ORAS OU TRY TO DESTROY IT! (Mega-Sabeye Stall)

TRY TO DESTROY IT!
Hi, Smogoners! Here I am to show you my second RMT on this community! As I did in the previous RMT, I decided even this time to build a stall team, because stall is my favourite playstyle in this metagame due to the difficulty in ORAS of playing HO. All the pokemons in this team are in perfect sinergy with each other, and I'll demonstrate this with some replays that I'll put at the end of the RMT. In particular, I started to build around Mantine+Jirachi+Amoonguss, then I add the other pikes, trying to cover the main threath, thing that I think I have done pefectly.

In details...

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rest

We have here a pokemon used very little, if not in stallteams. This is in fact one of the few answers for Landorus-I in stallteams, and thanks to its typing and its stats reveals also a great check for Charizard-Y and Keldeo, pokemon present in many of the ORAS teams. Stalls also CM-MSlowbro without Psyshock. Excellent entry on Heatran. Helps also with rainteams. I preferred to use a spread smarten defensive due to its already high special defense, as well as Toxic> Sleep Talk to win any 1vs1 vs Slowbro. Scald to burn phisical attackers. AQUATIC AIR PLANE.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Protect

Jirachi, as Bronzong or SpeciallyDefensive Victini, is one of the most used in pokemon stall to stop stallbreakers such as M-Gardevoir. HaxRachi with spam paralysis and flintch, accomplishes a great job in a stallteam, thanks to its wishsupport. It's an exceent switch-in on Latwins and other special pikes. I prefered Leftovers>Shed Shell, because SDef Rachi can win the 1vs1 against Magnezone/Magneton. Switch in for M-Diancie also. Very great pokemon. STAR OF THE SKY.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Calm Nature
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Foul Play

At first, the spread of this Amoonguss was different, in fact it had a Defensive Spread, to check pretty well pokemons like Azumarill: but Gengar did much damages to my team, so I decided to change the spread into Specially Defensive. It's also my counter for pokemons like Keldeo. It helps against statsuppers with Clear Smog, but it can also take advantage of it with Foul Play.
DON'T MAKE FUN OF THE HALLUCINOGENIC MUSHROOM.

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

One of the new mega introduced in ORAS. Mega Sableye is a very fearsome pokemon, that is good in stall team and balanced to prevent entry hazard and stats changes. This pokemon is common utilized with Calm Mind, thanks to its ability Magic Guard, witch protects Sableye from Will-O-Wisp, Toxic and Thunder Wave but...I decided to uso a stallbreakes form of this. I decided to use a Specially Defensive spread because of Will-O-Wisp that can compensate the lack in Defense of M-Sableye. (Fix'd by PlatypusVenom) EBOLAEYE IS WATCHING YOU.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 16 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell

Uncommon set of Unaware Clefable, witch Calm Mind that can be also my "win condition" in the middle of the battle. Clefable helps me in particular with statsuppers, but is also a great switch on dragons, fights, etc...It's mainly an answer to M-Sableye thanks to Unaware, and also for M-Slowbro. The only problem is that I have, because of Unaware, Moonight to revover life, wich revovery power is lower when there is sand on the field. CUTEST PART OF GENGAR.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Slack Off

Perfect defensive wall, Hippowdon helps a lot with phisical attakes (obv). Here it is to check Bisharp, Charizard-X, Lopunny, Metagross, Landorus-T, Dragonite, Bird Spam...Sand Stream helps with stalling the opponent. It's my setter, thanks to Stealth Rock (lol). I prefered Rock Slide over Toxic/Whirlwind to kill immediately Talonflame and Pinsir, wich where a very relevant problem for the entire team. FURIOUS HIPPO.

Replay:
ETT:
Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rest

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Calm Nature
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Foul Play

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 16 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Slack Off

Last edited:
This looks like a pretty solid team, although I do have a few things to pick at.

Firsly, Foul Play on Amoonguss. I understand why you put it there, but it doesn't look to me like it would be as useful to your set. If Amoonguss is blocking special attackers (like its EV spread is designed to do), then it wouldn't be very useful at all. Furthermore, Clear Smog already deals with stat boosters, often causing them to switch out after losing their momentum. You mentioned needing to deal with Gengar, so I suggest replacing Foul Play with something to accomplish that goal, such as Payback, if you think you need a dark type move present.

