Battle Stadium Trauma/Recovery - BSS Regulation F

DerpySuX

TABLES FLIPPED NOW WE GOT ALL THE COCONUTS BITCH
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
like paper figurines we fall

Regulation F is the first time I’ve been able to use a lot of the returning mons, since I started playing in Sword and Shield. One of the new mons I’ve had my eye on for a while is Serperior. My first teambuilding venture of Reg F was somewhat revolving around it and I’m quite happy with how the team turned out. It’s been really fun getting to experiment with the new (returning) mons that I never got to mess with before.

:Roaring Moon: :Serperior: :Dragonite: :Porygon2: :Flutter Mane: :Ogerpon Wellspring:

This time around I’ve made a much more immediately offensive team, making use of Roaring Moon, Serperior, and Flutter Mane’s offensive prowess, with the obligatory Dragonite for good measure. Porygon2 and Ogerpon-W serve as a good backbone that are also capable of keeping up the pressure.

As for what seems to be becoming a tradition here, the songs I feature in this team report will have some pretty heavy themes. Proceed with caution.

FREE.99
Denzel Curry
Panic! At The Disco
Kevin Sherwood
TEMPOREX
Fifty Grand
Lil Peep
XXXTENTACION
Nstryder

———
IMG_1158.png

ECLIPSE (Roaring Moon) @ Choice Band
Ability: Protosynthesis
Level: 50
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Iron Head

slide, ride, this a homicide

This thing is, frankly put, disgusting. There’s no other way to describe the horrifying level of damage it’s capable of putting out. If you’re not immune to one of its STABs, you are going to take huge damage. I don’t have a whole lot to put here, since most everything is fairly self explanatory. STABs for damage, Outrage is taken over other Dragon moves simply because the ludicrous power makes it worth the risky nature. Knock Off is invaluable in a meta with Porygon2, Iron Head is coverage for the omnipresent Flutter Mane and the onslaught of Tera Fairy this thing forces, and U-turn is a given on a choice set. Jolly is used over Adamant because it gets the jump on bulky or Adamant Chien-Pao, though I would still recommend you don’t go for the kill unless you absolutely have to or are completely certain it isn’t Jolly. Doubling up on Dragons is a risky thing to do when playing a meta so thoroughly dominated by Flutter Mane, but I think the sheer threat level of Roaring Moon makes it worth the risk, it can be really brutal if played properly.

———
IMG_1159.png

LEAF QUEEN (Serperior) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Stellar
EVs: 44 HP / 212 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Tera Blast
- Substitute

I am so much more than royal, snatch your chain and mace your eyes

Serperior is very interesting to me. Contrary is an ability I never got to mess with in Sword and Shield, seeing as the only users in those games, Malamar and Lurantis weren’t viable in BSS. Serperior not only makes great use of Contrary, but its auxiliary movepool is incredible as well. Leaf Storm is self explanatory as a STAB option that benefits from Contrary. Tera Blast provides decent or perfect neutral coverage, depending on if Tera is used. Glare is really key here though, with it Serperior can spread nearly unblockable paralysis. Substitute pairs wonderfully with this option, as grabbing one on a switch or a full para can often times spell the beginning of the end for the opponent. Stellar Tera is defensively useless, however when used, Tera Blast grants Serperior perfect neutral coverage, super effective coverage on anything that has Terastallized, and another way to abuse Contrary, as Stellar Tera Blast has a secondary effect of dropping the user’s offensive stats. I got Serperior’s HP as close to an optimal leftovers number as possible while maintaining the 2 hit KO on Flutter Mane with Leaf Storm. The bulk isn’t much but it has come in handy a couple of times. Overall I really enjoy Serperior, it’s definitely not the most consistent thing in the world, and it does somewhat rely on a good matchup and aggressive play, but if you can work with that, few things can end games as fast as it.

———
IMG_1160.png

THICC BOYS (Dragonite) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Roost

blind and deaf to all the violence, and I’ve always felt this way

I’ve written about this exact set so many times lol. Let’s do a rapid fire verison
Dnite is easily the best mon in SV BSS, pretty much mandatory on any serious team. This set is a very standard bulky DD set. Espeed and Earthquake provide good coverage against most of the meta, Roost allows us to take advantage of our bulk investment. Rocky Helmet allows Dnite to use its bulk to punish physical attackers such as Urshifu and other Dragonite. The EVs here outspeed Jolly Urshifu and Ogerpon after a boost, and then optimized for bulk. It’s really hard to go wrong with Dragonite, just be wary of letting it take too much chip, as it’s a bit easier to force it out in Reg F from my experience. Still the best Mon in the meta by a mile.

———
IMG_1161.png

WINDOWS XP (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 244 HP / 192 Def / 60 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Tera Blast
- Foul Play
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

but now he’s gone and she’s alone again

Porygon2 is incredible. Wide movepool, insane bulk, and incredible abilities to choose from. I went with a Physically Defensive spread here, given that P2 has a very interesting interaction via Trace. If it comes in and copies Chien-Pao’s Sword of Ruin, it neutralizes it, this allows Porygon2 to be arguably the single most consistent check to the vast majority of Chien-Pao sets. Given this also applies to the other Ruin abilities, I went with a good amount of Special Defense and a Calm nature to make it a serviceable mixed wall. Thunder Wave’s paralysis support is appreciated by Porygon2’s teammates, giving them turns to sub up and set up. Tera Blast gives it very flexible STAB, being able to pivot to a Poison attack if needed, should something like Tera Fairy Dragonite threaten to get out of hand. Foul Play serves a similar purpose, blanket checking physical attackers and discouraging setup. Tera Poison is taken to dodge toxic and absorb tspikes while granting a resistance to Fighting attacks. Finally, to pair with Thunder Wave I’ve invested 12 EVs into speed, this allows Porygon2 to outspeed non scarfed Urshifu once it is paralyzed. I think it’s pretty apparent, given the immense list of things it can annoy in this paragraph, that Porygon2 is an invaluable team member here. There’s almost nothing else that can cover so many threats in one slot.

