TM Revamp

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Approved by The Eevee General

In this metagame, we'll replace some of the useless TMs with much more helpful moves. For example, TM96 Nature Power is rather useless now that it's Tri Attack in a battle. But what if we change it to another move, such as Earth Power? Most of these changes are simply upgrades, but some are completely different moves altogether. The following move changes are down here:

TM06 Venoshock - Coil
TM07 Hail - Ice Shard
TM11 Sunny Day - Lava Plume
TM18 Rain Dance - Aqua Jet
TM20 Safeguard - Encore
TM21 Frustration - Body Slam
TM23 Smack Down - Focus Punch
TM28 Dig - Spikes
TM31 Brick Break - Close Combat
TM32 Double Team - Endeavor
TM37 Sandstorm - Stealth Rock
TM39 Rock Tomb - Head Smash
TM40 Aerial Ace - Brave Bird
TM41 Torment - Switcheroo
TM43 Flame Charge - Blaze Kick
TM45 Attract - Pain Split
TM46 Thief - Pursuit
TM47 Low Sweep - High Jump Kick
TM48 Round - Hyper Voice
TM49 Echoed Voice - Baton Pass
TM51 Steel Wing - Meteor Mash
TM54 False Swipe - Rapid Spin
TM56 Fling - Foul Play
TM57 Charge Beam - Discharge
TM58 Sky Drop - Tailwind
TM59 Incinerate - Flare Blitz
TM60 Quash - Memento
TM63 Embargo - Sucker Punch
TM65 Shadow Claw - Shadow Sneak
TM67 Retaliate - Yawn
TM70 Flash - Glare
TM76 Struggle Bug - Sticky Web
TM77 Psych Up - Nasty Plot
TM78 Bulldoze - Power Gem
TM79 Frost Breath - Freeze Dry
TM81 X-Scissor - Megahorn
TM83 Infestation - Leech Seed
TM85 Dream Eater - Trick
TM87 Swagger - Recover
TM94 Rock Smash - Seismic Toss
TM95 Snarl - Knock Off
TM96 Nature Power - Earth Power
TM99 Dazzling Gleam - Moonblast
TM100 Confide - Crunch
HM01 Cut - Leaf Blade
HM02 Fly - Defog
HM04 Strength - Double-Edge

Have fun!

Last edited:
Does this mean that the moves themselves will be turned into other moves eg greninja now learns Focus Punch? Also KNOCK OFF TM HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Pretty much all pokemon now how reliable recovery. Oh god
Wait can we also replace the useless HMs? Which are Cut, Strength, and Fly

Edit: Some Interesting things I found

Brave Bird + Head Smash Aerodactyl
Rapid Spin Pinsir

Last edited:

Beta.

Ruff Ruff amirite?
i believe that for this meta, the weather TMs should stay.. for not many mons get them in just regular level up. Yet that's just me. It looks good. There are a lot of moves that some would benefit from the TM changes.... The year of Knock off is upon us officially.

We really should make cut leaf blade, Strength double edge, and possibly Waterfall Crabhammer. I feel that those changes would be very welcome especially for users of cut.

Beta.

Ruff Ruff amirite?
and possibly Waterfall Crabhammer.
I disagree with it. Waterfall is extremely viable, and possibly more viable than waterdall. I think that Waterfall is fine the way it is. Yet the other two suggestions seem really great. Have a cut move replace cut, and double edge replace strength. That seems really strong IMO

Valmanway

We really should make cut leaf blade, Strength double edge, and possibly Waterfall Crabhammer. I feel that those changes would be very welcome especially for users of cut.
I changed the former two. Waterfall will remain as it is, as it's still usable.

Valmanway

Here are some examples of how some Pokemon enjoy the TM changes:

Aerodactyl gets Brave Bird, Head Smash, and Flare Blitz!
Gyarados gets Crunch and Flare Blitz.
Goodra gets Leech Seed and Recover.
Accelgor and Scizor get Sticky Web.
Bisharp gets Rapid Spin and High Jump Kick.

I'll let you guys figure the rest out for yourselves.

Valmanway

I'm thinking fly should become defog (I know in Gen 4 most pokes who learnt fly also learnt defog, but it gives them to even more pokes and removes a couple illegalities) or Air Slash, not sure which one
Definitely changing Fly to Defog. Good idea!

