Online Competition ~Ultra Spooky Cup~ :ghost: | Shiny Mimikyu as entry gift!

Well that was a disaster.

Day 1: Won 6, Lost 8, plus one immediate forfeit by my opponent.
Day 2: Won 4, Lost 2
Day 3: Won 3, Lost 8, plus one immediate forfeit by my opponent.

Just about broke even on score, ending around 1505. Not battling any further because even winning everything won't push me up the rankings and losing will just drop me to an embarrassing level.

Many of my losses were either due to bad play on my part or not having appropriate counters, but I can count a good 7 or 8 where I either lost to a speed tie, had multiple crits getting the ko on my team, where a regular hit wouldn't have or worst of all, a ohko move hitting first attempt when I should have got the ko in return.

I ran the following team:
1540729317794.png

The plan was to get screens up with Meowstic first, then switch in appropriate counters. I dropped this plan very quickly due to the number of critical hits I received, which meant I effectively had a wasted slot on my team. Not having Prankster didn't make much difference, I usually got a screen up, it's just that my opponent then critted through it. Aegislash also saw very little use - I didn't have a single battle where a steel type move was needed and in all nearly other scenarios, Marshadow & Mimikyu did ghost type better. Naganadel saw some use, but was generally a bit too frail. It was an event Naganadel locked to Modest Nature, which also meant it was just lacking the speed needed in certain scenarios. I possibly lost out due to not hyper training in some circumstances too.

So Marshadow, Mimikyu and Silvally formed the bulk of my battle teams. The first 2 need no introduction, but Silvally proved to be extremely useful as I came up against quite a number of Incineroar, Xurkitree & Blacephalon, where Multi-Attack could either 1 or 2hko. Rock Slide would 1hko Volcarona too and Silvally could survive a +1 flamethrower beforehand. I went with 252 speed and attack EVs, but could have done with a bit less speed and a bit more in defense - Silvally was outsped most of the time anyway and could have done with more bulk in some circumstances.

On the plus side, I've got a shiny Mimikyu out of it and I've learnt not to go half-baked into a competition in future.

Well, currently sitting at 1724 and I think I'm gonna call it quits before I start tilting. I wish I had seen more cool stuff like you guys instead of the Glispex or Marpex core I faced every other game. The weirdest thing I saw was a Silvally, and it didnt even have a meme set. Anyways, I wish I had prepared better for Toxapex; it was the literal bane of my existance and every game I lost I lost because I lacked a proper answer to it..

Stuff I regret doing:
Running Brave TR Mimikyu instead of Jolly/Adamant with Curse.
Running Muk-A instead of Xurxitree, but oh well.
Not adding Zen Headbutt to Marshadow.

Hoping that I'll atleast make it to the rankings.
Oh well, I had lots of fun with this competition and hopefully you guys did too ^^

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ultra spooky cup team.png

sorry if huge lol​

Went 13-2 day 3 to end around 1785+ (34-11 overall). First loss was against a Gliscor which crit Earthquake vs boosted Eevee (who knows how the battle would have played out if I got the Baton Pass off), and second loss was to me clicking Return by accident against a Marshadow which I just needed to EQ to win the game, so same exact thing as yesterday where I misclicked Return against a lastmon Nihilego. Those two losses really sting, since if you reverse those results I'm sitting around 1820+ with 36-9, but alas I finish with 34-11. Plenty of Pokemon happened along the way too but the hax losses are out of your control so can't worry about them! Not to toot my own horn too much but I felt I only got outplayed in 2-3 games, so ya 6-7 hax losses...

Importable for EV spreads: https://pokepast.es/4deb428d0c257abc

So I built the team around Eevee + Bewear since the bear is probably my fav gen 7 mon and never been able to use it. I went through a bunch of dedicated leads in testing, it basically went screens Meowstic > tomb Aero > Light Ball Fling Mimikyu > Nihilego and I am so happy I chose Nihilego in the end!! I kinda wish I went with Air Balloon instead though, no ground resist hurt a lot and got counter-lead by a few Krook/Glisc... Nihilego was super legit when just going with Marsh+Mimi in the back instead of Baton Pass too, I think it might have been MVP of the team.

