Move 2: Crunch
Move 3: Fire Punch
Move 4: Dragon Dance / Earthquake
Item: Weakness Policy / Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
Tyranitar is a bulky physical attacker that can serve as a sweeper against special focused teams thanks to Sandstorm buffing his special defense, and his high HP. Dynamaxing also makes Tyranitar very hard to kill, turning him into a massive tank that takes multiple turns to take down.

Crunch provides a good STAB check against a variety of threats, including Dragapult. Rock Blast can break through Mimikyu Disguise and still gets some damage in, while also being good to chip away at Focus Sash users before hitting them with our other moves. Conversely, Stone Edge can provide for a stronger Max Rockfall, and remove it's sometimes shaky accuracy, allowing a harder hit. Fire Punch is a great coverage move, hitting 2 of Ttar's weaknesses, especially hitting highly present Steel type mons and providing a 4x move against Ferrothorn. The 4th slot is highly flexible depending on your item choice. If you're running Weakness Policy, you'll probably want Earthquake to allow for another strong coverage attack with possible OHKO potential. Focus Sash users will probably want Dragon Dance, although you could possibly run Stealth Rock if you don't have a hazard setter. I'd personally lean closer to Dragon Dance, as getting 1 guaranteed Dance in and then Dynamaxing and the next turn can turn Tyranitar into a monster attacker that could easily sweep half a team before going down.

When it comes to partners, this set plays very nicely with a lot of strong sweepers. Obviously Sand Rush Excadrill is going to do well here, with Ttar setting sand naturally and setting up Excadrill nicely. Mons like Dragapult and Aegislash are also great partners, both allowing you to switch into a potentially fatal Fighting-type attack, as well as being great sweepers in their own right. While you can invest in HP to potentially survive Fighting-types or something like Darmanitan-G Superpower, these mons can make for a great switch into those attacks. Aegislash can also serve as a nice wall on a Ttar team, and Dragapult as a special revenge killer taking advantage of Max Darkness dropping special defenses.

Name: Special Attacking Weakness Policy
Move 1: Dark Pulse
Move 2: Fire Blast
Move 3: Thunderbolt
Move 4: Stealth Rock / Ice Beam / Stone Edge
Item: Weakness Policy
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Sp Atk / 252 HP / 4 Speed

[SET COMMENTS]
This set focuses on activating Tyranitar's WP and letting it hit for big damage. Although it's Sp Atk is lower than it's physical, special attack Tyranitar has some fantastic coverage moves available, and gets around some of the bulky physical walls like Iron Defense Corviknight, Quagsire, G-Corsola, etc.. As a Dmax sweeper, it can leverage STAB Max Darkness to lower special defense on anything it doesn't kill, making it all the easier for it or another special mon to come in and finish up.

Dark Pulse is the STAB move of choice here, once again providing Dragapult coverage and coverage against Trick Room Psychic mons. Fire Blast and Thunderbolt are the choice coverage moves here, hitting a lot of the popular threats running around and hitting more than half of Ttar's weaknesses. You could run Flamethrower if you're concerned about accuracy and are planning to use Max Darkness on your last Dmax turn to weaken an opponent's defense. For the last move, you could run Stealth Rock if you want the flexibility to set up hazards against a mon that's unlikely to trigger WP or that's abusing U-Turn/Volt Switch. Ice Beam provides some additional coverage against additional types, further expanding the attack variety at your disposal. Lastly, as mentioned above, Stone Edge provides a great STAB move that becomes even better when Dynamax'd, allowing a much stronger attack while getting rid of the shaky accuracy, and incidental weather control.

As mentioned in the physical set, Aegislash and Dragapult are great partners for Ttar, providing great checks against Fighting types and other common checks against Tyranitar, namely Steel and Grass types. These mons can also be built for either physical or special sets, so they can easily be built to take advantage of Ttar's Max Darkness lowering an opponent's Sp. Def, allowing for easy revenge kills.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just so you know, we're focusing on analyses for singles at the moment. I beleive the VGC team will be handling Battle Stadium Doubles later, and from reading this set, it seems doubles focused. Please change the set to take this into account!

