Project Ubers Player of the Week · [Week #5: Thimo]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Fireburn

Banner by NicoReaper

Welcome everyone to the Ubers Player of The Week! For those who don't know what this is,it's a project where I interview top Ubers players who are well known and respected by the community, and have performed consistently well at a very high level. In addition to that you, will also have the chance to ask some questions to the interviewed person.
If you have a suggestion as to who I should interview, feel free to shoot me a PM. Anyways, lets get to it!

Thimo

Most Known For.

I'm probably most known for creating The infamous Evopass. The team that resulted into the Baton Pass ban in Ubers. Some people love me for it, and call me a genius, and some people hate me for it, and I don't blame them. Losing to Baton Pass can cause a huge mood drop. Other things I'm known for are Ditto Stall, Barbaracle, and other obscure stuff. One thing you all should note is that I did not create the famous Flyceus offense contrary to popular belief. All credits of that team goes to HunterStorm.

Favourite Pokemon.

My favourite pokemon has always been Pidgey. Ever since I played Pokémon LeafGreen version for the first time. This little bird has always been my favourite. It just looks so damn cool, and its cry is so damn cute. Even though it is competitively unviable in pretty much every tier and metagame. It remained my favourite pokemon over the years. I guess I have a thing for cute chicks.
Hello thimo! How are you and could you give a little introduction of yourself?

Hello, I am fine thanks. I am a competitive gamer from the Netherlands. I am 17 years old and currently doing my last year, provided I don't fail my exams, at high school. I currently do not know what I wanna do with my life, I might become a lawyer, because I'm good at finding mistakes in the system, and it earns a nice paycheck in my country. I mainly play Pokemon and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe competitively, but it isn't limited to those. I'm your average tryhard. I try to have the biggest advantage in every game, even if it ends up with me being looked down upon. I care little about the opinion of others regarding my way of playing a game. Other than games I watch TV a lot, I eat food obviously, and I like a party every once in a while.

Where did your username come from?

I was born with it. Thimo is my first name! Many ask me the following question: How do you pronounce my name? Well, it's simple, you say "tea-mo". When I chose my name on Pokemon Showdown I was suprised it wasn't taken yet. I'm also satisfied with the color of my username. On smogon I used to have ThimoTheUltimateBOBO as username, and I honestly don't know where that one came from, I was already owning the account Thimo at the time, and I thought I didn't have the account yet, but a namechange basically fused the accounts I suppose.

How and when did you get into competitive Pokemon, and the Ubers tier?

