ORAS Ubers Ubers' Force of Gravity (with Hypnosis Mega-Gengar!)

upload_2015-3-10_18-59-58.jpeg

Hello everyone! It's Antacool, I'm pleased to present you a new Ubers team based around an almost never used move in Pokemon strategy : GRAVITY.

What is Gravity? During 5 turns, this move makes all pokemon grounded, including Levitate, Flying type, and Balloon users; and offers an accuracy boost of 1.67 to every moves. So a move with a 60% accuracy in Gravity will reach 100%. Hypnosis (60%) and Focus Blast (70%), for example, will always hit their targets.

To play around Gravity require extremely good predicts and mindgames, and it's very hard to profit of this move as it only lasts 5 turns and as Ubers is a very offensive pressured Metagame. However, some excellent Ubers Pokemon can benefit and abuse of this move (Mega-Gengar and Arceus-Ground)
I can't hide that building a working-well Gravity team is very complex and take me a lot of time, but I finally got some good results (1625 ladder) and very interesting matches with the following team.

Teambuilding:

My basic idea before building this team is to use one of the most broken Pokemon, if not the best, who really benefits Gravity: Mega-Gengar with Hypnosis and Hex. Thanks to Shadow Tag and excellent Speed (base 130), he's able to beat a huge amount of Pokemon who are not Scarfers neither Sleep Talkers. Shadow Tag makes Sleep Clause useless, and STAB 130 base power Hex deals evil damage to the asleep (or statused) Pokemon! Hypnosis has bad accuracy, as everyone know, that's why Gravity is here to solve this problem.

I needed some Gravity setters, I choose Jirachi first because he's one of the best Pokemon who has access to Gravity and U-turn. He also check greatly GeoXerneas, spread Paralysis and offers scouting which is great for Mega-Gengar and my other sweepers to come safely on the (Gravity) field, to avoid the waste of Gravity time as much as possible.

Another great Gravity setter is obviously Arceus. After I used a gimmicky mixed LO E-Killer with Blizzard, I choose Shrang's CM Gravity Groundceus after seeing his replay and He really conviced me. Well, He's a great Primal-Groudon check who can trouble my two first Pokemon, and a fast Gravity user which is important. I used to run Xerneas because He learns Gravity as well, but he doesn't really benefit as much this move except for hitting Focus Blast and Thunder all the time, and doesn't have Volt Switch neither U-turn. The difficulty is to not lose too quickly these setters, keep Arceus Ground as long as possible and you can also use it as a win condition.

Next is Kyurem-White. It's a great choice scarfer using Ice STABs to complete Ground in offensive typing. He is able to Revenge kill and take out key threats such as Mega Salamence and Rayquaza, and helps immensely against Darkrai and other fast Pokemon like Skymin, and other Groundceus. Spamming Ice Beam is quite good in ORAS, but spamming Blizzard under Gravity is even better :)

Who is the Stealth Rock setter? The best setter of the tier obviously, and a Pokemon who loves Gravity support to hit STAB Precipice Blades on every Pokemon with 100% accuracy. Primal-Groudon. A nice bulky offensive mon who always bring excellent utility like checking Primal Kyogre as well as being a secondary Xern check, it's useless to present Him again.

Some of you saw an E-Killer weakness. Others saw a Ground weakness. And some others saw some Ghost and Dark weaknesses. And again some others see the 3 problems at the same time. So here is my last Pokemon to complete the synergy of team, a Defensive Foul Play Yveltal. Everything is said, he supports the team by checking main threats named Giratina, Ekiller, Offensive Mega Salamence, and other offensive Groudons. The only problem is that he loses its ground immunity inside Gravity. You can say I'm too much optimist, but Yveltal still profit Gravity by using Toxic without any miss.

Other Ubers Gravity users in my knowledge are Xerneas, Ferrothorn, Palkia, Dialga and Mewtwo so if you have any preference please tell me if you prefer one of these instead of one of my members. Every comments are welcome!