Togekiss with Serene Grace Moonblast and Discharge. o_o

Clefable can Baton Pass Cosmic Power, and Slowbro can use BP as a scouting move.

Florges, Venusaur, and many grass types now get Earth Power to hit Heatran with.

Aegislash no longer gets Shadow Claw, but does get CC, Brave Bird, Rapid Spin and Recover in Exchange.

i believe that for this meta, the weather TMs should stay.. for not many mons get them in just regular level up. Yet that's just me. It looks good. There are a lot of moves that some would benefit from the TM changes.... The year of Knock off is upon us officially.
Seconding this opinion, mostly because you replaced Sunny Day and Rain Dance with Power and Guard Swaps, which are outclassed by Heart Swap and pretty useless on their own anyway. Since I'm guessing you'll want to keep the Stealth Rock TM, you could have it replace Confide since two Knock Offs > two Crunches.

Valmanway

Seconding this opinion, mostly because you replaced Sunny Day and Rain Dance with Power and Guard Swaps, which are outclassed by Heart Swap and pretty useless on their own anyway. Since I'm guessing you'll want to keep the Stealth Rock TM, you could have it replace Confide since two Knock Offs > two Crunches.
I actually meant Power Split and Guard Split, not Swap. My bad. :p

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
This looks so much fun. Nobody will know how to counter pokes now, since they can pack seemingly any coverage they want, or get good coverage to begin with.
A few toys that my eye likes:

Aerodactyl is even better than it is in stabmons. My new suicide lead for sure, rock head head smash and brave bird AND FLARE BLITZ will hit extremely hard even off of 105 attack. I could even slap on a mega stone, as tough claws boosts head smash to almost 300 power after stab, with brave bird going to near 240, and flare blitz going to near 160. Coming off of base 135, those moves, despite being suicidal, can 2hko almost anything, and probably ohko 75% of the pokemon that will be used here.

Please hustle durant! Choice band megahorn is viable, although the accuracy sucks, as a really powerful wallbreaker.

252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 325-384 (89.2 - 105.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Superpower vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 149-176 (44.6 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
it can't learn close combat ;(
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 255-300 (63.1 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
^thats a poke with maximum invested 100/115 bulk. its easily 2hko'd. talk about wallbreaking power...

Azumarill learns close combat. Sure it makes it weaker to priority, but it can take care of steels like ferro easily on the switch.

For the record, there is a TON of pokemon that learn brave bird now. aerial ace is a move with great distribution through its tm, so a lot of pokes have access to brave bird for flying coverage which is one of the best coverage types in the game.

I did not even mention it when i was talking about durant, but meteor mash is cool too. Durant still hates the accuracy drop and would rather run iron head mostly, but with an accuracy increasing item (name won't come to me) it could be usable. especially if it can get dat attack boost. A lot of pokes can now run meteor mash, including skarmory (lol), Aegislash (lol), or even Scizor if you are into that. Not to mention Bisharp as that is amazing for it. And excadrill.

It sucks that false swipe has such bad distribution. I think there will be some good rapid spinners eventually, but false swipe being distributed awfully really hurts the possible benefits it could bring.

All of the sudden, sticky web seems viable. I can see people using scizor, durant, or anything that can learn it, as very good setters, which btw was the main problem with sticky web anyways (besides bisharp). Its definitely more than a gimmick now.

Seemingly nothing in OU can learn nasty plot, and it really sucks. now we get this:
Chansey, Clefable, Diancie, Espeon, Gardevoir, Gengar, Keldeo, Latias, Latios, Mandibuzz, Mawile, Medicham, Rotom-Wash, Smeargle, Sylveon, Terrakion, Togekiss. So relevant pokes to use it? Mega Garde (could be good on web), Gengar (forces switches often), Keldeo (double specs boost damn), the Latis (latias can't with 4MSS), and thats about it. Sylveon? too slow, its a tank, not a sweeper. Yes, Mega Alakazam CAN learn nasty plot. Yes, it is STILL destroyed by ANY priority.

