Resource To the memory of Froslass

Le Don

La Déchéance d'un homme
is a Community Contributor
RoAPL Champion
Approved by Excal

Hello DPPers !

With the recent ban of Snow Cloak, I decided to post some of my Froslass teams cause as a Froslass lover and due to the recents events I had to ( I invite players to do the same ). With a unique typing, movepool and ability, Froslass had a really cool niche as Spikes Suicide Lead but alas with the recent rise of Abomasnow to counter weatherless team and the development of the metagame, people started to use her in hail centralized teams and yeah you know what happened :worrywhirl: ...

Anyway lets get into my love story with her ( :wo: ) and my teams !

I started to use this mon in 2021 but I didn't like the max SpA invests and also DBond on her cause it needs surprise effect while DBond was run on the only Lass sample set LOL. Also at this time, I watched a video from Emeral on his 2021 RoAPL; he used a Froslass team vs HODOR and I absolutly loved it ( iirc it was Lass Tar Luc Lati Pert Tom ). I made a few changes to my liking aka TWave > DBond ( very good pairing with SD Lucario ) with a max HP spread to be better into Empoleon and Jirachi lead ( calcs and theorycraft here ) and started toying with it.

:froslass: :swampert: :jirachi: :tyranitar: :scizor: :rotom-heat:

It was a build for a 2021 Secret Santa build, I ended to use it on ladder and for tours; I was searching originally a new approach for SD Zor.

I built this team during Froslass ( imo ) prime, before the rise of Scarf Tar lead stalls and hazards immu stalls. Icy Wind was getting common on Lass because it was better than Ice Beam vs Azelf and Aero. Lass x Pert is nice cause Pert can come on everything that Lass hates aka Metagross / Heatran / TTar etc. Special Mixed Jirachi as main Spikes abuser; Occa is important for Heatran ( designed spread to OHKO bulkless tran after 2 Spikes iirc ). Lass can sometimes TWave Heatran and Jirachi which is very nice for both DD Tar and SD LO Scizor, the main sweepers. Scarf Rotom is needed for Starmie and DDers; Scizor is good vs opposite DD Tar btw.

:froslass: :heatran: :azelf: :rotom-wash: :suicune: :jirachi:

A build for the DPP Teambuilding competition not the greatest but I had a loooooot of fun with it.

The Scarf Tar stall period ( SPL XIII ) was terrible for Froslass, her prime was now behind. The main spikes abusers hit most of the time on the special side so you want to pair Froslass with Special attackers, mons ( and special offense archetype ) that are weak to TTar ( Scarf Tar and DD Tar ).
I accepted the fact that Lass wasn't very good anyway and was also kinda like of a fish lead but I still wanted to have a chance to beat stall teams so I replaced Sash by Colbur Berry; I was now better into TTar and Champ but even more bad into Heatran, Bronzong and Metagross ( :metagross: <- even if less common now ). Because of that Shuca Tran came immediately to my mind to patch that. Specs Wash x Lum Azelf as the main abusers of a TWaved Scarf TTar. Classic Suicune, faster than Heatran and rare Mamoswine. Scarf Rachi last, as HWisher and DD Tar stopper; also an okish Specs Lati pivot.

:froslass: :swampert: :latias: :jirachi: :gengar: :heatran:

I wanted to bring Froslass for JDI; I saw zf's teamdump, I noticed the Rose lead team and I liked it. I did some modifications ( mainly Froslass > Rose ) and brought it for the round 6.

I like a lot this team cause nothing gives a free setup to DD Tar ( Taunt or 2HKO ) so I could truly justify Flash Cannon as 4th slot on the Scarf Heatran.

:froslass: :latias: :jirachi: :swampert: :gengar: :heatran: ----- Replay ( W )

This is an edit of a team made by zf. This team had Roserade lead but had big big problems against Scarf Tyranitar so I replaced Rose by Colbur TWave Froslass ( same idea as the Azelf Mag Gengar team and also because I wanted to use it ); it's not perfect but it helps for sure. The Latias remains the same because I think it's a great set and a great Clefable / Heatran / Tyranitar lure. Jirachi is now Shuca Berry because HO mu was hard and now is totally manageable. So now fast Swampert is the rocker and can catch Breloom with Ice Beam. When I have Swampert x Gengar in a weatherless, I like to use Taunt Lum Berry on Gengar to have one of the best answers to Breloom. Heatran remains the Gengar switch-in, revenge killer and cleaner. All the credit goes to zf for having such good inspiration, I just adapted the team to my liking.

I really hope that one day a complex ban will happen. Free Froslass ( and Glaceon LOL ) !

Who could forget the famous thread from 2021 which ‘solved froslass offence’? This team ended up starting a trend in DPP where everyone tried to include a froslass lead somewhere in their builder. Years later imitation teams still popped up (like this one), although they never had as much of an impact as the first one did back in the day.

—————

Also, I’d like to post this ROAPL replay with hail froslass. There has been some discussion going on about how the replay involving a porygon-z’s hyper beam from the thread announcing the ban, wasn’t a good indication of froslass’s viability; and some people rightly suspected that lass wouldn’t be as good if it wasn’t facing fun stuff on the ladder.

However, just before the ban took place, it did see tournament use. Both players in this replay play rather well (please watch the replay to verify this), and they are also quite well known and experienced.