Lets go down to the Gravity team! (and another bad pun)

upload_2015-3-10_19-58-17.jpeg

Real Nightmare (Gengar-Mega) @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hypnosis
- Hex
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Seriously, this is the main reason to ban Gengarite. Oh NO NO please don't!
Anyway, the Star of the team. Just setup Gravity, and place this monster. Mega-Gengar can use a speedy 100% accuracy Hypnosis, and thanks to Shadow Tag, the opponent can't switch out to get the Sleep Clause! Then Gar uses STAB Hex, reaching 130 Base Power thanks to the opponent's Status. Pretty unique but scary, isn't it? He is still countered by Scarfers, Sleep Talkers, Lum Berry users, and 1 turn Sleepers (FUUU). It's also a great Revenge Killer by eliminating Paralyzed Sweepers assuming they aren't Calm Minders (work previously done by Jirachi and Primal-Groudon). Focus Blast completes the coverage to hit Normal and Dark Pokemon super effectively, and never misses under Gravity, which is pretty awesome. Finally, Taunt is chosen to avoid any easy placement if Gravity finished and lets me deal with Chansey. Sometimes I miss Protect for E-killer and Darkrai but Taunt is the best filler in my opinion. Will-O-Wisp seems to be also a cool option.

You wished haxx (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Gravity
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head

Jirachi holding an apple. Gravity, Newton laws, you get it? :)

Jirachi is my Gravity setter who takes special hits pretty well. He can check Xerneas, Mega-Diancie, Arceus-Rock, some choice scarfers, Skymin, and some random Calm Minders. He has also a free day to setup against defensive Pokemon like Lugia and Ferrothorn. Other sweepers who want to setup are crippled by Thunder Wave assuming they are not Ground neither Electric type. Thunder Wave + Iron Head is the famous ParaFlinch combo who permit Jirachi to go offensive while recovering and eliminate GeoXerneas. Other than that, His main job is to setup Gravity and U-turn to an appropriate sweeper. Nothing to say more, don't hesitate to spam U-turn and get momentum if you predict a switch in like Primal-Groudon.

Shrang (Arceus-Ground) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Calm Mind Swords Dance
- Gravity
- Judgment Earthquake
- Recover

... hopefully, He got Gravity to spam STAB Judgment.

Thank you Shrang for that idea.
Ground-Arceus is the second Gravity user, his role is to put pressure early game and setup a speedy Gravity, and sometimes late game clean up. He checks pretty nicely Primal-Groudon and Thunder Wave stallers like Klefki. Gravity support the team and also permit Groundceus to hit everything in the meta with STAB Judgment, at least for neutral damage. If you don't decide to add a Grasseus or a Parasect in your team. Anyway, Calm Mind offers Arceus sweeping opportunities against Defoggers, and Recover helps Him stay as long as possible during the match.
Maybe Swords Dance + EQ over Calm Mind + Judgment could work there to get immediate great power but Burns are annoying. Perish Song/Wow for Roost DD Mega Salamence, or Defog to help Yveltal and Kyurem could be nice alternatives over Calm Mind.
After some very good advises, I finally decided to make Arceus Ground physical and opted for a SD+gravity set. Swords Dance helps Arceus to boost faster than Calm Mind and permits Him to hit hard quicker. Earthquake is Groundceus' best STAB and hits, under Gravity, everything in the meta. Earthquake does greater damage than Judgment to Ho-Oh which is important for this team.

upload_2015-3-10_21-54-59.jpeg

Icy Outrageous (Kyurem-White) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Turboblaze
Modest Nature
- Blizzard / Sleep Talk
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor / Sleep Talk
- Fusion Flare

Kyurem-White is an amazing Choice Scarfer and has a merit to be used more in ORAS, with all the Rayquaza, Lati@s, Yveltal, MegaMence and GroundCeus who are very common in the actual metagame.
Ice moves coming from a 482 Special Attack really hurt. Place it for example after U-turn or a KO then select the right move. Ice Beam is the main STAB, and under Gravity, Blizzard is and deals significant more damage. Two ice moves in a moveset looks strange but Kyurem-White doesn't really need other moves bar Draco Meteor and Fusion Flare, except maybe Stone Edge for Ho-Oh. Ice Beam is here just to make Kyurem White not to much Gravity dependent. Draco Meteor is here mainly for Darkrai outside of Gravity because Ice Beam doesn't OHKO, and is the best move against Primal-Kyogre. Fusion Flare destroys steels who resist Ice, like Klefki, Ferrothorn, and Scizor. Sleep Talk helps against Darkrai as no member will be rendered useless by Dark Void, so it's a nice option to consider.

