Tyranizard, King of the Kaijus (Dual Weather Balanced)

So after seeing some teams on this board using a combination of Charizard Y and Tyranitar, I decided to try it out for myself. This team has gone multiple revisions, but I think I've finally got a solid team together.
The Team

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

While I usually run Charizard as a special sweeper with Flame Charge, I opted for the Wallbreaker version because I have a special sweeper in the form of Latios. First two moves are standard for Zard Y. Together they can 2HKO most of the metagame. Focus Blast deals with Heatran and T-Tar, and Roost allows it to stay alive through a substantial part of the game, while also keeping it from being Sucker Punch fodder. I opted not to run Dragon Pulse, as it wasn't even doing much damage to Dragon types given their bulk, and it was dying to quickly from switch-in damage and the occasional SR.

Defensively, Charizard works very well with Aegislash and Lanturn, with Aegislash absorbing rock type attacks, and Lanturn sponging Water, Ice, and Electric type attacks. Offensively, it works great with Tyranitar, destroying physical walls like Gliscor and Skarmory that give Tyranitar trouble. It also has good offensive synergy with Latios, for whom it can take care of Steel and Ice types.

Sup Bryan Cranston (Tyranitar) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

Because I wanted to maximize its offensive potential, I went with a scarfed set on Tyranitar, and use it as something of a revenge killer. Crunch and Stone Edge give STAB, Superpower is great for Excadrill, Heatran, other Tyranitar, among other Steel, Rock, and Normal typed threats. Ice Punch is for Ground/Flying types and Dragon types. With a Scarf, Tyranitar is able to deal with the likes of Volcarona, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Pinsir, Gyarados, and Salamence much more easily.

The team has several resistances where Tyranitar is weak. Tyranitar's Ground, Grass and Fighting weakesses are absorbed well by Charizard Y and Latios. Aegislash and Charizard Y can take it's Bug, Fairy, and Steel weaknesses, and Lanturn takes its Water and Steel weaknesses. Sometimes dual types can be trouble, such as Excadrill, but Mandibuzz's fantastic physical bulk is usually enough to deal with them.

Offensively, Tyranitar Ice Punch and Superpower allow Tyranitar to work very well with Latios and Charizard Y. Ice Punch destroys dragon types like Dragonite, Garchomp, and Goodra which wall Charizard Y, while Superpower is great for dealing with Steel, Ice, Ghost, and Dark types Latios has trouble with. As a physical attacker, Stone Edge and Crunch can also deal with specially bulky pokemon like Tentacruel.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 8 Spd / 252 Def / 248 HP
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Taunt
- Foul Play

My physical wall and lead. I chose Mandibuzz because I need a defogger to compensate for Charizard Y's SR weakness. Additionally, I've had fantastic experience with it's mixed bulk, allowing it to take hits from minor special threats. Roost is for recovery, and Taunt allows Mandibuzz to lead effectively against bulky and supportive leads. Foul Play is my team's one defense against set up sweepers, though it is also able to do substantial damage to leads such as Mamoswine, Garchomp, and Landorus-T.

It's main check is special Ice, Electric, and Fairy types, and in this regard it works very well with both Lanturn and Aegislash, who take little to no damage against such attacks. Lanturn notably completely shuts down Rotom-W.

I have run Knock Off in this spot in the past, and while it is great for AV and Eviolite users, my team's weakness to set up sweepers leads me to use Foul Play instead.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- King's Shield
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

The main reason I chose Aegislash here is because it works so well with Mandibuzz and Charizard. For Offensive Aegislash (I've had great luck with SubToxic as well), I've historically had the best luck with this set up tank set. With this, Aegislash can do massive damage after only one boost, and can even sweep late game with Shadow Sneak. With Lanturn spreading paralysis, Boosted Sacred Sword can also get some OHKOs.

Mandibuzz is fantastic for absorbing it's Dark, Ghost, and Ground weaknesses, and my team doesn't have a dearth of Fire resistances. Sacred Sword also provides much needed Fighting type coverage for the team.

