florges-orange: :magnezone: :cyclizar: :hippowdon: :gyarados: :weavile: - Scizor just wasn't cutting it however, as even with a superb typing its longevity was severely limited. Additionally, it was quite slow without Bullet Punch, and my team didn't like relying on Cyclizar for speed control (especially since it already had to do a lot as is). Weavile was my second choice as a strong physical attacker due to its blistering Speed stat and Ice being a very powerful offensive typing.
:florges-orange: :magnezone: :cyclizar: :hippowdon: :gyarados: :mimikyu: - Unfortunately, Weavile's fragility made my team weaker against hyper offensive teams, especially the Psyspam teams that plagued the ladder. Thanks to a suggestion from pif, I chose Mimikyu as a happy medium between the two; it was faster than Scizor and had access to priority while also being able to take a hit thanks to Disguise. Not being Stealth Rock weak was also a huge plus.

The Team
CITRONELLA

671Florges_Orange_Flower_Dream.png
@
Bag_Heavy-Duty_Boots_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Flower Veil
Tera Type
:
SteelIC_Tera.png

EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
1672690031531.png

- Protect
1672690031531.png

- Moonblast
FairyIC_SV.png

- Calm Mind
PsychicIC_SV.png

Florges is the star of the show, proving that the Fairy-type is just as busted as ever. The moveset is a standard WishTect CM set, with Moonblast acting as both a powerful STAB and as a way to slightly increase Florges' special bulk thanks to its stupid 30% Special Attack drop chance. Florges runs max HP EVs rather than hitting an odd HP number in order to pass the fattest wishes it can. 144 Speed EVs lets it outrun max Speed Adamant Tyranitar, while the rest of its EVs are used to patch up its iffy Defense stat. Heavy-Duty Boots protects Florges from hazards, especially the dangerous Toxic Spikes. Florges can support the team throughout the game thanks to its high special bulk, ability to scout with Protect, and Wish (with Hippowdon, Gyarados, and Magnezone being the typical recipients) but you really only want to set up Calm Mind once its checks and counters (namely Steels, Encore users, and strong physical attackers) are removed or sufficiently worn down. Similarly, you should hold off on Terastallizing unless the only remaining Pokemon don't have a way to hit Florges for SE damage while it's Terastallized.

462Magnezone_Dream.png
@
Bag_Choice_Specs_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Magnet Pull
Tera Type:
GrassIC_Tera.png

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs
: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
1672690344639.png

- Volt Switch
ElectricIC_SV.png

- Thunderbolt
ElectricIC_SV.png

- Tera Blast
1672690031531.png

The "Zone" half of the FairyZone core, not even getting knocked down to UU can prevent Magnezone from doing its job of trapping and removing Steel-types for its partners (especially Florges and Mimikyu). The moveset is largely standard, with Magnezone having the notable boon of being able to use Tera Blast to smack neutral targets without needing to Terastallize. Max Speed EVs and a Timid nature are used to outspeed Adamant Scizor as well as other Magnezones, while Choice Specs are used to make up for the firepower lost by not running Modest. Tera Grass is the standard Tera type, used to threaten Gastrodon and other Ground-types as well to take certain Super Effective moves in a pinch. Magnezone will usually rely on Cyclizar's U-Turn to get in safely, but baiting in Steel-types with Florges before pivoting out is also an excellent strategy.

AUTOBAHN
967Cyclizar_Dream_2.png
@
Bag_Assault_Vest_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type:
SteelIC_Tera.png

EVs: 248 HP / 76 SpD / 184 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
DragonIC_SV.png

- Knock Off
1672690214148.png

- U-turn
1672690240239.png

- Rapid Spin
1672690031531.png

Cyclizar was tailor-made to be the perfect fast support Pokemon, between its incredible movepool, impressive Speed stat, and broken ability in Regenerator. An Assault Vest lets Cyclizar better check Special Attackers such as Sandy Shocks and and Gengar. The EV spread lets it outspeed base 111s such as Scream Tail and Maushold while maximizing its special bulk. Draco Meteor is the attacking move of choice due to its excellent neutral coverage. The rest of the moveset is fairly standard; Knock Off is a borked move that lets the lizard force progress (especially by removing Boots so Hippowdon can chip the team with Rocks), U-Turn lets it pivot out to escape bad matchups and/or bring in teammates (namely Magnezone), and Rapid Spin cleans up hazards. Tera Steel is the standard Tera Type, used for taking Ice- and Dragon- moves in a pinch. Cyclizar usually wants to come in on special attackers that can't significantly dent it (or a predicted water move from Greninja) in order to remove hazards; if they have a Ghost-type on their team, then Knock Off should be clicked first. Even if you predict incorrectly, you'll at least force progress by removing the opponent's items.

