Trick Room - A Twisted World

"Wish I could rape the day
Something so radical
Lost the sense of sweet things
Who's gonna take me widely?

Guided by the pinball map
The driver, still unknown to me"

That's what most teams want to do, no? The days pass while they rape every other team in sight, we lose the mindset of having fun while we focus more on winning and then you be the best, the feared one. With a bit of godsend hax that makes you win some games, like a pinball map, where everything seems lost and then you win with a spin.
Heh, enough wannabe pro talk.

I made this team because I never tried Trick Room and it seemed so fun to play with. And because there aren't many Trick Room teams. I like to be hipster. c:
I find Trick Room a really fun, fast passed strategy which is almost completly offensive and I like that, seriously, I hate wheater and Stall teams, when I make a team I try not to use walls, but tanks.
There are a lot of Pokemon I love but they're not so good because of their speed issues, so I gave a try to Trick Room and it came out very good.

Team Building

Firstly I wanted a Lead who could set up Trick Room and I thought Banette was perfect. He could Taunt, set up Trick Room and use Destiny Bond to take a foe to hell with him. If he gets taunted he can still dish a good damage with Shadow Claw.

Then I wanted a powerhouse who could OHKO most targets without Defenses who dared to mess with my team, so I went to Rampardos, with his low speed and God-tier 165 base Attack.

And I wanted another Trick Room set up, yet a bulky sweeper, and I gave a shot to Duosion, he was good at first and could deal some good damage but he wasn't bulky enough to set up Trick Room as he was 2HKO by most sweepers.

I wanted a wallbreaker and Eelektross seems the perfect choice! He's slow and has a perfect 115/105 Base Attack/Special Attack, a good offensive movepool and can destroy a big number of threats.

Clamperl is my Special Sweeper version of Rampardos: slow, frail and can OHKO or 2HKO most of his treats, however she doesn't suffer from recoil damage like Rampardo's Head Smash.

And now I wanted the last Trick Room user, one who could Taunt and be fast, so of course I used Whmsicott, her ability, Prankster, gives +1 Priority to all non damaging moves, so I could get -5 priority Trick Room and +1 Priority Taunt, U-Turn to take a hit before switching in to a sweeper, it's very good.

Unsatisfied with Rampardos and Duosion performance, I switched them to Aggron and Slowking, respectively. It worked out great, Aggron does as much damage as Rampardos did and is a lot more bulkier. Slowking does more damage and is bulkier than Duosion aswell, and has the Regenerator trait.

And then someone in this thread said to try Gallade and he is awesome, he eliminates a big number of threats but I gain new ones because of him. Dx

Eelktross wasn't doing his job right, so I gave a shot to Marowak, and he was great, the physical version of Clamper, I'd say. He could OHKO/2HKO almost everything, but he would fall to Whimsicott and most of the times to Slowking.

I tried someone to put entry hazards. Who's better than Steelix in trick room? He can put Stealth Rock, Taunt Whimsicott or Sygylyph and even do some good damage with Gyro ball to Sceptile and some others. He could also check Emboar, but couldn't kill him.

Spiritomb could deal with Emboar and some other threats, mostly Slowking, but he wasn't bulky enough. It was always a 50/50 against Emboar, but he could easily deal with Absol, another big threat.

And the last one I'm using. He is really good and can tank almost everything that treats Aggron, but I have a slight feeling that he isn't enough.

Now without further delay, I shall show you the team:

A First Glance

The team focus on dealing tons of damage in a short period of time. I use Pokémon who can deal at least 1/3 damage to a big number of enemies, and I guess I don't need to say if I run out of Trick Room users on my team I will probably lose.

Voodoo (Banette) @

Trait: Insomnia
EVs: 252 Atk
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 Sp.Def / 0 Spe
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spe)
- Shadow Claw
- Taunt
- Trick Room
- Destiny Bond

I tried this guy because my girlfriend gave me a Voodoo doll and I've always liked[/SIZE] Banette. This guy is a pretty cool Suicide Trick Room Lead. The strategy behind it is to set up Trick Room and use Destiny Bond if the foe is going to kill you, if not, just use Shadow Claw, his base 125 Attack are pretty sweet. If you know the enemy is going to use Taunt (Whimsicott, Aerodactyl) use Shadow Claw, you'll do some good damage to them. Insomnia is great against leads with Spore or Sleep Powder.

