ORAS Ubers Two Birds, One Stone

Hello everyone, this is my 1st ever ORAS team. For those who don't know me, I was extremely active during the BW/BW2 meta game. However personal issues prevented me from playing, I'm looking to get back into ubers and hopefully improve this team. I wanted to make a core around ho-oh and mega diancie, since they complemented each other well. This is the result of the team that I created. Most of these EV spread are probably not optimal, but whatever.

The team at a glance

Primal Groudon
Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Roar

I've always preferred groudon over kyogre in terms of design, but now with the transition to ORAS it's safe to assume primal groudon is top tier. It serves as a check to xerneas and kyogre and stealth rock settler. I chose earthqauke over precipice blades solely for accuracy. Lava plume has decent power due to stab/sun and burns mons. Roar let's me phrase mons from setting up, while racking up damage from stealth rocks. The EVs are 248 hp, 52 def, and 208 spD. It ensures me to comfortably check the above, while tanking +2 LO e-killer arceus earthquake at full health.

Yveltal
Yveltal @ Leftovers
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt
- Roost

My 1st bird of the team yveltal, they don't call it the destruction pokemon for nothing. With great bulk and good defense it acts as a check to almost all physical attackers for my team with foul play. Roost is self-explanatory for a wall set, sucker punch offers nice utilty kills off lati@s, mewtwo, and weakened foes. Taunt prevents me from being hazard bait and stops mons from setting up. The EV spread is simple 248 hp, 252 def, and 8 spe, allowing me to tank hits relativity easy.

Ho-oh
Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Atk / 4 Def / 52 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

The 2nd brid of the team ho-oh, this was always one of my favorite pokemon to use in BW/BW2 due to it's high bulk and offensive presence. I used the CB set because other sets seemed underwhelming in power for me. ho-oh serves as a second xerneas check to my team, but also handles lati@s, CM arceus, steel types, etc. Sacre fire has good power and burns things. Brave bird is another stab move that KO/2KO most mons in the tier. Earthquake gives great coverage and deals major damage on rock/electric types and sleep talk allows me to absorb dark voids from darkrai. The EV spread are 196 atk, 4 def allows me to switch into SR at least 2 times, and the rest is dumped into hp and spD for bulk.

Mega Diancie
Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm

Back in the days of BW/BW2, I would use espon for it's useful magic bounce but it always seemed lacking. Now with ORAS introducing mega diancie I feel as though it's good pokemon on it's own. Her typing and ability allows for checking yveltal, darkrai, lugia, ho-oh (not a good one though), latias, etc. After a few CM she becomes a scary wall breaker, the best part is that she can't be phrased or inflicted with status. Moon blast is obligatory stab move, while earth power provides great coveage and 2kos most primal groudon without any boost. Diamond storm murders any ho-oh, while 2koing blissy after SR. For me her short commings are somewhat low bulk and being slow before mega evolving. The EVS spread are max spA to hit hard as posssible and max spd to speedtie lati@s.

Latias
Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 144 HP / 172 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Recover

My favorite dragon of the eon twins, latias. She's serves as a back up check to kyogre and adds much needed defog support. Draco meteor is a powerful move that hurts most mons,while psyshock deals damage to kyogre, ho-oh, blissy/chansey, etc. Recover grants me the staying power and to reliably switch into threats. With 2 pokemon being SR weak defog was a mandatory option, ho-oh in particular loves to swtich in freely. The EV spread are 192 spe for outpacing base 100 and rest into spA and hp.

Groundceus
Arceus @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Recover

My win condition, I chose groundceus as a sweeper because my team was severely weak to mega dianice itself and it's another check to primal groudon, which is always nice to have. Earthquake and stone edge gives me perfect coveage to hit every mon. With sword dance I can sweep through teams, but there are a few mons that grounceus can't break. Recover gives me longevity, nuff said. The EV spread are max hp and speed. The investments in bulk allows me to check primal groudon, mega diance, and other stuff as well and speed to tie with other arceus.

And thats my team, I hope you guys make sure to write your suggestion/thoughts on the comment below.

Shout outs!
Rileydelete: where are you? :"(
php: welcome back! :D
GreatestHero: funny dude, fun to battle against, and basketball.
hyw: helped me out so many times in testing teams and a great friend in general.
Lemonade. and Steeljackel<3: thanks for the optimal EV spreads!
Edgar: suggested recover over healing wish, which has been working well.

Last edited:

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey there nice team. Mega Diancie is a really cool mon :D

PDon is a fine Xerneas check, but I find it does get worn down since it's useful for checking other threats as well, so a backup Xern check never hurts. Ho-Oh does this, but it does need at least 248 HP / 52 SpD to always live a +2 Thunder, which afaik is one of the most used coverage moves. This leaves 208 EVs for Attack, but CB Ho-Oh does not really miss max Attack at all. Darkrai is still OHKOed by STABs and 2HKOed by EQ regardless of Attack investment, EQ targets are still OHKOed or 2HKOed. Probably the only notable difference is you miss out on a 20% chance to OHKO 252 HP P-Ogre with Brave Bird, which isn't really a big deal since POgre is really easy to wear down anyway. You can also take out a few more points of Attack to put in Speed and the damage difference still won't be significant. Ho-Oh doesn't have much it needs to creep on anyway (but secretly putting 8-16 could be useful 8).

