Triple Up - Royal

Not much to say here, my post count is low but tbh I'm pretty good. I was really active on Serebii (laugh it up, I know) which really wasn't as bad as it was perceived to be (It's a hellhole now though). Then, I sorta quit, and now I'm on Smogon. And I'm sorry if it's a little wordy, I just operate that way.

For instances where multiple move selections are written, Bold = Primary Option, and the one I have it set to atm

Basically, this team is three dragons and three steels. Why? Because Dragons already have sick offense, and the amount of things that can counter them is very little. However, they are fragile and they have high-risk, high reward moves (Outrage especially, Draco Meteor too) so if a counter shows up at the wrong time, it's common to find yourself stuck. By tripling up on dragons, even if one fails and hits a wall, that wall will be significantly weakened, meaning the other dragons can sweep much more easily.

The three steels are there to pretty much protect myself against my own strategy. The steels also form the defensive backbone of this pretty much entirely offensive team. Instead of focusing on taking threats down with 100% effective counters, I focused on having 2 or more semi-effective counters, allowing me to adjust my strategy to the situation. Plurality and redundancy are by far the most effective defense tools, more so than having a single dedicated stopper.

Done with the overall view, on to the nuts and bolts:

Lead Kingdra - Neutralize/Scout

Kingdra @Leftovers
Adamant
200 HP/252 Atk/56 Spe
~Mimic
~Yawn
~Dragon Dance/Rain Dance/Draco Meteor
~Outrage/Waterfall

Kingdra is a cool lead, and defensively, it functions similarly to LeadPert. Offensively, however, it functions like LeadGyara. Mimic is a fun move, and while it's pretty inefficient, it works well against leads that really can't do much to Kingdra (Metagross, Swampert, etc.) Basically, if I'm faster, I Yawn as they SR. I then use Mimic, causing me to learn SR as they attack, which will never kill me (Unless Metagross explodes... then I'm screwed, although they now have one less Steel type). If I expect a switch, however, I use Dragon Dance. It really suprises me how often people leave their lead in to get slept. I then manipulate Yawn and Dragon Dance, trying to keep Kingdra alive, till I'm up against a non-steel type, and then I just Outrage. I can usually get a glimpse at exactly what my opponent is packing to counter Dragon types, and I sometimes get to do heavy damage to some poor sap as well. On a side note, Mimic works against Trickers too, allowing me to play some games with unwitting Jirachi. A fun lead, but it has a lot on its plate and a limited movepool, meaning it doesn't always get its job done. Its ability to se up SR via Mimic is also questionable at best. 56 Spe beats max Spe base 100's after a DD, meaning some odd permutation of Salamence or Zapdos is prevented from beating me... not that important, but useful in pinch situations. Rain Dance could work too, and it would assist Empoleon greatly, especially since Empoleon gets a near free switch in against Kingdra's counters. Then I would not only scout Steels, but have a way to kill them as well. Hmmm... Opinions?

Assassin Jirachi - Revenge/Counter the whole fucking metagame

Jirachi @Choice Scarf
Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
~Iron Head
~Fire Punch
~Ice Punch
~Thunder Punch

Jirachi is an incredibly dynamic pokemon, as it can switch in to a lot of things, put up a reasonable defense, and hit back with an appropriate move. More often than not, this move is Iron Head, which is absolutely broken with a Choice Scarf. Even some water types like Starmie succumb easily to it. Combine this with the elemental punches (For 4x effective situations) and you've got a hell revenge killer and pinch counter. Then add in the fact that Jirachi is a Steel type, meaning it resists some of the most deadly attacks in the metagame: Bullet Punch, Outrage, Draco Meteor, and to a lesser extent Stone Edge I guess. It can also kill all the things that use these moves, meaning it had ample opportunity to switch in and knock things out. People also don't expect a Scarf Jirachi, so they're more likely to leave their Salamence, Scizor, Gyarados, Tyranitar, etc. in against me, netting me tons of suprise kills. A ground type move would be welcome, to kill Infernape and Heatran, but there isn't room for it and the rest of my team has them covered very well (Latias, Kingdra, Empoleon, Salamence...) I originally had only 180 Spe and extra HP, to beat +1 +nature 176 Spe Salamence, but I decided that tying with every possible Salamence is more important than some very minor and largely meaningless padding.

