SPOILERS! Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon In-Game Team Thread

Copy/Pasting this from the Datamine thread:
https://richi3f.github.io/pokemon-team-planner/#decidueye arbok octillery mudsdale torkoal scrafty

A bit of explanation for each:
Decidueye: It was either this or Incineroar, and quite honestly this seems more like my thing. The design is just cool in general.
Arbok: Will grab one with Intimidate. It's always been kind of cool, and with one this early it can beat Hala decently well.
Octillery: That movepool. I just hope they don't place its good TMs late again. (Evolves pretty early too so not too baggage-y)
Mudsdale: Ground-types are something I've always wanted to use. Mudsdale is one of the best ones you can get in Alola in-game. Plus a horse Pokemon seems cool.
Torkoal: Drought boosted attacks are godly. Plus I've always liked Torkoal.
Scrafty: Because I want a Fighting-type and a Dark-type and this gives me both reliably. Even though I said I wasn't going to GTS scum I'll make an exception for this. Also benefits from tutors (gets Knock Off through them; not sure how last Knock Off is though as a tutor), and where else am I gonna try to use this thing?

Yeah, funny how my team has nothing above RU. But I wanted to be more fun with this. There is an alternate to this though, namely GTS scumming for a Corphish, and get a Hariyama (or maybe even Hawlucha) as my Fighting-type. Plus replace Mudsdale with a Special Attacker (Espeon? Ribombee?) because fuck burns.

Last edited:
https://richi3f.github.io/pokemon-team-planner/national_dex.html#nidoking gastrodon volcarona mimikyu

All traded in as level 1 Pokes, max IVs, EV trained, with any TMs I could give them but no Heart scale or tutor moves. I don't mind that they'll be OP in the early game - it's not like you get trophy points for knocking out Pidgeys. And yeah I'm a bit worried about the EXP boost from trades, but I'm kind of hoping that turning off Exp.Share AND having only 4 (randomly selected) Pokemon balances that out. The 4-random thing is the biggest issue IMO; I limited myself to 4 specifically selected Pokemon during SM and still ran into problems, so I expect I'll get into some severe trouble later. But that's OK, challenges are the most memorable part of the Pokemon games, by far. (Misty/Whitney/Cynthia/Ghetsis, anyone?)

I expect Mimikyu (Parian) to carry from the start into the mid game, possibly early-mid game as its frailty starts to become an issue. If I get early access to the Ghost or Fairy Z-crystals, maybe less so, but that's unlikely. Nidoking (Nilbog) could carry me through most of mid to late game assuming Moon stones are cheeseable via Pelago, (Nidoking from level 16? Yes please) though its movepool kind of stinks outside of the TMs I'm lucky enough to get during playthrough or have given it already (Ice Beam).*

If the level curve ends up reaching high in the late game I might actually get use out of Volcarona (Khepri), rather than having to use Larvesta as revive-fodder. Maybe even for the elite 4? I don't fancy my chances if I'm still lugging around a max Sp.Atk Larvesta by then.

Gastrodon (Gregor) is going to end up carrying me. I can feel it in my bones. Recover/Toxic on a bulky mon is just too good against anything that doesn't run grass or doesn't have a crazy Z move.

* On moves: My intent for the Pokemon was to use the playthrough as an excuse to train anything that was OU viable (read: on the rankings) that I didn't already have, hence the stats/EV training etcetera. I gave them any TMs I had from SM who were listed on their analyses that they could be taught to save time, but no TMs outside that. Those moves are then locked down - I'm not letting myself replace them even if it makes sense during the playthough (e.g. I'm probably not going to get much use out of Hidden Power Psychic on Larvesta). Them's the breaks.

I almost included Hawlucha, but it's only really usable on Rain/E-terrain teams and anyway I hated the idea of having to lug around dozens of expendable items to proc its ability. Would have trained a Pelipper too if I'd known there were Defog tutors... although I don't think I would have wanted to play with a Rain team anyway, so maybe not.

Just a question, as I do not want to look at the datamine thread to keep myself from being spoiled, but are there other version exclusives apart from the ones we already know and if so, which ones? I want to start thinking about a team, but it would not be helpful if I could not catch one of them.