Me again (Groudon-Primal) @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch Stone Edge
- Rock Polish / Thunder Wave

Primal-Groudon is the Stealth Rocks setter of the team. Desolate Land and nice dual typing let him do this easily. He can come on some various pokemon and setup quite easily. I you manage to put Primal-Groudon inside Gravity, he would be a monster with STAB Precipice Blades, because it hits every Pokemon, and more importantly Ho-Oh, and get an accuracy boost from 85% to more than 100%. Fire Punch is here to deal significant damage to most Pokemon if you don't want to miss Precipice Blades outside of Gravity. Stone Edge completes the EdgeQuake combo which is great for hitting flying type for super effective damage, and mainly Ho-Oh. To add, inside Gravity, Stone Edge never misses. With experience I prefer to run Thunder Wave over Rock Polish because I put enough pressure with Mega-Gengar to create holes. Thunder Wave let stop DD Mega Salamence in its sweep and neutralizes Pokemon to Revenge Kill them with Mega-Gengar later. However, if you want to try a semi sweep under Gravity with this monster, go for Rock Polish. 96 EV in Speed is to speed creep Yveltal and other bulky Groudon.

Ynot be creative (Yveltal) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Toxic / Sucker Punch
- Roost

A huge pillar of my team, and sometimes I ask too much to Him. Defensive Foul Play Yveltal makes an incredible work in my team because he checks Giratina and eliminate Physical sweepers with Black Glasses Foul Play. Black Glasses is the chosen item just to ensure some OHKOs on Arceus with Stone Edge, who doesn't fear the recoil of Rocky Helmet. Toxic let me punish switch-ins who doesn't fear Foul Play like support Arceus (and especially for Calm Mind Ground Arceus who can threaten to sweep my whole team), Xerneas, and opposing Yveltal. Sucker Punch could be used instead to add priority which is a good point for dealing with MMY and Deoxys-A. Roost for recovery. I added a very useful move in its set named U-turn, to complete an U-turn duo with Jirachi who both have correct typing synergy together. U-turn is once again here to offer a placement for my sweepers and get momentum. As I said, beware of its loss of Ground immunity inside Gravity, he would be less effective against pokemon like Groudon-Primal.

Threatlist:

- Darkrai : no sleep absorber, Scarf Kyurem-White is the only good response to it.
- Deoxys-A : Ugh, Knock Off versions really hurt. No priority on my team means he's annoying.
- Ho-Oh : annoying when coupled with a Defogger, I only can take a limited number of banded hits.
- Sticky Web : these teams take advantage of Gravity in their side, pretty hard to play against
- LO Yveltal
- Ice Beam / Fire Blast Mega-Mewtwo Y, pretty rare still
- Mega-Salamence sometimes
- CM Arceus Ground, Electric and Dark

Replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-216602289
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-216614569
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-216826531
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-217098638
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-216603985

(last replay: against Sticky Web)

Did you like Gravity? leave a like, any comment, or any suggest, or a note /10, anything but I just wanted to build fun stuff and make Ubers an even more interesting metagame.
So I used Gravity, I'm down, and I'm waiting a plethora of your comments falling down.

Thank you to read my RMT :)

Last edited:
Pastebin:

You wished haxx (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Gravity
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head

Shrang (Arceus-Ground) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gravity
- Earthquake
- Recover

Real Nightmare (Gengar-Mega) @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Hex
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Icy Outrageous (Kyurem-White) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Turboblaze
Modest Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Fusion Flare

Ynot be creative (Yveltal) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Toxic
- Roost

Me again (Groudon-Primal) @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave

Last edited:
Cool team! Very creative and original idea, and overall pretty solid. However you can change some things to check those in your threatlist better.

Primal Groudon for example can run Stone Edge to hit Ho-oh.
"Fire Punch is here to deal significant damage to most Pokemon if you don't want to miss Precipice Blades outside of Gravity."
I don't think this is the best reason, 85% chance is still pretty solid and it very rarely comes into play anyway since the team is centred around Gravity. This can be replaced with Stone Edge to deal with Ho-oh better, and gives all around better coverage. The things Fire Punch hits aren't too common in this metagame anyway, and most are gonna switch out regardless (Scizor, Ferro, Genesect). All of these are deadweight against P-Don and are 2HKOd, or in the case of Genesect, OHKOd. Stone Edge would also help the Mega Salamence problem and forms Edgequake.

