Two more weeks! [Gen 5 OU]

I made this account just over two years ago and haven't ever really used it. I've been battling competitively for quite a long time, but I've only been really trying to do well in the past six months, and I've used one team to carry me through that, with some tweaks and adjustments. I've continually updated this team, and it's remained pretty current. I decided that if there was one team I wanted rated, it was this one.

Basically, this team is based around solid, balanced offense. Infernape aims to set up rocks, while Sableye can neuter physical attackers with a burn and walls with Taunt. Jirachi and Gliscor can tank hits, and they cover each other’s weaknesses. Haxorus and Keldeo aim to sneak in and quickly dispatch one to three Pokemon, and they can do this effectively due to Wish, Taunt, and Will-O-Wisp support.

*** Marshmllow @ Focus Sash
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Fake Out
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat (Taunt?)
- Overheat

Marshm(a)llow is a Pokemon that has the ability to set up rocks in at least 80% of battles, by my estimation. This is a simple lead set, and I will lead with it under almost all circumstances not named rain. In fact, rain is Marshmallow's biggest problem. While not only neutering overheat, it renders her nearly unable to set up rocks. Overall, though, this lead usually works, and it has served me well in my time with this team. Fake Out is a move that sees very little use other than from Infernape, and it's a good move to have. Opposing Espeon will often switch in on the predicted rocks and then be countered by an Overheat. A last thing to note is that, obviously, Marshmallow is powerless against most bulky water types and Starmie. But really, she's a flaming monkey. UR RGUMENT IZ NVALID

*** Toothpaste @ Lum Berry
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Taunt

This is a standard Dragon Dancing tube of toothpaste. Outrage and Earthquake have near-perfect coverage and amazing power after +1, and after +2, Outrage can *almost* 2HKO Skarmory after Stealth Rock.

Toothpaste aims to come in either on a Wish or a Taunted foe and Dragon Dance the next turn. In some scenarios, I've been able to get a second boost, but barring Skarmory, that's simply overkill. Taunt is there mostly to stop things from burning me, and also to avoid letting Skarmory set up any hazards before Toothpaste has to switch out.

During the time I've had this team, I've continually switched between my Choice Banded Toothpaste and my Dragon Dancing Toothpaste, and I feel as if this one serves me better, but it'd be nice to have an opinion on this.

*** Kleenex @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power Ghost
- Icy Wind

The nickname here is an attempt at luring the opponent to blow its nose in me as I utterly destroy it with the fearsome power of Life Orb Keldeo. Kleenex has two great STABs in Water and Fighting and has a decent coverage move in Ice Beam Icy Wind, as well as the ability to handle Jellicent, Lati@s, Celebi, etc. with Hidden Power Ghost. While Keldeo has an entirely useless ability, that may be the only thing keeping this horse in OU.
Not really.
Kleenex likes entering battle in much the same way that Toothpaste does, although it can also function as a decent revenge killer, though it can't logically claim this role as its speed is awkwardly stuck at base 108. Basically, Kleenex comes into battle on something it can OHKO, which, after Stealth Rock especially, is quite a lot of things. Then, it proceeds to... win.

*** Bathtub @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
IVs: 0 Atk
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt
- Foul Play

Sableye really shouldn’t be UU; its usefulness in OU is tremendous and its counters are few. Bathtub can cripple any physical attacker with a faster Will-O-Wisp than anything and Taunt walls faster than anything outside Thundurus-I, an Uber. Bathtub’s largest threats are priority and being caught in the unfortunate situation that it is the last Pokemon I have left. Mach Punch, Quick Attack, and ExtremeSpeed can’t hurt Bathtub, so really all that it needs to watch out for is Bullet Punch from Scizor or the rarer Lucario and Ice Shard from Donphan and Mamoswine, both of which are hits that can be taken by both Keldeo and Jirachi.

If something physical attempts to set up against Bathtub assuming a switch, it can be KOed with Foul Play, but I’ve been wondering recently if Confuse Ray is a better option, as the aforementioned situation is relatively rare and most people who have fought a Sableye before would avoid setting up against Bathtub due to Taunt. Confuse Ray could make some switch-ins easier on my offensive Pokemon, but Foul Play does give me a semi-reliable method of killing weakened Pokemon.

