TV & Films Recommendations

1686030579966.png

Show: Never Have I Ever
Genre: Comedy, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: The complicated life of a first-generation Indian-American teenage girl, inspired by Mindy Kaling's own childhood.

SHOW: The Ghost and Molly McGee
GENRE: Animated, Paranormal, Comedy
SYNOPSIS: The McGee family moves into a house in the town of Brighton, and it turns out to be haunted. Their daughter, Molly, and the ghost, Scratch, quickly become BFFs. Hilarity and misadventures ensue.
funcard ghost and molly.jpg

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
is a Social Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of June 11th to June 17th

Movies

#Soft Flex
Film:
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Genre: Animation, Action, Adventure
Description: I'm not gonna abbreviate the plot for you - I'm just here to remind y'all that this is in theatres right now and to say to anyone considering waiting until it comes out on VOD to NOT DO THAT! See it on the big screen if at all possible!

I'm also here to praise the visuals, the voice acting, the soundtrack, the overall creativity and the amazing staff that slapped it all together - this is a worthy sequel to a film that left big shoes to fill and it does just that. Since this was announced as a 2-part story from the beginning (as in this movie and its eventual follow-up), it wouldn't be fair to directly compare it to the first flick - we can do that once we've seen the full story, but if this one's any indicator, we're in for another wild ride!

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)
Genre: Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Brick is an alcoholic ex-football player who drinks his days away and resists the affections of his wife. A reunion with his terminal father jogs a host of memories and revelations for both father and son.

%Zipzapadam
Film:
Kiki's Delivery Service
Genre: Anime, Family, Fantasy
IMDb Synopsis: A young witch, on her mandatory year of independent life, finds fitting into a new community difficult while she supports herself by running an air courier service.

Last edited:
1686791928071.png

Film: The Green Mile (1999)
Genre: Crime, Drama, Fantasy
IMDb Synopsis:
A tale set on death row in a Southern jail, where gentle giant John possesses the mysterious power to heal people's ailments. When the lead guard, Paul, recognizes John's gift, he tries to help stave off the condemned man's execution.

Film: Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (2023)
Genre: Action, Adventure
IMDb Synopsis: During the '90s, a new faction of Transformers - the Maximals - join the Autobots as allies in the battle for Earth.

SHOW: The Puzzle Place
GENRE: Educational, Puppet
SYNOPSIS: 6 friends hang out at a recreational center with puzzle piece-based designs, along with their Cat Sizzle and Dog Nuzzle.
funcard puzzle place.jpg

Movie: Catch Me If You Can
Genre: Biography, Crime, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Barely 21 yet, Frank is a skilled forger who has passed as a doctor, lawyer and pilot. FBI agent Carl becomes obsessed with tracking down the con man, who only revels in the pursuit.

1687404459883.png

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of June 18th to June 24th

Movies

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Red Rock West (1993)
Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: Upon arriving to a small town, a drifter is mistaken for a hitman, but when the real hitman arrives, complications ensue.

%Zipzapadam
Film:
Get Out
Genre: Horror, Mystery, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A young African-American visits his White girlfriend's parents for the weekend, where his simmering uneasiness about their reception of him eventually reaches a boiling point.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
30 Rock
Genre: Comedy
Description: Just my favourite/best sitcom of all time, NBD.

FILM: Elemental
GENRE: Animation, Romance, Adventure
SYNOPSIS: In a city inhabited by elemental beings, a fire elemental named Ember Lumen befriends, and ultimately falls in love with, a water elemental named Wade Ripple. The two of them must save the city from disaster while proving that different elements CAN mix.
funcard elemental ember.png

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of June 25th to July 1st

Movies

#Soft Flex
Film:
Emily the Criminal
Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller
Description: The film follows a young woman (played by Aubrey Plaza) who dabbles in a small-time credit card scam ring which turns out to be a much more slippery slope. As much as I love Aubrey's traditional sarcastic deadpan roles both on and off screen, it's nice to see her show off her range a bit in roles like this. A simple but very complete crime drama that fans of either drama can get behind, in my opinion.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
A Man Called Ove (2015)
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance
IMDb Synopsis: Ove, an ill-tempered, isolated retiree who spends his days enforcing block association rules and visiting his wife's grave, has finally given up on life just as an unlikely friendship develops with his boisterous new neighbors.

%Zipzapadam
Film:
Wolfwalkers
Genre: Animated, Action, Adventure
IMDb Synopsis: A young apprentice hunter and her father journey to Ireland to help wipe out the last wolf pack. But everything changes when she befriends a free-spirited girl from a mysterious tribe rumored to transform into wolves by night.