Secondly is your Mega Sableye set. Your EV spread looks too... spread out. Evening out the defenses makes for a less potent wall overall. I would recommend shifting all of your EVs from Def into SpD, as Will-O-Wisp compensates for the lack of Defense EVs. Alternatively, you could do the opposite, creating a behemoth of a physical wall.
Also an issue with this set is your use of Taunt. Personally, I've been using Mega Sableye (Calm Mind) for a while now, so I have some practice with this Pokémon. Taunt, while often a must-have on regular Sableye sets, is almost completely useless on Mega Sableye because of Magic Bounce. Although using Taunt can "force" walls like Ferrothorn out of the field, Magic Nounce has the same effect, as the opponent knows they cannot use those moves anyway. The only thing taunt does for this set is stop stat-boosters in their tracks. This is no small benefit, but you probably don't need Sableye to be able to do this due to the presence of both Amoonguss and Clefable. As to what you can put in that moveslot, I'm not sure. Calm Mind / Dark Pulse is screaming at me, but for the sake of your originality, I won't bother suggesting it. You could fill the hole with whatever you think your team still needs. Be creative; Sableye is a great utility.

Your Clefable set looks pretty solid, although due to the presence of Hippowdon's sand, you might want to run Soft-Boiled > Moonlight to escape the weather penalty. Also, I'm not sure how often you find yourself using Heal Bell with Magic Bounce on your team. If you need it, keep it. If not, maybe Fire Blast/Flamethrower.

Like I said before, looks like a solid defensive team. Keep in mind that my suggestions are only those: suggestions. If you want to disregard any of my advice for any reason, be my guest. After all, it's your team.

I'm not sure if unaware is available with soft boiled. I'd agree and reasses how often you use heal bell. I could see calm mind/wish/protect/moonblast helping you out

Hey man, cool team! I have always been a fan of stall.
As of right now your team kind of gets 6-0'ed by Bisharp at +2 with prio damage on Mega Eye and Hippo. So I would suggest changing Amoongus to Chesnaught. Chesnaught provides a reliable counter to Bisharp, and gives you spike stack which synergizes very well with Mega Sableye. Although with that said without Amoongus you lose a nice hazer, so I suggest Whirlwind over Rock Slide on Hippowdon, to add another good phaser on the team!

Sets
Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide
- Leech Seed

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Last edited:
PlatypusVenom You are right. I'll change the spread of M-Sableye in 252HP/4Def/252SDef.

Hellochi Changing Chesnaught>Amoonguss, how would you stop Azumarill and Gengar with Sludge Wave? Bisharp is not a problem because Hippowdon can switch easy on the Knock Off or the Sword Dance and kill it, obv Hippo has to be on 75%-100% of life more or less.

Last edited:
Solid team & stuff
The only things I can see going past your team are double weather teams (Mainly 'cause of Excadrill if it carries Swords Dance) and LOKyub.
Clefable is setup field for Excadrill 'cause it lacks FThrower and basically if it gets a SD your whole Team will be ohkoed apart from Hippowdow which takes tons of damage
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 335-395 (79.7 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
And then there's LOKyub. Your best switch in is MSableye
252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 200+ SpD Mega Sableye: 136-161 (44.7 - 52.9%) -- 28.5% chance to 2HKO
It's kinda good but you have to consider a few things:
First of all your defogger is rocks weak so there could easily be rocks on your field and second there could even be the sand.

Why don't you try SpD Skarmory over Jirachi?
Set
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 188 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Calcs
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 188+ SpD Skarmory: 133-157 (39.9 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 188+ SpD Skarmory: 87-103 (26.1 - 30.9%) -- 10.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Diancie Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 188+ SpD Skarmory: 148-176 (44.4 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 188+ SpD Skarmory: 149-176 (44.7 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 64 Def Skarmory: 170-201 (51 - 60.3%) -- 91% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 248 HP / 188+ SpD Skarmory: 73-86 (21.9 - 25.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 64 Def Skarmory: 76-90 (22.8 - 27%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 64 Def Skarmory: 157-186 (47.1 - 55.8%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It can take on Latwins, MDiancie, MGardevoir, strong physical attackers (Though not as well as the pdefensive one) and Landorus-i if lacking Focus Blast. Plus it gives you a needed Ground immunity.
Iron Head is there 'cause of Fairies.
Roost is a reliable recovery.
Spikes are good on stall teams 'cause they help you to wore down the opponent team.
Whirlwind is switchable for something else if needed. It's there mainly 'cause you could need a phazer sometimes (>Excadrill) and Skarmory could become setup field for some things.