HIP TO BE PO
450Hippowdon_Dream.png
@
Bag_Rocky_Helmet_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type:
RockIC_Tera.png

EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 148 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
1672690020807.png

- Earthquake
1672690264073.png

- Slack Off
1672690031531.png

- Roar
1672690031531.png

The Rocks setter of this team, Hippowdon is a fat fuck (affectionate), being able to soak up hits from both ends of the spectrum thanks to its obscene bulk and Slack Off. It also serves as the team's Volt Absorber, in particular annoying Sandy Shocks in conjunction with Cyclizar's U-Turn. This Hippo set is what I like to call "anti-cheese"; Roar denies a good chunk of the meta's set-up sweepers while also racking up chip damage with Stealth Rock, Rocky Helmet punishes pivots and those stupid mice, and Tera Rock, in conjunction with Sandstorm, bolsters its special bulk and makes it easier to take on the likes of Oricorio and Polteageist. The EV spread maximizes Hippowdon's physical bulk while preventing it from getting 2HKO'd by Sandy Shocks' Earth Power. When used in conjunction with Florges' Wishes and Gyarados' Intimidate, it becomes very hard to kill.
STONE COLD KRILLER
shiny_gyarados_global_link_art_by_trainerparshen_d6th6u9-fullview.png
@
Bag_Leftovers_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type:
FlyingIC_Tera.png

EVs: 248 HP / 20 Atk / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
DragonIC_SV.png

- Taunt
1672690214148.png

- Waterfall
1672690177242.png

- Tera Blast
1672690031531.png

Do you wanna really win games, especially against physically offensive teams? Gyarados is your guy. You'll likely be Terastallizing this guy 85% of the time thanks to Water and Flying being an effectively unresisted STAB combination. Taunt lets it shut down Pokemon that attempt to cripple it, such as Tinkaton and Scream Tail, as well as other set-up sweepers like Bulk Up Quaquaval. The rest of the moveset is fairly standard; Dragon Dance lets it set up, Waterfall is your ol' reliable STAB with a stupid ass flinch rate, and Tera Blast is for nuking anything that doesn't resist it. A bulkier spread in conjunction with Intimidate is used to better take on physical attackers, while 240 Speed EVs lets it outrun Talonflame at +1. Hippowdon and especially Florges appreciate Gyarados's Intimidate, as it makes strong physical attackers more manageable. Though Intimidate support is valuable, you'll want to try and preserve Gyarados as much as possible so it can sweep late-game. Be especially wary of Knock Off from the likes of Wo-Chien and Decidueye, as Leftovers gives it significantly more longevity and makes it harder to wear down during a sweep.

CHICORY FIBER
db3sjln-1fbff6e2-56dd-4bf7-b3ee-0761e505707e.png
@
Bag_Life_Orb_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Disguise
Tera Type:
FireIC_Tera.png

