Project Ubers Player Spotlight #12: Exiline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Nayrz
Changed 'Ubers Player of the Week' from Arii Stella

Ubers Player Spotlight - #12

Ubers Player Spotlight is the place where I interview notable and respected players from Ubers, the tier where the fiercest monsters combat and exert apocalyptic force. People I choose to interview are the elite players who excel at taming the strongest monsters and have been consistent throughout tournaments and is well respected by the community.

I am open to suggestions (DMDW#8155) about the players that can be interviewed, but please keep in mind that suggested players are subjects to review by me and Ubers moderation team. With that out of the way...

Spotlight #12:

Most Known For:

Playing in SPL and snake, doing well in OU and Ubers tours and more recently in NU tours as well. Won UPL V and VI on durians side. Kekking around a lot (and being hated for it) and also ruling over the avatar game on both smogon and discord.

Favorite Pokémon:

Being a second generation kid, I have a lot of my favorite mons down there like Suicune, Scizor, Steelix, Kingdra, Ampharos, Tyranitar or even Heracross but my favorite one prolly is Lugia. I think it really looks amazing but it's also very classy or so I feel. I also have a crush on Skarmory heh.

Overview:

I'm a 17 years old (turning 18 in december!) frenchman, I'll start college in September studying law and stuff like language (will keep up with learning english but will also start Italian).
Outside of Pokémon, I'm prolly a very normal guy, I enjoy going out with my friends, watching some series (into prison break at the moment), I really like partying time to time. Very much into music, I can like a lot of things, but I'm prolly more of a Hip-Hop boy.
On the sport side, I really enjoy playing football with friends even though I kinda suck at it lol (still got 2 stars on my shirt hehe) and I used to play tennis.
While I have time I'm trying to complete the good old JRPG (mostly final fantasy and fire emblem).
Oh and I also like to spend time reading mangas (although I'm not really into anime).

What is your name's origin?

"Exiline" doesn't have a specific meaning, I just found it looked cool phonetically back in 2013 or something around this (and I still do!) and I did stick up with it since then.

We'd love to hear some background information about your interest into Pokemon.

It all started when I was a kid in primary school when we were all fond of the Pokémon anime and then later with the Pokémon cards hype (oh god those were so expensive lmao).
At the age of 8years old (I guess?) I started playing my first pokémon game: Pokémon silver on my cousin's gameboy color (it was the special one with a Pikachu on it, then red part of Pikachu's cheek was even represented by the power light indicator). Later on I played Pokémon Platinum and SoulSilver on my own nintendo DS. Later on I also played the 5th generation games.
As of competitive Pokémon, in summer 2013, I was searching for something about a cartridge game on a french website (pokebip if you wanna know) and found some articles about Pokémon strategy. My computer being dead at this time and being in summer vacations I had a lot of time and started playing a bit on Pokémon Online phone app. I quitted playing mon at the end of these summer vacations but eventually came back to it in 2014 (dunno when exactly but it was around the time aegislash got banned from OU) and on Pokémon Showdown this time and started playing more seriously this time.
I had some breaks in my "career" like in 2017 where I spent like 6 months without playing a single game but I'll be there for a while as of now I think.

What have attracted you into Ubers?

As I said earlier, I first started competitive Pokémon on PO, there was a little channel named french corner on there, user KyogreF4N was also in this chan. He was like top 10 on PO ubers ladder at the time which was fucking impressive for the young exiline (lol). Kinda wanted to imitate him and that's how my story as an Ubers ladder hero began ; reaching top 10 very late XY, 1 in ORAS with a 93.7 GXE and more recently getting 1 several time in SM while also having one of the best winratio record of ladder (in 51w for 1l).
Even if I had solid ties with Ubers in ORAS, I was way more invested in OU but this kinda reversed with SM release as I really disliked the new generation of OU.

What is your favorite playstyle? What generation do you like the most?

