Tyranitar [QC 0/2]

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Tyranitar

[SET]
name: Stealth Rock
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Fire Punch
move 4: Crunch
item: Leftovers / Chople Berry
ability: Sand Stream
nature: Adamant
evs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Tyranitar's stands out as one of few competent Rock-types in the metagame. Excellent bulk, especially under sandstorm, makes Tyranitar a reliable Stealth Rock setter. Stealth Rock is vital for wearing down the opponent over time, making it easier for sweepers to KO their targets. Tyranitar's typing allows it to set-up Stealth Rock against threats like Gengar and Dragapult. Stone Edge is Tyranitar's most effective STAB, pummeling a large portion of the metagame, like Toxapex and Clefable, neutrally and hitting bulky threats, like Mandibuzz and Avalugg, super-effectively. Fire Punch is important coverage for hitting Ferrothorn and Corviknight while Crunch lets Tyranitar hit Ghost-types, like Jellicent and Corsola-Galar. Leftovers provides Tyranitar with healing over time, while Chople Berry allows Tyranitar to take a single Focus Blast from Gengar, unboosted Hawlucha's Close Combat or a Mach Punch from a burned Guts Conkeldurr. The speed investment allows Tyranitar to outspeed other defensive threats such as univested Mandibuzz, Seismitoad and Corviknight.

This set pairs well with sweepers who require the extra damage brought on by Stealth Rock. Excadrill is one such sweeper, who also benefits from Tyranitar's Sand Stream ability. Tyranitar's typing and good special bulk help it wall threats like Dragapult, making it a good teammate for Fighting-type Pokemon such as Hawlucha as well as Ghost-types, like Jellicent. Ghost-types can also help block Rapid Spin users from removing Tyranitar's Stealth Rocks off the field, while simultaneously covering for Tyranitar's Fighting weakness.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Stone Edge
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Fire Punch
move 4: Low Kick
item: Choice Band
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Tyranitar's high attack and good bulk make it a solid Choice Band user. Stone Edge has impressive neutral coverage, notably 2HKOing physically Defensive Clefable, Grimmsnarl and specially defensive Corviknight, while hitting Pokemon like Mandibuzz and Togekiss super-effectively. Crunch serves as Tyranitar's secondary STAB, allowing it to potentially OHKO physically defensive Jellicent and Corsola-Galar. Fire Punch provides significant coverage against Ferrothorn and Corviknight. Finally Low Kick rounds out the coverage by allowing Tyranitar to OHKO opposing Tyranitar and Bisharp. The given EV spread allows Tyranitar to hit hard while outspeeding threats like Mandibuzz, Jellicent, Corviknight and Modest Clefable.

However, Tyranitar struggles against faster threats that can hit it supereffectively, such as Dracovish, Hawlucha and Barraskewda. Due to its low speed, Tyranitar appreciates Sticky Web support from Pokemon like Ribombee and Shuckle. Ribombee can also help cover for Tyranitar's Fighting weakness. Other Pokemon like Clefable, Hatterene and Gyarados can further support Tyranitar's weakness to Fighting.

[SET]
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Earthquake / Crunch
move 4: Fire Punch
item: Chople Berry
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
This set joins Tyranitar among the ranks of threatening Dragon Dance sweepers in the current OU metagame. With good natural bulk and typing, Tyranitar can set up on common threats like Dragapult, Toxtricity and Gengar. Stone Edge hits a large portion of the metagame for atleast neutral damage. Earthquake allows Tyranitar to hit Toxapex super-effectively, while also hitting Aegislash without fear of King's Shield. Crunch, however, is notable for hitting Jellicent and bulky Mew. Fire Punch rounds out the coverage by allowing Tyranitar to hit Ferrothorn and Corviknight, who would otherwise wall the set. The given EV spread provides Tyranitar with the most Speed and Attack as possible. This set partners well with Sand Rush Excadrill, who appreciates Tyranitar's ability to break down common walls like Ferrothorn, Toxapex and Corviknight, paving the way for a sweep later. Excadrill can also ward off Fairy-types that hit Tyranitar super-effectively. Tyranitar also appreciates teammates that can punish Fighting-types, such as Hatterene, Gyarados, Hawlucha and Clefable.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
My friend Jordy said I could reject an analysis. Dunno why, but here we are.