PS: If sand is a problem, just take it off :v

Last edited:
Solid team & stuff
The only things I can see going past your team are double weather teams (Mainly 'cause of Excadrill if it carries Swords Dance) and LOKyub.
Clefable is setup field for Excadrill 'cause it lacks FThrower and basically if it gets a SD your whole Team will be ohkoed apart from Hippowdow which takes tons of damage
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 335-395 (79.7 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
And then there's LOKyub. Your best switch in is MSableye
252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 200+ SpD Mega Sableye: 136-161 (44.7 - 52.9%) -- 28.5% chance to 2HKO
It's kinda good but you have to consider a few things:
First of all your defogger is rocks weak so there could easily be rocks on your field and second there could even be the sand.

Why don't you try SpD Skarmory over Jirachi?
Set
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 188 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Calcs
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 188+ SpD Skarmory: 133-157 (39.9 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 188+ SpD Skarmory: 87-103 (26.1 - 30.9%) -- 10.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Diancie Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 188+ SpD Skarmory: 148-176 (44.4 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 188+ SpD Skarmory: 149-176 (44.7 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 64 Def Skarmory: 170-201 (51 - 60.3%) -- 91% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 248 HP / 188+ SpD Skarmory: 73-86 (21.9 - 25.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 64 Def Skarmory: 76-90 (22.8 - 27%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 64 Def Skarmory: 157-186 (47.1 - 55.8%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It can take on Latwins, MDiancie, MGardevoir, strong physical attackers (Though not as well as the pdefensive one) and Landorus-i if lacking Focus Blast. Plus it gives you a needed Ground immunity.
Iron Head is there 'cause of Fairies.
Roost is a reliable recovery.
Spikes are good on stall teams 'cause they help you to wore down the opponent team.
Whirlwind is switchable for something else if needed. It's there mainly 'cause you could need a phazer sometimes (>Excadrill) and Skarmory could become setup field for some things.

PS: If sand is a problem, just take it off :v
Very good rate, ty Croak :)
I think Jirachi could be replaced by SDef Skarmory even if I have to use Shed Shell>Leftovers to not be trapped by Magnezone beacaus Skarmory will be my only check for M-Gardevoir, which also can do a 2HKO (44%-52%) on the steel bird.
I'll try it, thanks :)

It's up to you. Shed Shell lets you escape from trappers like Magnezone but the leftovers could really help Mory.
Forgot to explain the EVs spread ahah
Basically 248 HP / 188 SpD are necessary in order to take on Latwins, MegaGardevoir, MegaDiancie ecc. 8EVs in Speed let you outspeed Azumarill 164 Spe and 64EVs in Def are there for the bulk.
I don't know why but it's Calm. Obviously you have to change it into Careful.

Oh, I noticed that also MegaZor breaks your Team. Your only answer at the moment is Hippowdon which unfortunately is setup field.
And MegaMetagross too if it runs Grass Knot otherwise Hippowdon is almost impenetrable
0 SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Hippowdon: 298-352 (70.9 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Hippowdon: 141-166 (33.5 - 39.5%) -- 18.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
This looks like a very solid team. I would like to see a threat list, or at least something telling us what pokemon give you trouble. One of the goals in building a stall team is to leave as few weaknesses as possible and at first glance you don't have any obvious weaknesses.

I imagine that your team is somewhat susceptible to being worn down under pressure (especially with sand up), particularly from opposing counter-sableye leads like Mega Diancie that make it difficult for Sableye to evolve. No Mega Sableye means rocks will likely be up and your opponent will maintain pressure on Mantine to make Defogging as difficult as possible. Seeing as Sableye is usually much better after mega evolving, I'm not a big fan of running Taunt with such low speed. I understand, however, that it's the only thing on your team that has Taunt, and Taunt is a move that most teams should have on at least one mon. I've been experimenting with other moves such as Sucker Punch, Protect and Fake Out and got fairly positive results with all of them:

Sucker Punch - Useful priority for revenge killing things at low HP. It does decent damage without any attack investment but is somewhat situational

Protect
- Used for safe mega evolution, scouting moves and potentially stalling out burned opponents. Always nice to have but seemingly inferior to Fake Out.

Fake Out - IMO even safer for mega evolving because it prevents opponents like Sub CM Keldeo, CM garde/lando, SD Talonflame from getting free boosts. Also useful for scouting to reveal lefties without any risk involved. Does pathetic damage but isn't really used for the damage anyway lol

If Taunt has been working well for you then by all means continue using it. It's a great move that most teams should have on at least one member, and although it's not a great move for Mega Sableye, it could still be the best option.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)