Trick Room Offensive

Hello! This is my first post and the first team I've like enough to post online. I used to play rain and sand teams but they got boring or they were (mostly) stolen from other people.
I decided to play a Trick Room team because I always find myself under/overestimating speeds during battles which leads to a lot of bad plays. With this team they will always go first or last depending on whether Trick Room is active. (disregarding priority attacks)

So without further ado, here is my team.

At a glance:

FIRST LEAD

Bronzong @ Mental Herb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 92 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Reflect

Bronzong is my lead and first Trick Room setter. His sky-high defences means he almost always survives at least one hit to set up trick room. Mental Herb item to prevent taunting. Without Leftovers recovery he usually only survives 2 or 3 switch-ins. If I know hes about to be KOed I set up a TR followed by either an SR or Reflect depending on the opponents team.

SECOND LEAD

Slowking (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Surf
- Psyshock

I use Slowking as my lead if I think the opponent is using a powerhouse Fighting or Fire type that could put a dent in Bronzong. The two of them have good synergy since they can resists most types of attacks. With his bulk and Regenerator, Slowking is usually the one I use to setup TR multiple times and switch out. As such he is usually my last poke standing. I chose Nasty Plot over Slack Off as Regenerator is usually sufficient for healing and so that I have an emergency sweeper when the rest of the team is KOed. Psyshock for dealing with special walls that tank Surf.

SPECIAL SWEEPER

Reuniclus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Reuniclus. Probably the best TR abuser and sweeper. Not much to say here. Standard Smogon set. Third and last TR setter in the team.Not as bulky as the other 2 so I usually use either Bronzong or Slowbro to setup TR before switching into him and starting the sweep. Psychic over Psyshock since I have Slowking and physical sweepers.

STEEL KILLER

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Magnezone is for trapping and killing Steel types that would give the rest of my team a headache. TR also lets me use him as a secondary special sweeper, albeit with poor coverage. Thunderbolt is the obligatory STAB attack for Skarmory and Jellicent. Hidden Power takes care of Ferrothorn, Scizor and enemy Bronzong. Volt Switch for scouting and some damage. Flash Cannon is mostly filler. I can't really decide whether to use Choice Specs or an Air Balloon. I like the power boost but getting locked into one attack isn't very fun and an Air Balloon is really useful since the opponent has to use a turn attacking Magnezone which thanks to its typing and defense, the damage is usually minimal. Some help would be appreciated.

PHYSICAL SWEEPER #1

Emboar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Flare Blitz
- Hammer Arm
- Wild Charge
- Head Smash

The forgotten Fire/Fighting starter Pokemon of the 5th generation, Emboar was built for Trick Room. The thing I like most the Emboar is its insane movepool. Flare Blitz and Hammer Arm are regular STAB moves but Wild Charge and Head Smash give it wide coverage. Wild Charge is great for catching water types off guard who think they can take an attack. Thanks to TR, Emboar will go first and hopefully net an OHKO before the opposing pokemon has a chance to hit him with a STAB water attack. Head Smash is the same thing, but with Flying types. Unfortunately, Emboar dies very quickly since 3/4 of his moves have recoil. It is this that made me give him Leftovers over a Life Orb to prolong his sweep. I chose Blaze over Wreckless because I prefer to stay away from the Dream World tier.

PHYSICAL SWEEPER #2

Honchkrow (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Insomnia
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Honchkrow is my second physical sweeper and Ghost killer. This is the standard set from Smogon with Heat Wave replaced in favour of Pursuit. I took out Heat Wave since it was the only special move on the set. Pursuit works well for trapping Ghosts that threaten Reuniclus and Blisseys that wall it and like running away when faced with a physical attacker. It also gives a more reliable Dark attack for if I lose Sucker Punch mind gamer. Superpower is good for catching Rock, Steel and Normal types off guard. Works great as a Breloom counter since it resists both of Breloom's STABs and Insomnia gives it Spore immunity.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

No time for a full threat list but I have noticed I struggle against Sun teams that carry Volcarona. Bronzong and Magneton don't like taking boosted Fire Blasts while Slowking and Reuniclus die to Bug Buzz. With all my Trick Room setters dying to Volcarona, a properly timed Volcarona switch when TR expires can kill my team if Emboar and Honchkrow have been weakened enough to get KOed before being able to hit it with Head Smash or Brave Bird.