When I was 13 and about halfway into the first year of highschool. I suddenly needed a computer for this history assignment. I got this shitty old laptop from my dad. However, first thing I did it, was look up "online pokemon", as I really liked the cartridge games. I soon came by Pokemon Online, I downloaded it and I couldn't figure out where it went. So I soon clicked the link away, and found Pokemon Showdown. At first I was your average 1200 ELO Random Battles and OU player, with bad stuff like mixed Torterra. I'm using ELO here so newer people who are reading this have an idea about how bad I was, because I don't think they'd have an idea of a bad rating back in the day, as it was more than 3 years ago when they implemented ELO ratings. I soon started to get interested in some Other Metagames, mainly Hackmons, Balanced Hackmons, and Monotype, I got "good" quite fast I'd say. I started hitting top 20 in Balanced Hackmons at the time, and I was proud of it. I got into monotype, because in my first ladder game, I met this guy and he asked me to join his league as I was quote unquote pretty good. A league is basically a bunch of people acting like gym leaders and elite four members each specializing in one type. It does sound retarded and trust me, it is. I started playing Monotype for a good, 2, maybe 3 years. Once XY dropped, I started playing 1v1, because I got introduced to it on one of these sideservers with leagues. It was the first ladder I peaked 1 in. I was still playing Monotype at the time, but I quit Hackmons and Balanced Hackmons, because those two were ass in XY. Soon 1v1 introduced 3v3 preview, at that basically demotivated me from ever playing it again. It wasn't truly 1v1 anymore, no more changing up your set because some ladder player cteamed you. I basically didn't really come on the main server anymore. Then around February 2015, after hopping in and out of different sideserver leagues, I joined the Monotype room as a casual chatter. I found out they were doing these thrice per day tours which earned you points, I created probably the most notorious ORAS Monotype team, Stall Water, about 1 week before that. I dominated the leaderboards alongside 2 fellow league members, we ended up hitting first, second, and third overall for that month. I started to get noticed by bigger monotype players from that point. I got quite popular to say the least. There also was this one guy, quite controversial guy as he was probably the most hated guy in all of monotype. He was like, permalocked and such, but yeah, he hit me up for the Stall Water team, and I rejected him, but eventually we became friends. So we decided to ladder monotype together. We built some pretty dope teams at the time. Eventually we peaked 1 and 2 on the ladder with 2 alts, and we wanted to find a different metagame to play for fun. I suggested Anything Goes, and we got to like top 20 with a pretty shitty team, but I was impressed with this feat. So after laddering Anything Goes, I kinda went back to Monotype. School started again, and a friend of mine who also plays pokemon, but more casually, wanted to go on Pokemon Showdown, and with my past in Anything Goes, I suggested we played that. So we laddered it on random alts for fun during school, and when I was at home, I hopped onto my high winstreak alt, was about 42-0, not too impressive, but yeah, eventually I ran into another player from the community, and he linked me to the Anything Goes discord, where I met a bunch of people, most of them still in the community. They were basically in groupchats to get their own room, which they got very shortly after I joined. However, during the groupchat period. I got a permalock up my sleeve. There were passwords leaked of about 800 accounts and I changed some of them. Turns out its a permalockable offense. So yeah I had to wait 3,5 months before it got off, however, I kept playing Anything Goes, and kept my friends on Discord. So about 10 days after my permaunlock, I got voiced in the Anything Goes room, because I was a nice contributor for the metagame and the room. I quit monotype at the time because it was getting shitty. So I wasted most of my time playing Anything Goes, won the last Gen 6 tour as well, and I basically raised to be the best Anything Goes player. Gen 7 was coming soon, and Gunner hit me up, saying I should play Ubers once the new generation dropped. I had a lot of potential according to him. I followed his advice, as he was a respected player in the Ubers community, and I started playing it, a bit under the radar. I wasn't playing Ubers full time, but I was creating alright teams. Then Evopass happened and my fame grew tremendously. I wasn't too good still as an overal player in the Ubers metagame, but I found time to dedicate myself to Ubers after Lance drafted me to The Burning Red White Kyurems in UPL, as I didn't really have a motive to play for. I did quite well in the second Seasonals tour of this year, reaching all the way to Loser's Semis from round 1 losers, which I got haxed out of. I was in the Loser's Bracket since round 1, as I didn't want to reveal my UPL teams, and I was forced to bring shitty teams. This is quite a long summary, but yeah, it sums up what I did the entire time on Pokemon Showdown, and how I got into Ubers.

What is your favourite playstyle, and why?

My favourite playstyle would be Stall. It's also the best playstyle by far. I like having an edge over the opponent. I'm a player of competitive nature. I'm not afraid to use stuff that would make people look down upon me. I feel more comfortable using fat teams, because you don't have to rely on reading the opponent as much. In certain matchups, you can win by playing safe. That's more often the case with Stall than Offense. I'm naturally a patient player. I'm willing to attend Stall wars, even if they might take more than 10 hours. I don't hate using Offense however. It's nice from time to time for a change, and it's not like I'm bad at reading the opponent.

You've been doing a great job in tournaments so far and you also performed quite well in your first UPL! Tell us about the experience, and how you prepared for your games every week.

I barely prepared for any games. In UPL I helped my teammates, mainly HunterStorm, rather than preparing myself. It did show on my end result, but I don't mind it. In seasonals I didn't really prepare either, nearly every round was a no john round, and again I helped HunterStorm prepare for his games.

Do you have a favourite Ubers game from any tour?

Yes I do, my game 2 against Gastrik in UPL. It was a nice and clean series. It was looking like Gastrik was about to win however. Until I pulled out the clutch Magic Coat on Arceus-Grass and the Ubers chat went nuts. It felt really good, not gonna lie.

Favourite underrated Pokemon, and why?

My favourite underrated pokemon is probably Tyranitar. It provides a team with a ton of stuff. Mainly a Gengar check, Ho-Oh check, Salamence check, and Yveltal check. Setting the Sandstorm weather is also pretty big. It can easily shave off Soft-Boiled's and Recover's power points from Blissey, Chansey, and Sableye respectively. Tyranitar can be very versatile I'd say. Some maybe wouldn't agree with me however, but that's their fault for not seeing the versatility in Tyranitar.