Marsh + Mimi were just thrown on because they're Marsh + Mimi. I chose Fairium Z over Mimikium because I didn't want to get surprise checked by Fluffy Bewear (tanks Let's Snuggle Forever because it makes contact), and it also meant I wouldn't have to switch off the animation while streaming lol (shoutouts youtube). It might have been better to go with a fatter Mimikyu that was able to live opposing Marsh Shadow Sneak, couple of the "haxy" losses where to the coinflip KO chance in that scenario...

Volc was thrown in the last slot with a full physdef spread/set until Rock Tomb Marsh became a thing on PS. You guys know I love the bulky set up version so I went with that instead as an alternative Baton Pass receiver. shoutouts chemcoop for making the EV spread for me while I slept on the eve of the comp. Sadly I didn't bring this to many games at all.

This format was really fun, I think the best rulesets are when there's very few obviously viable Pokemon available with super high usage. It makes bringing anti-meta techs a bit more viable and some of the stuff people come up with is really cool, how often do you get to bring out your Bewear / Yanmega / Granbull / Rotom-Fan around here..? I saw a lot of people lamenting on how Marshadow had a stranglehold on the meta but it really didn't feel that way to me, it had few counters but playing around it wasn't too tricky, especially if you position your own Marshadow well. It also felt a bit useless if the Focus Sash was broken (shoutouts stealth rock)

Not sure when the next cool online comp will be considering Lets Go is coming out and we're due for an IC, but I'm really looking forward to the next!

Stream VOD btw:

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader
Should have known Day 3 was gonna go bad when I had a sure win in my 2nd game of the day taken by first try guillotine. After that it was a mess of crits, flinches, opponents hitting every hypnosis, etc. Ended up quitting at 1731 after losing a game to double flinch from Darkrai, so far from as good as I wanted/think I could have finished but Pokémon is Pokémon lol. Had a fire game at least today where I saw my opponent was super weak to Darkrai but had a Zoroark. Led Golisopod vs "Aegislash" and First Impressioned the predicted Scarf Focus Blast anti-Darkrai lead Zoroark to the shadow realm. Definitely the highlight play of the comp for me lol. Hope you guys did better than I did!

So just finished day 3 with 9:6 again. Overall thats 31:14 or 1700 points. My peak today was at around 1770 points, but it was followed by a series of losses (as always on day 3 for me).

All in all, I really enjoyed the tournament, saw a lot of interesting stuff today, and beat some japanese players with 1800+ points.

But some things I don't want to do again - such as my 84 round match Toxapex vs. Toxapex. I won the mind game, when he switches to his low Rotom-Heat for my last scald, but then we run out of PP simultanously. I won the speed tie in the last round and killed myself with struggle. I should have picked relaxed nature instead of bold nature for Toxapex.

My team looked like this:
Marshadow @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Ice Punch

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Toxic
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Careful Nature
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 SpD
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Careful Nature
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Protect
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Psychic

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Adamant Nature
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw

Best pokemon was Assault Vest Muk-Alola. That thing won me many matches, by killing special attackers, breaking sashes/disguises, finishing them with shadow sneak, OHKOing Volcarona or knocking off Toxic Orbs on Gliscor switch ins. Yanmega was also really nice and OHKOed many things (like Darkrai, Bewear, Crobat, Hydreigon, ...) and also 2HKOed Toxapex. I think I used all of my pokemon equally, but I must say that my Gliscor set performed really bad. Yes, Earthquake was really useful, but Rock Slide/Toxic was almost useless, should have used Ice Fang or Guillotine/Substitute (and also less SpD investment).

Ahhhhhh I was so close to reaching 1800s (1794 to be exact before my last battle) but the last battle I lost to unfavorable sleep turns with my av gigalith vs hypnosis xurkitree (it even ate up the +3 energy ball my son could've won ahaha!!!) and the opponents last mon was a jolly life orb mimikyu against my bulky mimikyu (if I had shadow claw over taunt I could've won but taunt is just too good). Man I'm upset that I didnt achieve my goal but overall I'm proud of my team and most of my plays so ig I can walk with dignity. I had a great run and managed to be in high 1700s with hoopa.

https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/usum/BT-4D7D-AA5C
Screenshot_20181028-155110_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So I ended up going 35-10 with a rating around 1830.

