(Triples) Sunny Team

Hi, a beginner here and this is probably my 2nd post. I tried creating a sunny team, and followed some instructions from the BW OU Sunny Team. I play triple battle and this is my team.

#1 Tangrowth @ Life Orb
Chlorophyl - Adamant
- Power Whip
- Rock Slide
- Sleep Powder
- Protect
Tangrowth replacing Sawsbuck for more power, Power Whip will ensure OHKO on some Water, Ground, and Rock pokemon. Rock Slide is for killing those fires, if it manages to survive a fire attack

#2 Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Blaze - Timid Nature
- Heat Wave (Kill all)
- Air Slash (Kill all Fire based)
- Solar Beam (Kill water, ground and rock)
- Focus Blast (Kill those normal pokemon that usually equipped with Rock Slide)
This is the main star of the team, with Drought as its Mega ability it can be activated on later stage. Its Blaze only because I cannot find a Solar Power Charmander yet

#3 Hitmontop @ Blackbelt
Technician - Docile Nature (got trough trade, have not got the chance to rebreed)
- Rolling Kick
- Wide Guard (To protect from those Rock Slide and Dazzling Gleam)
- Fake Out
- Helping Hand (Helping Charizard to win, no matter what)

#4 Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Chlorophyl - Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb (Kill all grass)
- Sleep Powder (To pacify those who are too powerful to kill)
- Sunny Day (Backup if we have not kill in 5 turns)
- Solar Beam (Kill all waters, ground and rock, basically all who can kill fire pokemon)
This behemoth will kill and will show up IF Sawsbuck/Tangrowth is dead OR Charizard is dead AND there are pokemons that can do Rock Slide alive and fighting, it will put the sun up if there is another weather user.

#5 Rotom-H @ Zap Plate (Will switch to White Herb once I can afford it)
Levitate - Modest Nature
- Discharge
- Overheat
- Thunder Wave
- Protect
Its replacing TalonFlame and its here to cover Garchomp 's weakness of ice and Hitmontop's weakness of Flying type. Overheat will melt those ice and steel, but discharge is the main killing move. It has a weakness of Water and Rock and Protect should do well protecting it from them especially when the sun is not up.

#6 Garchomp @ Assault Vest
Rough Skin - Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Claw
- Tyrantrum
It is here to replace Tyrantrum, and its role is killing the dragons and those fire users.

Benched:
#1 Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Chlorophyl - Jolly Nature
- Horn Leech (Physical Giga Drain)
- Double Edge (For STAB and kill all that resists fighting and grass)
- Jump Kick
- Protect (To buy some time until Clawitzer heals)

Even though I choose Sawsbuck as #1 its mainly for numbering, its positioned on left and is the 1st lineup. Sawsbuck is a physical sweeper, and is will sweep all Waters, Rocks, and grounds.

#3 Clawitzer @ Leftovers
Mega Launcher - Modest Nature
- Heal Pulse (Nurse)
- Dark Pulse (For flinch and abusing those psychic and ghost)
- Dragon Pulse (Kill Dragons and all who resists other types)
- Aura Sphere(Kill those normal pokemon that usually equipped with Rock Slide)
Clawitzer is the replacement for Blastoise, I choose not to use a spinner and as a water type it resists fire and ice by default as if its a Thick Fat pokemon. Its equipped with all puls and aura to abuse its ability. Sadly I cannot activate Mega Blastoise in conjunction with Mega Charizard as Mega Blastoise has a better defense than Clawitzer, but Clawitzer can heal

#3 Blastoise @ Leftovers
Torrent - Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Dragon Tail
- Dark Pulse (instead of scald because dark pulse can make target flinch and have far range)
- Toxic

#4 Lilligant @FocusBand
Chlorophyl - Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Hidden Power Ice

#5 Delphox Charcoal
Magician - Rash Nature
- Solar Beam
- Sunny Day
- Heat Wave
- Psychic

#5 Volcarona @ Charcoal
Flame Body - Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic
- Protect
Volcarona replaces Delphox, and the role continue as Charizard's replacement. Its Sp Attack is high, so I tried using it. Psychic is there to kill all those wide guard users, protect is to wait while its team mate kills the Rock Slide user.

#5 Talonflame @ Leftovers
Gale Wings - Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz (What's a fire pokemon do without any fire moves and under the sun ?)
- Brave Bird (As usual, to kill those fighting machine with Wide Guard)
- Tailwind (Without sun, this wind will help the speed)
- Roost (Losing 50% HP due to stealth rock ? no problem, one roost and its ok)

#6 Snorlax @Quick Claw
Thick Fat - Docile Nature
- Giga Impact
- Yawn
- Wild Charge
- Brick Break

#6 Tyrantrum @ Assault Vest
Strong Jaw - Jolly Nature
- Fire Fang
- Ice Fang
- Poison Fang
- Rock Slide
Another physical sweeper replacing Snorlax, Snorlax is good but can be better, strong jaw and elemental fangs will bite all those pokemon, and will kill dragons and fairies
The strategy is drought on 1st turn unless opposition has 2 fire pokemon at stage which the team will wipe all fire 1st, then after the sun up, unless there are many water pokemons, heat wave will always launch and grass moves will wipe all who resists fire, Clawitzer will cannon all which cannot be OHKO. Venusaur is a backup for Sawsbuck, Volcarona backs up Charizard and Tyrantrum backs up Clawitzer.