What do you think of bans in Ubers, and do you think you ruined the tier by creating the broken Baton Pass team?

I think Mega Rayquaza does deserve a ban. It has more sets than even Primal Groudon. All sets, or a majority of it, can't be checked with a single pokemon, it's ability to hold an Item whilst mega'd makes it good. Mega Salamence would outclass it otherwise I'd say. I think the Baton Pass ban is less deserving. You all might think it's me being biased but, it should be beatable with nearly any team. It isn't hard to play around and whenever I see someone else play with it. I can see misplay after misplay. The only person with actual tour results using Baton Pass happens to be me, and I think whoever decided to ban Baton Pass failed to see that Baton Pass wasn't too good, but me. I don't think I ruined the tier with it. The team wasn't overpowered or luck reliant so to say. At worst you have to rely on a 37% chance: hitting Sing, and them not getting a 1 Sleep turn. Though these situations are very uncommon.

What players in Ubers or any other metagame do you look up to?

I don't necessairily look up to anyone. I don't want to be a specific player per say. I'm one of a kind, and looking up to others won't help that. I am who I am. I create my own style, and my own take at the game.

Who are some of your favorite people in the Smogon/Ubers community?

First of all, Acacia, she's one of my best friends and taught me a lot about the Ubers metagame. She helped me adapt from Anything Goes mainly. The Trap God is also someone who taught me a lot. He's like a brother to me. HunterStorm and me are like Jesse and James. We do a lot together. We are attuned to one another. We like the same type of teams and we went into the Ubers metagame together, both coming from Anything Goes. I help him a lot with preparation, and with the right preperation, he does get his shit done. I could go on forever with shoutouts really, but these 3 mean the most for me, regarding the Ubers community.

Any advice for new players getting into Ubers?

Primal Groudon is overrated.

Finally, can you provide us a team with a brief explanation of how it works?

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 31 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 0 Spe
- Transform

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Recover
- Toxic

Lugia @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Whirlwind

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Defog

Blissey @ Shed Shell
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell

This is probably the most requested team of mine: Ditto Stall. I was planning on RMTing it, but I lost a lot of it and that's demotivating. It revolves around the Sableye + Ditto + Ho-Oh core. Which in theory should beat every other Stall team, due to infinite PP, and HP. Lugia, Arceus-Ground, and Blissey were added for basic needs, and the ability to check the most things alongside the original core. Ditto also acts as anti-offense. People fear setting up due to a probable counter-sweep coming from Ditto. Which is why it functions nicely. It has its weaknesses, but it's solid overall.​

==============================

Big thanks to Thimo for taking the time out to complete this interview. :toast:

Last edited:
Thimo I love you *Intense fangirling*
(Cue Daddy Kink here)
For the record, I love thimo like a friend
Show me your nipples again amiright
How 2 b gud at mons 101?

Last edited:
thoughts on the transition from ag to ubers?

thoughts on ag players in ubers?

do you have an opinion on using the ladder as a tool to test/improve your own game? do you think others should use it more?

when is your youtube channel of smoking random shit coming back and will you be taking requests?

gratz on getting drafted in snake. you're one of the harder working and active metagamers of ubers and deserve the spot :)

e: #freehyw #freemagsyy

Last edited:
Thimo I love you *Intense fangirling*
(Cue Daddy Kink here)
For the record, I love thimo like a friend
Show me your nipples again amiright
How 2 b gud at mons 101?

When r u makin a squad tht pushes Swagger over the edge?

Hav u ever achieved a near perfect or perfect record on ladder like the legendary hyw who went like 103-2 or some whack shit like that?

#Freehyw?

GL in snake btw fam ull own :toast:
I'll think about breaking Swagger, it shouldn't take too long :toast:
Best ladder record I've ever achieved was 125-0 in [Gen 6] Anything Goes, it hit a GXE of about 96. I got matchupped against some random though, with Toxic Spikes and a Subtect Gliscor + Aegislash core, which made me lose the streak unfortunately. The alt in question is Thimo 2000, if you still want to /rank it.
the replay will not load.
It's your own shitty computer, the replay works fine.
your top 5 ubers players?
#freemagsyy?