Here’s my team: https://pokepast.es/b62cca24d7b6854a

Most games I just went with Gigalith, Toxapex, and either Hydreigon or Rotom. Surprisingly enough, I didn’t end up needing Marshadow or Mimikyu that often, although they were good in certain matchups.

Assault vest Gigalith was easily the MVP of this team. It’s ridiculous just how bulky this thing is. It could easily take hits from mons like Volcarona, Xurkitree, Naganadel, Hydreigon, and Darkrai and OHKO all of them back.

I ran max hp with 180 attack and 76 spdef in order to take hits better from Xurkitree while still being able to get the OHKO vs Naganadel, Darkrai, and Hydreigon. Although I mainly brought it to give me a better matchup vs. Volcarona and Xurkitree, it definitely put in way more work than I expected.

Rotom-M was mainly there to give me a better matchup vs. ground types like Gliscor and Krookodile as well as something to help me deal with Xurkitree and Toxapex better. With substitute Thunderbolt and HP ice it can beat Toxapex and most variants of Gliscor 1v1.

Hydreigon filled pretty much the same role as Rotom but it was good in a lot of matchups where Rotom wasn’t. With Z move, substitute and taunt it could break past most variants of Gliscor and Toxapex and just do a lot of damage in general.

Toxapex was the main defensive mon on my team, and once I was able to take out my opponents answers to it, a lot of times it just won games on its own.

Marshadow and Mimikyu were both just really good offensive options that I brought depending on the matchup. Marshadow had rock tomb to give me another answer to Volcarona and Mimikyu had Mimikium Z to help me break through certain matchups.

I’m honestly kind of surprised that I managed to make it to the 1800s since I had a pretty rough start, but luckily I managed to get a pretty good win streak on the last two days. I’ll have to wait and see how I do in the rankings, but regardless of how I do, this competition was definitely a lot of fun.

I ended up somewhere around 1650 with this team..
Team.PNG

Evs and Natures:
Jolly Marshadow 252 Atk, 252 spe, 4 Sp def
Modest Naganadel: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
Timid Xurkitree: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, (don't know where the 4 is lol)
Timid Volcarona: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
Jolly Aerodactyl: 252 Atk, 36 Def, 220 Spe
Naive Zoroark 84 HP, 4 Atk, 12 Def, 252 SpA, 156 Spe

I'm really happy with how well Aero has been for me. It's survived quite a few hits including a SS from an Aegislash with the hit being at min roll with low HP (iirc 50 hp) judging by the calc. Don't know why it was being slept on this entire format since it's got great speed and a Powerful nuke with Z Sky attack. I know it's not really optimal with how Sky attack is but the strength it has given some of my battles new life. being able to have something that can kill Gliscor around 3/4ths HP has saved me a few times. Earthquake was pretty useful for this set since Rock slide can miss and getting the disguise of Mimi out of the field is very necessary for Marshadow to get the kill.
DEZW-WWWW-WWWU-TPX9

Volcarona was a last minute thing and wasn't used as much but it was ok.

Zoroark didn't have that many issues with predictions that it was actually Zoroark lol. but the choice Sucker punch has been quite useful in knocking out Marshadow before it can get a SS off or CC. The extra priority has been rather useful. didn't use Illusion in the last battle and was able to finish off a possible Nihil before it could move after my Marshadow used SS just for the precaution that it was actually scarf.

Sash Marshadow is best Marshadow Imho. Being able to take a hit and survive was crucial in some games. I had to preserve the sash in a few games which turned out to be the right call.

not sure how i feel about Xurk.. but I think it's presence (along with Volc, and Naga) made quite a few players not want to use Toxapex against me.. I don't even think I faced a single one in a battle of 3.. but it was ok in a few matchups.. I brought it against Scarf Krook a few times to try and throw it off which was helpful occasionally

Naga had a few moments.. though it didn't really do that much other than faint and get a few hits in since I'm not using it as a true nuke.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I almost didn't do this competition since I had to focus on catching up on college work, but I decided at the last minute "fuck it, I'll do it".