The idea of choosing Sawsbuck instead of Lilligant is because Clawitzer is taking over blastoise and performs as Special Sweeper and Utility, so I switched to Sawsbuck for physical sweeper. Volcarona is superior to Delphox, and Tyrantrum with its Strong Jaw means 50% boost to all elemental fangs which is as strong as STAB moves. Poison Fang will kill all Grass and Fairy which threatens Dragon, Ice Fang to kill Dragon such as Altaria and Haxorus, Fire Fang can use Sunny Day effect for extra power and Rock Slide can kill all Fire pokemon.

Last edited:
I don't play triples, but I will give some feedback anyway. I don't think there will be many opportunities for clawitzer to set up heal pulse, and since the sun is up, clawitzer's STAB is next to useless. While mega launcher helps, if you have a water type simply to resist fire and ice, you have two fire types to do that for you anyway. May I suggest Special Lucario/Alakazam, either with Choice Specs. These Pokemon can learn similar moves to clawitzer, and their STAB's won't be affected by the sun. This means you can give your Volcorona leftovers, which will ultimately be better than charcoal.

That is all

hey man, don't listen to these guys. especially:

Triple is not a meta game. There is no and probably never will be triples. This is for competitive teams only (OU, UU, Doubles, and Ubers at the moment) and your team does not fall into one of those categories.
this is what people said about doubles. if people like it, they'll play it, but they have to be exposed to it first. the only reason doubles caught on is because there's official tournaments that only support doubles, and even then it took years for smogon to even consider supporting their own doubles meta. don't write it off just because you don't play it. (this post actually made me p. mad at you, js)

andnej triples is an incredibly fun meta, and i would play it more if i wasn't so busy with VGC and smogdubz. unfortunately, showdown doesn't support triples because there isn't much demand for it, so people tend to write it off. i'd love to see it get more love though, but on to the topic at hand. i've used a sun team in triples last gen, and it was pretty much undefeated on random wifi except against trick room teams and opposing sun.

before i go on though, i'm gonna comment on each of your sets before i make suggestions. you didn't add any EV spreads, so i'll assume they're all tailored to level 50 and are basic 252/252 spreads.

#1 Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Chlorophyl - Jolly Nature
- Horn Leech
- Double Edge
- Jump Kick
- Protect

this looks pretty good. i like how you acknowledge protect's usefulness here, but i'm confused as to why you didn't put it on more pokemon.

#2 Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Solar Power - Modest Nature
244 SpA / 12 SDef / 252 Spe
- Heat Wave (Kill all BARN ALL)
- Solarbeam
- Overheat
- Protect

i changed a few things here. i added protect because of zard's crippling rock weakness, which mostly comes from pokemon faster than it (garchomp) or stuff that's generally threatening like ttar. it's pretty much a staple on all pokemon outside of singles really. if you want more justification for protect, look around in the doubles subforum because a lot of what i was gonna say here has already been said. anyway, i removed focus blast because you really shouldnt be staying in on ttar or even trying to attack it with zard becuase you know it's a rock type that can change your weather and you already have 2 grass types that can murderize it. overheat is just for one huge attack that basically ohko's anything not specially bulky in the sun and even does tons of damage to stuff that resists it. the ev spread i gave you allows zard to live rotom-a's unboosted thunderbolt 100% of the time :)

#3 Clawitzer @ Leftovers
Mega Launcher - Modest Nature
- Heal Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Aura Sphere

clauncher is a pretty weird pokemon to be putting on a sun team. to my knowledge, it's better off without trying to play celric and instead going the tanky route with assault vest, but i have literally never used it before so what do i know.

#4 Venusaur @ Venusarite
Chlorophyl - Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect
- Giga Drain

venu's a pretty solid mon, but if i were to use venu over lilligant (the star of the show on my team), i would use it as a super bulky tank that checks my main problems with rain+trick room and sand+trick room teams. often on these teams, they rely on their trick room setter to even touch venu and amoonguss can't do anything to it because of how powders work now. meanwhile, venu is safely tucked away in one corner while putting everything to sleep and gaining health back while attacking. if you want to be fully offensive with venu, just use lilligant (i'll give you a set to use later) because venu can't grab as many KO's as lilligant can and has less utility after everything's asleep.

