Uber Team (Featuring Three Non-Legends)

I like this team a lot and it has gone through extensive tweaking, but it has some pretty gaping weaknesses. Still, it's very competitive for something without the usual Giratina, Kyogre, etc.

Latios @ Soul Dew
Timid, 6 HP/252 Speed/252 Sp. Attack
Draco Meteor
Thunder
Grass Knot
Memento

I started off the team based around wanting to use Latios as a starter, and this guy is a real champion. Memento is to give a near dead Latios something to do after a Draco Meteor kill. It may seem like a useless move, but it sets up Tyranitar to survive a hit while Rock Polishing.

Mewtwo @ Choice Specs
Timid, 42 HP/216 Speed/252 Sp. Attack
Aura Sphere
Ice Beam
Shadow Ball
Thunder

Basically the uber equivalent of Specs Lucario, except with speed to back it up. He is an excellent anchor to the team and can force switches, revenge kill, and even sweep in the later stages of the match. Also, he has an easy time finding opportunities to come in off a slow Scizor U-Turn or after Smeargle dies.

Rayquaza @ Choice Band
Adamant, 252 Attack/252 Speed/6 Sp. Def
Outrage
Extremespeed
Earthquake
Rain Dance

Choice Banded Outrage has a really good chance of killing Giratina, who causes major problems for this team. Extremespeed let's him pseudo-revenge kill as well. Rain Dance is a filler move to clear an opposing Sandstorm to allow Smeargle to operate.

Scizor (Technician) @ Expert Belt
Adamant, 176 HP/100 Attack/56 Speed/176 Sp. Defense
Pursuit
Quick Attack
Roost
U-Turn

This guy fills a much needed void in the team, being able to come in on quite a few attacks and hit hard from the physical side. I don't really know what else to say, it's pretty straight-forward.

Smeargle (level 5) @ Focus Sash
Natures/IV don't matter
Trick Room
Spore
Endeavor
Dragon Rage

This guy really wreaks havoc on unprepared teams. Stealth Rock completely destroys him, but once you clear their team of Giratina (no easy feat) then little stands in Smeargle's way. Everyone has seen it before, but of course you bring him in midgame after someone dies, live through the hit and Trick Room, Spore, and proceed to Endeavor/Dragon Rage. Usually Endeavoring twice in a row is the best route, because even if they don't switch out you'll be able to finish them off with Sandstorm.

Tyranitar @ Life Orb
Hasty, 232 Attack/48 Speed/228 Sp. Attack
Rock Polish
Crunch
Ice Beam
Flamethrower

This guy really ties everything together. Ideally, he comes out as a surprise in the very late game, after Smeargle has done his thing. First, Sandstorm will finish off anyone who was hit with Endeavor. Next, he should be able to get a Rock Polish off if he was set up by a Latios Memento. The nature/EV spread allows you to get to 374 after a speed boost, outspeeding stuff like Darkrai. Even without Rock Polish sweeping, he's still very sturdy and can switch in on a good number of attacks. I used Pursuit over Flamethrower for a while, but either way you'll mainly be Crunching/Ice Beaming. If anyone has a superior nature/EV spread suggestion for him, I'd love to hear it as I'm not entirely convinced the one I have is optimal.

On a side note, this team unintentionally meets the Item Clause. Darkrai starters (which have seemingly increased in popularity as of late) are really difficult for this team to play against, as are most status effects in general since nobody on the team has Rest or Taunt. Anyone who poses the threat of Stealth Rocking requires extreme prediction to play against, though sometimes you can still salvage Smeargle by switching him in on the turn that they use it. Anything that hits hard and has Choice Scarf also is a pain, since Mewtwo and Latios rely on outspeeding things with max speed natures since their special attacks are already buffed by items. Giratina is the number one threat to this team since he shuts down Smeargle completely, wrecks Tyranitar with a WoW, and can come in on an immune attack from both choice users. Due to this, the three main early game attackers all feature a move to hurt him severely (Latios -Draco Meteor, Rayquaza- Outrage, Mewtwo- Ice Beam), so with a little bit of prediction you can put a serious dent in him.

Overall, it requires a lot of prediction skills (and quite a bit of luck) due the majority of the team being a) relatively fragile or b) choice locked, but it is a very competitive team considering that it has three non-legends.

I wouldn't describe any team using a FEAR Smeargle as competitive. You're lacking in defense, a Giratina would help you out over that gimmick. Smeargle might work really well against noobs and scrubs but any decent player will instantly realize what Smeargle is doing if he's playing in ubers and frankly it's not that difficult to counter. Priority move = GG. If your opponent has stealth rock on his team, you're instantly down 5-6. You've even got a fairly gimmicky Ttar set there that will further screw Smeargle with his auto sand. Justify those moves with calculations, what exactly is ttar killing with ice beam in ubers? Probably not L@tias, so Rayquaza? Even then I'm doubting that Rayquaza is going to be OHKO'D by a ttar ice beam. I can sorta understand flamethrower because both of the bug/steels aren't uncommon in ubers and both of them have craptastic sp. def to match ttar's craptastic sp. atk, but in general ttar seems suboptimal.

Thanks for the insightful input of "add a Giratina" and pointing out the things Smeargle is weak to that I already touched upon.

Also, why the hell would T-Tar be Ice Beaming Latias when Crunch is STAB and equally super effective?

The Latios starter is cool, I don't see many people starting him compared to the other more popular starters.

I have to agree on the Smeargle comment. Anyone with rocks on their team make it automatically 5-6. Also most teams carry Giratina and he stops your endeavor. You may not like Giratina, but I think he is almost basically a "staple" for UBERS there really isn't another pokemon that can cover his role.

One last thing, your Mewtwo should be shiny so it can do more damage.....

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As you said in your original post, status could be pretty hard for this team. I suggest a status absorber. Popular ones include, Sleep talk Dialga/Kyorge/Giratina. I have Also seen Sleep talk Hera and Tran though

Ignore everyone's post on how bad your smeargle is. That smeargle is probably more threatening than any kyogre or rayquaza if you know how to use it. Also for the fyi, giratina isn't nearly as common as the other ubers.

I'm not a real fan of scizor though. You're probably going to use that for darkrais and lati@s, but the thing is that it's good for maybe one switch in, and then after that it's in ko range. The time for you to roost is much smaller than you think. Remember that scizor can't roost like others can (aka not gonna happen when a kyogre is right there ready to surf you). In this slot I suggest using some with the same function but with abilities to absorb status...an example being blissey.

On your mewtwo, I'd change it to hasty, drop either thunder or shadow ball, and add in selfdestruct if it's available (I have no idea what the dumb reason is on colin's decision to delete event moves but here I'm not sure if it is one of those).

At any rate, the ttar idea looks pretty iffy. What I would do is use smeargle as your starter so that your own sandstorm might not get in the way and that stealth rocks won't be a problem. Besides, you'll see a bunch of kyogres and groudons along the way, and they are perfect smeargle targets. After that will come the ttar thing...if it works. Also by doing this in the order I said, this will allow an extra moveslot for rayquaza.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)