I already have my team plan in mind, but it has one limiting factor - whether Pokemon Bank will be compatible with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon as soon as they are released (or at least, as soon as I get my copy).

That team plan, and its two alternatives, are restricted to reptilian or dinosaurian Pokemon ("or" because I'm including birds).

Compared to the team I used in Moon (which had an extra restriction: Gen VII Pokemon only) I'm only repeating Decidueye and Kommo-o.

Naturally, Salamence will take the Mega Evolution spot (if Mega Stones are available before post-game) and Kommo-o's new Z-Move will the flagship of the team.

Outside of ROM Hacks, it will be the first time I'll use Arbok, Braviary, Salamence and Hawlucha in a story playthrough.

If Pokemon Bank will not be initially compatible with USUM (and I won't be able to transfer a Level 1 Jangmo-o), that means Kommo-o will be very late-game like before, and I won't be willing to grind levels for it like in Moon, so I have these alternatives...

Last time I used Honchkrow was in my first Diamond save... which means it was 10 years ago.

And if having five Pokemon that are weak to Ice is not your cup of salt (even though I had four in Moon)...

... I can always get a Tyranitar ready. Like Salamence, it would be the first time I'm using it to clear the story outside of ROM Hacks (Pokemon Pyrite comes to my mind)

Last edited:
Does anyone know all the ingame trades of this game with their location and pokemon needed?

Also, what giftmons are there?

I know Eevee as an egg and Hawlucha as a trade for Spearow in the first Island, Pokemon Center before the first trial

Also, when do they give us Popiel/Poison UB, so I can soft reset for it

Well, a new pokemon game, a new team to start off. When I first started Moon, I went with Primarina, then did Decidueye and Incineroar for my secondary runs on Sun. Now, time to go full circle and return to Primarina... and return back to the 20+ mon rotation team nonsense, made possible by the glorious Exp. Broke. With so many mons, I won't be overleveled but rather a tad underleveled at times, but it makes the experience that much more enjoyable and fun.

The team I have planned thus far is Primarina, Arbok, Honchkrow, Mismagius, Salamence, Jynx, Hawlucha, Magnezone, Garchomp, Gardevoir, Rhyperior, Genesect (Pokebank transfer), Celebi (Pokebank transfer), Absol, Salazzle, Alolan Marowak, Gyarados, Manectric, Sudowoodo, and Arcanine. Should I decide to not do those two transfers, I'll instead grab Tyrannitar and Tropius to take over. Some garbage mons, some good mons, some I've never used before since Colosseum, and some I'm well versed in.

Thought I would post my current ideas here and get some feedback. I plan on getting UM (I got Sun last time around, I was thinking it would be cool to mix it up this time around). I have a few decent ones I was toying around with, feedback/suggestions would be really awesome!

So why the hell is there two starters? The Decidueye is actually going to be a shiny Rowlet I bred last gen that I've been itching to have a reason to use. The Incineroar is going to be my intended starter (as much as I'm not a big fan of it, I've never tried and and wouldn't mind giving it a chance). Naganadel, if its true you can get this early game, why on earth would you not use it? It's fast (a massive problem when it comes to teambuilding for these games, everything new is pretty slow arguably), it has great offensive typing, and a more than usable movepool to back it (not to mention fairly easy to evolve). Gastrodon in itself is such a tank, and its coverage is nothing to slack at; its such a reliable mon. Sylveon was then the next candidate because I really wanted a fairy type, and its unfortunately my only good option w/o stacking too many weaknesses/repetitive typings while not be underwhelming. Lastly, Bewear (Bobo in my book lol) was added because I was lacking an immediately strong physical attacker, and fluffly allows it to be pretty bulky.

