Entertainment Top Ten Most Annoying Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I write for another pokemon magazine, and I actually already wrote this out, but I was told it was too Smogony, so here I am! The original copy was for gen 5, so a little updating will be required on my part, assuming this gets accepted.

Okay, so the basis of this article is to list the top ten most annoying pokemon in the current OU metagame. We'll start with number ten and work our way to number one under this format:

Number
Pokemon
Pokemon pic
Description​

The description is the meat on this article and will include how the pokemon is annoying, examples, and hopefully some humor thrown in to boot. I feel like even though the current OU metagame has just begun, the new pokemon are already known for their niches, and therefore reliable information can hopefully be grabbed on how annoying they are. I know top ten articles on the magazine I write for are a hit, so hopefully the same vibe carries over here as well. Here's the list I'm thinking of so far:

10) Blissey
9) Trevenant
8) Chansey
7) Breloom
6) Sableye
5) Whimsicott
4) Togekiss
3) Liepard
2) Sigilyph
1) Jirachi

Hopefully you guys approve of this idea because with some help, I think it could be really funny. I play quite a bit of the OU tier, so I feel confident in writing this. Let me know what you think and if you feel like I'm missing something on the current list, please let me know. I look forward to working with you guys! :D

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, glad to see you're interested! Could you do us a favor and write up what you'd write for one of these mons? It'd be helpful to have an example of your writing abilities before we go on to approve this. We're mostly concerned with how well you understand the competitive nature of what you're talking about; grammar and prose aren't our primary concern. If you could write a sample, that'd be spiffy keen.

Sure thing! Since I mainly write about fan works, this will be my first time writing for the competitive side of things, so be sure to let me know if I explain things a bit too much. Anyway, since Blissey starts things off at number ten, I'll start with it:

#10 Blissey​

[Enter Blissey picture here!]​

Oh Blissey, is there a special wall that can take those hits like you? The answer is no, and it bugs the heck out of me. Nothing stops a special sweeper cold in its tracks faster. There are numerous ways, however, to get past this. Either you switch out and risk Blissey throwing out toxic/thunder wave, or you waste a valuable moveslot on your special sweeper to make room for psyshock. Not the most appealing options in the world, but it’s something you have to prepare for. Many Latis that don’t know psyshock have woken up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat having nightmares about Blissey ruthlessly sponging every single one of their attacks. Don’t think you’ll be able to overpower Blissey with a mere focus blast. You might as well be throwing foam at it. What about status conditions, will they work? The answer is no. With access to the ability natural cure, I'm afraid statuses will do close to nothing. Just look at it. Does that look like the face of mercy to you? Blissey comes in at number ten for being one of the most annoying walls ever to bless us with its presence.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The only thing I'm concerned is that this is identical to an article that was already done in the past (http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue23/annoying_sets). It is actually pretty much the same title lol! However, this is a new era of Pokemon compared to when that article was made and there are definitely some annoying Pokemon that weren't highlighted in that article (Liepard, Togekiss, Sableye, etc). I am pretty much still thinking whether this is okay or not, but if it's okay for other staff members, then I'm okay with it.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sorry for the late reply on this. I second Flora's opinion, seeing as the top spots of the last article with the same topic still remain in this version. I can also count three Pokemon with Prankster in your list, and while they have different movesets, they still share the core reason why they're annoying. As for the other nominations, I'm not entirely sure whether or not can be called annoying, since being good at their job doesn't necessarily warrant for feelings of contempt. So for me, it's a no.

However, judging by the Blissey snippet, you seem to have a good sense for writing, so if you have any other future ideas in the same vein, don't hesitate to make another pitch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)