#5 Volcarona @ Focus Sash
Flame Body - Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance / Rage Powder
- Protect

volc's a pretty good pokemon, but i don't know if i'd be comfortable with so many rock weaknesses. psychic should probably be replaced with either quiver dance to make it more deadly or rage powder to give it a more supportive role. focus sash should help alleviate your rock weakness.

#6 Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
Strong Jaw - Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

if i were to run tyrantrum, i would try to run it like a tyranitar without sand stream. you should reach the same levels of power and speed as scarftar with an adamant nature, except you gain an ice weakness and you won't die in one hit from a fighting move.

anyway, your team looks like it has a bunch of redundancies. you have two chlorophyll mons, two fire-types that do essentially the same thing (and more importantly have the exact same checks and counters), and two random pokemon that are just... there. i'm going to make some extreme changes with this next section, so if you don't want to rebreed or trade for the actual pokemon and you're happy with the above, by all means take it and run with it.

first off, i would suggest replacing clawitzer with this:

Hitmontop @ Black Belt / Lum Berry / some other filler
Intimidate - Adamant nature
252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Speed
- Close Combat
- Fake Out / Helping Hand
- Wide Guard
- Feint / Helping Hand

This would do a much better job of keeping your team alive. In fact, unlike clawitzer, it prevents unboosted garchomp's rock slide from KOing charizard just from the intimidate attack drop without using wide guard. wide guard is here for rock slide and another reason i'll get to in a minute, but remember to watch out for stone edge while you spam it (and you can indeed spam it since it doesn't fail in succession like Protect). Fake Out is a great move to grab momentum, though admittedly it isn't quite as potent in trips as it is in doubs, so you can replace that with helping hand if you'd like, which can make zard's heat waves even MORE powerful, and will effectively mean you're using a +2 130 base power attack with overheat without having to set up. Feint should help with opposing wide guards, but again it's pretty optional.

next, replace tyrantrum with either one of these:

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Intimidate - Adamant nature
4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-Turn
- Superpower / Stone Edge

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Rough Skin - Jolly Nature
4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Protect

an earthquaker next to a charizard is incredibly scary. i'd recommend landorus-t over garchomp, but if you can't get one, garchomp should accomplish much of the same thing. rock slide is important for your team i think because of other charizards; as it stands, another zard could come in and walk all over your team if you don't have a check or two for it. landorus also gives you more intimidate support, which is very handy for limiting your opponent's damage output while dealing consistent damage of your own. :) also remember that wide guard protects your own pokemon, too so feel free to use earthquake with your hitmontop on the field.

next, i'd probably replace volcarona with either one of these:

Cresselia @ Sitrus Berry
Levitate - Calm Nature
252 HP / 4 Defense / 252 Special Defense
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Icy Wind / Thunder Wave
- Helping Hand / Safeguard

Musharna @ Sitrus Berry
Telepathy - Calm/Sassy Nature
252 HP / 4 Defense / 252 Special Defense
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Safeguard / Thunder Wave
- Helping Hand

like i said, this kind of team has problems with trick room, and it just so happens that trick room reverses trick room! helping hand and thunder wave are good options to help the team deal tons of damage. just thinking of the damage output from hitmontop's helping hand+bulky psychic's helping hand+charizard heat wave makes me salivate :O ! thunder wave helps out with faster pokes so you can hit them before they hit you, and safeguard is there for amoonguss, but you have charizard and venusaur on your team already, so it's not necessary. psyshock>psychic is really only for terrakion in sand, but psychic KO's breloom more easily.

you may want to replace sawsbuck with a slow or moderate speed pokemon to take advantage of trick room yourself, but really these are the major changes i'd make to remove some of the redundancy. have fun with your team, man!

Thank you for the advice, I will try digesting it one by one, I replaced Sawsbuck with Tangrowth

lucariojr I put 2 fires and 2 chlorophyl for backup purposes, so that if one dies, I still have a backup. As far as I played this team, its success depends heavily on the fire pokemon. Cresselia is a legendary which I won't be able to obtain it easily in game, and I don't like Musharna 's form. How about using Gardevoir instead of Musharna or Cresselia ?

It might look like this:
Gardevoir - (focus sash ?)
Modest - 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Hypnosis / Psyshock
- Dream Eater / Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick Room

Or how about Togekiss ?
Modest - 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Psyshock / Air Slash (to kill fighting pokemon)
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower (in Sunny Day, all fire moves are STAB)
- Dazzling Gleam (Since it replaces Volcarona, it will get centre position and deserves a move that is able to attack all pokemon)
- Trick Room (only to reverse Trick Room)

UPDATE: after testing the changes on the Marriland Team builder, the changes made the team severely weak against Ice and Flying. One Fire pokemon removed requires another grass pokemon to be removed as well.

I'm considering using Rotom Heat to replace Talonflame and to compensate for the extra flying and ice weakness

Rotom Heat @ Magnet
Modest Nature - 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Discharge
- Overheat
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)