Thoughts?

I can really see a MixInfernape doing Heavy damage to this team unless you get the trick room up, then it should be fine :)

I just feel embroar is kind of weak against bulky water types such as
Jellicent, Swampert, Suicune and even a DDKingdra looks like it can switch into it and dance up.

Therefore, your reuniclus is an essential part of this team. In my opinion, its the strongest trick roomer in Gen 5.

Although your embroar looks promising, I recommend Machamp

or conkeldurr

with

Leftovers Guts Brave / Adamant
Moveset
~ Bulk Up
~ Drain Punch
~ Mach Punch
~ Payback / Stone Edge

EVs
120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SpD

Just from looking at this team, I can see it's pretty solid. However, it may be a good idea to drop Magnezone, because most of your pokemon can deal with Steels well and you don't need a Magnezone to get rid of them. I'd suggest replacing it with a Tinkerbell Celebi, but minus Thunder Wave, as obviously you don't want to slow things down on this team.
Celebi@Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 232 HP/240 SpA/36 Def
IVs: 30 Spe
Quiet Nature (+SpA,-Spe)
>Leaf Storm
>Recover
>Hidden Power Fire
>Earth Power/U-Turn/Trick Room

Normally in the last slot you would run Thunder Wave, but because this is a trick room team it's probably a bad idea. Also, you should NOT run minimum speed on this Celebi unless you run Trick Room, because in general on any team built around a certain field effect (including weather) you will want to have at least one mon who doesn't suck outside of the effect. In this case, it's Celebi.

Hey, I'm a Trick Roomer, and I agree your team gets rid of Steel types easily and you can drop Magnezone. And on Hounckrow it's DW ability is a beast. Can insomnia for Moxie, and watch your opponent team fall.

Although your embroar looks promising, I recommend Machamp

or conkeldurr

with

Leftovers Guts Brave / Adamant
Moveset
~ Bulk Up
~ Drain Punch
~ Mach Punch
~ Payback / Stone Edge

EVs
120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SpD
I would not recommend this Conkledurr set. Conkledurr will only have two of action in TR if he bulks up. Rather, I would recommend the Choice Band set with Hammer Arm:

Conkledurr (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Guts
- Hammer Arm
- Stone Edge
- Payback
- Mach Punch

This set will allow Conkledurr to hit hard right off the bat without any set up, which would otherwise waste turns of Trick Room. Hammer Arm works great in Trick Room, allowing a speed boost every turn it is used. 90% of the time you will just be using Hammer Arm. Stone Edge will mostly be used Gyrados and Volcanorna. Payback is there becausse there really isn't anything else worthwhile to use, and you should seldom use it. Mach Punch from >600 Attack will allow you to revenge kill al ot of threats outside of TR.

Hey, I'm a Trick Roomer, and I agree your team gets rid of Steel types easily and you can drop Magnezone. And on Hounckrow it's DW ability is a beast. Can insomnia for Moxie, and watch your opponent team fall.
I tried that but apparently Moxie is incompatible with Brave Bird, Sucker Punch and Superpower (basically its entire moveset).

Just from looking at this team, I can see it's pretty solid. However, it may be a good idea to drop Magnezone, because most of your pokemon can deal with Steels well and you don't need a Magnezone to get rid of them. I'd suggest replacing it with a Tinkerbell Celebi, but minus Thunder Wave, as obviously you don't want to slow things down on this team.
Celebi@Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 232 HP/240 SpA/36 Def
IVs: 30 Spe
Quiet Nature (+SpA,-Spe)
>Leaf Storm
>Recover
>Hidden Power Fire
>Earth Power/U-Turn/Trick Room

Normally in the last slot you would run Thunder Wave, but because this is a trick room team it's probably a bad idea. Also, you should NOT run minimum speed on this Celebi unless you run Trick Room, because in general on any team built around a certain field effect (including weather) you will want to have at least one mon who doesn't suck outside of the effect. In this case, it's Celebi.
After some more testing I agree Magnezone is kinda redundant and I'll probably replace it. The Celebi looks good but I'm afraid of having 4 Psychics on my team especially when all of them are the TR setters. Celebi having a 4x weakness to bug doesn't help much either.