For BSS, Im personally looking for physically and specially based weakness policy sets at the moment.

Just so you know, we're focusing on analyses for singles at the moment. I beleive the VGC team will be handling Battle Stadium Doubles later, and from reading this set, it seems doubles focused. Please change the set to take this into account!

For BSS, Im personally looking for physically and specially based weakness policy sets at the moment.
Woops, sorry about that! I'm still kinda new to the forums, I'll keep an eye out for the Doubles thread(s). I changed this to reflect a Weakness Policy singles build, hope this is more in line with what you're looking for. Thanks!

I think theres still quite a bit of work to go on this. Off the top of my head:

1. EV Spread
- Most WP spreads that Ive seen are a lot on the bulkier side of things.

2. Different sets
- Id say Sash is worth mentioning as a slash in all sets, but there should probably be a physical set and a special one.

3. Good Teammates

I think theres still quite a bit of work to go on this. Off the top of my head:

1. EV Spread
- Most WP spreads that Ive seen are a lot on the bulkier side of things.

2. Different sets
- Id say Sash is worth mentioning as a slash in all sets, but there should probably be a physical set and a special one.

3. Good Teammates
Thanks for the feedback! I added a separate Focus Sash set trying to incorporate Dragon Dance. I looked at special attacks, but the gap between his base physical and special is quite big already, it seems like it makes more sense to build physical.

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for the feedback! I added a separate Focus Sash set trying to incorporate Dragon Dance. I looked at special attacks, but the gap between his base physical and special is quite big already, it seems like it makes more sense to build physical.
I think it might be best to actually slash DD (and sash) in the first set. Yes, I realize how weird that is, but we can't be having too many sets for previews, and Tyranitar realllly pushes that to the limit.

Also, I think Rock Blast should probably be on the physical attacker set over Stone Edge, since it can mess with Mimikyu in lead situations, which is pretty neat!

As for special, the reason we need it is because despite its much lower SpA, it messes with a LOT of Tyranitar checks (like anything that attempts to burn it, the many physically bulky mons running around atm, etc). Even with base 95 SpA, +2 attacks coming from it still deal massive damage, and especially mess with the bulkier Rotom sets and Corviknight.

Set should probably look something like this:

Move 4: Stealth Rock / Ice Beam
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe

Last edited:
I think it might be best to actually slash DD (and sash) in the first set. Yes, I realize how weird that is, but we can't be having too many sets for previews, and Tyranitar realllly pushes that to the limit.

Also, I think Rock Blast should probably be on the physical attacker set over Stone Edge, since it can mess with Mimikyu in lead situations, which is pretty neat!

As for special, the reason we need it is because despite its much lower SpA, it messes with a LOT of Tyranitar checks (like anything that attempts to burn it, the many physically bulky mons running around atm, etc). Even with base 95 SpA, +2 attacks coming from it still deal massive damage, and especially mess with the bulkier Rotom sets and Corviknight.

Set should probably look something like this:

Thanks for the feedback! This is my first time doing a post like this, especially in singles, but I'm learning a lot and it's incredibly interesting to me. I changed the physical set to include sash and WP. I made the 4th move DD/Earthquake and cut stealth rock, since I figure in that set you have a quicker hazard setter in that team.

I added in the special set using the set you provided, the only change I made was slashing Flamethrower with Fire Blast, mainly since I've played with Fire Blast in doubles and it's infuriating to have it miss during a key moment. But in singles, I can see the aspect of maximizing power as much as possible over accuracy, so I can change it back. Let me know if you guys have other feedback!

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Please pay attention to the formatting, please (or someone with moderator perks change it for this guy)

Theorymon posted it with the correct formatting. Please just copy-paste it instead of adding on bad spacing by typing it on your own. (Or do type it on your own, but please care about the details, please.)