*** Onion @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spe
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
-Iron Head
-Body Slam
-Wish
-Protect

The first of my walls, Onion is harder to break through than a phone book, assuming it's played right. It has a resistance to Ice, Gliscor's most prominent weakness, and all the other resistances provided by its Steel typing. It has great special bulk and can take virtually any special attack that isn't super-effective or rain boosted very well.
Mainly, Onion's largest threats are fast physical sweepers like Landorus-T, Terrakion, and Garchomp. It also struggles with Scizor and is walled by Ferrothorn, and hard-pressed to switch against Sub-Disable Gengar. Certain UUs like Honchkrow with Pursuit and Sucker Punch can give Onion trouble, and every time Skarmory switches in, it is nearly guaranteed to set up a hazard. Magnezone traps Jirachi and can usually KO it with one or two HP Fires or STAB Thunders.
Onion also doesn't fare well in rain, as it dislikes taking boosted Waterfalls, Surfs, and especially Hydro Pumps. Thunder is unwelcome as well, and it can end up parahaxing the parahaxer and dealing a lot of damage in the process.
Jirachi is, however, a fantastic sponge for special hits, and a safe switch-in on many special attacks and quite a few physical attacks. It has a place in my heart as my first event Pokemon, and it's just so cute...

*** LavaLamp @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 248 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
-Earthquake
-Taunt
-Ice Fang
-Roost

LavaLamp can switch into anything physical that Jirachi or anything else doesn't want to take. Immune to Ground, Jirachi's most-exploited weakness, he has good synergy with Onion. Its great typing, huge movepool, and stats that make it extremely bulky are perfect for my team. At least, that's what I think. What do you think?
Once again, Gliscor hates to deal with rain, more so than Jirachi due to his water weakness. Obviously, Ice moves are no fun for Gliscor, with most Ice Shards, even, dropping him past 50%. It can't be countered by many physical attackers outside Mamoswine, though, and it can take Close Combats, Stone Edges, etc. until Gen 8 comes out.

-OTHER OPTIONS-

I've thought about using a Specs HP Fire Magnezone on this team many times to check Ferrothorn/Forretress/Scizor/Skarmory, as well as rain teams. I'm not sure where it would fit, but I'd like to know if this is a good idea.

I'd really love to have Rapid Spin support on the team and a bulkier Stealth Rocker, so I've thought about replacing Infernape with a Rapid Spin Donphan- the usual moveset. My only hesitation was that Donphan was too similar to Gliscor, and would give me too much of an Ice weakness with Gliscor and Haxorus.

Thank you for taking the time to read this RMT, and if you'd give me suggestions, that would be amazing. Thank you!
~Fuzz

Last edited:
For infernape, try going for max HP max speed or something, and swapping out overheat for u-turn if you have taunt. This will raise its survivability and you probaby dont want to run ev's in the attacks with only 2 attacking moves! also, U-turn can screw espeon over even more because of it low physical defense, and get you the switch initiative to go into one of your walls. you can then run a jolly nature, and outspeed modest starmie.

Also, do you really want to go in on something, will-o-wisp it halving its attack, then foul play? I havent played with this team, but try going for night shade or seismic play, if you can deal with gengar or bliss better.

Thx for reading!

On Sableye try Night Shade. Foul Play has bad synergy with Willow.
If you put taunt on Ape remove it from Haxorus and add another coverage move.
On Gliscor you should use Toxic over Ice Fang since your team has no status outside of Willow, which can be unreliable at times.
I also love Zone but I can't find a spot where it would fit...

You have way too much taunt, change Taunt on Haxorus to Low Kick or Aqua Tail or something else since you said:
Toothpaste aims to come in either on a Wish or a Taunted foe
. Your team also sees to lack speed, change the Life Orb on Keldeo to a Choice Scarf. I would change it to Sub/Protect/Toxic/Earthquake with the same spread. Hope I helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)