Mixmence - Stall break, midgame domination

Salamence @Life Orb
Hasty/Naive
84 Atk/252 Spe/172 SpA
~Outrage
~Fire Blast
~Earthquake
~Draco Meteor

Salamence was originally my main sweeper, but now he's more of a game breaker than a clean finisher. That's more the intention of this set anyway, because without a Spe boost, it's just too slow to sweep multiple pokemon at once. I picked a +Spe nature and max EV's because in my eyes, outspeeding everything possible is more valuable than hitting a bit harder. This is because Salamence is a HUGE threat, and a lot of people specifically EV to beat it. By simply maxing Spe, the only way I can be outsped by something is if it has a higher base Spe than mine. This takes guessing out of the question, meaning I don't have to worry if this Lucario is packing Jolly and Ice Punch. I'm certain I beat it. The drop in power is noticeable, but in many cases irrelevant, because it takes the same number of hits to KO something as it does with the power boost. I picked Hasty because Ice Beams don't need any extra help to KO me, but i think Naive may be better, because although the 1-2HKO from a Vaporeon or w/e is inevitable, Salamence has the ability to switch in on physical threats, specifically slow fighting types, due to intimidate. Opinions on nature are welcomed. The Atk and SpA ev's are taken from the Smogon page >.>; because metalkid doesn't work properly on my new mac so I couldn't do calcs. Anyone have a good calculator that's Mac friendly?

CM Latias - Sweeping and support

Latias @Leftovers
Timid
252 Spe/76 HP/180 SpA
~Calm Mind
~Dragon Pulse
~Surf
~Wish

Pretty standard again, but it still warrants explanation. Latias has two major ways of being powerful: Choice Specs, and Calm Mind. Any other set is either underpowered or using a Choice Scarf, which is a totally different discussion. I chose Calm Mind, because I didn't need another Choicer, and the Wish support is fantastic. Dragon Pulse + Surf is good coverage, and although it leaves Empoleon as a 100% solid counter, it's the only two-move combo that lets Latias sweep and still counter Infernape and Heatran. Empoleon should be severely injured by Salamence or Kingdra by this point anyway. Wish is there to heal my Steel types, which again, are the defensive backbone of the team. A great thing about Latias and Steel types is that they cover each other's weaknesses perfectly. While this isn't a novel or ingenious idea, it's effective and makes delivering Wish much easier. This keeps my steels running, because although their type is defensively astounding, their actual defensive stats are only marginal. The EV's let me outspeed all Napes, and tie with all Gengar. 76 HP is a lefties number, and the rest went in SpA. Since getting CM's up is easy in most circumstances, the small drop in power is unsubstantial.

CB Lucario - Powerhouse, specific checker

Lucario @Choice Band
Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
~Blaze Kick
~Close Combat
~Crunch
~Ice Punch

I wrestled a lot over this set, and this particular party spot has been switched around between a Forretress, CB Scizor, and a Bronzong multiple times. It's unorthodox, fairly limited, and seemingly ineffective compared to other sets (And CB Scizor) but it's actually proven itself, despite my skepticism. Basically, this thing counters SD Luke, CB Scizor, and SD Scizor by switching in on resisted moves and outspeeding. It also takes down Snorlax, Blissey, Tyranitar, and Skarmory with suprising efficiency. Salamence also does that same job, but Salamence is more fragile and takes much greater SR damage. I would use CB Scizor, but then my team has somewhat of a Lucario weakness, because my only hope against an SD'd Luke is to take it out with Jirachi, who can't easily 1HKO, and would have to rely on multiple flinches from Iron Head. I sorely miss the priority, but Jirachi can do a lot of what CB Scizor can. Oh well. Latias adds a lot to Lucario's abilities as a counter-er, ensuring he stays in the game longer and backing him up on a lot of his shortcomings. Without Jirachi and Latias' support, I think this set would be absolute trash.