It really depends on the tier as I usually like to use what I feel is the most effective in the metagame. But as of now in USM Ubers my favorite playstyle is without a doubt balanced teams with a solide defensive core and one or more huge wallbreaker because I feel it's the most solide in the current metagame and it suffers the less from match-up issue, being able to win even bad match-up by outplaying your opponent with your offensive mon(s) without getting punished too hard thanks to your defensive core. This kind of team can play retro or proactively depending on the match-up you get which is something I really like.

On the Ubers side, I would say early SM (when marshadow wasn't released yet), even if the metagame had issue (yeah I'm talking about you xerneas) it was still pretty balanced and fun to play. I don't have much experience in the older gens of Ubers outside of ORAS which is a gen I would not pick as my favorite one for Ubers because I feel like the tier is way too volatile and losing on a single turn isn't really the funniest thing. As for the other one I'd say that BW looks really unfun with the omnipresence of spikes while DPP doesn't seem too good too as it suffers from the same issue as dpp OU but worse (aga aga draco meteor me win me smart). On the other hand ADV Ubers seems like a pretty nice tier even if it is heavily centered around a couple of mons (weather titans + lati twins).
On the OU side, it's definitely ORAS, probably because it's the generation where I really started to play competitive mon but also because the room for outplay is really really high which is a thing I kind of like and the different teams you can meet here are mostly fun to play against (bar cancerous spikes + magic guard heh).
USM NU is by the best USM tier btw :eyes:

How do you feel about the Gothitelle & Gothorita suspect?

I think suspect testing things is a huge step forward for Ubers. However I don't think suspecting the gothitelle line was the best thing to suspect, as it became really less relevant than it used to be in SM + Marsh meta. Using Gothitelle (or its pre-evo for god knows why reason) makes your team easily abused by a fuckton of threats. Meaning that even if goth can clutch some win in specific match-ups it will be deadweight 90% of the time. In the end the outcome of the suspect was really obvious.
On the meta itself I feel like goth ban wouldn't have changed much, like we could have seen some weird stall teams pop up but I kinda doubt it as stall is really weak right now.

Are there any elements of the metagame that you deem unhealthy?

I believe Z-moves are rather stupid especially on set-up sweepers : they're a one time nuke which can basically OHKO anything once you get an attack boost and can also create some annoying 50/50 scenario (still a win/win for the z move user tho).
I would also favor a necrozma suspect, I feel it's just overpowered and too obnoxious being even able to get a faster than arceus form. Note that if ubers ever ban necrozma, we should ban geomancy along with it unless we're wanting another xern-centric meta which really isn't the most enjoying thing.
Finally Shadow tag has always been a weird one, retiring the ability to play from your opponent can easily be deemed unhealthy, even if Shadow tag isn't in the best spot atm it can still easily be deemed banworthy or so I believe.

What is your the most memorable game of Ubers?

1536115862357.png
M Dragon's team: Smeargle / Lucario / Rayquaza / Groudon / Lunala / Arceus-Fairy
HunterStorm's team: Gengar / Zygarde / Arceus-Ground / Ferrothorn / Magearna / Ho-Oh

Mdragon vs Hunterstorm ( UPL V finals tiebreak)
The place of this battle obviously contributed to its memorable part but it was really amazing to see M Dragon grab the win with a CM fairyceus against ferrothorn/magearna/ho-oh/gengar even if HunterStorm didn't play this one optimally.

1536115984850.png
Leru's team: Yveltal / Lucario / Groudon / Dialga / Xerneas / Arceus-Ground
Exiline's team: Groudon / Yveltal / Ferrothorn / Arceus-Rock / Buzzwole / Salamence

Exiline vs Leru (UPL V week 4)
One of my game this time, I went with big buzzwole and z dark pulse yveltal (crit on dialga didn't even matter btw), this game turned out very tight as Leru's Scarfxern was taking lives, ending in a 50/50 in which I ended victorious, giving buzzwole its well deserved 100% winrate in UPL V.

