Online Competition ~Ultra Spooky Cup~ :ghost: | Shiny Mimikyu as entry gift!

This is very risky but you could switch in Magic Bounce Espeon and put the Darkrai to sleep instead. Espeon can also 2hko with Dazzling Gleam if Darkrai doesn’t switch out.

Why has nobody mentioned Incineroar..... the best Intimidate user that also has U-Turn and lots of useful resists for this format...?
Best intimidate user in general ... but in a format where Marshadow is king, it is difficult for him to prove himself, but nevertheless he remains playable (Look at the replays of "Chichicchi" who is doing very well with it).

If you are looking for a Intimidate user, i strongly advise you Granbull coupled with Rocky Helmet or Assault Vest ... it can wreak havoc :mad:

So I’ve been playing a bunch of games on the ladder and it doesn’t look like many people have mentioned it, but Rotom-Mow actually seems to be pretty good in this meta.

It can do most of the things Rotom-Wash does but with the added benefit of being able to take hits from Xurkitree and opposing Rotom-Wash better. There also aren’t a whole lot of mons in this format that threaten to KO it outside of Naganadel, Nihiligo, and Volcarona.

Anyways, just thought i’d mention it as a possible alternative to Rotom-Wash or Xurkitree. There aren’t a whole lot of electric or ground resists/immunities in this format so a mon that can fulfill both roles seems pretty good.

I also use Rotom-Mow and i confirm that it is pretty good in the format especially against the Gliscor - Toxapex core which is very common.

Pay attention to Modest Xuritree anyway with offensive Rotom-M, an HP ICE does it a lot of damage

252+ SpA Xurkitree Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-C: 88-104 (70.4 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I’d like to share my sexy Volcarona check with the masses:

Jellicent
Waterium Z
Modest
252 HP / 204 SpA / 52 SpD
Hydro Pump
Dazzling Gleam / Ice Beam
Will-O-Wisp / Recover
Trick Room / Recover

The EV’s guarantee the OHKO with Hydro Vortex on a Volcarona AFTER a Quiver Dance. In return, Volcarona struggles to even 3HKO back, making Jellicent a safe switch in.

I know it looks like a niche option that only walls Volcarona, but it also checks most special sweepers, especially Naganadel and Nihilego who can’t really deal much damage back. Hydro Vortex always OHKO’s standard Nihilego.

Dazzling Gleam KO’s Hydreigon who can’t OHKO Jellicent. Ice Beam is better at damaging Naganadel though. Will-O-Wisp can cripple a switch in. Hydro Vortex OHKO’s Xurkitree if it switches in, and it also OHKO’s a bunch of other things like Rotom Heat, Blacephalon, Krookadile, Gliscor, Chandelure, and even Darkrai and Marshadow after entry hazards.

I’d like to share my sexy Volcarona check with the masses:
I know it looks like a niche option that only walls Volcarona, but it also checks most special sweepers, especially Naganadel and Nihilego who can’t really deal much damage back.
I can understand nihilego but naga just does this:

252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 52 SpD Jellicent: 150-177 (72.4 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 52 SpD Jellicent: 297-351 (143.4 - 169.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Would ppstall (rotoms hydro pump for example) function with careful gliscor eq, tomb, sub, protect or should i choose a saver variant and should switch sub for stealth rocks for breaking sash and sturdy? Or is facade an option? All 3 sounds interesting. What is realistic in this competition?

I've use SD + Facade, SR + U-Turn, and Toxic Stall on different teams while testing. All are good; just depends what your team needs.

I can understand nihilego but naga just does this:

252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 52 SpD Jellicent: 150-177 (72.4 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 52 SpD Jellicent: 297-351 (143.4 - 169.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I didn’t even look at Devastating Drake in my calcs to be honest. Nobody’s ever used it on me in the spooky cup yet so I didn’t think of a Z Crystal as it’s hold item. But yeah that would hurt.

But is sd not bad because of marshadow? What are both set you used?
The team I used SD Gliscor on had a rather shaky matchup vs Toxapex, so I just wanted extra insurance for that team. SD is probably the least recommended set out of the 3 I mentioned in general, but it worked in that instance.