Sub Sweep Empoleon - The REAL sweeper/defensive core

Empoleon @Petaya Berry
Modest
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
~Substitute
~Agility
~Surf
~Grass Knot

It's funny how on a team with 3 dragons, the most fearsome beasts in the game, a penguin ends up being the most effective sweeper... while simultaneously being a huge part of my defense. This pokemon is a beast, and while this set is standard to an extreme degree, it still has the ability to confound and frustrate people. Let's face it, this thing is a bitch to try and counter. And at the same time, it's a bitch at countering. Combined with Wish, Empoleon can keep ticking till it's time for him to go off with ease. EV's are basic, as SpA is necessary, Spe is useful, and the suggested 12 HP EV's are useless bullshit <.<; I picked Grass Knot because my team basically devours opposing dragons already, while water types are quite bothersome.

Known Issues:

-Machamp: Salamence and Latias already have trouble taking his hits, combined with the fact that the sub set screws both of them over. Oh, and don't forget confusion....

-Gengar: Jirachi is my best counter, and a neutral Shadow Ball still hurts. Empoleon has some luck, but Tbolt and Focus Blast seal its fate. *Bullet Punch on Lucario could fix this, but every move is currently necessary.

-Lack of SR/Spikes/Anything: I originally had Forretress, but it ruined the tempo and power of the team. Kingdra is o.k., but Mimic is still a gimic when you get down to it.

-Wish only works on steels: Latias has an easy time getting Wish to Steel types, because of their complementary weaknesses. However, getting them to Dragons is much harder. When an Ice/Dragon move is heading at my Latias, I can't switch to either of my Dragons.

-Entry Hazards: My defense is resistance-based, meaning entry hazards can ruin a lot of what I try to accomplish by switching. Starmie was on the team at some point, but not anymore :/

That's about it, it's pretty late so mistakes might have been made. Just point them out and I'll fix it.

*Threat List Coming Soon*

Thanks for reading, sorry it's so long D:

For known Issues, you haven't covered Mamoswine.

With Ice > Dragon and Ground > Steel, he'll be a big problem.

And, so will a DDmence

DDmence Outrage > Kingdra
DDmence Outrage > DDmence
DDmence Outrage > Latias
DDmence EQ > Lucario
DDmence EQ > Empoleon
Ddmence EQ > Jirachi

To avoid this, you'll need to be able to out run Salamence, with Kingdra, Lucario, Latias and Jirachi. Otherwise he'll tear your team up. Kingdra he'll destroy, Lucario has a chance, Latias doesn't, and Jirachi does.

Make sure to deal with him ASAP.

Also, you have no real counter on Gengar. I suggest you re-think Jirachi's move-set.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid

Calm Mind
Psychic
Grass Knot
HP Fire / Thunderbolt.

That set is better.

With Salamence, why not re-think the Nature to be Adamannt or Jolly? (Attack and Speed respectivly). This will increase your sweeping ability.

Jirachi outspeeds DD Mence, and can switch in on DD and Outrage. It also 1HKO's, so not a problem. Jirachi also switches in on Gengar, although it takes some damage, and easily outspeeds and beats with Iron Head.

Your Jirachi set loses to both Salamence and Gengar, because w/o the Choice Scarf, Jirachi isn't fast enough to kill either of them. Sorry :/

Also, let's say I switch in Latias or Kingdra to a DD Mence. Yes, they will die, but that's a sure fire way to get the Mence trapped in Outrage, meaning Lucario or Jirachi can take it out easily. So if Kingdra or Latias is already at low health, and I can afford to make the sacrifice (Really,I'm just trading a Dragon for a Dragon) I can also counter it that way.

