move 1: Stealth Rock / Rest
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Flamethrower / Crunch
move 4: Crunch / Thunder Wave
item: Leftovers / Shed Shell
ability: Sand Stream
nature: Brave / Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 SpD

Tyranitar is a nice utility Pokemon that's able to set sand for Excadrill and check a few notable threats such as Eternatus and Dragapult. It makes for a decent Stealth Rock setter thanks to its natural bulk and offensive presence, although Rest can be used in place of Stealth Rock to give Tyranitar a form of recovery and let it sponge status moves such as Toxic from Eternatus. Earthquake 2HKOes offensive Eternatus and deals heavy damage to Zacian-C should it pivot in on a predicted STAB move. Flamethrower allows Tyranitar to pressure physically defensive Corviknight, a common Defogger, and ensures that it isn't Spikes fodder for Ferrothorn. Crunch is a decently strong STAB attack that hits Ghost-types like Dragapult super effectively and forces Gothitelle and Dugtrio to be wary of switching in directly. Alternatively, Thunder Wave is a nice utility option to annoy walls and cripple offensive threats. Stone Edge or Rock Slide can be used to hit Mandibuzz and Hydreigon, but other than those two, they don't hit many notable targets much harder than Crunch does. The given EV spread maximizes Tyranitar's offensive presence and allows it to survive three Life Orb-boosted Dynamax Cannons from Timid Eternatus after Leftovers recovery. Shed Shell should be used alongside Rest so that Tyranitar isn't left vulnerable to trappers like Gothitelle and Dugtrio while it's asleep. Smooth Rock is an option to give teammates like Excadrill more sand turns.

Excadrill is usually too good to pass up as a partner, as it can take advantage of the sand Tyranitar sets to revenge kill threats like Zacian-C and sweep the opposition. Ghost-types like Galarian Corsola and Aegislash have good type synergy with Tyranitar, as they can deal with Fighting-types like Zamazenta while Tyranitar can switch into Ghost- and Dark-type attacks for them. Quagsire is a great teammate for its ability to blanket check physical setup sweepers like Zacian-C, Excadrill, and Gyarados that threaten Tyranitar. Toxapex, Ferrothorn, and Corviknight can pair well with Tyranitar on balance teams.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[bigtalk, 466663]]
- Quality checked by: [[Minority, 222996], [Nayrz, 212134]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Empress, 175616]]

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This mon is a SpD counterpart to Hippo that has a more interesting movepool. For structuring teams the most important aspect is fitting good ground checks, Corviknight being the most obvious.

Is running 52 Speed EVs (assuming Adamant) to outpace Corviknight, unboosted Gothitelle, and Centipede worth anything?

Rest on Tyranitar seems a bit unintuitive, especially when there are many strong offensive threats that can capitalize on a sleeping Tyranitar. I'm curious what the practicality of this is and how you get your ttar to wake up. Mons like G-max Snorlax run Chesto or you can potentially receive some kind of cleric support? I'd like to hear the perspective of someone who actually felt the need to detail their ttar with this move.

QC: 1/2

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
Is running 52 Speed EVs (assuming Adamant) to outpace Corviknight, unboosted Gothitelle, and Centipede worth anything?
Adamant is only run with Earthquake / Crunch / twave with no Flamethrower, which means you're kind of walled by Corviknight anyway so not much point in investing for it. If you do run Flamethrower, then you need to run Brave because -SpA sacrifices too much damage output on it. Gothitelle still outspeeds you unless it's already tricked its Choice Scarf away (I've seen people use Leftovers sets with Taunt > Trick, but Choice Scarf is the "standard" analysis set).
Rest on Tyranitar seems a bit unintuitive, especially when there are many strong offensive threats that can capitalize on a sleeping Tyranitar. I'm curious what the practicality of this is and how you get your ttar to wake up. Mons like G-max Snorlax run Chesto or you can potentially receive some kind of cleric support? I'd like to hear the perspective of someone who actually felt the need to detail their ttar with this move.
I decided to put Rest here because I saw it a couple of times on ladder, it also shows up in the monthly usage stats. Basically if you don't run it, then Cosmic Power Eternatus beats you very easily (ttar either gets pressure stalled slowly, or toxic stalled quickly). Rest is mainly going to be used on stall teams where you have stuff like Quagsire to negate ways the opponent might try to capitalize off of sleep turns, so imo the fact that it's a momentum drain shouldn't be that big of an issue. I'll mention Chesto as an item option; the only cleric I've seen so far is Umbreon, which I don't think you'd want to pair with ttar.