Hopefully this tournament replay eases some tensions in the community regarding the low ladderness of the evidence given in the ban thread.

Last edited:
I do agree that the Froslass ban was the incorrect decision, but I'm not looking to spread more vitriol on this. To continue in Don's presence, I will post a Froslass team of my own I quite liked.
https://pokepast.es/52308a47d0f94f3e
It's not a great team by any means (only one steel, clunky into Tom), but I had a lot of fun using it on my little corner of low ladder hell.

I don't really play DPP that often, but in my main team froslass was used because not only was it the fastest spiker at base 110 compared to roserade's bas 90, but it was one of two mons with spikes and destiny bond, the other being qwilfish. It fit really well into my team as it could support the rest of the team while also acting as a second win condition if my porygonz couldn't work. Here is the team if you are curious:
https://pokepast.es/fdd25fbccbbc715a
I know I'm just a low level scrub, but froslass had a genuine niche in the tier and I have been reluctant to play DPP because I found the team enjoyable, froslass being a huge contributing factor to the fun I had. It saddens me that they did this decision and I hope that the revert it.

SFG

Snom is Fucking Great
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
1706211928011.png

https://pokepast.es/8f87b552de310fbd

Last year, I brought this team for SPL, and it was probably one of the teams I used the most this year. ABR brought scarf Lass idea, and it's probably it was probably it's best set according to me. Thanks to choice scarf, you can trick some other leads (especially azelf) while being a super fast spikes setter, and, with that spread, eating a crunch + sand from ttar.

On another note:

Please kinp in mind that the purpose of this thread is to post some teams / replays you loved with Froslass.

This thread is NOT the place to debate / complain about the ban itself

Last edited:
Approved by Excal

Hello DPPers !

With the recent ban of Snow Cloak, I decided to post some of my Froslass teams cause as a Froslass lover and due to the recents events I had to ( I invite players to do the same ). With a unique typing, movepool and ability, Froslass had a really cool niche as Spikes Suicide Lead but alas with the recent rise of Abomasnow to counter weatherless team and the development of the metagame, people started to use her in hail centralized teams and yeah you know what happened :worrywhirl: ...

Anyway lets get into my love story with her ( :wo: ) and my teams !

I started to use this mon in 2021 but I didn't like the max SpA invests and also DBond on her cause it needs surprise effect while DBond was run on the only Lass sample set LOL. Also at this time, I watched a video from Emeral on his 2021 RoAPL; he used a Froslass team vs HODOR and I absolutly loved it ( iirc it was Lass Tar Luc Lati Pert Tom ). I made a few changes to my liking aka TWave > DBond ( very good pairing with SD Lucario ) with a max HP spread to be better into Empoleon and Jirachi lead ( calcs and theorycraft here ) and started toying with it.

:froslass: :swampert: :jirachi: :tyranitar: :scizor: :rotom-heat:

It was a build for a 2021 Secret Santa build, I ended to use it on ladder and for tours; I was searching originally a new approach for SD Zor.

I built this team during Froslass ( imo ) prime, before the rise of Scarf Tar lead stalls and hazards immu stalls. Icy Wind was getting common on Lass because it was better than Ice Beam vs Azelf and Aero. Lass x Pert is nice cause Pert can come on everything that Lass hates aka Metagross / Heatran / TTar etc. Special Mixed Jirachi as main Spikes abuser; Occa is important for Heatran ( designed spread to OHKO bulkless tran after 2 Spikes iirc ). Lass can sometimes TWave Heatran and Jirachi which is very nice for both DD Tar and SD LO Scizor, the main sweepers. Scarf Rotom is needed for Starmie and DDers; Scizor is good vs opposite DD Tar btw.

:froslass: :heatran: :azelf: :rotom-wash: :suicune: :jirachi:

A build for the DPP Teambuilding competition not the greatest but I had a loooooot of fun with it.

The Scarf Tar stall period ( SPL XIII ) was terrible for Froslass, her prime was now behind. The main spikes abusers hit most of the time on the special side so you want to pair Froslass with Special attackers, mons ( and special offense archetype ) that are weak to TTar ( Scarf Tar and DD Tar ).
I accepted the fact that Lass wasn't very good anyway and was also kinda like of a fish lead but I still wanted to have a chance to beat stall teams so I replaced Sash by Colbur Berry; I was now better into TTar and Champ but even more bad into Heatran, Bronzong and Metagross ( :metagross: <- even if less common now ). Because of that Shuca Tran came immediately to my mind to patch that. Specs Wash x Lum Azelf as the main abusers of a TWaved Scarf TTar. Classic Suicune, faster than Heatran and rare Mamoswine. Scarf Rachi last, as HWisher and DD Tar stopper; also an okish Specs Lati pivot.

:froslass: :swampert: :latias: :jirachi: :gengar: :heatran:

I wanted to bring Froslass for JDI; I saw zf's teamdump, I noticed the Rose lead team and I liked it. I did some modifications ( mainly Froslass > Rose ) and brought it for the round 6.

I like a lot this team cause nothing gives a free setup to DD Tar ( Taunt or 2HKO ) so I could truly justify Flash Cannon as 4th slot on the Scarf Heatran.

I really hope that one day a complex ban will happen. Free Froslass ( and Glaceon LOL ) !
Le Goat amazing explanations:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)