Congratulations on winning UPL VI with The Defiant Durians! How was your time there?

Thanks!
UPL VI Durians having many similar faces with UPL V Durians which obviously was very cool, but we also got some young goats like rabbit and PG and everyone else. Our chat had (and still have as much like UPL V durians before UPL VI start is still pretty active) some pretty good vibes which is imo crucial to get success in a teamtour. I actually wasn't very involved and I had some issues at this moment and to be honest kinda got my ass carried in this UPL. I still would like to thank my team for letting me get back into the roster in finals to clutch a win (they would have killed me if I lost after bringing a Latias tho...). The only negative aspect I could find of UPL VI durians is the extreme browness of half of its members but oh well nothing can be perfect I guess.

What new or existing users or players in Ubers do you look up to?

At the risk of seeming arrogant, I don't look up to anyone (on smogon at least). But If I had to pick I'd say Gunner Rohan and Pohjis who both allowed me to improve a lot during UPL V, especially Pohjis who is doing incredible at the moment in Grand slam, best of luck there bro.

What are your advice for new players getting into Ubers?

To be honest I'd tell beginners to get into OU first because they would have access too way more ressource, tournament games too watch and maybe even more importantly (as a beginner) a better ladder.
However if one really wants to get in ubers first, I'd tell them to try to get familiar with the meta by watching tournament replays then to ladder a bit until they get the basic of competitive mon (and strengthen their metagame knowledge), alas the ladder is in a really bad spot atm and actually won't help them so much, hence why I would advise you to try to circlejerk a bit and get a lot of games with more experienced players (that's the reason why playing in teamtours can really make you improve). For the closing words I'd add that it's really important to have a gameplan while planning and not playing turn by turn, also watching your replays and analyzing them can be a lot of help to improve by yourself.

Congratulations on getting drafted for Snake Draft! How do you feel about an event as a whole?

Thanks.
I feel like Snake will be a pretty good thing for Ubers, especially on the metagame development since we got cut off from spl and I feel like there are a lot of inexplored sets and mons in USM Ubers. It may also (hopefully) makes the ubers community grow skill-wisely.
As far as we got, there was some nice games and i'll hope we'll get more in the incoming weeks.
On a personal note, I'd say that I'm rather happy at my snake debut with a 1-1 record even if I feel I could have done so much better against fireburn because I suddenly lost my balls in this game when I needed to make huge plays after fb got the advantage early game.

How do you feel about people naming you as the person that they "fucking hate on Smogon" and is the "shittiest player they faced"?

It happens when you get so much clout that people feel threatened by your sole existence which make me feeling rather good to answer your question.

Please share a set that you think is the most underrated and a set that is the most overrated in Ubers.

1536115446791.png

Arceus @ Chople Berry
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance
- Recover

As of most underrated, I'd say that ekiller is often underestimated while it can clean up a lot of teams in late game with a SubSD or Chople SD recover set.

I think the most overrated set in Ubers question really is harder to answer because I don't feel such a thing really exists (or so it isn't as outstanding as it could be) but I'd say that fairyceus is utter garbage and I would choose this mon if I had to.

Would you provide us with a team and add a brief description?

necdm.gif

Life After Death (Necrozma-Dusk-Mane) @ Ultranecrozium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Going Back To Cali (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Toxic

You're Nobody (Tyranitar) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Atk / 148 Def / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Foul Play
- Stealth Rock
- Rest

Nasty Boy (Arceus-Poison) @ Toxic Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Judgment
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Long Kiss Goodnight (Kyogre-Primal) @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Sky's The Limit (Salamence-Mega) @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe
Impish Nature
- Body Slam
- Refresh
- Defog
- Roost

I first built this for my POCL game against HunterStorm where it won and it would have also have won in ssnl against Cynara if she weren't the luckiest kekker alive. This team is pretty straightforward to use, you have to play aggro against some threats but as weird as the team seems, it works pretty nicely. Outrage on Ultranec to destroy sableye squads (rest tyranitar is awfully good against stall squad because of all the pp it can waste + sand damage) and also helps with some zygarde which would get out of control. Shuca is mandatory on tyranitar to beat ultra nec and also help with eq mence.