Last edited:

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of July 2nd to July 8th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
The Lazarus Effect (2015)
Genre: Horror, Mystery, Sci-Fi
IMDb Synopsis: A group of medical researchers discover a way to bring dead patients back to life.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Transformers: Rise of the Beasts
Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Description: Since I just got out of the theatre less than an hour ago, I shall recommend it while it's fresh in my mind! Rise of the Beasts is the follow-up to Bumblebee (i.e. the best live-action Transformers movie at the time of its release and the first after finally getting rid of Michael By as director) and takes direct inspiration from the Beast Wars cartoon from the 90's (one of my favourites). What filmmakers have finally learned is that when people show up for a Transformers movie, what they would like to see on screen is in fact, Transformers, and not fluffy human drama to pad the runtime. This one, aside from some exposition at the beginning of the film, really is mostly about the Transformers, despite having a couple human leads. It also sets up a story I think could be really great after 1 or 2 more movies (which I believe is the current plan moving ahead), so I'm looking forward to that!

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
The In-Laws (1979)
Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Crime, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: On the eve of their children's marriage, NYC in-laws Sheldon Kornpett and Vince Ricardo embark on a series of misadventures involving the CIA, the Treasury Department and Central American dictators.

%Zipzapadam
Film:
Nimona
IMDb Synopsis: When a knight in a futuristic medieval world is framed for a crime he didn't commit, the only one who can help him prove his innocence is Nimona -- a mischievous teen who happens to be a shapeshifting creature he's sworn to destroy.

Last edited:

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of July 9th to July 15th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Enter Nowhere (2011)
Genre: Mystery, Sci-Fi, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: Three strangers arrive one by one at a mysterious cabin in the middle of nowhere only to learn they've been brought together for a reason.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Lone Star (1996)
Genre: Drama, Mystery, Western
IMDb Synopsis: When the skeleton of his murdered predecessor is found, Sheriff Sam Deeds unearths many other long-buried secrets in his Texas border town.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
Community
Genre: Comedy
Description: Nothing to see here, just one of the best sitcoms of all time. #SixSeasonsAndAMovie

%Zipzapadam
Show:
The Bear
IMDb Synopsis: A young chef from the fine dining world returns to Chicago to run his family's sandwich shop.

Reactions: MDM

(Available on Netflix)​
Film: Nimona (2023)
Genre: Animation, Adventure
IMDb Synopsis: When a knight in a futuristic medieval world is framed for a crime he didn't commit, the only one who can help him prove his innocence is Nimona -- a mischievous teen who happens to be a shapeshifting creature he's sworn to destroy.

Movie: Catch Me If You Can
Genre: Biography, Crime, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Barely 21 yet, Frank is a skilled forger who has passed as a doctor, lawyer and pilot. FBI agent Carl becomes obsessed with tracking down the con man, who only revels in the pursuit.

View attachment 528219
Catch Me If You Can is one of my favorite Leonardo movie. The way he fools the detective is hilarious, especially the FBI agent scene where he pretended to be a officer and ran away.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of July 16th to July 22nd

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Run (2020)
Genre: Mystery, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A homeschooled teenager begins to suspect her mother is keeping a dark secret from her.

#Soft Flex
Film:
I Care a Lot
Genre: Comedy, Crime, Drama
Description: Rosamund Pike plays a legal guardian who preys on and scams the elderly out of their homes and possessions, which she then flips for profit. However, one of her "wards" turns out to be connected to some players who are not having it with the arrangement she has orchestrated.

Not the greatest film I've ever watched, but the acting is good and I did enjoy the ending after predicting a much less satisfying finish based on how things were leading up to it.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Notes on a Scandal (2006)
Genre: Crime, Drama, Romance
IMDb Synopsis: A veteran high school teacher befriends a younger art teacher, who is having an affair with one of her fifteen-year-old students. However, her intentions with this new "friend" also go well beyond a platonic friendship.

Television

%Zipzapadam
Show:
Tear Along the Dotted Line
Genre: Animated, Comedy, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: A cartoonist in Rome with his armadillo-for-a-conscience reflects on his path in life and a would-be love as he and his friends travel outside the city.