Mamo is a problem, but its low speed makes it easy to take out. First off, it doesn't have very many good opportunities to switch in besides Jirachi's Thunder or Ice Punch. Secondly, if it switches in on a steel, I can go to Latias to absorb the EQ, then back to Jirachi to take the Ice Shard. Then I 1HKO w/ Iron Head :) If it switches in on a Dragon, even easier. Just go straight to Jirachi and kill. And I'm pretty sure Lucario outspeeds it too, meaning either of them can kill it easily if they can switch in on an Ice Shard.

And no, I'm not using Adamant or Jolly. Those reduce SpA, and I'm using special attacks as well. >.<

The SPrinkLer

Banned deucer.
Well, Scizor performs Lucario's roles a helluva lot better, and patches up your somewhat Salamence weakness, because it can set up on Lucario, and might outspeed Jirachi if it's Jolly. Try a CBScizor over Lucario, because it counters Gengar, and revenges a lot of the metagame, just like Jirachi. I hope this helps, and good luck with the team!

Scarf Jirachi does not stop jolly DD Salamence. If you lose the speed tie you lose the game. I've won games like that before. And jolly nature on DD Salamence is a smart move too.

Scizor doesn't set up on Lucario at all. Lucario takes Scizor out with Close Combat. That's the entire reason I have Lucario and not Scizor :/

Jolly Salamence is rare, and isn't even on the list of most used natures for it. However, Naive Salamence is the most used form. Max Spe is also very common on Salamence. However, Dragon Dance is used on less than half of all Salamence, leading me to believe that MixMence is the new dominant form. Jirachi does counter this, because it commonly used Draco Meteor first. Yes, it requires prediction to dance around, but tbh I'm pretty good at that. But Mixmence's lead over DD Mence appears to be very slim.

That makes Scizor seem like a much more appealing option, but then I'm fairly Lucario weak.

Then it hit me: Salamence is used much more than Lucario anyway. Duh.

So I'm testing CB Scizor this afternoon, hopefully I'll run into a Lucario and I can see how I do against it. I think CBScizor is gonna be an addition though, because that set is great and is one of my favorite.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi, this is a pretty cool team, but there are a few changes I would make. First of all, I suggest using a different lead besides Kingdra. While the current Kingdra set that you are using is no doubt original, it seems like a bit of a gimmick and is automatically shut down by any faster lead carrying Taunt. What I suggest you do is instead opting for a Gliscor lead. Gliscor allows you to use a different Pokemon in Choice Band Lucario's spot, a Pokemon who is on your team to solely counter SD Luke. Gliscor is also an effecttive lead, Taunting slower leads to prevent them from laying down Stealth Rock / Spikes / whatever. Also, he has a good support movepool, can take physical hits marvelously well, and can lay down his own CONSISTENT Stealth Rock. Here is the set that I suggest you use:

Gliscor @ Yache Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Hp / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly nature (+Speed, -Special Attack)
~ Earthquake
~ Taunt
~ Stealth Rock
~ Roost / U-Turn

This Gliscor is a good lead for your team, providing you with a consistent check to Swords Dance Lucario as well as a way to get up reliable Stealth Rock. The EVs make Gliscor very bulky, able to take physical hits easily. Now, 216 Spe EVs and a Jolly nature allows Gliscor to outspeed all forms of Lucario (including Jolly 252 SD Luke), and OHKO with Earthquake no matter what (unless your opponent is fool enough to have Lucario hold Shuca Berry). Sand Veil is the better ability here, as it allows you to take advantage of lead Hippowdon and Tyranitar. Yache Berry is the preffered item to allow you to survive Ice Shard from Mamoswine leads and Ice Beam from Swampert leads. On the moveset, Earthquake is an important move for 2HKOing lead Heatran, 2HKOing lead Empoleon, and 2HKOing lead Jirachi...it also always OHKOes Lucario. Taunt is a good move for stopping slower leads such as Metagross and Swampert from laying down their entry hazards, which will allow Salamence to switch in more easily and not fear Stealth Rock damage. Stealth Rock itself is also important on Gliscor, as it makes the opponent think twice about switching, as well as turning many 2HKOes into OHKOes for Empoleon's sweep. Now, in the final slot, you can either use Roost or U-Turn; Roost is a good choice for recovery, but U-Turn allows you to scout for switches on your opponent.