A few nasty plot pokes from the lower tiers are: Chandelure, Gothitelle, Hydreigon, Raikou, Starmie, And Victini. Chandelure could be an insane wallbreaker on web teams, and would probably just obliterate stall at +2. Gothitelle doesn't have much use for it, but it could see some gimmick thing develop. Hydreigon becomes impossible to wall at +2, patching up its only moderately good special attack stat to give it ability to be a great sweeper with extreme power and great coverage. Raikou could be interesting with the right set, especially since it checks so many common pokes its not even funny. So now we have a few nasty plot users, but still, not many. Starmie's speed tier is decent to give it an oppurtunity to sweep, so maybe it wont be total garbage anymore. Some pokes from an even lower RU tier are delphox and exploud(AAAAGGGGHHHH). The gigantic NU tier could have a couple gems in the rough in all categories, but i don't feel like searching through the gigantic mess of pokes down there so i will leave you to find them.

Gengar and Quagsire are OU's only pokemon that gain leech seed, and thats a good thing. Although it makes quagsire even better...

Several pokes gain megahorn however:
Bisharp, Excadrill, Gliscor, Keldeo, Pinsir, Scizor, Scolipede, Skarmory, Smeargle, Terrakion
Sure half of them can't use it, but we can dream right? terrak can probably use it, as can maybe excadrill (?) but other than that most of those pokes don't care or have 4MSS to begin with.

For the record, EVERYTHING has recovery now. LITERALLY EVERYTHING. Swagger was one of the most well distributed tms ever, and as a result everything learns recover. Stuff like mega aggron and other things may be viable.

despite mega aggron, this will be an offensive tier. Many common pokes all of the sudden get overshadowed by bigger threats instantly just with the addition of a couple moves. This looks like a lot of fun. I hope you get the game mode implemented somewhere soon, because i can't wait. AND DONT DO IT IN OTM CENTRAL NOBODY GOES ON THERE!!

I wonder if Dragonite (by way its previous forms being like serpents) or Zygarde would have Coil. I'm sure they could use it well, being bulky and able to utilize the defensive boosts and choose to use Dragon Rush for stronger STAB that won't miss.

Can't think of too many other things that really would seem too abusable with coil, if it'll even be widespread.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
I wonder if Dragonite (by way its previous forms being like serpents) or Zygarde would have Coil. I'm sure they could use it well, being bulky and able to utilize the defensive boosts and choose to use Dragon Rush for stronger STAB that won't miss.

Can't think of too many other things that really would seem too abusable with coil, if it'll even be widespread.
I'm pretty sure if the pokemon has the move now without the tm it can learn it, so Zygqrde still has it. But Scolepede can learn Coil, so you can Baton Pass to them

Last edited:

xJownage

Why is this considered a Pet Mod? To me it seems mostly like a single consistent set of movepool modifications.
exactly. It's modifications. The shortened version of modifications is mods. The non-plural version of mods is mod. Must I explain further?

exactly. It's modifications. The shortened version of modifications is mods. The non-plural version of mods is mod. Must I explain further?
Yes, you must.

The "modifications" in most Pet Mods have to do with altering game mechanics, creating new Pokemon formes, or changing typing. In this case we're just changing movepools, like Genmons or Alphabet Cup.

xJownage

Yes, you must.

The "modifications" in most Pet Mods have to do with altering game mechanics, creating new Pokemon formes, or changing typing. In this case we're just changing movepools, like Genmons or Alphabet Cup.
You are still modifying a central part of the game, rather than giving these pokes movepools you are changing a game mechanics function, in this case, changing the TM moves to something else.

You are still modifying a central part of the game, rather than giving these pokes movepools you are changing a game mechanics function, in this case, changing the TM moves to something else.
In effect, all we're doing is altering the Pokemon's movepools, though. It's not like you look at a list of TMs when choosing a Pokemon's moves on Showdown.

I feel it is more suitable as a pet mod.
Anyway, TI already said that, so I guess I'll stop arguing the point. It's ultimately irrelevant anyway :/

Jaiho

bandy legged troll
Yes, you must.

Because the movepools were not picked based on completely objective criteria, like Alphabet Cup. Instead, this meta allowed its leader to handpick moves based on their viability and flavor, making it inherently subjective. Subjective decisions by the leader of a meta makes it a Pet Mod.

Anyway, TI already said that, so I guess I'll stop arguing the point. It's ultimately irrelevant anyway :/
you just quoted The Immortal saying that The Immortal already said that...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)