=
=
=

Thank you Exiline for spending the time to answer the questions! Feel free to ask other questions in this thread!

Last edited:
Unfortunately... this seems like the last interview we are going to have for the time being without more people volunteering. Thank you for all of your attention and to previous interviewees who spent their time answering the questions!

If you wish to suggest a interviewee now, I wouldn't say it is too late. I'll still take nominations into consideration for a bit and will probably move on from this. This means that if you were too shy to ask for an interview or have turned down the offer, it isn't too late.

Taking over the project? I'm open to that but talk with Nayrz first because I agreed with him to end it around #15 or so. It's on you to change his mind.

That's all. Peace

Last edited:

Oldamar999

Tien Time
Might not be able to ask, but:
What are your favorite mons C+ through D rank in ubers? do you wish that they were more viable? how would you make them more viable?

What Pokemon in a lower tier do you think should be banned?

Last edited:

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Who do u fuckin hate in smogon
Whos the shittiest player uve played

Non-memes:
Who do you think deserved to be drafted in Snake draft and who should be in potentially SPL? Likewise with UPL - who do you see getting drafted this year that wasn't drafted, and do you plan on playing/managing?
What other metas are you interested in outside of Ubers? Old gens in particular
Any mons you think are underrated as of now and have potential to do well in the meta soon? And the other way around - mons that are overrated and will fall out of favour soon?
What's your thought process with building?

best of luck in snake!

Does Sarah really main NU?
Do you feel restless as one of the representative players of Ubers or do you still have room to enjoy breaks in between big tournaments?
Do you think advocating on 'nipple prep' has influences on your Snake games?
If you could decide three more interviewees after this, who would they be (can't be the ones that were already brought up)?

Last edited:

B R A I N L I C K E R

Banned deucer.
Is this dude ever gonna answer any questions?? Smh lol interview me next time, I won’t disappoint the people :v4::v4::v4:

More Ubers mons you think are overrated?? I think POgre is trash personally......

Exiline

Banned deucer.
is a Past SCL Championis a Two-Time Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
Might not be able to ask, but:
What are your favorite mons C+ through D rank in ubers? do you wish that they were more viable? how would you make them more viable?

What Pokemon in a lower tier do you think should be banned?
I'd say that Arceus-Poison being C rank is really surprising as it's honestly a very decent mon.
Blaziken and Kyurem-white both also have a lot of potential but need a lot of support to get the work done but as you can see in the trap god snake game against hunterstorm they can be really deadly (letting groudon die was a missplay from hunterstorm tho there tho).
Tapu koko is also a mon that is actually working (nature madness and u turn shenaningans).

The main issue with most of the lower ranked mons is that even if they can effectively pressure your opponents, they, however lacks defensive utility which is really something crucial in ubers (you can notice every high rank offensive mon also holds a lot of defensive utility or if they don't are insanely threatening like ultranec).

I think getting more viable offensive mons would be bad for ubers right now because there already is a lot of match up issues and I think increasing the number of threats would make the tier worse as it already is.

what meta do you prefer out of Ou and Ubers? I will not accept nu as an answer.

who do you feel is your toughest opponent in your group?

thoughts on this game?
Obviously OU in every older gens but it's kinda harder to pick in USM as I feel OU really is terrible rn and that the OU leaders should do things about the tier (aka banning greninja and mawile or autistic 50/50 generator tapu lele). It could go either way but I actually think that when match up is even Ubers well played games are much funnier to watch than OU hence why I would pick Ubers there I think but OU could easily surpass Ubers by banning things imo (also toxic spikes are awfully stupid match up wise in OU).

