Tournament Proposal/Idea: Petit Cup Advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

RicepigeonKKM

Wait, who?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well, due to the success of a Little Cup Tourney that happened a few months ago, I figured that maybe some experimenting should be done with some of the other Stadium/Stadium 2 cups. Obviously Poke and Prime cups are no good, Little Cup has already been done and Challenge Cup we already have to an extent. Petit Cup caught my eye and I figured It'd be interesting, since it hasnt been done since RBY.

Just to refresh everyone's memory on the Petit Cup rules according to Pokemon Stadium:

IGN said:
# Limited to 45 Pokémon that appear in the Blue Panels (Qualifying Pokémon) section Check below for the complete list.
# Enter with six Pokémon
# Choose three out of six Pokémon
# Levels 25-30
# Maximum three-Pokémon level total 80
# Max. HT 6'8" and max. WT 44 lbs.
# Un-evolved Pokémon only
# No two Pokémon asleep or frozen
# Mew can't attend
# Get a continue for a perfect match
# No selfdestruct move with last Pokémon
The 7th rule down the list is a standard rule in almost every aspect of competitive battling, and the 9th rule doesn't apply if this were an actual tourney. Of course this was all done within the confines of RBY, and its been almost 3 generations since Petit Cup actually saw some light. Since then, the selfdestruct rule (# 10) has been updated to include Destony Bond, Perish Song, and Memento. Stadium 2 and Colosseum enforced an item clause, which I'll let you guys vote on. Unlike Little Cup, Petit Cup allows for standalone pokemon such as Farfetch'd, as long as it meets the height & weight limits.

Just to keep it easy on anyone whos interested, heres a list of all the Pokemon in ADV who are eligible for Petit Cup, being 6'08" or less and under 44 lbs:

RBY
Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Caterpie, Weedle, Pidgey, Ratatta, Spearow, Ekans, Sandshrew, Nidoran F, Nidoran M, Vulpix, Zubat, Oddish, Paras, Diglett, Meowth, Psyduck, Growlithe, Poliwag, Abra, Machop, Bellsprout, Geodude, Magnemite, Farfetch'd, Shellder, Gastly, Krabby, Voltorb, Exeggcute, Cubone, Koffing, Horsea, Goldeen, Magikarp, Ditto, Eevee, Omanyte, Kabuto, Dratini

GSC
Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Sentret, Hoothoot, Ledyba, Spinarak, Chinchou, Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Togepi, Natu, Mareep, Hoppip, Aipom, Sunkern, Wooper, Murkrow, Misdreavus, Unown, Pineco, Dunsparce, Snubbull, Qwilfish, Teddiursa, Swinub, Corsola, Remoraid, Delibird, Houndour, Tyrogue, Smoochum

RSE
Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip, Poochyena, Zigzagoon, Wurmple, Lotad, Seedot, Taillow, Wingull, Ralts, Surskit, Shroomish, Nincada, Whismur, Azurill, Skitty, Sableye, Mawile, Meditite, Electrike, Plusle, Minun, Volbeat, Illumise, Roselia, Gulpin, Spinda, Trapinch, Swablu, Barboach, Corphish, Anorith, Feebas, Castform, Shuppet, Duskull, Chimecho, Wynaut*, Snorunt, Luvdisc

The list isnt too much different from Little Cup, only this time the levels are higher and a few standalone pokes make their way in. I'll let you guys decide if Wynaut should be banned or not, Item Clause on, etc.

Definite Rules so far:
Code:
* Sleep/Freeze Clause
* Levels 25-30
* Max height 6'8" and max weight 44 lbs.
* Un-evolved or Standalone Pokémon only
* Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, & Wynaut are banned
* Dragon Rage can't be used
* No Selfdestruct/Explosion/DB/Perish Song/Memento with last Pokémon
Rules still up for debate:
Code:
* Choose three out of six Pokémon
* Maximum three-Pokémon level total 80 (Or total 160 if going with all 6)
* Sonicboom can't be used
* Item Clause on (most likely won't be)
* Only moves learnable up until the Pokemon's level (breeding defeats this)

I want to see a Dragon Rage ban first of all, that shit will 2hko everyone. =[

Also any post saying 'in' or 'i'd join' will be deleted on sight.