———
IMG_1162.png
ABRACADAVRE (Flutter Mane) @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 180 HP / 68 Def / 60 SpA / 4 SpD / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

I go missing, I disappear… and no one can find me

I’m usually not someone who uses Flutter Mane super often. It’s not that I don’t think it’s good, I often find it to be one of the most suffocating presences in BSS in fact. It’s more so that I just, overlook it a lot of the time. Seeing what it’s capable of though, I’m always reminded of how much of a mistake it is to overlook this thing. It’s frankly disgusting. Firstly, Protosynthesis, or more aptly, Booster Energy, is just ridiculous. The fact that I can use a spread this bulky and still outspeed most common Scarfers is just ridiculous. Speaking of said bulk, this set focuses on being a nuisance to take down, despite being such an offensive threat. Substitute and Calm Mind form the backbone of this build, allowing Flutter Mane to flip most matchups with other Special Attackers or walls. It can set up on Porygon2 and most notably Ursaluna Bloodmoon. Draining Kiss is quite a power drop compared to the more standard Moonblast, however the healing ability makes this set an absolute menace once it gets a few boosts up. Tera Fairy is used not only because Fairy is already a great defensive typing but also to supplement the otherwise lacking power of Draining Kiss. To be perfectly honest I’m not too sure on what the EV spread is for exactly, all I know is that it goes fast enough for things like Scarf Urshifu and then pumps lots of bulk. I just kinda stole it from somewhere. Regardless, this set is a menace and has won me several games just on its own. Flutter Mane is incredible and honestly borders on being too good in my opinion.

———
IMG_1163.png
ALL STAR (Ogerpon-Wellspring) (F) @ Wellspring Mask
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 188 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Horn Leech
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

rain keeps falling, tears keep falling

Ogerpon Wellspring is really fun to use. This set is a bulky Substitute and Swords Dance build designed to both power through standard stall cores and be a decent defensive piece in its own right. Everything here is fairly self explanatory, Subtitute blocks status and OHKO attempts from walls such as Dondozo, Cudgel is reliable STAB and Horn Leech also provides good STAB damage while keeping Ogerpon Healthy. EV spread maximizes its SpDef tanking ability while outrunning up to base 70s. Not too much to say here, while it’s a simple set, it does its job admirably, and is a crucial part of the team.

———

That’s all for this team report. I think I should get to the elephant in the room now, what is up with the title and theming?

well, if you know me personally, you’ll know that 2023, particularly the last few months of it, were awful for me. I mean like, genuinely life shattering at certain points bad. I think late November to early December was my lowest emotional state in a long while. I lost a lot of loved ones in 2023 and a lot of my childhood pets ended up passing away toward the end of the year as well. Without going into too much detail, I attended more funerals and watched more caskets lowered on one year than I had in the prior decade combined. It ate me up, a lot, despite nothing I experienced technically qualifying as proper trauma, it was a traumatic time for me. I picked a lot of the songs here to reflect how I was feeling during this time, I was confused, angry, but mostly hurt, depressed, and lonely.

This all came to a head when I learned of the passing of a forum member here, I always viewed this community as a safe place, away from all the troubles I have in my everyday life. While I wasn’t personally acquainted with the member we lost in December, it still hit me, it reminded me that time eventually runs out for all of us.

This began my drive to work to better myself this year, both mentally and physically. A lot has happened to me in the past couple months, and it wouldn’t be much of an exaggeration to say I am broken in the emotional sense, but I’m still alive, I’m still here. I want to spend my 2024 working on recovering from these events, and I want to work on making myself a better person so I can have a better impact on those I care about. I’ve experienced my share of traumas, but now it’s time to begin my recovery.

Thank you for getting this far, I know it’s a lot to read, especially the personal stuff toward the end. I truly appreciate each and every one of you who read these reports. They’re a way to express myself in ways I can’t otherwise.

———

https://pokepast.es/0549d2b1dfd5cebe

———

REPLAYS
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9bssregf-2043421898
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9bssregf-2038595211?p2
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9bssregf-2043916234?p2
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9bssregf-2043755899?p2
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9bssregf-2043409347

———

don’t forget to live

Looks very strong um. Only thing I wonder is, couldn't Flutter be better w/ max Spe? Just cause of mirrors really, I'd wonder what exact bulk benchmarks are reached. I know you said it's not your spread, and I'm sure it's more than fine...I have a history of obsessing over EVs a bit much lol.

DerpySuX

TABLES FLIPPED NOW WE GOT ALL THE COCONUTS BITCH
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
There’s no need to spec for the mirror when I have SpDef p2 to tank standard sets and spread para, waterpon to tank special hits and recover it off with horn leech and tera steel moon should things get super dicey. Maxing speed for the mirror would just cut into bulk and make it more difficult for it to perform its intended role.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)