Toughest opponent is not outplaying myself but actually I think my group's opponent are almost all equal skill-wise tbh

This game never happened :weary:

How did I do as UPL host?
good I think ?
and certainly much better than ribbon championship spreadsheet maker SparksBlade :AngryEyes:

Who do u fuckin hate in smogon
Whos the shittiest player uve played

Non-memes:
Who do you think deserved to be drafted in Snake draft and who should be in potentially SPL? Likewise with UPL - who do you see getting drafted this year that wasn't drafted, and do you plan on playing/managing?
What other metas are you interested in outside of Ubers? Old gens in particular
Any mons you think are underrated as of now and have potential to do well in the meta soon? And the other way around - mons that are overrated and will fall out of favour soon?
What's your thought process with building?

best of luck in snake!
pooper rohan
Slurmz

I think every good deserving players that signed up for snake got drafted. For UPL, I think zesty is a pretty obvious picks, and I didn't really follow ssnl and open but players who did well in those and didn't get bought this year will most likely get in next time. About myself managing/playing only time will tell I think (def not managing tho as i would be inactive af lmao)

USM NU, USM OU, ORAS OU, BW OU, GSC OU, RBY OU

keeping the secret weapons for snake :eyes: actually there isn't much outstanding innovations that could be made atm

I usually pick a core of 1-2 pokémons I want to build around, then I think about what kind of teams I want to use (playstyle wise), and then I feel the hole with a way to deal with every possible playstyle and metagame threats (offensively or defensively depending of what i wanna use).

thanks

Does Sarah really main NU?
Do you feel restless as one of the representative players of Ubers or do you still have room to enjoy breaks in between big tournaments?
Do you think advocating on 'nipple prep' has influences on your Snake games?
If you could decide three more interviewees after this, who would they be (can't be the ones that were already brought up)?
she mains runescape

I don't think I really represent ubers and if I were to do i wouldn't really give a fuck about this, also i'm way more invested in OU and NU tournament tbh (im winning ST btw)

I made the drinking prep against fireburn (wasn't even planned but i got caught up in some shit lmao) and lost, then I nipple prepped against Sarah and 6-0'ed her. What do you think about the influence of the nipple prep after this statement ?

idk try some of the new guys who got results in open or ssnl i guess ? (you got more interviewees apparently so it's fine i guess kek)

Is this dude ever gonna answer any questions?? Smh lol interview me next time, I won’t disappoint the people :v4::v4::v4:

More Ubers mons you think are overrated?? I think POgre is trash personally......
had to rise up the hype

Actually we probably share the same opinion here, I wouldn't say ogre is trash but I also believe he isn't as strong as people makes it look.
nothing much otherwise.

Man Exiline is woat potw
kekker

I did it guys !

Oldamar999

Tien Time
I think getting more viable offensive mons would be bad for ubers right now because there already is a lot of match up issues and I think increasing the number of threats would make the tier worse as it already is.
I was asking about what pokemon from a lower tier do you think should be banned from their tier. for example, do you think incineroar/slowbro/passimian/Ambipom(lmao) should be banned from NU?

Exiline

Banned deucer.
is a Past SCL Championis a Two-Time Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
I was asking about what pokemon from a lower tier do you think should be banned from their tier. for example, do you think incineroar/slowbro/passimian/Ambipom(lmao) should be banned from NU?
my bad read it wrong sorry
Slowbro has to stay otherwise NU will turn prolly turn worse but I'd say incineroar largely deserves a suspect. Vanilluxe could go too I guess even if it's prolly not used enough to get suspected i guess ?
not really involved in the other lower tier to say someting (outside of banning fucking diglet out of LC)

Exiline

Banned deucer.
Who would win a fist fight rabbit or gunner
they're both having brown blood which makes them really weak but as gunner is eating american food while rabbit is sipping tea in no hood gunner should have the advantage however rabbit is part of the big black mambas which should makes him extremly powerful (for brown standard at least) and with Exiline's martial art teaching there is no doubt that the alpha rabbit will get his glorious victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)