Ahh... the days of Ruby when Dragon Rage Bagon... How I miss that...
Wynaut may be a little too good, it would also cause Wy vs. Wy matches. Only moves learnable up to that point: egg variations excluded. XD mods?
Trapinch, the pre-600s,(Except Beldum) and Misdrevious will rape. I say 2 of 1 item max excluding the Pinch Berries and Lum. If Wynaut is allowed, no lefties.

Yeah, iirc, set damage moves were banned. Item clause is stupid and promotes the use of hax items. I tjink wynaut should be banned so we don't end up with stupid 500 turn battles seeing who's wynaut gets the most ch's. The 25-30 thing is stupid though, since everyone will just use level 30's.

Anorith seems like it can be very good. I didnt realize it was that fast. Are we going with moves that they can learn up to that point or any move that they can learn?

The 25-30 thing is stupid though, since everyone will just use level 30's.
# Maximum three-Pokémon level total 80

But then again... With 6 pokemon to choose from and the 3 you pick aren't allowed to go over 80 either forces you to use a team of level 26s or not have a full choice of pokemon :/

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Theoretically, the most effective teams would be ones with 2 lv.25 Pokemon to soften up the opposition and a lv.30 trump card like CM MissyD or Thick Club Cubone. Trapinch, Meditite, and *shudder* Rain Dance Omanyte IMO will rule somewhat. Ban Wynaut; that shit is stupid and everyone will be spamming it if allowed. No Item Clause, please; all the bitching about random hax items will be incredibly stupid, and it's difficult to prove that someone is using something like 2 Scope Lens.

RicepigeonKKM

Wait, who?
Missy would, but Petit cup allowed for standalone pokes for some odd reason, which is sort of an interesting change.

Also, Petit Cup didn't ban Dragon Rage. DR wasn't banned until Little Cup in Stadium 2 although yes, I agree that a DR ban should be put into effect.

I dont think Dragon Rage and Sonicboom really need to be banned. I can understand it for the Little cup, but for Advance Petit Cup, it just isnt needed. In the Pika Cup in Pokemon Stadium 1 (which was L.15-20 Pokes) Dragon Rage was not banned, and that could 2HKO everything except for Chansey who got 3HKOed as they had around 100-110HP (the rental one had 105 iirc). In the Little Cup in Pokemon Stadium 2, Dragon Rage and Sonicboom were not actually banned as such. In the Japanese version you could enter a Poke with the move, but if you used it in a match an error would appear (rather like when you try to use another move during an encore, or when you are choice banded, or when you are disabled, etc.), in all the newer versions, Dragon Rage acted like a normal dragon-type move when used. Kind of like a Dragon-type Water Gun. And Sonicboom was like an extra weak Tackle being only power 20.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Mekkah requested I post this:

[14:02:39] <Mekkah> Great Sage, chill down a little. Your aggressive tone seems to make an appearence in many of your posts and isn't needed. Ever.
[14:02:40] <Mekkah> Shuckle Man, I don't see any valid argument why Dragon Rage should not be banned, besides that it wasn't in the original game..after which you stated that it 2HKOed everything except Chansey there. Personally I think it should be banned because, as mentioned, 2HKOing everything is "happy."

We should maybe ban stuff like Cubone(thick club) and medite

offtopic:i actually won petit cup at pokemon stadium with rental pokemons some days agoXD

RicepigeonKKM

Wait, who?
Something I thought I should bring up: Sonicboom shouldn't be banned, at least not if Night Shade & Seismic Toss arent. Stoss & shade do 25-30 damage depending on the user's level here, which is 5-10 damage stronger than Sonicboom and 10-15 damage less than Dragon Rage. Its pretty much decided that Dragon Rage should definately be banned, but if Seismic Toss & Night Shade aren't, then Sonicboom shouldn't either.

Most things at level 30 is probably around the 80-90 HP range so pretty much Dragon Rage will 2hko everything which is kinda boring =/

Maybe attach a poll here with these options: options
* ban only Dragon Rage
* ban Seismic Toss, Night Shade and Dragon Rage
* ban all four of Dragon Rage, Seismic Toss, Night Shade, Sonicboom

Personally I'd say second option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)