Trick Room RMT

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
Okay, so I've been experimenting alot lately with Trick Room. I have several of these type themes but I thought this one was most appropriate to post.
At a glance:

Bronzong @ Lum Berry
Levitate
Relaxed
252 HP/152 Att/8 Def/98 Sp Def
~Trick Room
~Gyro Ball
~Earthquake
~Explosion

This is my lead. It gets Trick Room started, then goes to work with its three offesnive moves. Earthquake is worth it in Trick Room because those pesky fire-types will be outsped and KOd by it. Explosion is an awesome move, but even more so in Trick Room. It's pretty much a guaranteed kill and it doesn't cost you a precious switch that could haave been a turn lost to Trick Room.

Solrock @ Focus Sash
Levitate
Brave
252 HP/252 Att/6 Def
~Trick Room
~Stone Edge
~Stealth Rock
~Explosion

This is my second Levitator/Trick Roomer. This is what I put in after Bronzong explodes most of the time. Trick Room and Explosion are in here for the obvious reasons. Stealth Rock is a good move to have around. I could always put Earthquake on this and Stealth Rock on Bronzong, but this seems to be working out fine. Stone Edge disrupts Gyarados and Salamence sweeps while they try to set up. There are probably better options than Solrock, but this is what I've settled on for the time being.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash (level one)
Own Tempo
Any
Any
~Trick Room
~Spore
~Endeavor
~Dragon Rage

This is my final and most deadly Trick Roomer. It doesn't explode, but it can certainly go through an entire unprepared team. For those of you who don't know how this works, you start off Trick Room and hang on with the Focus Sash (even better if they switch). You then use Spore to put them to sleep. Now the opponent has two choices, keep it in, or switch. Either way, whatever comes on the field gets brought down to near 1% of their health (as long as it's not a Ghost). Since Trick Room is activated and Smeargle is at level 1, it will always go first except when a priority attack is used. Dragon Rage swipes 40 HP from the target for the kill.

Rhyperior @ Life Orb
Solid Rock
Brave
252 HP/252 Att/ 6 Def
~Earthquake
~Stone Edge
~Megahorn
~Fire Punch

Having both Earthquake and Stone Edge as STAB moves is great offensively. They both do massive damage to anything not resisting it. In Trick Room, Megahorn is pretty much a novelty option, but does effectively deal with the likes of Celebi if they're foolish enough to think my Rhyperior doesn't carry Megahorn. Fire Punch may seem redundant along with the other moves, but it is my only way to deal with the likes of Bronzong. I'm pretty sure it OHKOs.

Clamperl @ Deepseatooth
Shell Armor
Quiet
252 HP/252 Sp Att/6 Def
~Surf
~Ice Beam
~HP Electric
~Brine

Clamperl helps the offset of Physical/Special on my team. Being my only Special Attacker, it plays quite a large part in my team. Surf is the main option here until the others seem more appropriate. HP Electric hurts opposing Water types, especially Gyarados. Ice Beam works well in conjunction with Water type offensively, but more importantly takes care of Dragons and Flyers that get hit harder by it than HP Electric. Brince becomes a much more powerful option than Surf once the opponent has lost 50% of their health and can even show Blissey who's boss.

Metagross @ Macho Brace
Clear Body
Brave
252 HP/252 Att/6 Def
~Gyro Ball
~Hammer Arm
~Thunderpunch
~Earthquake/Explosion

Some may ask why I use Macho Brace on this. The answer is simple. Using Choice Scarf on Pokemon during non-Trick Room battles can give the competitive edge, correct? Well that's just how Macho Brace works here, like a Choice Scarf. Not only this but it significantly raises the Base Power of Gyro Ball. Gyro Ball OHKOs every speedy Sweeper seen in OU, even the resists. Hammer Arm is a powerful move that allows Metagross to quickly deal with Tyranitar and the likes, but also lowers Metagross' Speed and raises Gyro Ball's power again. Thunderpunch is a necessity as it's my only way to deal with Gyarados (which is neat since Clear Body won't factor in Intimidation). Earthquake is a very good option to have and although it lacks the punch of Explosion, certainly works on more than a one time basis. With Explosion, there's just a boom and it's over.

Please give me suggestions on how to improve my team and whatnot. This team happens to be very successful but there's always room for improvement.​

Having recently come back to the world of pogemans I've decided to make a trick room team similar to yours.

Personally I'd replace Bronzong as the lead with Solrock because the former is much more sturdy. A beefy tank is almost always useful in the later rounds of a battle. Additionally, you hurt yourself less exploding Solrock second turn for a "free" switch-in.

Give Bronzong a Macho Brace to power up its Gyro Ball.

Rhyperior's move-pool is pretty silly; you've got the option to hit anything SE, Avalanche, Crunch, Dragon Rush, Hammer Arm, Thunderpunch, etc. I suggest you get rid of Fire Punch. The ONLY thing that Bronzong can do against Rhyperior is put it to sleep with Hypnosis. There's little need to OHKO it. Besides, Megahorn with 2-3 hit KO Bronzong for sure, and the spot that Fire Punch takes up could be filled my a move that gives more coverage. *cough* Avalanche *cough*

I think your Metagross' moveset could be better. With Leftovers and Rest/Sleep Talk/Hammer Arm/Gyro Ball, Metagross could stick around while powering up it's gyro ball. Choice Banded Bullet Punches clean up whatever is left in the late rounds of a battle without trick room. Meteor Mash hurts things good, and Ice Punch can handle any dragon.

Just some food for though.

A potential replacement for Rhyperior that I've had success with is a Banded Rampardos. It's pretty scary, especially with Head Smash and EQ. If the enemy team doesn't have any fliers, you can just EQ everything to death (it OHKO's Bronzong), and if there's fliers, you just spam Head Smash, which it pretty much destroys anything (even if it is resisted; it can almost always OHKO Skarmory with Stealth Rocks are out). It could also replace Metagross, who seems slightly redundant imho.

As for Solrock... I don't really like him. But if he's working for you, I guess that's fine. I've had great success with Uxie, with Trick Room, U-turn, Yawn, and T-bolt (You'd probably replace Yawn with Stealth Rocks). He's awesomely bulky and doesn't share the grass weakness (and Grass Knot does little damage to him).

These are just ideas :\

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
Rampardos is powerful, but he's equally frail. I'm afraid is frailness is even more so seen once Trick Room has ended. Uxie might do, but he is way too fast.

Fast U-turns allow for a switch out after the opponent attacks during Trick Room, allowing for frail sweepers to poke in without taking a hit.

I retract what I said about Rhyperior and Choice Bands. After reading this post I agree that Life Orb is the superior item for a trick room sweeper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)