SM Ubers Ubers (Balanced?) Attack team

|
|
|
|
|

Introduction

This is my first real attempt at a good team in competitive terms. I tried to balance it with pokemon that are strong against the most common types and such.

The Team

Naganadel @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: SpA 252 / SpD 4 / Spe 252
Timid
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Throat Chop
- Fire Blast

As with a lot of these pokemon, I chose Naganadel not only because I like them, but also because he's a pretty good pokemon as far as I know. He has Draco Meteor, because, well, it's the strongest dragon move he can have, and also can take care of a lot of dragon types pretty fast. Sludge Wave is there because it has a decent attack power but it can also poison pokemon, which is useful. Throat Chop is used against fairy types, who have a lot of moves involving sound. And finally, Fire Blast is so that I can have a fire move that isn't held by a pokemon weak to water. With a lot of the EVs, I used the Smogon recommendations as I don't know too much about EVs and IVs as a whole.

Xerneas @ Bright Powder
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: Def 4 / SpA 252 / Spe 252
Modest
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Horn Leech
- Thunder

Xerneas is my main Fairy, and her move set is spread out to cover a lot of types that Xerneas herself isn't weak to. Being my main Fairy, she obviously has Moonblast, which happens to be the most powerful fairy move, but I'm sure you knew that. Focus Blast covers Rock, Bug, and Dark types, as well as being a generally good move and having the chance to lower the target's Special Defense. Horn Leech covers Water, Rock, and Ground, and also heals Xerneas. Thunder covers Flying and Water, and while not being effective against as many types as the other moves, it also has pretty good power and a chance to paralyze, which is always a plus. The Bright Powder is to help with any pokemon I come across that are strong against Xerneas.

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought / Desolate Land
EVs: HP 144 / Atk 156 / SpD 56 / Spd 152
Adamant
- Stealth Rock
- Eruption
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Tomb

Primal Groudon is my main Fire type, as well as having the Ground type of course. Stealth Rock is, of course, my main trap other than Venusaur's Leech Seed, and also is effective against other Fire types. Eruption is the strongest Fire move Groudon can learn, though of course it's power goes down with HP. Precipice Blades is there for its massive damage, being I believe the move with the highest attack power on this whole team (feel free to correct me though). Rock tomb is there because it is not only good against enemy Fire-types, but it also slows opponents down a lot. Both Groudon and Kyogre are primal because of the stat boosts (at least I'm pretty sure it boosts their stats).

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: HP 252 / Def 180 / SpD 76
Bold
- Leech Seed
- Toxic Moves
- Giga Drain
- Power Whip

Venusaur is on my team for the reason I imagine most people have a Venusaur, A healing/residual damage tank type. With two moves that deal damage at the end of every turn, and two moves that heal, Venusaur can use Leech Seed and Toxic as a set up, then use Power Whip's massive damage as a main attack move, then if he needs it, can use Giga Drain to quickly heal large amounts of HP, while still doing damage.
(Side note: Bulbasaur was my first pokemon and I have a strong attachment to him and his line.)

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: HP 252 / SpD 252 / Spe 4
Calm
- Heart Swap
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Magearna came from an event, so there wasn't much I could do with customization here, however, Magearna serves as my Steel type. Heart swap is great against opponents that lower stats, but I tend not to use it unless I have more debuffs then buffs. Fleur cannon is a powerful move, and after using it a lot, I can switch my debuffs to my opponent with Heart Swap. Volt Switch and Pain Split are used mostly when Magearna get's down to low health levels, as they are (probably) intended.

Kyogre @ Blue Orb
Ability: Drizzle / Primordial Sea
EVs: HP 32 / Atk 236 / Def 64 / Spe 176
Adamant
- Water Spout
- Liquidation
- Blizzard
- Thunder

Kyogre here follows a lot of the same attack reasons that Groudon had. Water Spout is the most powerful Water move Kyogre can learn, although it does go down with HP. Liquidation has an OK attack power, but it also has the chance of lowering the opponent's defense, letting everything do more damage. Blizzard is a heavy hitter when it comes to damage, but also has the chance of freezing the opponent, which is always a plus. Thunder is similar to Blizzard, but also follows Groudon's Rock Tomb in that it is effective against other Water-types.

Conclusion

So as I said earlier, this is my first attempt at actually trying to make a good team, and I'd love to hear your guys' feedback and reccomendations.

Insert Code Thing

Poison Bee (Naganadel) @ Dragonium Z
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Throat Chop
- Fire Blast

Bambi (Xerneas) @ Bright Powder
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Horn Leech
- Thunder

Landosaurus Rex (Groudon-Primal) @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 144 HP / 156 Atk / 56 SpD / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Eruption
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Tomb

Poison Frog (Venusaur) @ Venusaurite
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Giga Drain
- Power Whip

Mimic (Magearna) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heart Swap
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Geoffosaur (Kyogre-Primal) @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 32 HP / 236 Atk / 64 Def / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Water Spout
- Liquidation
- Blizzard
- Thunder