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
1672690031531.png

- Shadow Claw
GhostIC_SV.png

- Play Rough
FairyIC_SV.png

- Shadow Sneak
GhostIC_SV.png

Mimikyu combines two of the most busted types in the game to become an offensive menace against the right opponents. Its Disguise ability makes it a valuable bulwark against set-up sweepers like Hawlucha, Polteageist, and Gyarados, especially if Hippowdon is worn down or KO'd. Thanks to having three immunities, Mimikyu is also excellent at taking advantage of Choice-locked Pokemon like Gallade and Specs Hisuian Zoroark (the latter is especially vital if you mistakenly U-Turn on it instead of clicking Knock Off). This set is your bog-standard Swords Dance Mimikyu, with Tera Fire being used to protect it from burns as well as letting it take a Bullet Punch in a pinch. You'll want to keep Mimikyu's Disguise up for as long as possible until it's needed, which is usually around mid- to late-game. Sometimes it's best to click one of Mimikyu's STABs to wear the opponent down, especially if it scares their current Pokemon out.
Threatlist
:lokix: - The only real resist against Lokix's relentless U-Turn and Leech Life spam is Mimikyu, and even that doesn't like having its Disguise broken by the former. It's also quite vulnerable to the uncommon Sucker Punch variants. Generally you'll want to punish its constant pivoting with chip from Hippowdon's Rocks and Rocky Helmet.
:scizor: - Even with Magnezone and Gyarados, Scizor is very tricky to play around and requires a lot of smart prediction. If you guess the wrong set then it can easily sweep you or do heavy damage.
:quaquaval: - Swords Dance Quaquaval sets are very prone to snowballing. You'll have to play carefully with Gyarados and Hippowdon in order to prevent it from steamrolling the team. While Gyarados can send it into the next decade with Tera Flying Tera Blast, a well-played Quaquaval can counter it by Terastallizing itself and punishing it with Ice Spinner or Aqua Step.
:alomomola: A major thorn in this team's side. Though Magnezone fries it with Thunderbolt and Volt Switch, Alomomola can simply scout it out with Protect before switching out to a Ground-type partner. Whirlpool's chip damage can also be nasty in addition to letting this stupid fat sunfish pivot out.
:slowbro: - A different flavor of fat water, Slowbro's wide movepool makes it quite unpredictable, with the uncommon Foul Play variety being especially nasty. Though Florges can usually take it on 1v1, it hates getting paralyzed by Thunder Wave.
:armarouge: - This annoying Robot Master wannabe requires you to tread lightly, for if it gets a Weak Armor boost from a Rapid Spin or U-Turn it can easily snowball. Mimikyu and Tera Rock Roar Hippowdon do lessen the sting slightly, however.
:talonflame:
Fire_icon_SV.png
- Because Magnezone is my primary Talonflame check, the uncommon Flare Blitz (or even Flamethrower if you're clinically insane) varieties can be quite the headache for this team.
poisoncaltrop.png
- Toxic in general is a major nuisance, as the team's only Toxic immunity gets destroyed by Quagsire's Earthquake. However, Toxic Spikes is a full-on public enemy for this team, as it can poison almost everyone if you're not careful. They should be removed ASAP.
Conclusion & Shoutouts
Laddering with this team has been a wild ride, but I'm glad I went through it, as it made me an overall better player. This team will be rendered completely obsolete in just over a week, so I figured I'd showcase it before The HOME Reckoning occurs. I appreciate you taking the time to read this RMT, and before you go here's a bunch of shoutouts.
The entire pokemonisawesome (pia) server has been super supportive in my journey to reach a top spot in the ladder. They offer tons of resources and events for new players just getting into the tier. They're also hosting a pre-HOME meta sendoff tournament with Amazon gift cards as prizes!
Queen of Bean - Really funny lady who's also supported me a lot and given this team some good criticisms.
starbitstorm - Extremely supportive in my laddering journey, overall cool dude and great player.
Rasche Corporate Donkey TyCarter Peses222 - All of these dudes are amazing and thorough replay analyzers who've helped me dissect where I screwed up.
sleestacks - Amazing teambuilder who helped supply a good number of this team's spreads and helped me navigate the metagame.
Mossy Sandwich - Provided the original inspiration for this team as well as the Florges set, overall cool dude
Mandibuladel5555 - Kept kicking my ass, is a way better player than me and also makes Dudunsparce work well, super based
Roxyroxyroxy - tolerated my many ladder tilt arcs, the best Scovillain hater in the world
ImDoneThrowing - Real fun dude to ladder with and an amazing overall player
udongirl - Fantastic player who helped me fix my Gyarados spread so it has a bit more firepower
An Apple - I don't know your Smogon username but you're also from the pia server and you're cool

Replays
:gyarados:vs Mandibuladel:dudunsparce:(match where I peaked totally didnt win cause of a crit)
:mimikyu:vs Eschemali:slowbro:
:hippowdon:vs Adaam:talonflame: (pre-Pelipper rise)

Last edited:
Congratulations on your success with your UU team! It's great to hear that you found a tier where you could thrive and achieve your best ladder rating to date. It's also impressive that your team had such an impact that other players duplicated it and used it in tournaments. It's always a satisfying feeling to see your team's influence in the competitive scene. It seems like you've put a lot of effort and thought into building and refining your team. It's great to see the results and success you've achieved with it. Best of luck in your future endeavors in the competitive Pokemon scene! :)

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Super cool team. The combination of Magnezone with Scizor and Tinkaton weak Pokemon is a staple of UU at this point. Your team is solid but I wanted to post some minor nitpicks I think could improve things.