Only got to do 30 battles, but I ended at somewhere in the 1710s. Makes me wonder if I could have broke the 1800s if I had done 15 more matches, but considering my bad luck in the last two competitions, I dunno LOL

Anyways, my team was pretty simple, with Swords Dance Gliscor / Ghostium Z Mimikyu / Bulk Up Sash Marshadow / Toxic Spikes Toxapex / Timid Psychichium Z Volcarona / Scarf Xurkitree. The theme here was to try and surprise people with at least one each mon running something that wasn't quite as common as the usual standard. It seemed to work pretty well, with Gliscor sweeping a LOT of slower teams, Toxapex breaking sashes, Mimikyu and Marshadow taking down Toxapex, etc.

It was a fun format, just wish I was less busy this October. Hopefully we get a cool competition in December that's timed away from exams this time!

Ended up 1746 with 41 battles. I wanted to go for 1750 but with only 24 minutes left on the clock I wasn't willing to risk losing again for 4 points and I thought 1746 was good enough. My original goal was 1700 and I reached that. After an absolutely pessimal day 2 where I faced 3 trick room teams (I am weak to Trick Room), day 3 went rather smoothly. I think I could have done a little bit better but I made a couple of horrible misplays; by far the worst one was not electrowebbing a Murkrow turn 1. As soon as I hit sticky web and even before the turn began I remembered the thing got taunt. Then it Icy Winded and Defogged and I lost to Xurkitree lol.

The team:
the team.png

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sticky Web
- Electroweb
- Thunder Wave
- Lunge

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Guillotine

Volcarona @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Def / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Fiery Dance
- Psychic
- Quiver Dance

Hydreigon @ Choice Band
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Rotom-Wash @ Waterium Z
EVs: 108 HP / 84 Def / 124 SpA / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Hydro Pump

Marshadow @ Marshadium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Sneak
- Spectral Thief

Anyway, I am very happy to have gotten Galvantula webs to almost 1750! As soon as I saw Galv I wanted to use it (although imo the best webs setter is Slurpuff). I feel like I didnt practice enough on Showdown so I wasn't all that confident going in. I never did finalize my team. I got very close but I still needed some last minute modifications and those never came through, but I am happy my team did pretty well. I am also happy I randomly stumbled upon Rotom on the literal last day before the comp; it was very good! I think I will write more stuff in a future post!

Overall this was the most fun comp I've been in IMO. A lot of my battles I barely scraped by the win and it was nice to have so many intense battles.

Last edited:
Well, that was a disaster, to say the least. Just finished my last game, and unfortunately ended on a loss which could've been a win if play rough didn't miss a Darkrai, or if I got a roll on the opposing Marshadow to KO with sneak. ;_;

Ended somewhere under 1600; peak was 1668. 25 Wins, 16 Losses, 2 DC's. I'm really impressed with all of you with high rankings and great W:L ratios! Overall, I was hoping to end much better than I did, at least in the mid to high 1600s, but I've only actually been playing the battle spot format on and off this year, and usually too busy to really practice a lot on playing and team building, so I guess around 1600 is just a more or less accurate representation of where my skill level is at currently.

Anywho, post-competition breakdown of my team and some game highlights.

My team:
ultraspookycup_rocketsurgery_small.png

Also pokepaste version with (intended) spreads: https://pokepast.es/14184942b9e57954

I wanted to use Marshadow since it's my favorite mon so I take every opportunity I can to use it. :) Choose Life orb since sash usually lacked power in other competitions, and went with rock tomb to deal with Volcarona.

Decided to use Darkrai partly because it usually doesn't do well in other comps where restricted mons are allowed, so wanted to give it a try. I also made it my main (surprise) Toxapex counter, with z-dream eater ohkoing, at least after chip. This worked out several times. It also worked in a few cases against opposing Marshadow, but those were usually sashed.

Granbull I choose because it could eat hits from Marshadow and threaten it and Darkrai with play rough. Basically modified the defensive NU set to add sleep talk to help with the Darkrai matchup but also because in several practice matches I had on showdown there were a number of vileplumes/shiinotic with sleep powder/spore. Went with ice punch for these and opposing gliscor.

Bulky Rotom-W was chosen to be a flying resist and to get up screens in matches where I didn't want to bring Araquanid for webs. Screens really came in handy in a lot of matches. Originally thought about having thunderbolt and thunder wave over hydro pump and volt switch to have speed control and a way to hit toxapex, but then Rotom was useless against Gliscor, so I gave Darkrai the job of pex counter so that I could run hydro, and went with volt switch for possible slow switches.

