XY Ubers Trick Room solROCKS, ORAS Update! (#1, 1590)

upload_2014-11-29_19-16-34.png

Hi there! It's Antacool, for a new Ubers RMT... for a new team? nope, just a simple ORAS update ^^

This team propulsed me to the top 1 Ubers ladder with a score of 1590. And of course is very successful at the moment, with its effectiveness against Hyper Offence!

Alright Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a team based on my old great XY Ubers Trick Room team (I invite you to see my old RMT if you didn't see it, link below)
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/trick-room-sol-rocks-peaked-1-1805.3518795/

I wanted to still use this original strategy in ORAS Ubers. You will ask me how, with the big presence of such big titans like Mega-Rayquaza, sweeping whole teams itself; and the very played Groudon-Primal with its amazing stalling, support and sweeping abilities?

Obviously, I will use slow sweepers and adapted Trick Room setters. The strategy is simple, setup Trick Room and let place the slow sweepers during the 5 turns to hit hard by outspeeding the common Speed invested Pokemon. Let's go to the Teambuilding.

Teambuilding :

Obviously, I'm going to use my fav Trick Room + Stealth Rock setter, a badass PU pokemon. You guessed it! The fascinating, awesome and brilliant Solrock!! (from PS players ^^)

My second Trick Room setter used to be suicide lead Lunatone. NO, no, I'm going to far! Seriously, I choose specially offensive Arceus-Ground. It's ability to pressure Groudon-Primal and its SR resistance makes him a very reliable TR user. Defog support is also very cool.

I ran TR Dialga before, but after several battles, I saw that Solrock is able to setup TR 2~3 times in a same match quite easily. So I don't even need a third user, but 4 sweepers who have a very nice core together, and also able to work pretty well outside of Trick Room.
I kept Mega-Mawile and GOD, the SD Ferrothorn. Seriously I love these two nuke Ironmon and their Extreme Speed resistance!

I finished my team by using the two new primal Forms. These fit in my team really well. Slow 90 base speed, 150 to 180 offensive Base Stats, Wheather changes... and a Grass-Fire-Water core completed with Ferro. P-Don is a Mixed Sweeper, and P-Kyogre a bulky Special Attacker.

That's it! Let's discover the details of the team below!

Team Presentation, leaded by the Rock Star

solROCKS (Solrock) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Reflect / Stone Edge / Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

A PU pokemon, who is the mainstay of my Ubers team. That's pretty ironic, but that's true!
I'm sure I'm not the only player to think about Solrock to check Mega-Rayquaza and Groudon-Primal. But the problem is that he cannot retaliate well offensively, and seems to be just passive in regular teams.
But in this team, he just have to take only 1 hit to setup Trick Room! This permit me for example to revenge kill very easily Mega-Rayquaza with one of the Ironmon (Ferro or Mawile), or put P-Kyogre on opposing P-Don.
Stealth Rock needs no explanation. Every good teams need this move to punish opposing switch-ins. And this is very easy to do on some of opposing pokemon like Groudon-Primal.
Reflect is an excellent filler for this no-suicide Solrock. It helps him to setup Trick Room and Stealth Rock easier on Physical mon, and helps my sweepers, especially Kyogre, taking moves such as Extreme Speed. But you can choose Stone Edge instead to do something against Ho-Oh, or Will-O-Wisp to punish some sweepers.
Once Solrock's HP is low, go BOOOM with Explosion and place any sweeper you want inside the deadly Solrock's Trick Room!

70 HP and 85 Def seem bad for you ? Here are some damage calcs on this beasty Sun:

252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solrock in Sun: 103-122 (29.9 - 35.4%) -- 26.4% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solrock: 123-145 (35.7 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solrock: 98-116 (28.4 - 33.7%) -- 0.3% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Groudon-Primal Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Solrock in Sun: 318-375 (92.4 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO (Worst case)

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Mega-Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solrock: 195-230 (56.6 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Mega-Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solrock: 286-337 (83.1 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Not bad for a PU!)
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Mega-Rayquaza Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solrock: 286-339 (83.1 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Rayquaza Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Solrock: 334-394 (97 - 114.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO (Worst case, and guaranteed OHKO with LO)

So beware of Mixed versions!