This set revolves around the Weakness Policy, and using Tyranitar's multiple weaknesses to trigger as early as possible, and then turn around and hit back with massive power. Combined with Dynamax, this turns Tyranitar into a monster attacker with a lot of depth in the attacks available, easily allowing for multiple OHKOs off the WP and Dynamax buffs.
This is just bunch of fluff to say "If Tyranitar activates its weakness policy, it becomes very strong."

Instead, please do talk about the draws of going Special Tyranitar. It has better coverage options, beats Iron Defense Corviknight, does not care about the burn, and takes advantage of Max Darkness dropping their Special Defense for additional damage boost. All this combine to let it thrash G-Corsola, Toxapex, Quagsire, Corviknight, etc. semi-stall cores that are very prevalent at the moment.

Similarly, do talk about its counters and common partners in the first physical set as well. For example the physical set is prone to all the above Pokemon like Quagsire / Toxapex / Iron Defense Corviknight and can be crippled by burn, but in general hit way harder. Excadrill, Dragapult, etc. are great partners for both (mention Special Tar's ability to lure out checks so Excadrill can sweep). Things like Focus Sash Aegislash / Excadrill are strong checks for both sets in addition to Fighting-type attackers and things like Darmanitan-G Superpower. Do note that Tyranitar is capable of investing into its bulk to survive these attacks, though - this is very important fact even though we aren't going to talk about said spreads because it is just a preview.)

I know Theorymon was another QC member but i seriously think Stone Edge should still be slashed with Rock Bllast (or above it). For obvious reasons Tyranitar loves to Dynamax to get rid of its shaky accuracy anyway, and it is a far stronger attack. Similarly, I also think there is merit in slashing Stone Edge on the last slot of the special set as well. In fact I believe it still should be the first slash for its ability to threaten Togekiss with +2 Max Rockfall, and that is a premier threat.

We want this on the site ASAP. It is undoubtedly the top 5 Pokemon in the metagame. It is indeed a really complex Pokemon but this is just a preview, so these 2 sets are going to be just fine. Change the thread into QC and implement all these changes ASAP for QC 1/2

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I’ve almost exclusively been using mixed dragon dance after not really liking the other sets:

Name: Mixed Dragon Dance
Move 1: Rock Slide / Rock Blast
Move 2: Iron Head / Crunch
Move 3: Flamethrower
Move 4: Dragon Dance
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe

What I don’t like about Ttar is that even though it tanks ridiculous moves while maxed and gets a free kill in return, it often just gets revenge killed. Ttar does still live a crazy amount of moves without maxing, gets a DD off, then maxes and claims even more kills. DD also allows it to outspeed a huge majority of the meta (up to Gengar specifically) which usually just revenge kill Ttar, most notably Mimikyu and Mold Breaker Hawlucha. Sure you don’t kill them every time, but the damage you get off before Ttar goes down can be a game saver.

Dragon Dance on the first set (no speed) doesn’t make sense. Adamant max HP should just always be 4 attacks. Iron Head is pretty standard, maybe swap it for that (I don’t see a lot of EQ).

I’ve also seen absolutely no all out special attackers. It doesn’t look like an awful set but I’m a little iffy on including it.

I would add superpower as a slash with ddance and eq on the bulky wp set. Being able to guarantee the ohko at +2 on opposing dynamaxed ttars is pretty big, plus being able to boost your attack even further with max knuckle has been very helpful on multiple occasions in my experience with the set.

+2 252+ Atk Tyranitar Max Quake (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Dynamax Tyranitar: 306-360 (73.9 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Tyranitar Max Knuckle (95 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Dynamax Tyranitar: 448-528 (108.2 - 127.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Tyranitar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Dynamax Tyranitar: 564-664 (136.2 - 160.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Theorymon

So we at QC have been talking, and think this needs to be reassigned. I apologize greatly for this, I should have probably made this analysis only avaliable for badge holders / really experienced players, I'm very sorry for wasting your time! In the future, I'll make sure stuff like this doesn't happen again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)