U-Turn It Out (Another OU Team)

I revamped my old OU team a LOT, so I want to know what I can do to make it better. As always, no essay rants or scores, let's get started.

Penisaur (Venusaur) (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll ---> Thick Fat
EVs: 188 SDef / 252 HP / 68 Def | Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed

Mega-Venusaur is, bar none, the best mixed wall of this generation. It has only two weaknesses, great defenses on both sides, and reliable forms of recovery in both Synthesis and Leech Seed. Synthesis is for immediate recovery, Giga Drain is for hitting stuff while gaining HP back, Sludge Bomb is for a more powerful STAB and hitting other Grass- types, and Leech Seed is for setting up on bulky walls (take that, Blissey!).

Sexcadrill (Excadrill) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef | Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

With four Stealth Rock weak Pokemon on my team, I knew that some form of hazard removal was absolutely necessary. Excadrill was my first choice, as it's the best offensive spinner available this generation. It can also use its beefy HP stat and stellar defensive typing to its advantage in setting up Rocks of its own easily, whilst keeping opposing hazards away with Rapid Spin. EQ is for STAB and hitting stuff hard, Iron Head is for taking out pesky Fairies.

Volcaboner (Volcarona) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spd | Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Roost

Volcarona can pull off a crazy Special sweep, sure, but this build is designed to take physical hits, eat up special hits, and heal it back with Roost. Quiver Dance is undoubtably one of the best boosting moves in the game; raising Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed in one turn is absolutely amazing, especially for a Pokemon like Volcarona. Bug Buzz is for STAB, and Fiery Dance is for hitting anything that resists Bug Buzz and fishing for a possible Special Attack boost.

Starfaptor (Staraptor) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def | Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- U-turn
- Close Combat

Staraptor with a Choice Scarf is not only a good revenge killer, but it also has enough power to KO many threats with its coverage moves. Brave Bird is extremely strong coming off of 372 base Attack and it also gets boosted by Reckless. Double-Edge is reserved for Electric-types that resist Brave Bird, U-Turn is for maintaining momentum, and Close Combat is for hitting Rock- types who resist Staraptor's STAB moves.

Tornanus-T (Tornadus-Therian) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd | Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Hurricane

Tornadus-T is a very reliable pivot with the combination of U-Turn and Regenerator. When I use U-Turn with Staraptor, I'll usually switch into this guy, get a few licks in, then U-Turn out. This forms a nice core with Staraptor, especially since it has Regenerator for gaining HP back once it uses U-Turn. Knock Off is for luring in Chansey and knocking off its Eviolite, and Superpower is for KOing it afterwards. Hurricane is for STAB, if I need it.

Kyurem-D (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 236 Spd / 4 Atk / 216 SAtk / 52 HP | Rash Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

Kyurem-B is a very scary mixed sweeper (mostly because it doesn't have a better physical movepool...), especially if it gets a Substitute up. Ice Beam is for STAB and hitting other Dragons among other things, Fusion Bolt is for having a physical move on the set to take advantage of Kyurem-B's terrifying 170 base Attack, and Earth Power is for hitting basically anything that Ice Beam and Fusion Bolt don't already hit, like Heatran and Rotom-Wash (Teravolt lololololol).

Last edited:
Since your team is not relying on rain I think you could avoid a lot of headaches by running Airslash over Hurricane on Tornadus. Your team has a killer stealth rock weakness that Adamant Excadrill alone will often have a hard time dealing with. I think adding a Scizor or Empoleon with Defog could work well.

Your team has a killer stealth rock weakness that Adamant Excadrill alone will often have a hard time dealing with. I think adding a Scizor or Empoleon with Defog could work well.
I thought Defog Scizor with U-Turn was really good idea because it lends itself to the U-Turn core. So, I decided to replace Kyurem-B with this...

Circumscizor (Scizor) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 Spd / 252 Atk / 252 HP | Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit

Scizor provides another form of hazard removal to counter my team's noticeable Stealth Rock weakness and also lends itself quite nicely to the U-Turn core I have going on. It has enough HP investment to be able to easily remove hazards and deal some damage at the same time. U-Turn is for maintaining momentum and joining the U-Turn bandwagon, Bullet Punch is for a strong priority move, Pursuit is for Pursuit-trapping many Pokemon that would give my team trouble, like the Lati twins.

The main downside to this change is that my team has a striking lack of Ice- and Electric- coverage, which will be important for dealing with Dragons. I guess I'll see how this works for now.

Hey Ze Diglett, very nice team you have here.

Before your post, I was writing this as you posted, I was going to suggest replacing Tornadus-T for the following:

Latias @ Life Orb
EV: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Ability: Levitate
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish / Recover

Though I do very much like the addition of Scizor to your team, I feel that Tornadus-T or Staraptor are the problem here as both are exactly the same typing and thus, losing 25% on the switch.

I suggest removing Tornadus-T seeing as your team is already heavy on the Special Attack Side with Volcarona, M-Venusaur and Mixed Kyube.