MetalGolem (Aggron) @

Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
IVs: 0 Spe
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Punch
- Sleep Talk

My physical sweeper, the physical powerhouse. He has great coverage and he can deal tons of damage, however he can easily die to a special sweeper. Head Smash without recoil is pretty sweet, Heavy Slam does good damage and has STAB. Fire Punch for coverage and SleepTalk for Lilligant's Sleep Powder or Amonguss' Spore.

Necromancer (Slowking) @

Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 4 Sp. Def
Quiet Nature (+SpAtk, -Spe)
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Trick Room

My second Trick Room user. First I used Duosion, but he didn't do enough damage and wasn't enough bulky. Slowking is perfect, he can get some hard hits from most Pokemon, at least to set up a Trick Room and then he can do very good damage and has an awesome coverage.

BloodLeech @ (Eelektross)

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Sp. Atk
- T-Bolt
- Super Power
- U-Turn
- Giga Drain

My wall breaker. He has a great 115/105 base offensive stats, which makes him a great wallbreaker. T-Bolt is his STAB move, Super Power can deal with Cryogonal, Aggron, Klinklang. U-Turn is used as a last-turn switch for a teammate to set up Trick Room again or simply to damage foes like Mesprit, Uxie, Slowking. Giga Drain is pure coverage against Quagsire, Kabutops and Omastar.

Bloodstone (Clamperl) @

Trait: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 4 Sp.Def
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Sleep Talk

This guy hits a 500+ Special Attack, which is very impressive in Trick Room. He's the best Pokemon on this team and can OHKO/2HKO almost everything. Way to go, little Pearl.

Magician (Gallade) @

Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 Sp.Def
- Drain Punch
- Fire Punch
- Leaf Blade
- Trick Room

My final Trick Room user. He's bulky enough to deal with Galvantula, Moltres, Accelgor and Sp. Sweepers in general and at the same time he can give a big hit or two. Drain Punch is his STAB Recover skill who can give pain to Magneton, Absol and some more, Fire Punch hurts Galvantula, Accelgor and Cryogonal and Leaf Blade is for coverage, mostly to 2HKO or CritHKO Slowking.

Threats:

Only Dusknoir can check him, without trick room he can sweep my entire team, ffs. I need something to kill him asap.

This thing has the power to destroy all my team, specially my Trick Room users... I really do need something to kill him out of trick-room.

Conclusion:
Trick Room is a great strategy and I enjoy it very much. I really do like this team, but it's far from being "perfect" and I do too many noob mistakes and bad predicts.
I would like your help to make this team perfect, thanks in advance.
...and sorry for me killing the English language.

Last edited:
1) I recommend you change your lead to Smeargle, who is a great Trick Room lead. With Focus Sash and Magic Coat, he is more or less guaranteed to get off Trick Room with good prediction except when facing down Multi-hit users. He's also got Spore, Endeavour (after you have been brought to 1 HP), entry hazards, you name it, he's got it (he's Smeargle after all), and you can mess around with the set to your heart's content. Run enough speed to outrun and Spore opposing Crustle leads who can KO you trough your Sash with Rock Blast; unfortunately Cincinno is still a problem.
2) If you miss the sleep absorbing qualities of Banette, Choice Band Escavalier with Sleep Talk seems like a good option.
3) Lose Clamperl, if you stop and think for two seconds you will realise how silly a Shell Smash sweeper is in Trick Room conditions.
4) Mixed Emboar looks like it could work a treat to help take down the Bulky Grass types you mentioned.
5) It might be worth having a Choice Scarf user for when your five turns run out. If your Scarfer has Trick too, it can be useful inside Trick Room by giving an opponent a horrible item. But I can't think of a good RU Trick Scarfer. This would also help you against Cincinno.
6) Lose Leech Seed on Whimsicott - this works way too slowly to be of use. Memento or Encore are nice alternatives.

1) I'll try that, thanks.
2) I wanted a lead who can set up Trick Room
3) Clamperl is my best sweeper, and to be honest I never used his Shell Smash.
4) Hmmm maybe I'll try that.
5) Hm I never thought about that, it didn't seemed too useful.
6) Yeah, too be honest I never used Leech Seed on Whimsicott, just Taunt, U-Turn and Trick Room.

I'll be adding another threat, btw.

