SM OU Tyranitar + Sand Drill Balance

Felixx

I'm back.

Seven Million by Lil Uzi Vert Ft. Future
(Just some lit music for a lit team)

First off I'd like to give credits to Smymo because I got the team idea from him, he made his own RMT about a Tyranitar + Sand Drill Team, I gave my opinions and it turned out my rating team was actually fantastic, even having success in the 1650's. I edited the team I gave him slightly, my only important changes being the Pex and Bulu spreads being a little different. Sand is generally an unexplored playstyle in the current meta, but I decided to give it a shot recently.

Anyways let's start discussing the team:

+

Excadrill (M) @ Steelium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
These two make up the team's offensive core. Excadrill role compresses a stealth rocker and a strong Z-move breaker in a single slot (kinda like Flyinium Z Lando and Inferno Overdrive Heatran). A jolly nature was chosen to always outspeed Heatran even out of sand. Banded Ttar supports Excadrill with sand, allowing it to become very fast and be able to revenge kill threats like SD Kart, M-Pinsir, M-Medicham, Kyurem-B and +1 Zard-X, all of which the team generally struggles to switch into (SD Kart and M-Pinsir can sack themselves to weaken Zapdos and let other threats like the aforementioned Kartana and M-Pinsir (these two make a great offensive core), and also Hawlucha, to be able break the team. Banded Ttar is also a powerful breaker in itself, and eases the team's match-up against Celesteela Balances and Stall, and can use it massive bulk to check offensive mons like Blace, scarf Latios and non-Bug Buzz Volc.

+

Toxapex (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic
- Haze
- Recover

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 132 SpD / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness​

If Sand Drill and Ttar form a formidable offensive core, Pex and Bulu form an amazing de - fensive core, both soaking up hits for the team. Toxapex was chosen to help the team deal with prominent threats like Ash-Gren, non-Psychinium Z Volc, Keldeo, M-Lopunny, M-Scizor, Hawlucha (still kinda loses but can Haze/chip for Zapdos) and Torn reliabely due to the presence of Regenerator. Tapu Bulu deals with similar threats like the aforementioned Ash-Gren, Keldeo (though it does dislike burns), and (soft-checks) M-Lop, but with more offensive presence, the drawback being it gets worn down much for easily and dosen't fare well against M-Scizor, Hawlucha, Torn and any type of Volc set. Unlike Pex, Bulu is able to check defensive and scarf variants Lando-T, and soft check M-Medicham. Also, the grassy terrain it provides means that Pex will take less damage from EQ and be a better check to Zard-X, and let it live EQ's from Lando-T and Garchomp and try to fish for burns.

Lopunny-Mega (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Encore
Here we have an Power-Up Punch + Encore M-Lop, which allows it to break past Clefable, Mew and M-Venu, all of which are able to annoy Ttar, Excadrill, or both. M-Lop also provides a nice form of speed control to threats like Ash-Gren, Koko, Kyurem-B, M-Medicham and non-scarf Lele. This is a relatively slow team with no-scarfer, and I guess Fake-Out would help cement this role, but I don't think it's really needed with Pex, Bulu and Zapdos dealing with a good portion of the meta. Speaking of Zapdos...

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost​

Zapdos is the defogger of the team and is able to keep hazards off of the field, which is very important for the Bulu to not get worn down more easily than it already does. Pressure allows it to PP stall rockers like Lando-T and non-CM Clef, and generally annoys Balance teams by quickly depleting their moves. Static can be used to paralyze M-Medicham, since this team has ZERO switch-ins to it. Zapdos is also the team's main way of dealing with Hawlucha, a potent and deadly set-up sweeper that the team would otherwise struggle with heavily, and it can also deal other threats like defensive and non-stone edge scarf Lando-T, SD and scarf Kart, Torn, and Celesteela.

Overall, I like how the team is, but if you have suggestions for the team, I'll take a look into it, and of course if you've made it this far, then thanks for reading my first ever, "Rate My Team".

Here's the link to the PokePaste for testing it out yourselves!

Last edited:
Looks like a solid team, and while overall i like the idea of it, i think you kinda still need a scarfer/ slow u-turn/volt switch user since you have no real wincon outside of sand. Honestly not a big fan of bulu in this team either, it's super solid overall, but when you have your main wincon only having 2 attacks, one of which being earthquake i'd like to think that tangrowth/amoonguss would be better suited for the role. From a team preview point of view, I'd say it's kinda easy to pressure excadrill too, since it's super easy to see that the only possible pokemon that could set rocks is excadrill, with lopp obviously being mega, that gives away that T-tar is banded. While role compression is great, i have to question how often each of excadrills moves are used in each game, with it being a wincon only in sand, and your rocker. While i dont like to change too many things on RMT, especially ones that seem to be decently effective, i'm just gonna go through a few thoughts on changes now. I'd honestly like to see bulu out, for tangrowth/amoonguss for reasons i've already stated. Either scarf lando in for lop, which could free up t-tar to be mega, which then gives your team 3 possible rockers (from a team preview perspective) (mega ttar,lando, excadrill) Or defensive lando in for tox, with a possible scarfer in place of lopp.