Last edited:
for naganadel, it seems very impractical to have throat chop JUST for sound moves. especially on fairies that could just go down to sludge wave anyway. the fairies immune to poison can't use sound moves anyway. dragonium z can be replaced by specs or scarf if you're planning on using draco meteor assumably to either wallbreak or revenge kill

horn leech on xerneas never thought i would see the day. replace that with hazard control which your team lacks that would be defog. scarf xerneas with defog may seem odd, but it works sometimes. besides bright powder doesn't seem very reliable only reducing accuracy by an itty bit

groudon looks like a utility set so instead of eruption use lava plume for a good chance to burn. you won't outpace too much with that speed anyway

if you like venusaur i guess it won't be too bad. try a more specially defensive set that's 252 or 180 sp def which is your call. whichever does better against kyogre i guess. having two grass moves is a poor choice especially if they're used just to damage. while i imagine you using venusaur as a switch in to kyogre and it having lower defense that sp def, giga drain is still your better option in that you can't use synthesis so well in rain while giga drain get anything even a little bit

magearna looks like your check to yveltal, but maybe use fairium z to get a fat hit on anything that switches in. though,

your team is kinda weak to p groudon so i think kyogre should be the check to that. the sleep talk set is good for longetivity and other shenanigans in ubers like toxic stall scald/origin pulse hits like truck and the former can leave burns and has higher PP. thunder is for lugias, yveltals, and other kyogres. calm mind can replace thunder if you want. ice beam is good too but it main hits dragons and grass types. make this guy bulky

this is what my knowledge permitted

(this is my version of your team)

Poison Bee (Naganadel) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Bambi (Xerneas) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Defog
- Thunder

Landosaurus Rex (Groudon-Primal) @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 144 HP / 156 Atk / 56 SpD / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Tomb

Poison Frog (Venusaur-Mega) @ Venusaurite
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis

Mimic (Magearna) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heart Swap
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Ice Beam

for naganadel, it seems very impractical to have throat chop JUST for sound moves. especially on fairies that could just go down to sludge wave anyway. the fairies immune to poison can't use sound moves anyway. dragonium z can be replaced by specs or scarf if you're planning on using draco meteor assumably to either wallbreak or revenge kill

horn leech on xerneas never thought i would see the day. replace that with hazard control which your team lacks that would be defog. scarf xerneas with defog may seem odd, but it works sometimes. besides bright powder doesn't seem very reliable only reducing accuracy by an itty bit

groudon looks like a utility set so instead of eruption use lava plume for a good chance to burn. you won't outpace too much with that speed anyway

if you like venusaur i guess it won't be too bad. try a more specially defensive set that's 252 or 180 sp def which is your call. whichever does better against kyogre i guess. having two grass moves is a poor choice especially if they're used just to damage. while i imagine you using venusaur as a switch in to kyogre and it having lower defense that sp def, giga drain is still your better option in that you can't use synthesis so well in rain while giga drain get anything even a little bit

magearna looks like your check to yveltal, but maybe use fairium z to get a fat hit on anything that switches in. though,

your team is kinda weak to p groudon so i think kyogre should be the check to that. the sleep talk set is good for longetivity and other shenanigans in ubers like toxic stall scald/origin pulse hits like truck and the former can leave burns and has higher PP. thunder is for lugias, yveltals, and other kyogres. calm mind can replace thunder if you want. ice beam is good too but it main hits dragons and grass types. make this guy bulky

this is what my knowledge permitted

(this is my version of your team)

Poison Bee (Naganadel) @ Choice Specs
Thanks for the suggestions, ill go try out your version and see if I can work it. I'm relatively new to knowing the metagame and stuff, so I really appreciate any and all feedback.

First thoughts:

Naganadel isn't strong enough to run an all out attacking set in Ubers, and there are basically no good sound moves around. Replace Throat Chop with Nasty Plot and it'll do a lot better.

Xerneas's strengths in ubers are its access to the incredible move Geomancy, and its great ability reducing its need for coverage. This set doesn't take advantage of either of these. Use Geomancy with Power Herb or Fairium Z, or use utility options like Aromatherapy, Defog or a Choice Scarf. Brightpowder is essentially a useless item, especially as Z-moves ignore it.

I like Rock Tomb Groudon as it helps this team not die to Salamence, but I would opt for more defensive EVs for that role.

Venusaur doesn't need two Grass attacks, and Giga Drain is much better than Power Whip. I'd replace Power Whip with either Sludge Bomb for STAB, Hidden Power Fire for Ferrothorn and Magearna, or Earthquake for Groudon. I am also a little dubious about not running Synthesis on a defensive set in this meta, as it's much more reliable recovery than Leech Seed.

The Magearna is good but it seems you dont know why. Mag's role in ubers is to check Xerneas - it basically does nothing else. Heart Swap lets you steal their Geomancy and volt switch to a threat. It can also help against more rare threats like Arceus-Flying but not often.

Kyogre only runs Thunder because the rain stops it from missing - the same does not apply to Blizzard. Use Ice Beam for better accuracy or Earthquake to stop Groudon switching in for free, and to take advantage of your attack investment to kill Necrozma-Dusk-Mane.

Overall though, this team dies to Extreme Speed Arceus, probably the most common pokemon in ubers. You probably want some kind of counter to it on here.

Overall though, this team dies to Extreme Speed Arceus, probably the most common pokemon in ubers. You probably want some kind of counter to it on here.
Most common pokemon in Ubers? Last I checked groudon-primal was around 3.5 times more common than arceus-normal... not like arceus-normal even deserves that much usage.

As for this team, sorry but it's garbage. There are no two ways about it. It loses 6-0 to groudon, the most common pokemon in ubers. It has no check for necrozma-dusk-mane either, which comes at second most used. It has three xerneas checks when even just one is enough. Naganadel is more of a meme than worthy of being called usable in Ubers. Mega-Venusaur IS a meme.

As for kyogre, water spout with 0 special attack investment and not jolly max speed? Same thing for groudon with eruption. You don't even have webs, so both of your primals, are basically useless. Modest Xerneas is... debatable, but bad in my opinion.

The only pokemon usable with the set you chose on this entire team is Magearna.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)