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
I have an RU TR Team like this, but some things just don't seem to fit
#1-If you want to get rid of your spore problems, I would recommend Choice Banded Agrron with Sleep Talk. EQ isn't recommended on Banded Aggy because He wants all three of his other moves to OHKO Lilligant. Aggron is also a tremendous threat with CB because 252+ Atk Choice Band Aggron Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Amoonguss: 427-504 (98.84 - 116.66%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO
compared to 252+ Atk Life Orb Aggron Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Amoonguss: 370-437 (85.64 - 101.15%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO where he could possibly switch out, regenerate, and continue to annoy your team.
#2-Another thing that seems out of place is whimsicott. Life Orb accelgor looks like a HUGE threat to this team out of TR, 2HKO'ing or OHKO'ing every mon on your team, and whimsi doesn't help much about that or galv or amoonguss. I'd recommend Specially Defensive Gallade over Whimsi, as he is only 4HKO'd by a Life orb Bug Buzz from accel, and he can provide wish support to your other mons who might've gotten dented during the battle and is only 3HKO'd by life orb thunder from Galv and can wish off any prior damage. I'd probably put fire punch over drain punch to nail the threats you were talking about relatively hard pretty much 3HKO'ing Amoonguss, 2HKO'ing Galv, and having a 25% chance to OHKO Accelgor.

#3-just minor nitpicks, Run psyshock over Psychic for cryogonal because fire blast has a very small chance of 2HKO'ing, and it hits gallade harder.

pretty solid team you have here, but I'm sure some real RU Pros will point out some different things and disagree with me completely lol. Love RU TR

Recommended Changes-
#1-change Aggron to CB and put sleep talk over Superpower/EQ

#2-give Slowking psyshock

#3-Gallade>whimsi
Gallade (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Wish
- Protect
- Fire Punch
- Trick Room

hope i helped and Gl with the team

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hi, I just have a few small suggestions to make.
First off, you don't really need to run all those 0 IVs and uninvested stats on your Banette! Even without the lowered stats, Banette isn't too hard to 2HKO, meaning you can usually get Trick Room up and DBond anyways. Furthermore, putting 31 IVs into HP and Defense, even if you don't want to make an EV investment, helps against Cinccino;
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Skill Link Cinccino Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Banette: 210-245 (78.06 - 91.07%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Also, since you have Psyshock and Fire Blast on your Slowking already, why not just go for Surf? The extra power is really helpful and you usually won't really need the 30% chance for a burn.

Hope I helped!

Actually the 30% chance of burn does help, specially against Druddigon.

Well guys, I'm thinking of switching Eelektross for another mixed-sweeper who can deal against my threats, specially Absol. I'm thinking about Banded Druddigon or Mixed Emboar, what do you think?

...or mixed Seviper, because I'm hipster, even knowing it won't work.

one alternative you could use is a Trick Room Gothitelle instead of Gallade. Now i know that Gothitelle has base 80 speed, yet IMP, that's too slow! Good enough for a Trick Room!! I used it before by making it the standard 252HP /252 SAtk /4SpD EV spread, with a Nature boost to Special Attack and a nature drop in Speed (you can use a different EV spread if you choose). The key moves here is are Calm Mind and Trick Room, as if you time it right, you can get a free Calm Mind up and leave holes in the opponents team. I usually run Psychic and HP Fire for the other too moves. The best thing about this set is that it's unpredictable.

Another option is Trick Room Slowpoke, who can set up with Calm Mind/Curse (depending on what you want) and use basic coverage moves, such as Fire Blast, a Water/Psychic Stab Move, or Ice Beam. It has the same SpAtk as Slowking, but has better Def than him, yet worse SpDef, yet the Calm Mind's will make up for it!

Last but not least, if you want to create tanks through Baton Pass Trick Room, use the Musharna set that EWNetwork runs on his YouTube Channel. Curse/Baton Pass/Yawn/Trick Room with a Special Wall EV Spread. It's good for Baton Passing Curses to Tanky and Bulky Pokemon that are hard to counter. Also, Musharna's Special Def is decent enough to take most Special hits that aren't super effective. The best thing also is that it is very unpredictable.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I disagree with everything you just said, because:

Gothitelle is not RU. It is borderline, so essentially OU and no lower.

Slowpoke is a horrific Pokemon, in a tier with Slowking there is no reason to use Slowpoke. I mean, you wouldn't use Slowpoke in LC... or probably not even LC UU.

Taunt bait Musharna is a terrible idea, and let me tell you this now: never use sets from youtube. Do you want to use Onix? Do you want to use taunt bait Musharna in a tier full of Taunt? I would go with Onix, another renowned youtube Pokemon. If you want actual competitve sets look here: http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/

Guys I changed Eelektross to Marowak and he's a powerhouse, almost perfect, but still not what I want. Banded Druddigon is good for this, paired with Aggron? Perhaps mixed or physical Emboar? What do you think?

I disagree with everything you just said, because:

Gothitelle is not RU. It is borderline, so essentially OU and no lower.