I also feel like Blackglasses on one-dark-type-move Yveltal is sub-optimal. Leftovers would be better or Rocky Helmet. Blackglasses gets the gauranteed OHKO on Ekiller at +2, but Rocky Helmet does this too when it takes recoil from it. Helmet can also help dealing with Salamence a bit better. Leftovers would be good for better bulk overall, personal preference really.

Could also give Kyu-W Sleep Talk over Blizzard or Ice Beam (whichever one you use less). That way you can deal with Darkrai a lot better as you don't have to sack something to sleep. I guess if you have Gravity up more than you don't, replace Ice Beam. Otherwise, I don't think Blizzard's slightly higher power is worth / clutch enough to justify sacrificing the slot for Sleep Talk.

Hope I helped! :)

Interesting strategy, can't say I've ever seen a gravity team in ubers (Most ubers these days are ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!!!) The actual concept is very well thought out.
Good luck in battles, and keep those gravitated PKMN safe!

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Not much to say, due to lack of time (and willingness :x) but what I do say is this - the concept behind the team is awesome, and is executed really nicely, and you did a great job of making the RMT fun to read. While I don't have any suggestions for the team itself, one think you might enjoy toying around with is Toxic Spikes + Hex, or even throwing Toxic Spikes somewhere on this team.

Good luck n_n

A very creative team for sure. As for some of the tough threats you mentioned, I have a few suggestions that you can consider.

1. If Ho-Oh can come in on you safely (especially when Gravity isn't in effect), it really poops all over you. I think Stone Edge on Groudon is a reasonable change. It gives Groudon a powerful way of discouraging Ho-Oh from switching in even outside of Gravity (quite a few Ho-Oh variants don't care THAT that much about being T-waved, it's not that fast to begin with). It also gains perfect accuracy in Gravity which is another plus.

2. As Dilwar mentioned above, Yveltal's mono Dark move with Black Glasses is a little bit of a waste. I would suggest choosing Sucker Punch over Toxic. It gives you a great weapon against LO Deoxys-A and does a respectable 41.6% to 49.2% to 0/0 Mega Salamence (I think you do run the risk of being overwhelmed on the physical side) and usually 2HKOs 252/0 Primal Kyogre, which could be troublesome if it comes in on PDon after PDon gets a kill (Kyurem-W is still 2HKOed by Origin Pulse despite the resistance).

3. I'm gonna second Dilwar in suggesting a slot for Sleep Talk on Kyurem-W at least as a band-aid to Darkrai. But I feel like this member could potentially be replaced. What I'm thinking (just thinking, not suggesting) is perhaps a Choice Scarf Xerneas with Sleep Talk, Moonblast, Focus Blast and Thunder (the last two moves both enjoy the accuracy boost from Gravity, or you can find a slot for Megahorn if you really find MMY to be a problem >.>). It checks Darkrai, and also helps against LO Yveltal (at least it fares better than Kyurem-W. Sucker Punch does roughly 60% to it, so it can't even revenge or at least force it out once it's taken some damage, e.g. two rounds of SR). The thing is I don't know what speed benchmark Scarf Xern should use anymore (now that Scarf base 90s are pretty rare), so I'm not too sure about the spread. But with 176 HP you are guaranteed to survive +1 Return from 252+ Mega Mence w/o SR, so we can revenge it if really needed.

Overall I think this team has a really cool concept, and your execution is sound. There are still some weaknesses, like Sticky Web / Suicide Lead HO that applies a lot of pressure on Yveltal, as well as offensive Yveltal, Ho-Oh and Primal Kyogre (I do think you apply enough pressure to be okay, but they could be very dangerous), but overall, well done sir!

Thank you a lot for your responses everyone :) great suggests, I made there some changes to improve a bit my team. Thanks for your help!
All my changes and justifications are presented in Black.
Some of you told about Xerneas, how about a set with Aromatherapy and Gravity, to support my team? If you have any ideas, I would be please to get some new suggest and advises.

Xerneas @ Leftovers
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Gravity
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Toxic

Last edited:

Mr.378

The Iron Man of Ubers
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Posting PISTORERO's rate on his request.

I think that Gravity Xerneas is a good idea as it gives you another setter. The use of Gravity is a very innovative and interesting idea, which is no surprise coming from you.