Also Yveltal wants 248 HP EVs I think, since 456 is divisible by 4, but that's a nitpick.

Offensive Latis are still a bit of trouble since Diancie can't really take Psyshocks. Your best bet is probably tank a Draco with Ho-Oh (more reason for added bulk over Attack) and switch to Yveltal for the Sucker. I don't have much experience but a bulkier Diancie might work, though you would have to hold off Mega Evolving until they were sufficiently dealt with. A Pursuit user over Arceus-Ground is also an option since Diancie + Ho-Oh is very solid for winning, but you're limited to like Scizor, Aegislash, or TTar which wouldn't really work.

But anyway that's all I have, Ho-Oh + Diancie is a cool core for roasting Steels and basically all you have to worry about otherwise is Waters, which PDon and Latias easily cover.

Last edited:
thanks guys for your suggestions! Like I said in the intro I really didn't know how to optimized the EV spreads, I'll update the RMT now.

Lemonade tbh I don't think a pursuit trapper isn't that necessary for this team and I really need something to check mega dianice, who mostly beats this team. I guess scizor could be an option, but it might be bait to many things like ho-oh. Idk I'll give it a try, thanks for your recommendations.

Last edited:
Very nice team, I really like it. The only thing that I find hard to justify is Healing Wish on Latias, although Latias is one bulky goon you might need to Recover sometimes against Groudon early game, this might be before you need to Healing Wish to your win condition so I'm kinda preocupied on thatt aspect. That's the main obstacle for many players (myself included) that stops us from running Healing Wish on Latias, most of the times it is recommended that you have an additional Defog user so you don't have that much pressure on Latias. But yeah I highly recommend you to use Recover over Healing Wish. This might take away some of the team's creativity but I really think it's worth it.

Good luck :]

I've been trying this team out, and I've found it to be weak against stall. Everybody on the team fails to 2HKO Lugia (or is too slow to manage it), nor are there any status users or stallbreakers. Additionally, a core of Kyogre and Ferrothorn is surprisingly difficult to break, as Ferrothorn can come in on Latias and setup Stealth Rock, preventing Ho-Oh from checking it. Ferrothorn additionally walls Diancie and OHKOs it with Gyro Ball/Power Whip, preventing it from exploiting Magic Bounce.

Running HP Fire over Diamond Storm (Calm Mind?) covers Ferrothorn, and replacing either Yveltal or Arceus-Ground with a stallbreaker (not sure which one) covers Lugia. Unfortunately, this reduces coverage of P-Groudon, Ho-Oh, Diancie, etc. Running Mega Gengar over Yveltal will eliminate many types of walls, and Gengar can still check EKiller in an emergency.

Last edited:
I've been trying this team out, and I've found it to be weak against stall. Everybody on the team fails to 2HKO Lugia (or is too slow to manage it), nor are there any status users or stallbreakers. Additionally, a core of Kyogre and Ferrothorn is surprisingly difficult to break, as Ferrothorn can come in on Latias and setup Stealth Rock, preventing Ho-Oh from checking it. Ferrothorn additionally walls Diancie and OHKOs it with Gyro Ball/Power Whip, preventing it from exploiting Magic Bounce.

Running HP Fire over Diamond Storm (Calm Mind?) covers Ferrothorn, and replacing either Yveltal or Arceus-Ground with a stallbreaker (not sure which one) covers Lugia. Unfortunately, this reduces coverage of P-Groudon, Ho-Oh, Diancie, etc.
mega diancie actually handles lugia quite well, although offensive yveltal might work for a stall breaker. I haven't seen too many ferrothorn, but I'll try hp fire over CM. It could be nice for scizor and genesect switch ins (though ho-oh already deals with them)

edit: not too keen on switching diancie for gengar, since I wanted to make a team based around this mon and ho-oh. Idk I'll give it a shot anyways.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Last edited:
mega diancie actually handles lugia quite well, although offensive yveltal might work for a stall breaker. I haven't seen too many ferrothorn, but I'll try hp fire over CM. It could be nice for scizor and genesect switch ins (though ho-oh already deals with them)

edit: not too keen on switching diancie for gengar, since I wanted to make a team based around this mon and ho-oh. Idk I'll give it a shot anyways.

Thanks for your suggestions!
You're welcome!

I'm not very good at teambuilding myself, so feel free to take anything I say with a grain of salt. Regarding Lugia, I realized that Lugia isn't able to p-haze Diancie, but if Diancie goes down, you're stuck. A cheap fix for this could be to put Toxic on somebody, perhaps even Groudon (over Earthquake, since it's a support Groudon). I think offensive Yveltal can defeat Lugia too.

Edit: In case you misunderstood, I recommend switching out Yveltal for a stallbreaker. Diancie is indeed very important to the team (and cute).

Last edited:
Hey Paul L,
there is not much to suggest you anymore because Edgar and Lemonade did a great job here, but there are still one suggestion I can give you. What I have in mind is using Grass Knot over Psyshock on Latias, which allows you to hit the common Arceus Ground very effective. Furthermore it hits Kyogre hard. Like I said there is not much to change, because the team works well. The only thing is changing your Mega Slot but that would steal its initial idea and would change the team to much.

Hope I was able to help you regardless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)