ORAS UU Trick Room Hyper Offense (starring Mega Ampharos!)

I have a confession to make. Despite this team being the most one of the most enjoyable I have ever used, most of it was not made by me. The inspiration came from the YouTube channel macadii (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMQ4fg3a-vKKhNK1vDI2ZKA), specifically his Trick Room hyper offense team for OU, shown in this video here:
The team consisted of Mega Ampharos, Bronzong, Crawdaunt, Conkeldurr, Porygon2, and Reuinclus. I tried this team in OU, but with little success. I had more losses than wins overall and was often overpowered and swept, being completely helpless outside of Trick Room. So I had the idea to adjust the team to work in UU, and I was completely blown away by how well it did. Here it is, in all its glory:

(Note: none of the pictures following were made by me.)

Let's start with the lead:
437__bronzong_by_rukari_boy-d4wnucs.png

Bronzong @ Normal Gem
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Explosion
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

This is a direct copy of macadii's Bronzong on his OU Trick Room team, a direct copy since it just works so well. I always lead with this Pokemon unless I'm sure the opponent will lead with something that could one-shot this, and I always, always start the game by clicking Trick Room, and from there Bronzong can use Explosion and do some serious damage to all but those who resist it. Stealth Rocks and Gyro Ball I don't use much. The former is useful, but I usually don't need rocks to win, and the latter I hardly ever use unless it's super effective. Sometimes Bronzong can be saved if need be so it can be used to set up another Trick Room or explode, though it usually died second to third turn.

(I ended up replacing Bronzong with a Pokemon that filled its niche better.)

Let's start with the real lead:
dance_diancie_dance__by_daisyduke14-d784fyk.png

Diancie @ Mental Herb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm

Due to Bronzong's inconvenient weakness to dark, and my team's trouble with certain Pokemon that crippled me, I have decided to replace my former lead with a Diancie of my own design. Though the idea came from Barwon's own Trick Room UU team, the EV spread and movepool are different. Trick Room is obvious. Moonblast is things like Mienshao, Chesnaught, and other fighting types which my team struggles with. Stealth Rock is helpful, but isn't always set up as often I want to get into a sweeper right away. Lastly, Diamond Storm is for stuff like SpD Zapdos that gives my team major grief. I decided to forego Explosion since I prize longevity on this Diancie. If it faints, the only Trick Room setter on my team that can take a hit or two is Porygon2, and it is often overwhelmed.

Once a Trick Room is up and my Bronzong has exploded, I have a choice of sweepers to send out, for example Dragalge:
EkTEcS1.jpg

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Dragon Pulse

Outside of Trick Room Dragalge is frightening enough, but after it gets a kill it can easily be scared off with the threat of a Psychic or Ground type move. When the dimensions are twisted, however, Dragalge becomes surprisingly hard to revenge. Things like Krookodile or Mega Aerodactyl that would be able to one-shot this monster suddenly find themselves being one-shot by a STAB Choice Specs Adaptability Quiet nature 252 SpA Dragon Pulse (although the latter would require rocks to be killed if it switched in on full). In fact, many things that would scare Dragalge simply cower in fear during Trick Room. Draco Meteor is a nuke, even after the SpA drop it hits hard. Focus Blast is simple coverage, Sludge Wave is for things like Florges or Chesnaught, and Dragon Pulse is what I typically spam until the dimensions return to normal.

(I also ended up replacing Dragalge due to many of its functions already being covered by Mega Ampharos, and the fact that this team could use another physical attacker instead of yet another special one)

Once a Trick Room is up and my Bronzong has exploded, I have a choice of sweepers to send out, like Escavalier:
fa_escavalier_082414_by_evilapple513-d7whqt2.jpg

Snailman (Escavalier) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Drill Run
- Knock Off

Base 135 attack is quite large, letting this Pokemon hit rather hard. Base 105 SpD with Assault Vest is also quite large, letting this Pokemon take special hits with ease. These two good attributes, combined with Escavalier's diverse movepool, makes it a true threat to the bulky Fairies, Darks, Psychics, and everything else that doesn't resist its moves, a threat that doesn't mind being blasted with a special attack or two. Megahorn is the primary powerful STAB that nukes things like Umbreon and Cresselia, Iron Head is secondary STAB that destroys Florges, Drill Run is basic Ground coverage, and Knock Off is more for utility than anything. Overall, this is a very valuable addition to my team.