Boeing (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind

Latios is a pokemon I haven't used much in the past, but adding it to this team has made a world of a difference. Here it functions as a special sweeper. It's high speed allows it to revenge kill several threats to my generally slow team, and it's unique typing and ability gives it key resistances where my team suffers weaknesses (Ground, Electric, and to an extent Fighting). Draco Meteor and Thunderbolt are my standard coverage moves. Psyshock is chosen over Psychic, as it allows Latios to 2HKO Blissey and other specially defensive pokemon that Latios couldn't touch otherwise. I went with Calm Mind over HP Fire or Surf after I my team was completely walled by a Chansey. Additionally, Surf is nerfed in the sun, and HP Fire doesn't fill in any lack of coverage elsewhere on the team.

Latios's coverage and speed give it fantastic synergy with Charizard Y. It is able to KO several Dragon types like Dragonite and Garchomp, and Psyshock + Calm Mind deals with the blobs. It is also able to deal with Tentacruel and Mega Venusaur much more effectively than Charizard Y can, especially with its Water and Grass resistance. It can also take care of the fighting types that can be trouble for Tyranitar and Lanturn.

Lanturn (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

While it's an unconventional option, Lanturn is chosen here not as a poor man's Rotom-W, but as both an electric immunity and a status clearer. I go with EVs in Def and SDef rather than HP because it is important for Lanturn to be able to sponge a variety of hits.

Heal Bell is to clear status. Swagger and Thunder Wave are to threaten or even incapacitate opposing pokemon, such that it's not set up fodder or an easy kill. Swagger is opted for over another coverage move such as Scald or Ice Beam simply because Lanturn has rather weak attacking stats, so they wouldn't be able to deal with bulky ground types well. Volt Switch maintains momentum. The combination of T-Wave, Swagger, and Volt Switch also allow Lanturn to function as a decent pivot.

It's key Ground weakness is dealt with well with the 3 airborne Pokemon, while it's Grass weakness is resisted by 4 members of the team. Lanturn's ability to spread paralysis helps compensate for my slower team, while the ability to provide momentum through a slow Volt Switch allows my sweepers to come in safely.

Issues
The main threats my team has trouble with are Chansey, Mamoswine, and Set-Up Sweepers, most notably Dragon Dance users. Chansey walls every non-boosted Sp. Atk I have, so aside from CM on my Latios, I can't do anything about it until the end of the game. Mamoswine, while checked by Charizard Y, can do massive damage to my team, and for set up sweepers, unless I can KO with Foul Play, I tend to get in real trouble.

Another problem I have what to do with Tyranitar. While the scarf works decently on it, it's still too slow to outspeed some faster pokes w/o boosts. I've tried an AV, but I really want to run max Atk EVs, which limits the potential of the AV. If I don't run full attacking stats, my only main physical attacker is Aegislash, who needs to set up.

Lastly, my team isn't a huge fan of Fairy types. Clefable and Togekiss often run status moves that can severely hamper the effectiveness of Charizard Y, which is my main check for them. Lanturn can also paralyze them, but besides that, they can be trouble.

Lastly, Gliscor can be trouble. While Latios and Charizard Y can OHKO it, it generally switches out before that can happen, and it hard counters Aegislash and Lanturn.

Wow that's my most detailed RMT yet. Please let me know what I can do to improve either my team or my RMT as a whole.

EDIT 1:

After some input, I changed the following members of my team to:

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 8 Spd / 252 Def / 248 HP
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Whirlwind
- Foul Play

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head

Latios (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind

By far the most concerning issue with my team now is AV Conkeldurr. All of my offensive pokemon are weak to Knock Off, Drain/Mach Punch, or Stone Edge/Thunder Punch. Mandibuzz can't really threaten it, and Lanturn can only make it stronger with Thunder Wave. Right now the best I can hope for is to whittle it down enough that Fire Blast takes care of it.

Last edited:
Is there any reason why TTar is using a Scarf?

I definitely think you should replace the Scarf with a Band.

If you make this replacement, then I also think you should replace Crunch with Pursuit, so you can use it as a psuedo-trapper for issues like the Lati's, Jellicent, and other various Psychic/Ghost mons. You don't lose any power and definitely will kill anything that can would escape.