Also, I'd guess that Ghostium Z was more used since Pex is one of the best walls in the format.

Speaking of Z Moves- I ran Bulk Up + Marshadium Z along with Sticky Webs and it worked quite nice.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
you hit the poison types with earthquake and toxic stall everything else...? no-one's running mono poison lol. bring answers for opposing gliscor and crobat and that set should work just fine. as for the spread, i believe 228 hp hits some sort of jump point for recovery and they've dumpstatted defense for marshadow. someone else will know more

on boosting: i don't think that spectral thief completely invalidates boosting. reliable switches to marsh exist in mons like granbull, pex, silvally fairy etc so just pack one of those and beat the marsh before you try to set up, or at least pop its sash so you can ohko it and not get your boosts stolen at all. there's ways around these things

Here is my team, if anyone has any suggestions.

Mimikyu: Used to stop Marshadow, Darkrai, Mimikyu, Aegislash
Mimikium Z
90hp, 252atk, the rest in speed
shadow claw
shadow snek
play rough
swords dance

Gliscor: Counters Aegislash, Toxapex, Gliscor
Toxic Orb
  • 244 HP, 44 Def, 68 SpD, 152 Spe
Swords Dance
Ice Fang
Roost
Earthquake

Poison Touch Muk: Counters Aegislash, Rotom, Darkrai, Naganadel. Useful priority in shadow sneak.
Assault Vest
Mixed HP/SPD/Attack
Poison Jab
Knock Off
Shadow Sneak
Pursuit

Naganadel: Counter Rotom, Toxapex, and is just a strong lead. I had Choice scarf Xurkitree here, but I had 4 earth weaknesses so I removed it.
Dragonium Z
SPA/SP
Sludge Wave
Drago Meteor
Nasty Plot
Fire Blast

Toxapex: Counters Mimikyu, Marshadow, Gigalith... most things physical
Black Sludge
HP/DEF
Haze
Recover
Toxic Spikes
Scald

Sharpedo (Adamant): Counters Marshadow, Dragons, Aegislash. Psychic fang one shots Marshadow, and ice fang one shots Gliscor.
Life Orb
Protect
Crunch
Psychic Fangs
Ice Fang

My biggest problem with this team is there is no focus sash pokemon.

C
Here is my team, if anyone has any suggestions.

Mimikyu: Used to stop Marshadow, Darkrai, Mimikyu, Aegislash
Mimikium Z
90hp, 252atk, the rest in speed
shadow claw
shadow snek
play rough
swords dance

Gliscor: Counters Aegislash, Toxapex, Gliscor
Toxic Orb
  • 244 HP, 44 Def, 68 SpD, 152 Spe
Swords Dance
Ice Fang
Roost
Earthquake

Poison Touch Muk: Counters Aegislash, Rotom, Darkrai, Naganadel. Useful priority in shadow sneak.
Assault Vest
Mixed HP/SPD/Attack
Poison Jab
Knock Off
Shadow Sneak
Pursuit

Naganadel: Counter Rotom, Toxapex, and is just a strong lead. I had Choice scarf Xurkitree here, but I had 4 earth weaknesses so I removed it.
Dragonium Z
SPA/SP
Sludge Wave
Drago Meteor
Nasty Plot
Fire Blast

Toxapex: Counters Mimikyu, Marshadow, Gigalith... most things physical
Black Sludge
HP/DEF
Haze
Recover
Toxic Spikes
Scald

Sharpedo (Adamant): Counters Marshadow, Dragons, Aegislash. Psychic fang one shots Marshadow, and ice fang one shots Gliscor.
Life Orb
Protect
Crunch
Psychic Fangs
Ice Fang

My biggest problem with this team is there is no focus sash pokemon.
I like the Sharpedo! Can you put a Focus Sash on that? To survive a close combat? Or does it miss out on OHKO’s without the Life Orb?

Apart from Sharpedo where you can change the Life Orb by the Focus Sash, I do not see anything shocking.

What about Muk-Alola spread, 140 HP / 116 ATK / 252 SPE DEF ?

Apart from Sharpedo where you can change the Life Orb by the Focus Sash, I do not see anything shocking.