Araquanid was for occasional webs and also to have a stronger water attacker for ground types and fire types. I think in some calcs the splash plate nabbed a few kos that sash araqua missed, but maybe I'm wrong on that. Leech life also came in quite handy in a few cases. I used one of the recent Saturday giveaways for this, which apparently had SpA investment that I only just noticed -_- Oh well.

Gliscor was the eleventh hour untested addition to the team, as I wasn't sure Ditto provided enough utility, and I didn't have an electric resist. I figured I couldn't go wrong with Gliscor, so I re-ev'd one of the Saturday giveaway Gliscor's to the ev spread & moveset in Blueforce's thread. I think I got a KO or two with Guillotine, but maybe there was a better choice. I think Gliscor was the mon I brought the least.

Big regrets with the team are:
-not making sure everything (but Araquanid in particular) had max PP or the correct spread (since I usually have to re-ev/TM mons for these competitions I don't often PP up moves that I'm likely to change).
-Not having a better way to deal with Mimikyu.
-Rocks would have been nice for sash users.

Things I really liked about the team:
-Granbull was definitely one of the MVP's of the team. It proved useful against so many opposing Marshadow, and Z-heal bell claim in clutch more than once. Really glad I used this, was fun to using an overlooked mon like this, even though it meant I didn't go with Mimikyu.
-Z-dream eater Darkrai worked just like I hoped it would
-Felt like I used a good mix of mons all throughout the competition instead of just 1 or 2 sets.
-Marshadow

In terms of games, I had a few highlights that I really liked:

Close/fun losses:

LSCG-WWWW-WWWV-X3HX : A really close one against a 1772 rated player. My Araquanid, Gliscor, and Darkrai against a Crobat, Krookodile, and Tangrowth. I thought I was doing well and in a good position, but I apparently was unaware that infiltrator also ignored reflect, and crobat got a very unfortunate roll that was slightly in my favor. This was one of the few matches where HP ice Marsh might have come in handy (or even just a crit!)

ZKLG-WWWW-WWWV-X48R : A close one against a lower rated player who was really good at intimidate-regenerator cycling and eventually outlasted my Araquanid. Maybe I could have pulled through if I'd actually had max PP on Leech life, or if I had full HP investment instead of some SpA. Or even if I'd just gotten a bit of luck and Mimikyu stayed asleep one more turn!

Fun wins:

VTFG-WWWW-WWWV-X3KA : I felt like this was one of the matches I played well in, managing to play around the opponent's Ditto and Marshadow with my Granbull. Defended well against lead scarf Ditto by magic coating to prevent webs until it switched out, then later used Granbull to wall Ditto-Marshadow, and at the end max bulk + Z-heal bell came through to help PP stall out Ditto-Granbull, forcing it to struggle-KO itself and secure my win.

N5KW-WWWW-WWWU-VY54 : A game I mentioned in a previous post in which I felt like I did well manuevering around a moody Glalie team to get Marshadow into a position where it could steal the boosts and win. The Glalie had shadow ball, so this wasn't trivial to do!

Here's to hoping I'll do better in the next competition I try. :)

So many things I could say here, I don't know where to start. I've already stated my proudest moment before, beating a very high ranked player.

The worst thing that happened to me was probably choosing Golisopod over Nihilego in my party of 6. Nihilego could've been awfully useful regularly (though even more so if its Beast Boost increased its Speed, which it doesn't right now).

The teamI used was Toxapex/Golisopod/Crobat/Rotom-H/Shiinotic/Krookodile

I tried to use mons I liked that were also useful. Crobat to hit through subs, rotom for Trick and burns (hardly used WoW though) and Shiinotic for Spore.

Speaking of Shiinotic... It may not have been my MVP, but it very well could have been! Every time my opponent had a Darkrai, I predicted them to use it as a lead. And I was correct in 100% of those cases. I'd lead with Shiinotic and Spore them. This never failed. It once lived through Hypnosis > Nightmare > Dream Eater to wake up, Spore it and Leech Seed + Moonblast it to death!