If set up sweepers are a weakness of your team why not run whirlswind over taunt on mandibuss. Since you can defog hazards away it isnt that big of a deal to lose taunt

If you want a calm minding lati then Latias is your guy(girl) it has superior bulk allowing it to set up easier while it does lose a tad bit of firepower is it really that apparent at +2?

Is there any reason why TTar is using a Scarf?

I definitely think you should replace the Scarf with a Band.

If you make this replacement, then I also think you should replace Crunch with Pursuit, so you can use it as a psuedo-trapper for issues like the Lati's, Jellicent, and other various Psychic/Ghost mons. You don't lose any power and definitely will kill anything that can would escape.
without scarf bisharp is a kinda big problem for this team so i definetly recommend keeping it

without scarf bisharp is a kinda big problem for this team so i definetly recommend keeping it
Bisharp struggles against any Mandibuzz sets.

And if you are worried about Bisharp out speeding Mandibuzz, then you can always tailor Mandibuzz's speed for it to be faster then Bisharp. You could even switch Taunt with Whirlwind.

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 126-149 (29.7 - 35.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

And I echo the sentiment of replacing Taunt with Whirlwind. It stops Setup Sweepers while Mandibuzz only has to take one hard hit from them, which it can roost the following turn.

Try DDTar. It has the speed boost, you get an item, lose a move, AND get an attack boost. Also, this team seems T-Tar weak. To fix that, I recommend using Ferrothorn>Aegislash. Thanks for reading!

Thanks so much, sorry it's taken so long to reply, my computer's graphics card broke, so I've been unable to get on for a few days. I've made a few changes per the suggestions on this board.

For Tyranitar, I tried a Band, but as Cherub Agent said, I had trouble with Bisharp among several other pokemon. I switched it back to a scarf since. I would consider DDTar, but my T-Tar hasn't forced many switches, and I don't see it as getting much of a chance to set up. Additionally, having a pseudo revenge killer on my team is really nice.
For Mandibuzz, I gave it Whirlwind, and switched to Knock Off at first, but switched back to Foul Play, as it generally does more damage.
I really don't know what to do about Aegislash. Ferrothorn is a tempting suggestion, but the 2 biggest reasons I'm running Aegislash are Priority and Fighting immunity, which Ferrothorn doesn't really offer. That said, I did switch Aegislash from Sacred Sword to Iron Head, as despite the lesser coverage, I needed more power. But I'm very open to replacing Aegislash, as it's been a less than stellar member of my team, I just would really like Priority and Fighting immunity on this team.

IMO, try Crumbler Aegislash. I have no idea why people still use the Swords Dance set. Its basically neutered by Physically Defensive Rotom-W, an extremely common mon, which can then burn it. For calculations

+2 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 109-130 (35.8 - 42.7%) -- 94.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery.

Crumbler set is basically Shadow Ball over Swords Dance, and a Nature Change. You could also try Spooky Plate or Life Orb instead. Generally, I think running Quiet with 252 SpA is preferred.

IMO, try Crumbler Aegislash. I have no idea why people still use the Swords Dance set. Its basically neutered by Physically Defensive Rotom-W, an extremely common mon, which can then burn it. For calculations

+2 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 109-130 (35.8 - 42.7%) -- 94.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery.

Crumbler set is basically Shadow Ball over Swords Dance, and a Nature Change. You could also try Spooky Plate or Life Orb instead. Generally, I think running Quiet with 252 SpA is preferred.
I've run both sets in the past and they are both good for different things. The SD set is a good late game cleaner, while the Crumbler set is more all around. For this team I distinctly needed a physical attacker, so I did try switching out SD for Iron Head, Sacred Sword, and Shadow Sneak, but after playing a few games it didn't seem to have enough power for what I was looking for, so I guess I wanted a late game cleaner. I'll give Shadow Ball a shot though.

Rotom-W's not an issue because all of its sets are hard countered by Lanturn, it's checked by Charizard Y and Latios

EDIT: Yup, Crumbler is actually working much better.

Last edited:
Give lanturn scald over swagger in the hopes to cripple psyical attackers on the switch instead of accidentally giving out free boosts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)