I would not recommend this Conkledurr set. Conkledurr will only have two of action in TR if he bulks up. Rather, I would recommend the Choice Band set with Hammer Arm:

Conkledurr (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Guts
- Hammer Arm
- Stone Edge
- Payback
- Mach Punch

This set will allow Conkledurr to hit hard right off the bat without any set up, which would otherwise waste turns of Trick Room. Hammer Arm works great in Trick Room, allowing a speed boost every turn it is used. 90% of the time you will just be using Hammer Arm. Stone Edge will mostly be used Gyrados and Volcanorna. Payback is there becausse there really isn't anything else worthwhile to use, and you should seldom use it. Mach Punch from >600 Attack will allow you to revenge kill al ot of threats outside of TR.
Would a Flame Orb over a Choice Band be a good idea? I'd prefer to avoid choice items in TR to minimise switching.

Edit2:Bronzong should have leftovers to imrpove longetivity, Mental Herb isn't that helpful and Bronzong lacks any recovery.

Yes, Flame Orb on Conkeldurr can be very dangerous in Trick Room.

Set:
Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Brave 252 Atk/252 HP/4Def
-Hammer Arm / Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge / Rock Slide

Drain Punch can be used over Hammer Arm to lengthen Conkeldurr's life, but there is obviously a power drop, I prefer Hammer Arm. Payback has no place in Trick Room which was mentioned above.

TBH, Slowking is not going to be sweeping much, but its counterpart Slowbro can be a good support poke for TR teams. Lets face it, Slowking just isn't that strong even after a boost. Slowbro can shut down a lot of physical threats in the metagame and can support your team better. Try this set out.

Set:
Slowbro @ Leftovers
Relaxed 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA
-Trick Room
-Scald
-Fire Blast / Psychic / Psyshock
-Slack Off

This set can wall many things, and destroy things like Skarmory in a 1v1 by burning with scald and (I think) Scald does around ~40% to standard Skarmory, you should be replacing Magnezone for a special sweeper so you shouldn't miss Slowking much. As for a replacement for Magnezone I'm not exactly sure what to replace it with ATM, but the first that comes to mind is Chandelure. Chandelure gives you a fire immunity, a counter to most Volcarona, and other resistances that Emboar gave you.

Set:
Chandelure @ Life Orb
Quiet 252 SpA/252 HP/4 SpD
-Shadow Ball
-Fire Blast
-Energy Ball
-Hidden Power [Rock] / [Fighting]

The Hidden Power type is for further coverage, Rock nails Volcarona extremely hard along with giving you decent coverage elsewhere, Fighting provides better coverage in general though. Although Chandelure does learn Trick Room, it doesn't have the bulk or typing to use it itself, but it can sweep pretty well in it IMO. Anyway I'll take another look at your team tomorrow, but thats all I've got for now.

Edit: Faster pokes when TR isn't up can be a problem if they can set up and they can wreak some havoc on your team, and you lack a general revenge killer. Maybe Scizor could replace Honchkrow in the final slot. Scizor provides much needed revenge killing and can still work outside of TR, inside TR he can do a lot as well, I suggest a LO/SD set, but a CB set can work too.

Sets:
Scizor @ Life Orb
Brave 252 Atk/252 HP/4 SpD
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite
-Superpower / Brick Break
-Swords Dance

Scizor @ Choice Band
Brave 252 Atk/252 HP/4 SpD
-Bullet Punch
-U-Turn
-Superpower / Brick Break
-Pursuit

GL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)