What I did "wrong" though, was to make Shiinotic physically defensive. I let it carry Focus Sash to guarantee Spore, even on pokemon with Sludge Bomb/Wave (OHKOs normally), but decided on a defensive spread for general usage. I did not test my team at all, but I just did some damage calculations, and with a Quiet nature and 196 SpA EVs, Shiinotic OHKOs Bewear, Darkrai, Krookodile, Weavile and a couple others I forgot. 252 HP/196 SpA/60 SpD might've given me some more surprise KOs.

Was a pretty fun competition overall. Didn't have the time/energy to finish all 45 games but I went about 15-4 and finished in the 1600's.

Highlight was being able to use something different like Granbull, who was my MVP that I brought into EVERY battle. He checked so many threats. Like... everything!
Was also cool seeing some crazy creative sets against higher level Japanese players. There was a Curse/Substitute/Pain Split/Play Rough Mimikyu set which REALLY pushed me to my limits, especially when it whipped out a Z-Curse to heal itself completely. But I beat it in the end. Another scary threat was an Alolan Muk with Curse, Knock Off, Recycle and a Figy Berry. It literally WOULDN'T DIE because it spammed Recycle. Took just about all of my Marshadow's PP to break through it.

Lowlight was a Toxapex vs Toxapex battle which went forever and was just burn damage, black sludge recovery and Scald/Recover spam for about 40 turns. In the end I just forfeited because I have a life and didn't need to sit there losing the will to live. He can have the win.

My team:

Meowstic @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Prankster
Bold Nature
- Gravity
- Charm
- Yawn
- Psychic

Granbull @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb

Darkrai @ Psychium Z
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hypnosis
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Haze

Marshadow @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Spectral Thief

So, i think this is my turn to introduce you quickly my team

My goal in this competition was not to choose the ease by refusing to play Marshadow, Mimikyu, Toxapex or Gliscor. So I opted for a team that I consider "anti-meta"

Spooky.png

The results were pretty good on Showdown as on D-Day, with a 70% winning ratio (30-12) and over 1700 ranking points.

Here are the roles of each Pokémon :

Silvally-Steel : This is my phazer, he is here to counter the teams with Glalie, and Eevee. He has enough speed to overtake Glalie and hurt him so badly as to prevent him from Sub. He is also able to hold two Return of Eevee Adamant with Eevee Boost, and to embarrass Mimikyu with Icy WInd and Multi-Attack.

Rotom-M : I absolutely needed immunity to the ground type and Rotom-M seemed me obvious. Choice-Specs allow him to destroy Araquanid, and Glis-Pex core with Leaf Storm. It was very useful against Xuritree that he OKHO too.

Incineroar : He was present especially for three Pokémon : Aegi, Toxapex, Muk-Alola, with + 2 or Groundium Z he was sure to do the OHKO.
He could do the job too against Gothitelle, Wobbuffet, Dusclops, Xurk, Naga ...

Granbull :
This Pokémon is a real nightmare for Marshadow, he lost only one duel against a Swagger Marsh (Thanks confusion). Counter was an interesting option that allowed me to hurt a lot Golisopod, Araquanid and Bewear even with Indimidate. He had enough speed for Outspeed Muk and Mawile and 2HKO him.

Nihlego : Revenge killer, big coverage, very convincing.

Golisopod : He was here to put pressure on fast Dark-Type and distrub Gigalith lead, AV allows him to survive a Xurk Modest Thunderbolt and 2HKO with First Impression.

Overall it was a nice tournament, but unfortunately polluted by the omnipresence of Pokémon like Marshadow, Gliscor, Toxapex, Mimikyu, Naga and Xurk in all the teams.

Well, I went better Than expected. 1st day was 10-5, second day was 12-3, and 3rd day was 7-4. The team was

Darkrai @ Fightinium Z

Ability: Bad Dreams
Level: 50
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Nasty Plot

Marshadow @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Rock Tomb

Naganadel @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Bewear @ Assault Vest
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Facade
- Shadow Claw

Araquanid @ Waterium Z
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Liquidation
- Sticky Web
- Leech Life
- Scald

Shiinotic @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Strength Sap
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- Spore

I expected to use mostly Araquanid, Darkrai and Marshadow, but as there was A LOT of Toxapex, I ended using Naganadel instead of Darkrai. With DPulse, HP Ground and switching, I could ppstall toxapex.
Rock Tomb on Marshadow to destroy Volcarona.
I wanted to use Shiinotic more, but due to the amount of Toxapex, I think I used it only once.