Fertile (Arceus-Ground) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Defog / Recover
- Ice Beam
- Judgment
- Trick Room

I replaced the Spooky plate by the Earth one. Arceus-Ground is a very bulky Trick Room setter who is also able to hit very hard thanks to its 372 Special Attack. It's a very polyvalent Pokemon! Use it to lead against Dialga, or force to switch Pdon to support the sweepers, who are checked by this Primal Pokemon when healthy. Arceus checks also the less common Zekrom. Stab Judgment and Ice Beam form a great coverage. The first one hits Steels, and Groudon-Primal for SE damage. The second one hits pretty hard Giratina, Yveltal, and prevents Arceus to be a setup fodder for God Mega-Rayquaza. With a bit of chance, you can sometimes freeze hax a Lugia attempting to Toxic Stall you.
As you can see, none of the Pokemon of the team is weak to Stealth Rock. But Defog is still useful to get rid of Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and opposing Screens. Instead of this move, you can use Recover as it offers to Arceus a better longevity. Because of Mega-Rayquaza, Perish Song strategy that I used will not work as great in ORAS unfortunately... It's still a cool option for occasional BP teams.

124 Speed is to outspeed base 90's + Timid/Jolly nature outside of Trick Room, so for RK Pdon mainly. I don't really need more Speed with Trick Room.

BROKEN (Mawile) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

My fav Mega is still here! That's exactly the same moveset in my old TR team. What to say? Mega-Mawile is a fearsome sweeper under Trick Room. He outspeeds a tons of Pokemon under Trick Room and destroys everything who doesn't resist his attacks. Plus, Huge Power make Mega-Rayquaza jealous of Mawile's Attack, and Steel type lets it resist the even more used Extreme Speed. Play Rough is his main Stab: bye bye Dragons, Dark types, Xerneas, frail sweepers... Stone Edge is mainly there for hitting the common Fire types in Ubers who resist Play Rough (and Iron Head that I don't run so). It surprises Ho-Oh, and it's also Mawile's best attack against Groudon-Primal, removing around 40% HP on an offensive one on the switch, which is not bad. However, beware of its 80% accuracy. A miss can cause a nasty KO back.
Sucker Punch is a very useful priority, especially when Trick Room is gone. But sometimes you have to predict correctly some 50/50 situations with this move. Finally use Swords Dance, to make Mega-Mawile even more threatening or compensate a Burn, and also making him frightening with Sucker Punch.

upload_2014-11-29_21-14-56.jpeg

GOD (Ferrothorn) @ Normal Gem / Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Explosion / Knock Off

GOD, the offensive Ferrothorn.
He was just a simple Specially Defensive Ferrothorn, bored of taking hits, taking Scalds, suffer from a bunch of attacks in OU and slowly gain HPs back with Leech Seed, to finally die on an HP Fire coming from another galaxy.
Now he strikes back, makes remind to everyone he got a very usable attack of 92 base stat (315 Attack), has access to Swords Dance, and got a deadly move called Gyro Ball, a move that speedy Ubers Pokemon fear as much as Geomancied Moonblast. He punishes all the water types ruining its life by Scald spams, thanks to the powerful Power Whip, like Kyogre and Arceus-Water. And if Ferrothorn knows that Ho-Oh and Groudon-Primal can wall and destroys it by Sacred Fire or Fire Punch, Ferrothorn prefers to be Kamikaze instead of being Barbecue. Normal Gem boosted Explosion can KO them after a Swords Dance. A teammate will revenge GOD's sacrifice, to hit even harder in the not finished Trick Room.
But we love GOD so much, and see him as being a suicide attacker could make us sad. You can run a Lum Berry instead to cure a Burn or an incoming Dark Void, and use Knock Off to remove items of annoying stallers.
This is GOD history. Don't forget He saved us from BP teams who cancer the XY ladder. These are not there anymore in ORAS. Thanks GOD, even if we have an OP Mega-Rayquaza this Gen.

(for more details, see GOD in my other RMT ;) )

DD Pdon (Groudon-Primal) @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature/Brave Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Precipice Blades
- Dragon Claw

Pun with DDP Don, but that's not a Double Dance one! Groudon-Primal is my redoubtable Trick Room Mixed Sweeper.
You have a Monster who hits as hard as Scarf Kyogre's Water Spout, with Stab Sun boosted Eruption! It's my favourite sweeper to place after a suicide (Solrock) or a replacement. So if you must keep one sweeper healthy, it's this one. Fire Blast replaces Eruption like Surf replaces Water Spout, use it when you lost more than 30% HP. PDon not only spams Fire, but he hits also very hard on the physical side, thanks to Stab Precipice Blades: Rockceus, Kyogre, Boosted Xerneas and other Groudon-Primal are the main targets. Dragon Claw is for coverage, and hits as always Mega-Rayquaza, Lati@s, and Giratina.
If you don't have a Balloon Earth Power Heatran or activated Multiscale Lugia, this monster will not have any problem to get at least one KO.
Choose Quiet or Brave as you prefer: Quiet maximizes Fire moves power, and offers a nice OHKO chance on Lugia after Rocks Damage. Brave let you hit harder on the physical side: you can also OHKO Kyogre-Primal with Precipice Blades after SR damage; and OHKO Lati@s with Dragon Claw.