What about Muk-Alola spread, 140 HP / 116 ATK / 252 SPE DEF ?
I like the Sharpedo! Can you put a Focus Sash on that? To survive a close combat? Or does it miss out on OHKO’s without the Life Orb?
Why does it need focus sash? It out speeds Marshadow after a speed boost, which is what protect is for.

As for the Muk spread, I think what you posted is what i'm using. The spread i'm using doesn't really make sense for the format, i'm just lazy lol.

Why does it need focus sash? It out speeds Marshadow after a speed boost, which is what protect is for.

As for the Muk spread, I think what you posted is what i'm using. The spread i'm using doesn't really make sense for the format, i'm just lazy lol.
You're running enough bulk + Mimikyu that you don't necessarily need Sash. But if you put it on anything, Naganadel and Mimikyu would be better options than Sharpedo IMO. A Marshadow may just go for spectral thief to steal your speed boost while breaking your Sash at the same time. I kinda like Sash on Mimikyu here, but totally your call.

Ahh cool, I was unaware of there being a spooky cup forum! Now that the actual comp happens this Friday, I wanna drop some ideas I have during the cup. The main team I will use would involve a hoopa (yes ik that in a dark and ghost infested meta, hoopa would definitely struggle in the comp but that's the fun of it haha) but hoopa can go in if having the right support, especially against defensive cores such as gliscor/pex and also the rare trick room teams. Hyperspace hole is such a cool move that allows you to attack thru opponent mons behind a sub or thru protect. As I experimented with many teams with different sets I find can be good to deal with some big threats, id made some interesting spreads.

https://pokepast.es/d82610272a949081

And heres the hoopa team that I wanna modify for the comp and the baton pass team I use every now and then just for fun (you can find replays of my teams on my "alolan scum" account):
https://pokepast.es/22b5972f68f62443 (main team that I was even able to get to the 1400s with)

https://pokepast.es/9b23afbe6120da8a (I was curious to see how baton pass would fare in this meta and this team did not disappoint)

If any of yall got suggestions on how I make my team a bit more prepared for the meta, please let me know. Anyways I hope yall have a great time with this cup and maybe we can encounter eachother in the actual cup :]

Ahh cool, I was unaware of there being a spooky cup forum! Now that the actual comp happens this Friday, I wanna drop some ideas I have during the cup. The main team I will use would involve a hoopa (yes ik that in a dark and ghost infested meta, hoopa would definitely struggle in the comp but that's the fun of it haha) but hoopa can go in if having the right support, especially against defensive cores such as gliscor/pex and also the rare trick room teams. Hyperspace hole is such a cool move that allows you to attack thru opponent mons behind a sub or thru protect. As I experimented with many teams with different sets I find can be good to deal with some big threats, id made some interesting spreads.

And heres the hoopa team that I wanna modify for the comp and the baton pass team I use every now and then just for fun (you can find replays of my teams on my "alolan scum" account):
https://pokepast.es/22b5972f68f62443 (main team that I was even able to get to the 1400s with)

https://pokepast.es/9b23afbe6120da8a (I was curious to see how baton pass would fare in this meta and this team did not disappoint)

If any of yall got suggestions on how I make my team a bit more prepared for the meta, please let me know. Anyways I hope yall have a great time with this cup and maybe we can encounter eachother in the actual cup :]
Few random thoughts:

I think putting Thunder Wave on Mimikyu is wasting a move slot.

I would highly recommend putting Dazzling Gleam on your Xurkitree. Going to be a lot more handy than Energy Ball in this meta.

And speaking of this meta, it’s a BOLD move running a physically defensive Espeon set in this meta, pun intended. I don’t think it will last long enough to pull of a Calm Mind/Stored Power sweep against some of the Dark/Ghost threats. But I could be pleasantly surprised

Regarding Team 1, I don't see much use in Defog. Hazard removal isn't that great in 3v3 (prevention is preferred), and you're not running any Sash mons or Volcarona on that team so you're not exactly weak to the hazard. Sticking with that nature; I'd consider Iron Head to cheese Mimikyu with para flinching. Especially since Mimikyu is one of your uglier matchups with that team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)