Well ... I guess it's my turn to introduce my team

Screenshot_3 translated.jpg

You can find the Pokepaste here
After 15 battles, I lost any motivation in continiuing, with a solid 13-2 record. The competition was fun at all, don't get me wrong

I tested on showdown for like 1 or 2 hours and always made little updates here and there. First I planned on playing Screens Meowstic but it wasn't a good idea. So I thought off a offensive based Team and here we go

Crobat
You had one job: And you've done that one perfectly. Forcing Marshadow into a 1 on 1 and get rid of it. First I ran a more bulkier set, with more HP and some Def EVs but in the end I decided to go full Atk. Leech Life and Roost were good on Showdown, but I never used them in the actual tournament.

Hydreigon
One of the biggest winners during playtesting. I just wanted someone to counter Naganadel, since I didn't expect Scarf Nagas. Flamethrower against Tangrowth, which I never faced. In the tournament, I didn't need Hydreigon that often, but really often on showdown.

Alola-Muk
The mvp even he joined the team last minute. He replaced Aegislash. And holy, this rainbow pile of poop ... If my team is a soocer team, he would be my captain. I don't know where to start. I think I brought him in 14 of 15 battles and it never disappointed me. It should check Volcarona in the first place, but it was also a wall against any Special Attacker. Shadow Sneak is to break Mimikyus Disguise or Sashes. I also ran Poison Touch + Assault Vest to maximize my Special Bulk.

Volcarona
A check to Toxapex, which I faced a few. First I just Bug Buzzed Toxapex to bluff that I don't have Psychic. The following turn they stayed in and cried as I Z Psychic'd their Toxapex away^^. Sometimes it also leaded the battle, set up a Quiver Dance and swept the whole enemy team.

Marshadow
Marshadow was something like ... In german we like to call it "Das Sorgenkind" which can be translated as troublemaker, of my team. I changed the Items so often on showdown ... Scarf, Life Orb, Sash, Band and back to Life Orb. It convinced me the most. With Ice Punch, I ran the same strategy with Volcarona. But this time on Gliscor. I didn't show Ice Punch until Gliscor came in.

Mimikyu
Who'd ever thought? I also ran a Mimikyu. Shoutouts to the guys on the discord channel with the Will-O-Wisp recommendation. First I piloted Mimikium Z, but changed to Ghostium Z really quickly. It also helped me winning a 1on1 against another Mimikyu while mine was burned.
252 Atk burned Mimikyu Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 112-133 (86.1 - 102.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

In the end, it was a fun tournament nontheless, and maybe I could have reaced my goal in 1700+ but as mentioned above ... I lost my motivation

The ranking is available. I'm at 53th with 1776pts (funnily enough I had more defeats but 1 more points than my result at the Ultra no holds barred, but way worse rank)

My team was : https://pokepast.es/781791ea452ad833
I added Darkrai last minute because I didn't know what to put in the last slot, but he ended up being useless (I lost the 1 or 2 times I picked him iirc), if I had to redo it I would've looked for a dedicated counter for Gliscor (that could reliably beat all sets while still being useful/relevant in the meta, I don't even know if that existed) because he was really annoying, especially the Guillotine variants.

Tangrowth was really good at countering physical threats, has an amazing staying power, and could put foes asleep on the switch, surprised that nobody else used him. HP ice was useful on showdown, but not that much in the competition because the Gliscors I faced were much more bulky on the special side, and most of them could beat Tangrowth with either toxic stall or Guillotine.

AV A-Muk was my primary special tank/Volcarona and Darkrai counter, I don't remember why I used this EV spread but it was good (still dies to +2 Naganadel Devastating Drake though lol)

Toxapex was awesome, I made his spread that allowed him to resist special attacks pretty well in general, but notably take 1 Thunderbolt/Volt Switch from Xurkitree, and 2 from most Rotoms (that really helped me win several times) while still beating Marshadow, Mimikyu and most physical stuff.

The others are pretty standard, Firium Z Volcarona was really strong but Psychium Z might've been better to OHKO Toxapex and Nihilego.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)