A sweeper option on the special side is Reuinclus:
reuniclus___sweet_soiree_by_rokugurin-d4ochyf.png

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room

This Pokemon serves both to sweep and set up more Trick Rooms should they run out. A copy from macadii's OU Trick Room team, Reuniclus does both jobs just fine. Magic Guard + Life Orb makes all this Pokemon's moves hit harder with no consequence whatsoever. Psyshock straight up kills whatever is weak to it, and does great damage to things like Blissey and Florges. Focus Blast is coverage against mostly Dark types, which Reuinclus can outspeed and KO in Trick Room. Shadow Ball is for stuff like Cresselia and other Reuinclus. And of course, Trick Room is for keeping the slow mons on top of their game. Not much else to say but this Pokemon is great.

And now for the star of the show:
mega_ampharos_by_monjava-d6rpoev.jpg

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
Quiet Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

I think the whole "Donald Trump hasn't got a haircut in a while" look suits Mega Ampharos quite nicely, since this Pokemon's power is YUUUUUUUUGE. While in normal UU Ampharos struggles with its low speed, Trick Room turns this to his benefit, making this macadii Pokemon almost impossible to revenge kill. Volt Switch gains momentum, although to be honest I don't use it much on this team and may even replace it with something else. Dragon Pulse destroys Dragon types and gets good neutral damage on things that resist Electric or Fighting moves. Thunderbolt is the main move, hitting like a truck with STAB. Lastly, Focus Blast is for things like Krookodile and Hydregion who think they can destroy the glorious being that is Mega Ampharos (spoiler alert: they 2HKO it, so that means Ampharos has 2 opportunities to OHKO them with a Focus Miss in Trick Room).

But who's supporting all these great mons? Why, none other than Porygon2!
latest

(Sorry folks. No exciting picture here.)
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
Quiet Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Trick Room
- Recover

This is the most reliable Trick Room setter on my team. The third Pokemon of those copied from macadii's team, this Porygon2 doesn't have as much bulk as a regular set but it can certainly hit harder. With a Quiet nature and a lucky download boost (I always sigh if my attack gets boosted when I expected it to be my SpA), Porygon2 can be quite powerful, especially with BoltBeam coverage which hits many things super effectively and everything neutrally. Despite this, Porygon2 doesn't do much sweeping, since I prefer it to switch in, sponge a hit, set up Trick Room, maybe fire off a super effective move here or there, and then switch out so I can send in another sweeper. Recover I don't use much, although it's useful for stalling out waning Trick Room turns so I can set up another one.

What's that you say? Not enough physical sweepers you say? Have no fear!
crawdaunt_is_awesome_by_redchocobo.jpg

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

They say that doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results is the definition of insanity, but I'd assert that the real definition of insanity is this macadii Crawdaunt completely demolishing whatever unfortunate Pokemon stands in its way with the broken power of a Base 100 STAB Adaptability Life Orb Brave nature 252 attack Crabhammer. This thing is nasty. In Trick Room, it's unstoppable. Even outside of Trick Room, it's fierce. Not having to invest in speed gives this thing surprising bulk that lets it take a hit and dish out more damage than a Wobbufett would have. Knock Off kills everything weak to it and everything also not weak to it. Aqua Jet is priority, both in and out of Trick Room, and Swords Dance, while not used often, can be interpreted as a "win" button if there are enough Trick Room turns left.

And that's my team. I've played 22 games in UU with this team, and won 19 of them. I think the best thing about this team is just how easily and quickly you can win games. I don't even have to try that hard, I just click Trick Room and proceed to sweep. It's certainly a fun team, and I'm looking forward to suggestions on how to improve it.

Last edited:
Bump because of big change: After a great deal of laddering and testing with this team, I have decided to replace my Dragalge with an Escavalier due to Escavalier's better type coverage and being a physical attacker. See main post for details. I'm still seeking feedback!

Update: I replaced Bronzong with Diancie after some further laddering. Thanks for the idea, Barwon. Also, thanks for the picture suggestion, dankmemesfam, but I won't use it.

Just stumbled across this RMT xD Glad you took inspiration from my OU trick room team! I'll give this team a go if I get a chance and see how the changes do (with credit given of course!)

Back