I would suggest trying to find a place for Toxic Spikes somewhere on this team. I don't want to take off more than one Pokemon as it would ruin the synergy of the team somewhat, but Empoleon loves Toxic Spikes to be down when it goes for a sweep. For this reason, I would suggest trying to find a home for Tentacruel on the team. Tentacruel can not only use Toxic Spikes, but can also Rapid Spin, allowing you to get past any entry hazards the opponent might have gotten up. Entry hazards seem to take a huge toll on this team, and Tentacruel could patch this weakness up nicely. However, I'm not quite sure as to where to fit him in on the team without ruining the team synergy; if you do manage to squeeze him in somewhere, then run Ice Beam as opposed to Grass Knot on Empoleon; you can kill dragons with ease.

If you do decide to use lead Gliscor, then I would change Choice Band Lucario to Adamant Swords Dance Lucario with this set:

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant nature (+Attack, -Special Attack)
~ Swords Dance
~ Close Combat
~ Extremespeed
~ Stone Edge

I'm not going to go too in-depth here, as I'm sure that you are fully aware of how this thing works. The main reason I suggest it as Latias seems like easy Pursuit bait for CB Scizor, and Lucario could easily take advantage of that. Anyway, I hope I helped you out, and good luck! =)

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Cool team, dragons and steels is definitely a threat. The way I see it, your team absolutely needs a reliable Stealth Rock user, other than Kingdra. I admit, the set is cool but it doesn't fit well, you know what I mean? A simply way to fix this without changing the entire team is making a quick swap with Jirachi and Kingdra. Keep the same thing for Jirachi, who acts as a early Stealth Rock starter, and is a good mid/late-game check for several pokes. Stealth Rock / Iron Head / ThunderPunch / Fire Punch. Ice Punch is dismissed because you can always flinch hax Salamence, either way, it will kill it with Stealth Rock down. Fire Punch stays for the sole purpose of checking Lucario (predicted Extremespeed of course!). For Kingdra, its open for a new set at the moment. I think Dragon Dance fits the bill, as it is defenitely forgotten as a threat. Sub / DD / Waterfall / Outrage is a good set which causes trouble and dents unpreapred teams. It fits well because with everything dented, Salamence or Empoleon is up for cleaning up lateame. I'd go for Lum Berry on Kingdra to ensure you can erase the confusion. Overall, Kingdra will attract bulky waters for the most part and they get severely injured from a +1 Outrage, allowing your members such as Empoleon and Salamence (who normally have troubles with them) take care of them lategame.

It was quite wise going for a more defensive Latias to tak on Jolteon (a normal threat to teams like this). I thinking shifting your EVs to 128 HP / 128 SpA / 252 Spe allows you to balance your power and ability to take hits from Jolteon, Heatran, etc. With that being said, I think you can try out Recover over Wish for the sole purpose of recovering on the initial turn instead of waiting 2 turns. I don't even think you have time to bring in other members, keep the pace fast.

As for other options, I'd look for SD Lucario because it works excellent with MixMence, as well as Latias. MixMence really helps destroy common physical walls such as Hippowdon and Gliscor planning to wall an Earthquake or Outrage. Draco Meteor nails their HP big time, allowing Lucario to come in later and getting the OHKO on them when their health is low. Latias attracts Pursuit, giving Lucario an easy time to set up SD!! SD is just more flexible, and provides more power. I'd shift over Ice Beam over Knot just for tryouts to see how it fares for you. Since Kingdra is normally attracting bulky waters, you no longer need Knot because Latias will be a bigger concern. overall gl.