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Agree with the points, just trying to get the discussion out here. You don't have to mention Chesto if you don't want to.

Btw Umbreon does not learn Heal Bell in Gen 8.

Symphonic Sorcerer

Banned deucer.
I think Flamethrower doesn't get enough damage off on opposing Corviknight (252 HP/4 SpD). Fire Blast is probably a better option, as with just 12 SpA EVs, you are guaranteed to 2HKO it after it switches into SR. In that case, running enough Speed EVs to outspeed Corviknight is advisable, and allocating the rest into HP/SpD is desirable.

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
I think Flamethrower doesn't get enough damage off on opposing Corviknight (252 HP/4 SpD). Fire Blast is probably a better option, as with just 12 SpA EVs, you are guaranteed to 2HKO it after it switches into SR. In that case, running enough Speed EVs to outspeed Corviknight is advisable, and allocating the rest into HP/SpD is desirable.
The Fire Blast calc you mention only applies if you run Brave. If you run Brave, then it's not practical to invest enough EVs to outspeed Corviknight, so it's a catch 22.

This is too long for a preview... yeah ttar has a thousand options as usual but i think there's gotta be room to either slim this down or split the first into two paragraphs so its not a large wall of text. The problem is that as i read it there isn't enough that can be easily cut out, so i'm gonna have to ask that you look over this and see what can be made more concise. Reducing the explicit listing of targets might be a way of doing this. It's ok for descriptions to be barebones and generalized in a preview.

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
This is too long for a preview... yeah ttar has a thousand options as usual but i think there's gotta be room to either slim this down or split the first into two paragraphs so its not a large wall of text. The problem is that as i read it there isn't enough that can be easily cut out, so i'm gonna have to ask that you look over this and see what can be made more concise. Reducing the explicit listing of targets might be a way of doing this. It's ok for descriptions to be barebones and generalized in a preview.
Done

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
add remove comment
[SET]
name: Defensive Utility
move 1: Stealth Rock / Rest
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Flamethrower / Crunch
move 4: Crunch / Thunder Wave
item: Leftovers / Shed Shell
ability: Sand Stream
nature: Brave / Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 SpD

Tyranitar is a nice utility Pokemon that's able to set sand for Excadrill and check a few notable threats such as Eternatus and Dragapult. It makes for a decent Stealth Rock setter thanks to its natural bulk and offensive presence, although Rest can be used in place of Stealth Rock to give Tyranitar a form of recovery and let it sponge status moves such as Toxic from Eternatus. Earthquake 2HKOes offensive Eternatus and deals heavy damage to Zacian-C should it pivot in on a predicted STAB move. Flamethrower allows Tyranitar to pressure physically defensive Corviknight, a common Defogger, and ensures that it isn't Spikes fodder for Ferrothorn. Crunch is a decently strong STAB attack that hits Ghost-types like Dragapult super effectively and forces Gothitelle and Dugtrio to be wary of directly switching in directly. (subjective change) Alternatively, Thunder Wave is a nice utility option to annoy walls and cripple offensive threats. Stone Edge or Rock Slide can be used to hit Mandibuzz and Hydreigon, but other than those two, they don't hit many notable targets much harder than Crunch does. The given EV spread maximizes Tyranitar's offensive presence and allows it to survive three Life Orb-boosted Dynamax Cannons (That's the name of the move?) from Timid Eternatus after Leftovers recovery. Shed Shell should be used alongside Rest so that Tyranitar isn't left vulnerable to trappers like Gothitelle and Dugtrio while it's asleep. Smooth Rock is an option to give teammates like Excadrill more sand turns.

Excadrill is usually too good to pass up as a partner, as it can take advantage of the sand Tyranitar sets to revenge kill threats like Zacian-C and sweep the opposition. Ghost-types like Galarian Corsola and Aegislash have good type synergy with Tyranitar, as they can deal with Fighting-types like Zamazenta, (AC) (While we're here, I've been told that Zamazenta is irrelevant in Ubers; was I mistaken?) while Tyranitar can switch into Ghost- and Dark-type attacks for them. Quagsire is a great teammate for its ability to blanket check physical setup sweepers like Zacian-C, Excadrill, and Gyarados that threaten Tyranitar. Toxapex, Ferrothorn, and Corviknight can pair well with Tyranitar on balance teams.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[bigtalk, 466663]]
- Quality checked by: [[Minority, 222996], [Nayrz, 212134]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ]]
Easy again! GP 1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)