Xerneas @ Leftovers / Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 140 Def / 176 SpA / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
- Gravity
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast / Thunder
- Thunder / Aromatherapy / Thunder Wave / Sleep Talk

Offensive Xerneas can take advantage of Gravity with 100% accurate Focus Blast and Thunder. Leftovers or Life Orb is up to you, as is the slashing. Thunder Wave alongside Hex Gengar is useful and also lets you slow down opposing switchins. Life Orb Thunder will 2HKO all Ho-Oh, 248 / 52 or not, and will not miss thanks to Gravity. The Defense benchmark is to survive +2 Life Orb Extremespeed after Stealth Rock, but it also helps against Ho-Oh. With Life Orb, you can bluff Scarf against Darkrai, but Leftovers gives Xerneas more survivability. You can even try Lum Berry, or Sleep Talk, or both, to better deal with Darkrai, although without Thunder Ho-Oh becomes a problem again. Xerneas also fixes the Arceus-Dark weakness you mentioned.

Something else I honestly think would be better is to run Swords Dance Arceus-Ground instead of Calm Mind. Swords Dance is much more threatening as it boosts faster, and you can still use Gravity in order to hit everything with Earthquake - Earthquake will OHKO Ho-Oh, for one, whereas Judgment will not, and +2 Earthquake also OHKOs Lati@s.

Last edited:
You definitely should use SD > CM here, I know burns are annoying but Stall teams can just cripple / wall Groundceus with Toxic Lugia, especially since you minimally invest in Special Attack. Gravity SD Groundceus is something I played around with last gen, it did a great job of pressuring Giratina-O (potentially allowing Kabutops / RP Don to have a field day) in addition to murdering the Lati twins. You desperately need a sleep absorber and Kyurem-W easily fits Sleep Talk on its set. Because Kyurem-W has excellent special bulk, you can switch in on Darkrai somewhat safely although Rocks can compromise its longevity.

Dice or some prude will probably kill you for running SR and Rock Polish on the same Groudon set, I don't mind it though. You can also try Toxic or Fire Punch on Don to slam switchin Groundceus with, as it's the biggest issue for your team at the moment. Toxic also nails Lugia, which walls much of your team.

As always, you have some cool ideas. I can see this team destroying balance but struggling vs Stall teams, but Stall isn't that common or that great on or off the ladder, so meh who cares. Thanks for sharing.

edit: are you raichushiny on PS by chance

Thanks for the suggests Mr.378 and Sweep!
LO Gravity Xerneas seems to be nice and polyvalent. I tried one with Moonblast, Thunder, and Sleep Talk; however I don't know which member to replace for Him. I tried to replace first Kyurem then Yveltal, but I really miss both them as they accomplish needed work in my team (help against HO mainly)
SD Groundceus is a really nice change. He's a really good late game cleaner.
Finally no, I never use Rock Polish on Pdon but Thunder Wave for Gar RK, however Toxic could be nice instead if I opt for Sucker Punch on Yveltal.

A little replay after the changes:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-217795633

I will continue to ladd seriously, and I hope for better chance compared with my recent matches >.>

Last edited:
Finally I keep all my 6 members and only changed Groundceus' set. My pastebin was updated.
I can't find at all a place for Xerneas or for any other mon who could be a 3rd Gravity user, because every member have crucial roles. So to resume my team:

2 stallers:
- SpDef wall : Jirachi (Gravity user)
- Phys wall : Yveltal
A defensive core who have both U-turn and have great defensive typing synergy together.
Yveltal sponges Dark, Ghost, and Ground (outside Gravity) for Jirachi, when Jirachi sponges Ice, Rock and Fairy for Yveltal.

1 Choice Scarfer
-Sleep Talk Kyurem-White
An Ice type Choice Scarfer is Absolutely needed in my team to deal with Darkrai, Groundceus, Yveltal and Dragons, who are the biggest threats. Choice Scarf Xerneas could be an alternative, but Ice type is better than Fairy because Ice deals more damage to Fly Pokemon, Ho-Oh, Arceus Ground and occasionnal Grass Pokemon, while still hitting Dragons super effectively. Ice + Ground is better offensively than Fairy + Ground.

1 Mega : 2nd Special Sweeper
- Mega-Gengar
The most broken Pokemon inside Gravity, everything is said.

2 Physical Sweepers

- Arceus Ground : speedy Sweeper (2nd Gravity user)
- Groudon-Primal : bulky SR sweeper + Para spreader
One physical Sweeper was not enough so SD Arceus was a slightly better choice than CM.

I think my team is optimized.
Thank you again to everyone :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)