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Sleep Talk

The last and not least Pokemon, Kyogre-Primal. It's an excellent Special Sweeper, and I don't miss really miss SpecsOgre, being somewhat unusable with the big presence of Groudon-Primal. 504 Special Attack, Rain boosted 110 BP Origin Pulse, powerful coverage moves named Thunder and Ice Beam, to hit Water types, and Dragons respectively. Blue Orb making him not locked but even more resistant on the Special side. 356 Spdef with 404HP. That's just awesome.
Everything is said. Except that Ice beam is your only move to hit Groudon-Primal if you see Him coming on the switch. And Sleep Talk, the last move, makes Kyogre a really nice Sleep absorber and let check Him Darkrai very well. Otherwise, Darkrai will render useless one Pokemon of the team but Mawile is still here to take hits anyway. If you don't fear Him, go for Hidden Power Ground to punish Pdon switch-ins.

Threatlist

- Groudon-Primal is very annoying because this pokemon can check and KO my 4 Sweepers, and waste my Trick Room turns. Even if I have Solrock and Arceus for Him, the difficulty of using this team is to manage with this Pokemon and predict him to go or stay. If he's KO, the Door to TR Sweeping will be wide opened!
- Lugia is a defensive threat if I didn't success to put Rocks. Magic Bouncer + Lugia core is pretty hard to deal with.
- Kyogre if he comes on Groudon-Primal.
- As always, Substitute Ho-Oh if you don't have Stone Edge on Solrock.

Replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-187122482
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-187150041
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-187279955
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-187553237 (against Xatu + Lugia team, gg Exiline :) )

Trick Room Solrocks! Leave a like for the Rock Star ;) and don't hesitate to give me comments and suggests for this unique team! I hope it will please you :)
Now LET'S ROCK!!

Attachments

Last edited:
Pastebin:

solROCKS (Solrock) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Reflect
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

Fertile (Arceus-Ground) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Ice Beam
- Judgment
- Trick Room

DD Pdon (Groudon-Primal) @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Precipice Blades
- Dragon Claw

GOD (Ferrothorn) @ Normal Gem
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Explosion

BROKEN (Mawile) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Sleep Talk

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggests Steeljackal, I will try it. You commented well.
I always liked using Trick Room Dialga, but at this point I didn't know what Pokemon to remove for Him. And you're right, if I opt for Dialga my team seems to be weak to Ekiller.
I forgot to tell that Ferrothorn not only sweep in TR, but also can finish Ekiller by taking anything at +2 outside of Trick Room (I can always hit Ekiller on the SD turn for great damage with every other pokemon, if Solrock so Reflect + TR). Honestly he's just good for that outside of TR, but he's also the best pokemon to KO opposing Xerneas, thanks to the 100% accurate Stab Gyro Ball.
Sure GeoXern is a threat. But during the game you must be just concentrate with the TR turns and not let him setting up on the last turn of Trick Room, but in TR Ferro assures you to remove this Pokemon easily (Mawile and Pdon can miss, the others hit on special side). In XY it was a very needed member for this reason.
And Arceus-Ground can survive +2 Moonblast at full HP, and setup TR.

Anyway, Arceus-Ghost + Dialga look fine (Pretty much my old team without Ferro), and the best arg to use them is imo for Mixed Mega-Rayquaza who is probably one of the biggest threat of my team.

PS: My RMTs are serious and I make them only when the team work well. And if I create original teams instead of regular ones with Pdons-MegaRay cores, it's just to bring new ideas and not making the game too boring and repetitive. I know my teams are not perfect, but I can challenge you to create a team WITHOUT Mega-Rayquaza making you obtain the top ladder. And to finish, I still don't take the game seriously because it's in a part due to chance (Paralyzes, crits, etc..)

Last edited:

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just saying, Ferrothorn has Explosion, so you should probably replace Selfdestruct with that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)