I do love lopp, and i've honestly no idea why everything i think of for this team seems to remove him :(

FYI, while i'm sure you know, as does everybody else, lando fits on pretty much every team, of all the SPL season 9 teams with T-Tar/Mega T-tar have had lando with them. Hope i was at least some help with my thoughts!

Hey buddy! I really love Sand being played because is my favourite playstyle by far, and I'm experienced with the playstyle, so I'll give you some suggest in order to try to improve the team, which seems to be effective

1.- As above said, Bulu seems out of place, because how important Earthquake is for Excadrill, so in this regard, I would swap in AV Tangrowth to fulfill the role of AV Bulu. As moves, I would run Giga Drain, Knock Off, HP Ice to check better Zygarde and non SSSS Landorus-T, since the team have no trouble dealing with Ferrothorn and M-Scizor because of Zapdos, and the last one could be EQ, but your team have many ways to deal with Heatran, so I would run Sludge Bomb for hit Bulu if Bulu dares to stay in against it.

2.- I would make M-Tyranitar with Stealth Rock and Fire Punch and put Rock Slide or Toxic on Excadrill to cripple switch ins like Tangrowth, Landorus-T, or have the coverage to hit Celesteela, Zapdos and other stuff like that. I like Z-Iron Head in Exca, but I think LO is better to deal more consistent damage, so, the next change will be added in this regard.

3.- This team lacks another wincon if Exca goes down, and also another way to pressure fat teams because Tyranitar would be walled to no end by some stuff like Hippowdon or Skarmory, so, in this regard I would add Double Dance Landorus-T with Rockium Z. This gives you a solid secondary wincon against offensive teams because of Rock Polish and also, a great wallbreaker against fat shit thanks to SD to Excadrill takes advantage latter in the game. This set gives you a better shot dealing with Flying-types like Skarm and Celesteela and also, a way to nuke Grass and Water types that Excadrill dislikes. This makes you very weak to water types, but your defensive backbone would help here a lot between Pex and Tang.
If this set doesn't work well for you, then Z-Fly Landorus-T could seal the deal here to pressure all Excadrill's checks.

Minor changes

1.- Since this team have no answer to Psychium Z Volcarona, I would run Payapa Berry Toxapex to full counter it and make it 252 SpDef Calm to check better all the shit of special attackers.

That's all, have fun and good luck dude :D!

Excadrill (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Toxapex (F) @ Payapa Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Haze
- Recover

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Fire Punch

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Last edited:
Hey Felixx, sand is not particularly my cup of tea but I did notice some weaknesses you have I want to help you cover.

What are the weaknesses? :
  • Kyurem-Black can be extremely annoying with its physical Z-Move, the only way to outplay it is to catch the Icium-Z with Toxapex
  • Rotom-Wash is just being excruciating to deal with, especially because you don't run Rock Slide on Excadrill
What changes can you make? :

Mega > Choice Band; Tyranitar: This change is intertwined with the other change I am going to suggest. The main purpose of the Mega- Tyranitar is to get Stealth Rocks, which are obvious to be essencial to the meta, at this point. It also makes you eat attacks from Kyurem-Black better to the point where Icium-Z just has a tiny chance to kill after 1 entry of hazards.

Rock Slide > Stealth Rocks; Excadrill: You need something for Rotom-Wash, which is why I am of the opinion that you should run Rock Slide. Otherwise, Rotom can put you in a huge predicament from pretty much any percentage higher than 30%, being able to will-o-wisp everything and volt switch on almost everything. Also, please consider running Rockium-Z for Rotom-Wash, since it kills Rotom-Wash with it after 2 Stealth Rock entrances.
+2 252 Atk Excadrill Continental Crush (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 204+ Def Rotom-Wash: 224-264 (73.9 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Choice Scarf Kartana > Lopunny-Mega: When you already have a Mega-Tyranitar as your Mega-Pokémon, you need to replace the other mega. I have decided to go with Kartana, since it is a fast Pokémon that provides Knock Off-Support for both your Excadrill and Mega-Tyranitar. Additonally, the Grassy Terrain fits well with the Kartana's Leaf Blade.

<--- My suggested version of the team.

Hope this rate helped you out man! Pce.

Last edited:

Felixx

I'm back.
thanks for all the input guys! will look at all your recommendations to see what suits the team best

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)