Though you can choose to drop Staraptor in favor of either Scizor or Latias, I feel that your team would be suspectable to not only Stealth Rocks, but also SpD Walls like the Pink Blobs, Goodra, etc...

Also, since your team has 4, though adding Scizor or Latias makes it 3 but still garners mentioning, Stealth Rock weak pokemon that means half-your team is Stone Edge/Rock Slide weak; making it difficult to counter things like Mega Garchomp and to a lesser extent Mega TTar.

Even with the addition of Scizor look at these Damage Outputs for Mega Chomp versus your team:

252 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor in Sand: 174-205 (50.5 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Staraptor in Sand: 464-548 (148.7 - 175.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-T in Sand: 464-548 (155.1 - 183.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Volcarona in Sand: 984-1160 (315.3 - 371.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill in Sand: 786-926 (217.1 - 255.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 68+ Def Mega Venusaur in Sand: 187-222 (51.3 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

So your basically hoping that Stone Miss lives up to its moniker and misses, but that still isn't something I would want to bank on if I were you.

Ironically Latias outspeeds AND can OHKO Garchomp pre, post or same turn Mega so that another notch on Latias' belt:

252 SpA Latias Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Garchomp: 396-468 (110.6 - 130.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

These are my thoughts on the matter. Let me know what you think.

"Though I do very much like the addition of Scizor to your team, I feel that Tornadus-T or Staraptor are the problem here as both are exactly the same typing and thus, losing 25% on the switch."

Rafael mentioned the other thing. Mega Manetric can deal way too much damage to this team even with Venusaur being there. Gastrodon or Quagsire could handle most Manetric out there, while Gastro also dealing with scalds and other water pokemon. If you have to have more U-Turn users I would considering scarfed Diggersby. For your Scizor set you would be better off using roost over pursuit for longevity.

Hi Ze Diglett !

I agree with Rafael and Pkmdz. You should remove Tornadus-T for something else IMO. And as Rafael said your team is very weak to M-Garchomp... and still more to Scarf Garchomp ! Even Latias can't deal with him pretty well :

252 Atk Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 288-338 (95.3 - 111.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 428-506 (141.7 - 167.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So I would suggest to replace Scizor and Tornadus-T for Latias and a bulky Water type to counter Garchomp, Tyranitar... I'm thinking to a classic Rotom-W who can burn them and then switch to Venusaur or even stay if he can take some hits but Unaware Quagsire can be another good idea as you may have big difficulties against Belly Drum Azumarill if Venusaur is gone.

A last thing, Air Balloon > Leftovers on Excadrill as I think the recovery won't be very useful on him ( he is easily OHKO or 2HKO even after Leftovers so... ). And Air Balloon can help him against Gliscor who become useless if he just has Earthquake and allow you to set up SR safely.

Hoping I've been useful and I wish you good luck with this team !

Hi Ze Diglett !

I agree with Rafael and Pkmdz. You should remove Tornadus-T for something else IMO. And as Rafael said your team is very weak to M-Garchomp... and still more to Scarf Garchomp ! Even Latias can't deal with him pretty well :

252 Atk Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 288-338 (95.3 - 111.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 428-506 (141.7 - 167.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So I would suggest to replace Scizor and Tornadus-T for Latias and a bulky Water type to counter Garchomp, Tyranitar... I'm thinking to a classic Rotom-W who can burn them and then switch to Venusaur or even stay if he can take some hits but Unaware Quagsire can be another good idea as you may have big difficulties against Belly Drum Azumarill if Venusaur is gone.

A last thing, Air Balloon > Leftovers on Excadrill as I think the recovery won't be very useful on him ( he is easily OHKO or 2HKO even after Leftovers so... ). And Air Balloon can help him against Gliscor who become useless if he just has Earthquake and allow you to set up SR safely.

Hoping I've been useful and I wish you good luck with this team !
Adrima: Long time no speak. How you doing?

On a more serious note, I would 1000% endorse either Classic Rotom-W or, my boy, Unaware Quagsire. Also agree with the Air Balloon as Excadrill with Lefties just doesn't seem optimal.

The Scarf Chomp can be problemeatic but at that point, he at least can't flip-flop with Edge-Quake coverage since he's locked into a move.

Ze Diglett: If you want any assistance with sets let me know.

Happy Battling ya'll.

First of all, thanks for the awesome feedback, guys.

Regarding Rafael's post, I decided to replace Scizor with the Latias set he posted since three hazard removers would be rather redundant and since I already have Bug- and Steel- coverage.

I also replaced Tornadus-Therian with standard Rotom-Wash for reasons already said by Adrima, and because it gets Volt Switch, which lends itself nicely to the core.

Now, I'm thinking about what to do for Excadrill; I put Air Balloon on it for the immediate Ground- immunity which can allow it plenty of safe switch-ins. Now I'm thinking I should put SD on it over SR because I already have a defogger, so my Rocks might just end up getting defogged out by Latias.

Tell me what you guys think about these changes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)