Slowpoke is a horrific Pokemon, in a tier with Slowking there is no reason to use Slowpoke. I mean, you wouldn't use Slowpoke in LC... or probably not even LC UU.

Taunt bait Musharna is a terrible idea, and let me tell you this now: never use sets from youtube. Do you want to use Onix? Do you want to use taunt bait Musharna in a tier full of Taunt? I would go with Onix, another renowned youtube Pokemon. If you want actual competitve sets look here: http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/
I got the names messed up bro! I was typing so fast I didn't notice lol, My bad!

I meant Gardevoir, not Gothitelle. I mentioned "base 80 speed", and it should be obvious that i didn't mean Gothitelle because it doesn't have base 80 Speed and is in BL.

I meant Slowbro, not Slowpoke. I mentioned about how it's stats are "similar to Slowking's", and we all know that Slowpoke totally doesn't cuz it's only the first evolution!

^^ Forget about those typos lol!!

About Musharna:

Etika's Musharna Set isn't a bad one, it's a unique one, and can be effective if used right!! Take me for example, I used to run a Sceptile Set with HP Ice/ Earthquake/ Focus Blast/ Frenzy Plant where if I know Sceptile is gonna die, I smash the foe with Frenzy Plant. If he fails to kill me during the recharge, he gets hit with another one. It depends on your playing style. Sure it is ok to have a standard set from Smogon because of it's consistency, but a surprise set/move can catch people off guard and allow for some opportunities to open up. Take a look at Shofu's (YouTuber) Sleep Talk Latios Set. Sure it's not typical, but it is unexpected, and it helped him out in some matches. I never ran that set, yet it worked for him, so I can't complain. Unique Sets surprise people, and although they aren't standard and smogon approved, they are competitive and they can work well if used right.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I got the names messed up bro! I was typing so fast I didn't notice lol, My bad!

I meant Gardevoir, not Gothitelle. I mentioned "base 80 speed", and it should be obvious that i didn't mean Gothitelle because it doesn't have base 80 Speed and is in BL.

I meant Slowbro, not Slowpoke. I mentioned about how it's stats are "similar to Slowking's", and we all know that Slowpoke totally doesn't cuz it's only the first evolution!

^^ Forget about those typos lol!!

About Musharna:

Etika's Musharna Set isn't a bad one, it's a unique one, and can be effective if used right!! Take me for example, I used to run a Sceptile Set with HP Ice/ Earthquake/ Focus Blast/ Frenzy Plant where if I know Sceptile is gonna die, I smash the foe with Frenzy Plant. If he fails to kill me during the recharge, he gets hit with another one. It depends on your playing style. Sure it is ok to have a standard set from Smogon because of it's consistency, but a surprise set/move can catch people off guard and allow for some opportunities to open up. Take a look at Shofu's (YouTuber) Sleep Talk Latios Set. Sure it's not typical, but it is unexpected, and it helped him out in some matches. I never ran that set, yet it worked for him, so I can't complain. Unique Sets surprise people, and although they aren't standard and smogon approved, they are competitive and they can work well if used right.
Well Slowbro is UU -- above RU still.

And Gardevoir is bad on Trick Room.

Unique sets surprise people, yes, these are called lures. Lures only work if they "lure" an opponent in. Take, for example, Thunder Duosion. Duosion "lures" in Mandibuzz and smacks her hard. Sleep Talk is good on most things anyway...

As for the Sceptile set -- no. You lack a STAB except for Frenzy Plant, and it is also not a lure. This would be comparable to... Rock Wrecker Rhydon, for example, but Rhydon is so much bulkier than Sceptile that he could actually tank the recharge damage (don't use this though, Rock Blast is better 100% of the time). While I get that surprise sets can be good, I myself actually hype up some random surprise sets (some become standard! :O) you need to distinguish "surprise" and "bad". For example, the Musharna set is taunt bait, this is bad because... well... people handle Musharna with Taunt already. This Musharna can just struggle or switch after that, this is also known as NOT GOOD. Surprise sets need to have a specific use, something that most of them really lack.

I've been testing stuff and there are 4 Pokémon to use as a substitute to Eelektross:
Marowak - works as a Physical Clamperl, a big powerhouse.
Dusknoir (the one I use) - Works as another Trick Room user who can deal with threats to Aggron and against Whimsicott and Sygylyph.
Spiritomb - Offensive version of Dusknoir who can deal with Emboar, but doesn't has Trick Room.
Steelix - Can do some good damage, put Stealth Rocks and taunt aswell.

I want to use Taunt + Trick Room on Dusknoir, but the other two moves? Help me, please.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)