Hmm Lead Gliscor seems cool, but I used to only use passive defensive leads in the past, and I don't feel like going back. Kingdra is Taunt and Trick weak, it's true, but in instances of Trick, I switch to my own Jirachi, and have some fun negating their strategy. In cases of Taunt, depending on the poke, I go to an appropriate counter. Empoleon likes Lead Elfs, Jirachi likes lead dactyls (And tbh, Jirachi likes lead elfs too), and most common leads are beaten by some one here or there. If I can get Empoleon in while a Lead Pert SR's, I can force/take it out, and maybe even set up a sweep from the very start.

The lead game isn't challenging, and I really like how Kingdra gets my offense going from the very start, by either scouting out their primary Dragon counters, going for a mini sweep itself, or just getting out of there and waiting till later.

I don't see how Lucario can take advantage of Latias being Pursuit bait at all :/ I would have to switch out to get to take advantage of Luke's 4x resistance, wouldn't I? And that's the whole point of Pursuit?

however, your point about Kingdra being mediocre as a lead is completely valid. That's pretty true, tbh. but, I play around it, and Kingdra is an important part of getting my team to work. I don't like to bring Salamence in until Kingdra has drawn out a counter, because otherwise I could easily lose my Mence due to unforeseen circumstances. Latias also benefits from this.

I am rethinking the lead though, and Gliscor is on the list.

Threat list coming later today, btw. ^-^ thanks so far everyone.

If there's anthing I haven't addressed yet, please point it out to me

EDIT: Me and franky simultaneosly posted. Gimme a sec

I'm fine w/ Latias's EV's, as it plays more on resistances than actual defensive stats. And Wish is essential to keeping my Jirachi, Lucario, and Empoleon in the game, even though it is slow and occasionally counter-productive.

I guess that Jirachi could work, but Ground and Fire moves are extremely common on leads, and if I were to select SR w/ a choice scarf, and they happened to attack (Expecting a Trick, probably) I would get severely damaged.

SD Luke is a much more potent offensive threat, but it doesn't check/counter the things I need it to. I'd be more powerful offensively, but much weaker defensively, against some pretty common pokes.

I have Knot because I don't have many good switch ins to Water types with Ice moves :/ so my main plan is to work around them till it's time for Empoleon to sweep. Then I can breeze thru them. That's not a good strategy, and I'm aware of that (; ;) but I don't need ice Beam because I have many ways of eliminating dragons already.

As of now, the things I'm rethinking are:

-My lead

-Lucario vs. Scizor vs. ???

-Entry Hazards

Threat list and answers coming soon, definently today, maybe not till later tho

Thanks a bunch everyone for raising questions and concerns, w/o them I'd be stuck ^^

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well my point on Swords Dance lucario was that while Latias is trapped by CB Scizor switchins, Lucario can come in after Latias is killed and use the turn where Scizor is forced to switch to get a virtually free Swords Dance. Its not exactly an ideal strategy, but if Latias is going to be easily Pursuited, then it might as well allow another member to get a boost off her death. As franky and I both pointed out, I really would go for Swords Dance Lucario...he fits in marvelously with your team and I guartentee you would be winning more matches.

The SPrinkLer

Banned deucer.
Scizor doesn't set up on Lucario at all. Lucario takes Scizor out with Close Combat. That's the entire reason I have Lucario and not Scizor :/

Jolly Salamence is rare, and isn't even on the list of most used natures for it. However, Naive Salamence is the most used form. Max Spe is also very common on Salamence. However, Dragon Dance is used on less than half of all Salamence, leading me to believe that MixMence is the new dominant form. Jirachi does counter this, because it commonly used Draco Meteor first. Yes, it requires prediction to dance around, but tbh I'm pretty good at that. But Mixmence's lead over DD Mence appears to be very slim.

That makes Scizor seem like a much more appealing option, but then I'm fairly Lucario weak.

Then it hit me: Salamence is used much more than Lucario anyway. Duh.

So I'm testing CB Scizor this afternoon, hopefully I'll run into a Lucario and I can see how I do against it. I think CBScizor is gonna be an addition though, because that set is great and is one of my favorite.
Grammatically, it was reffering to Salamence that sets up on Lucario, and my intention as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)