There are a few reasons to reject this.

1) Use of old EVs on a form that doesnt exist anymore. 180 Speed accomplishes nothing this generation and the EVs before were for outspending Pokemon like Azumarill and co. as Mega Tar. Unfortunately, Thanos'd like Leo's gummy bears.

2) Heavy Slam. Where do we begin here? First, Stone Edge is doing a fuckton to Clefs these days. Secondly, and most importantly, Heavy Slamming yourself is a very bizarre suggestion and fails to comprehend how Heavy Slam works. For the record - Stone Edge does more damage easily than Heavy Slam on Tyranitar.

3) Lack of Choice Band which makes me sad.

4) No explanation of EVs nor Chople Berry. I get they're mini-analyses, but you could at least say what these did.

QC Reject 1/2

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
My friend Jordy said I could reject an analysis. Dunno why, but here we are.

There are a few reasons to reject this.

1) Use of old EVs on a form that doesnt exist anymore. 180 Speed accomplishes nothing this generation and the EVs before were for outspending Pokemon like Azumarill and co. as Mega Tar. Unfortunately, Thanos'd like Leo's gummy bears.

2) Heavy Slam. Where do we begin here? First, Stone Edge is doing a fuckton to Clefs these days. Secondly, and most importantly, Heavy Slamming yourself is a very bizarre suggestion and fails to comprehend how Heavy Slam works. For the record - Stone Edge does more damage easily than Heavy Slam on Tyranitar.

3) Lack of Choice Band which makes me sad.

4) No explanation of EVs nor Chople Berry. I get they're mini-analyses, but you could at least say what these did.
You're right. Sorry. I wrote this up the day it got approved and haven't looked at it since, and obviously so much has changed/been discovered that I did not consider. Should I re-write from scratch or are there other plans for rejected analysis? Apologies.

You're right. Sorry. I wrote this up the day it got approved and haven't looked at it since, and obviously so much has changed/been discovered that I did not consider. Should I re-write from scratch or are there other plans for rejected analysis? Apologies.
usually when an analysis gets rejected the thread gets locked and the analysis get assigned to a different user. however, i don't mind checking this, so you're good. posting this as a reservation; i'll get the check up soon.

edit: before i post a check, be sure to implement the stuff colonel m said (including writing up a set for choice band) as best you can. for bulky rocks, use a spread of 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe; the speed is for defensive mons like mandibuzz, seismitoad, and corviknight.

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
usually when an analysis gets rejected the thread gets locked and the analysis get assigned to a different user. however, i don't mind checking this, so you're good. posting this as a reservation; i'll get the check up soon.

edit: before i post a check, be sure to implement the stuff colonel m said (including writing up a set for choice band) as best you can. for bulky rocks, use a spread of 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe; the speed is for defensive mons like mandibuzz, seismitoad, and corviknight.
Updated. Tried my best to fix up the SR set and added the Choice Band. I left the DD because I wasn't sure if it should still be there or not (3 sets seems like a lot for a preview) but I can delete it if required. Hopefully it looks better!

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So the QC team has discussed this further and decided that for the reasons Colonel M mentioned as well as the general lack of metagame knowledge exhibited by the writing as a whole that we are going to reject this for good, as we believe it cannot be fixed without the QC team more or less rewriting the analysis for you.

QC Reject 2/2

chimp

Go Bananas
So the QC team has discussed this further and decided that for the reasons Colonel M mentioned as well as the general lack of metagame knowledge exhibited by the writing as a whole that we are going to reject this for good, as we believe it cannot be fixed without the QC team more or less rewriting the analysis for you.
Fair enough. No worries!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)