This version is arguably more well rounded (especially in the speed department), however there are a couple glaring issues:
  1. This team is a lot harder to train (namely Metagross and Volcarona)
  2. I'll eventually get rid of my intended starter (Incineroar) for Volcarona instead, so I'm playing w/o my original starter, which tbh is going to be kinda weird. (Primarina could patch my Fairy and starter issue, but I've used it for a very short time in a incomplete run through of Moon, so idk how I'd feel about that)
  3. It's lacking in the physical attacker department compared to the first version (Metagross is the only thing with immediate power, which I probably can't use until late game. Decidueye is gonna need SD to be strong enough, and Gastrodon is...well....Gastrodon.)
This imo is a step up from the previous team, despite the new problems with it.

This version features Primarina as the starter insted of Incineroar, which does solve my Fairy issue I had from before. Minior was added since Shell Smash is pretty dangerous, and it has really strong coverage to back it up (in general its a really fun mon). Alolawak was added since, despite the fact I already have a Ghost type, its absurdly strong (and also a very badass mon I've been wanting to use). For the last slot, I was really scratching my head, but for now I put Zoroark since its fast, is a relatively decent special attacker, and Illusion is really cool (it's probably the mon that'd be first to be replaced if I change anything though, I'd be down for anything, no specific mold I'm looking for aside from avoiding mons sharing types).

Imo, this version ties with the 2nd as the team I like the best.

Sidenote: If Naganadel is harder to obtain than once thought, I would probably want to use Toxapex in its place (none of these teams really had room for it unfortunately).

Edit: Decided to rework some stuff again, and I came up with this:

3 mons are weak to Flying, but barring Hawlucha, ttar should do a decent job. Crabomiable, despite how slow it is, is extremely powerful and has a more than usable movepool.

Last edited:
It maaaaaay be a bit early to do this, but I nominate Hawlucha (Trade) for S+++++ ingame tier

He is just fantastic in the game, rigth ability and rigth nature, and soloes several inportant trainers thank to STAB + Hone Claws

Is just so good

It maaaaaay be a bit early to do this, but I nominate Hawlucha (Trade) for S+++++ ingame tier

He is just fantastic in the game, rigth ability and rigth nature, and soloes several inportant trainers thank to STAB + Hone Claws

Is just so good
I'll assume Unburden with Sitrus would be the way to go, as Sitrus activates at 50% and are easy to replenish with Poke Pelago.

I'll assume Unburden with Sitrus would be the way to go, as Sitrus activates at 50% and are easy to replenish with Poke Pelago.
Also, Items like Mental Herb and Power Herb are restored after battle I think

You can get a Power Herb very early thanks to Lurantis Totem

My team will (hopefully) look like this:

(For reference ig, my Sun team was Primarina/Raichu-A/Event Snorlax/Arcanine/Lycanroc-Day/Dhelmise)

Decidueye: I may have picked Popplio originally and loved it to death, but Decidueye might be my favorite starter from this gen, so it gets the spotlight this time. Nice offenses, cool typing throughout the line (especially for Hala, Water trial, and Lurantis), and Spirit Shackle (though trapping isn't that useful in game) is one if my favorite moves and animations ever.

Zoroark: Fast, powerful, versatile, learns a ton of TMs and tutors, and Illusion makes for funny animation shenanigans. What's not to love?

Noivern: I like a challenge and need extra assurance versus Hala, sooooooooooo Noibat is in. Also, I rarely use Dragon-types (from what I remember, I've only ever used Mega Charizard-X (X), Altaria (AS) and Garchomp (Pt) in the past) and an early game chance to get one is exciting. Also, B O O M B U R S T.

Dugtrio: I needed something for Electric, Rock (pre-Decidueye), and Fairy-types, and the hair is glorious, so Duggy seemed like a good choice. Plus, if Mantine Surf is easy enough, I could get Stealth Rock on this thing, with sounds like fun.

Jynx: Early game Ice-type and the last time I used an Ice-type (Weavile bred with Ice Punch in Platinum), it was amazing, so heck yeah, I'll give this a shot.

Octillery: The only Pokemon I've used in a playthrough before on the team (though it was in Omicron, a fan game. Also, I used Duggy-K in Red), Octillerycs movepool and great mixed offenses are things that I loved it in Omicrin for, and will especially love now that it doesn't have to have Waterfall. Plus, I love Octillery's cry, it's just funny.