Running speed investment on Florges is cool, however subtracting from its bulk can be dangerous. To stabilize your matchup against Tyranitar you can use more of the physical bulk on Hippowdon. This would also help your Lokix matchup (take note Lokix is almost entirely only present on ladder). Alomomola and Slowbro I don't think are threats versus you considering Alo no longer runs Chilling Water and Slowbro is free set up fodder for Florges. Armarouge is a tough matchup for every team so I wouldn't be too concerned and just seek to outplay which you are capable of on this team.

I think that the important weaknesses to focus on are Toxic Spikes, Talonflame, and Quaqeval. I would also add Wo Chien as a weakness of this team as it can be difficult for you to break and is also very annoying as it can knock everything and has the ability to tera and be less threatened by Gyarados and Florges, As you have wish on Florges, I would utilize HDB on Gyarados to mitigate the threat of rocks as Intimidate is a valuable tool against Scizor and Quaq.

Unfortunately, I think to benefit this team you need to replace Mimikyu with something else. With Talonflame being able to sit on this team very assuredly, and being 6-0'd by Quaq in this meta being no bueno, and also Wo Chien being very annoying, I would substitute Mimikyu for Slowbro. Slowbro would give you the ability to run HDB on either it or Hippowdown to give you extra protection against hazards in addition to the beauty of regenerator. I think your team has enough offensive power to use the bulk of Slowbro. I also think you can use Iron Defense or Calm Mind to give you a sort of sweeper if you feel you need it.

It's definitely hard to change such a cool team you've poured a lot of effort into. That being said, here are my minor changes. Enjoy!

https://pokepast.es/be3fe06fe9872073

Super cool team. The combination of Magnezone with Scizor and Tinkaton weak Pokemon is a staple of UU at this point. Your team is solid but I wanted to post some minor nitpicks I think could improve things.

Running speed investment on Florges is cool, however subtracting from its bulk can be dangerous. To stabilize your matchup against Tyranitar you can use more of the physical bulk on Hippowdon. This would also help your Lokix matchup (take note Lokix is almost entirely only present on ladder). Alomomola and Slowbro I don't think are threats versus you considering Alo no longer runs Chilling Water and Slowbro is free set up fodder for Florges. Armarouge is a tough matchup for every team so I wouldn't be too concerned and just seek to outplay which you are capable of on this team.

I think that the important weaknesses to focus on are Toxic Spikes, Talonflame, and Quaqeval. I would also add Wo Chien as a weakness of this team as it can be difficult for you to break and is also very annoying as it can knock everything and has the ability to tera and be less threatened by Gyarados and Florges, As you have wish on Florges, I would utilize HDB on Gyarados to mitigate the threat of rocks as Intimidate is a valuable tool against Scizor and Quaq.

Unfortunately, I think to benefit this team you need to replace Mimikyu with something else. With Talonflame being able to sit on this team very assuredly, and being 6-0'd by Quaq in this meta being no bueno, and also Wo Chien being very annoying, I would substitute Mimikyu for Slowbro. Slowbro would give you the ability to run HDB on either it or Hippowdown to give you extra protection against hazards in addition to the beauty of regenerator. I think your team has enough offensive power to use the bulk of Slowbro. I also think you can use Iron Defense or Calm Mind to give you a sort of sweeper if you feel you need it.

It's definitely hard to change such a cool team you've poured a lot of effort into. That being said, here are my minor changes. Enjoy!

https://pokepast.es/be3fe06fe9872073
Thanks for the suggestions! My concern with Slowbro is that it seems really weak against Psyspam, a matchup which Mimikyu significantly eases. I'll def try HDB on Gyara though!

How does this team deal with dual screens? (Also Biden blast has me dead)
I don't recommend using this team due to it being basically unviable post-home but I'd knock the screens setters' Light Clay ASAP and try to stall out screen turns, usually with Hippowdon's Roar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)