Do you like Supreme?
In Alphabetical order: Dice, Hack, M Dragon, The Trap God and myself.
#freemagsyy
Supreme?
What do you like to do outside of Pokemon?
I like a variety of stuff, including sports, cooking and blazing the lit stuff

who do you fuckin hate in smogon
whos the shittiest player uve played

gay?
I hate Fireburn for banning Baton Pass

The shittiest player I've played is this guy:

And, no I am not gay, I'm sorry, but I have to reject you :(
why arent u a voice in ubers
You're asking the wrong person.
thoughts on the transition from ag to ubers?

thoughts on ag players in ubers?

do you have an opinion on using the ladder as a tool to test/improve your own game? do you think others should use it more?

when is your youtube channel of smoking random shit coming back and will you be taking requests?

gratz on getting drafted in snake. you're one of the harder working and active metagamers of ubers and deserve the spot :)

e: #freehyw #freemagsyy
The transition from ag to ubers went smoothly. The two metas are really similar. The only key differences are the lack of species clause, and the lack of Mega Rayquaza. It's something you can easily adjust from.
I think most AG players are doing great in Ubers. Some notable ones are HunterStorm and Catalystic imo.
I don't think the ladder helps much with helping at improving your own game, if you're already at a high level in a particular. There's a couple things the ladder is good for. Getting to know the basics o a particular metagame is easy to do on ladder, and harder in tour games and against friends that don't play the meta themselves. Another thing ladder is good for is finding flaws in your teams more easily. I don't necessarily think others should use it more, but if you need improvement, I'd definitly suggest you should try it out!
Passive stall/semi-stall/hazard stack stall, choose one?
Thoughts on BP ban?

thimo is the best boy in the whole world
semi-stall.
You obviously haven't read the interview as I explicitly broke it down in the eight question.

best boy?

How tall are you? (since you're from the netherlands I'll be disappointed if it's anything less than 6 and a half feet)

Are you excited for snake?

Who do you think will win open (other than yourself)?

I think most people agree stall is the strongest playstyle. Where do you rate bulky offense/balance/HO in the current meta?

Best kyogre set?

Is defensive ho-oh able to be beaten without using stall?!

Do you think anything should be banned from Ubers?

Best steel type?

Most overrated ubers pokemon?

z-move marsh or life orb?

What type of music do you like?

Give me your PERSONAL power rankings of the 9 snake players other than yourself: Arii Stella, Lacus Clyne, Fireburn, M Dragon, The Trap God, Pohjis, Dice, Mazar, Evuelf

Best SM ubers players?

Thoughts on SPL ubers overall (players and metagame wise) vs current ubers?

who do you fuckin love in smogon
whos the best player uve played
Hard one but Arii Stella is pretty cool
it's hard to play yourself
best boy?

How tall are you? (since you're from the netherlands I'll be disappointed if it's anything less than 6 and a half feet)

Are you excited for snake?

Who do you think will win open (other than yourself)?

I think most people agree stall is the strongest playstyle. Where do you rate bulky offense/balance/HO in the current meta?

Best kyogre set?

Is defensive ho-oh able to be beaten without using stall?!

Do you think anything should be banned from Ubers?

Best steel type?

Most overrated ubers pokemon?

z-move marsh or life orb?

What type of music do you like?

Give me your PERSONAL power rankings of the 9 snake players other than yourself: Arii Stella, Lacus Clyne, Fireburn, M Dragon, The Trap God, Pohjis, Dice, Mazar, Evuelf

Best SM ubers players?

Thoughts on SPL ubers overall (players and metagame wise) vs current ubers?
I'm the best boy in the whole world
I'm a little over 1.90 meters
I'm very excited for snake
Pretty sure Mazar will win it if I won't
I think the playstyles you mentioned aren't far behind stall. If Stall did absolutely dominate the other playstyles wouldn't have usage.
Best Kyogre set is Defensive
Yes.
No Ubers is fine as it is.
Ferrothorn is the best Steel type.
Primal Groudon is most overrated lol.
Z-move marsh.
I can listen to any music except despacito
1. The Trap God
2. Mazar
3. M Dragon
4. Dice
5. Pohjis
6. Arii Stella
7. Fireburn
8. Lacus Clyne
9. Evuelf
Top 4 in the above list + me
thought on focus blast mega-gengar :toast:
No

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)