LC Torchic (QC 1/1) (GP 1/1)

Altariel von Sweep

They Who Laugh Last
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Torchic @ Firium Z / Life Orb
Level: 5
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 36 Def / 200 SpA / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Grass
- Baton Pass

Torchic's offensive Speed Pass set lets it support its teammates by passing Speed boosts to them. Protect lets Torchic stack Speed boosts to start a sweep and scout for faster Pokemon and priority attacks like Fake Out from Mienfoo. Fire Blast is Torchic's main attack, dealing great damage to unresisted foes. If Torchic runs Firium Z, it can fire off a strong Inferno Overdrive to KO bulkier foes like Timburr. Hidden Power Grass lets Torchic hit Water- and Ground-types like Chinchou, Staryu, Mudbray, and Diglett super effectively. Baton Pass allows Torchic to pivot out and pass its Speed boosts to slower teammates like Mudbray and Spritzee to make them more threatening. Torchic pairs well with Stealth Rock setters like Ferroseed and Onix, as their hazards damage the foe to help Torchic sweep. Hazard removers like Staryu and Snivy are good teammates too, as they mitigate Torchic's Stealth Rock weakness to let it switch freely. Torchic's main flaws are its Water-type weakness and its inability to hit Ponyta; to fix this, use Diglett, which can trap and KO Ponyta and Mareanie, and Grass-types like Foongus, which can easily take on Water-types, as teammates.

Last edited:

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
Protect helps it to stack Speed boosts to start a sweep and scout for Choice Scarf Pokémon such as Mienfoo.
Scarf Mienfoo outspeeds Torchic after a protect. It can scout Fake Outs and some fast pokemon, but not scarf users particularly well.

. Hidden Power Grass hits Water- and Ground-types alike for super effective damage, thus giving it a decent coverage option.
You might want to mention some things it can now beat here. I know you mention just about all of them as potential partners later, but I don't think it's too repetitive to bring them up here again.

Looks really good! QC 1/1(?)

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Torchic @ Firium Z / Life Orb
Level: 5
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 36 Def / 200 SpA / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Grass
- Baton Pass

After a drop in usage of bulky Water-types in LC, Torchic rose as the best Fire-type in the tier, and for a good reason! This set functions as an offensive wallbreaker that can pasTorchic's offensive Speed Pass set lets it support its teammates by passing Speed boosts to other Pokémon. Protect helps it tolets Torchic stack Speed boosts to start a sweep and scout for faster Pokéemon and priority attacks such aslike Fake Out from Mienfoo. Fire Blast is its main STAB attack, which deals great damage to Pokémon that don't resist it, and if its coupled withTorchic's main attack, dealing great damage to unresisted foes. If Torchic runs Firium Z, it can fire a powerful Inferno Overdrive of only use which can knock out bulkier Pokémon such asoff a strong Inferno Overdrive to KO bulkier foes like Timburr. Hidden Power Grass lets Torchic hits Water- and Ground-types like Chinchou and Staryu, and Ground-types such as Mudbray, Staryu, Mudbray, and Diglett alike for super effective damage, thus giving it a decent coverage optionly. Baton Pass allows Torchic to leave the fieldpivot out and pass its Speed boosts to bulky offensive Pokémon such asslower teammates like Mudbray and Spritzee to make them more threatening. Torchic pairs well with Stealth Rock setters like Ferroseed and Onix, as they provide entry hazard damage to ease Torchic's sweep, and with hir hazards damage the foe to help Torchic sweep. Hazard removers like Staryu and Snivy, helping it with it are good teammates too, as they mitigate Torchic's Stealth Rock weakness to switch in and out comfortably. Torchic is not perfect, and it needs help dealing with Ponyta and bulky Water-types. Diglett fits in this function by removinglet it switch freely. Torchic's main flaws are its Water-type weakness and its inability to hit Ponyta; to fix this, use Diglett, which can trap and KO Ponyta and Mareanie, and Grass-types such as Foongus comfortably take on the latter.like Foongus, which can easily take on Water-types, as teammates.
I'm sorry about how long this check took. However, I was required to be very liberal with my changes, as the original character count was nearing 1.4k characters (1386 to be exact). Even with these changes, this spotlight still breaks the 1000 character limit by 172 characters. I've noticed that this is a common trend throughout your spotlights, so I was waiting on posting my check; however, after bringing it up with P Squared, she told me to post the check anyways, and that she'll look at this later. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but please be more mindful of the character limit when writing future spotlights.

GP 1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)