1690224223845.png

Film: The Prestige (2006)
Genre: Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi
IMDb Synopsis: After a tragic accident, two stage magicians in 1890s London engage in a battle to create the ultimate illusion while sacrificing everything they have to outwit each other.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of July 23rd to July 29th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Passenger 57 (1992)
Genre: Action, Crime, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: An airline security expert must take action when he finds himself trapped on a passenger jet when terrorists seize control of it.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Eye of the Needle (1981)
Genre: Romance, Thriller, War
IMDb Synopsis: A ruthless German spy, trying to get out of Britain with vital information about D-Day, must spend time with a young woman and her crippled husband.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
Cobra Kai
Genre: Action, Comedy, Drama
Description: Yet another regular reminder that this is one of the greatest shows of all times - Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy!

%Zipzapadam
Show:
Futurama
Genre: Animated, Adventure, Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: Philip J. Fry, a pizza delivery boy, is accidentally frozen in 1999 and thawed out on New Year's Eve 2999.

In honor of the new season, even if the only episode was just okay.

Last edited:

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of July 30th to August 5th

Movies

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Fatal Attraction (1987)
Genre: Drama, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A married man's one-night stand comes back to haunt him when that lover begins to stalk him and his family.

%Zipzapadam
Film:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
IMDb Synopsis: The film follows the Turtle brothers as they work to earn the love of New York City while facing down an army of mutants.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
X-Men: The Animated Series
Genre: Animation, Action, Adventure
Description: In honour of the upcoming X-Men '97 series that we're supposedly still getting (release date seems further and further away these days), I bring you one of the very best parts of growing up in the 90's with a TV! Full of colourful and comic-accurate characters and action, this series goes directly in my top 3 cartoons of all time along with The Transformers and DBZ.

(Available on Netflix)
Show: Back to 15
Genre: Time Travel, Drama
Description: Unhappy at work and in her personal life, Anita discovers a way to travel back to age 15. What will she change in her past?

FILM: Ladybug and Cat Noir
GENRE: Superhero, Animation
SYNOPSIS: Parisian teens Marinette and Adrien are chosen to wield the Ladybug and Cat Miraculouses in order to stop thjje evi lHawk Moth and his army of supervillains.
funcard ladybug cat noir film.jpg

1690923458698.png

Film: Bolt
Genre: Animation, Adventure, Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: The canine star of a fictional sci-fi/action show that believes his powers are real embarks on a cross country trek to save his co-star from a threat he believes is just as real.

SHOW: Twisted Metal
GENRE: Action, Comedy, Post-Apocalyptic, Vehicular Combat
SYNOPSIS: In a post-apocalyptic wasteland, John Doe, a talkative milkman with amnesia, is given a mission to traverse the desolate world to deliver a cryptic message. He faces a life-altering opportunity but must confront ruthless marauders in deadly and destructive vehicles to secure a chance at a better future.
funcard twisted metal.png

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of August 6th to August 12

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Time Trap (2017)
Genre: Action, Adventure, Mystery
IMDb Synopsis: A professor enters a cave and goes missing. Some of his students come looking for him and get trapped in the cave as well.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Shaolin Soccer
Genre: Action, Comedy, Fantasy
Description: Here we have another masterpiece by the director, writer and star of my favourite movie of all time, except 3 years prior to its release. It's a silly, light-hearted, over-the-top comedy that doesn't take itself too seriously and doesn't ask the audience to, either. A disgraced former player recruits a group of former kung fu brothers who team up to take on the soccer world in an effort to show off their martial arts skills once again.

The strength of the film is in the writing. The special effects are set at a level significantly below the bar of other action films of the era, but I believe it's done on purpose to keep the attention on the jokes. Easily one of my most rewatched movies of all time.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
In the Heat of the Night (1967)
Genre: Drama, Mystery, Thriller
Description: Rewatched this superlative murder mystery after 4,5 years with a 2003 born cousin of mine this week. It became the oldest film he's ever seen and to his surprise, he liked it a great deal. (He had set his expectations low because it's an old movie.) Tells you how it stands the test of time. With incredible acting and impeccable writing, no wonder it won all those Oscars.

Television

%Zipzapadam
Show:
Cunk on Earth
Genre: Comedy, Documentary
IMDb Synopsis: From virtually nothing to virtual reality, Philomena Cunk comically tells the story of our greatest inventions such as the wheel, the Mona Lisa, and nuclear power. Along the way, she asks experts hard-hitting questions about humanity's progress, as well as standing near impressive old ruins or inside museums.

Iconic Movie, one of most enjoyable
Film: Barbie (2023)
Description: Barbie suffers a crisis that leads her to question her world and her existence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 5)