Note: This is likely for Ultra Sun. Stakataka and the legendary exclusives don't interest me enough to get UM even if it sounds smarter.

Basically my Moon team with some changes, with Hawlucha replacing Primeape because of Unburden shenanigans, Mudsdale replacing Alolan Dugtrio and Magnezone replacing Alolan Raichu because the latter two kept on fainting during my Moon run, and Tsareena replacing Lilligant because I'm getting Ultra Sun.

I'm actually considering on getting a Claydol on my team over Mudsdale because that type combo sounds neat, especially when you have a likely amount of Poisons and shit running on (the weaknesses suck and make it liability against a lot of the totems but it's functional at least). I'll GTS scum for it though, since it arrives so late (I'll make an exception for Torkoal though because the Fire-types in Alola either overlap with typing or I've already used it, as in Magmar's line in Blue (Plus a Specially-based Fire-type since I've used Arcanine in Sun)). It also gives me another special attacker, giving me more of a balance. It'll probably be ass, but who knows.

I'm planning on something like this:

I used Decidueye in Sun, but I think I'm going to do it again. I just don't care for either of the other starters very much.
A lot of people are using Dusk Lycanroc, but there's good reason for that--- it's just cool. In Sun, my team for the first two islands was just Dartrix and Charjabug, so it'll be nice not having a glaring Fire+Rock weakness this time.
Bruxish is for sure. I really like its movepool/stats/concept and think it would be very fun to use ingame. It helps that its encounter rate got buffed in USUM.
I'm less sure about Electivire and Bisharp. I might only use one, or neither of them. They're just additional ideas for stuff that might be fun to catch and use once I reach Ula'ula. I've never used a Dark type on my main team during a main run, so it would be nice to finally do that with Bisharp.
I want to leave one slot open for some sort of "spontaneous" team member that I happen to encounter and like. I did this with two slots in Sun, and they ended up going to Nebby and Ariados. Weird, right? I didn't plan on using the main Legendary at all. And Ariados? Seriously? But I'm really glad it worked out that way. Part of the fun of a Pokemon journey is making memories with your own special Pokemon, regardless of how good they are.
On the other hand, it's possible that my "spontaneous" slot(s) end up going to a Legendary/UB again. I'm withholding judgment on possibly using Necrozma (and if so, in which forme) until I play through the game and learn the story behind it. There's a lot of people saying they like Poipole/Naganadel, and I'm open to the possibility of using that too.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Going into UM without a solid plan on what to use. I want to only use Pokemon that couldn't be found in S/M, though. Like for UM I picked up Buneary from route 1 and Zoura from the trainer school then pretty much dropped Litten. Ekans and Flabebe could make decent (maybe temporary) partners (for beating Hala at least). I also picked up Manectric. Could really use a Water-Ground type it seems, so I'll look into getting Swampert from Island Scan. So my current team is this:

https://richi3f.github.io/pokemon-team-planner/national_dex.html#nidoking gastrodon volcarona mimikyu

All traded in as level 1 Pokes, max IVs, EV trained, with any TMs I could give them but no Heart scale or tutor moves. I don't mind that they'll be OP in the early game - it's not like you get trophy points for knocking out Pidgeys. And yeah I'm a bit worried about the EXP boost from trades, but I'm kind of hoping that turning off Exp.Share AND having only 4 (randomly selected) Pokemon balances that out. The 4-random thing is the biggest issue IMO; I limited myself to 4 specifically selected Pokemon during SM and still ran into problems, so I expect I'll get into some severe trouble later. But that's OK, challenges are the most memorable part of the Pokemon games, by far. (Misty/Whitney/Cynthia/Ghetsis, anyone?)

I expect Mimikyu (Parian) to carry from the start into the mid game, possibly early-mid game as its frailty starts to become an issue. If I get early access to the Ghost or Fairy Z-crystals, maybe less so, but that's unlikely. Nidoking (Nilbog) could carry me through most of mid to late game assuming Moon stones are cheeseable via Pelago, (Nidoking from level 16? Yes please) though its movepool kind of stinks outside of the TMs I'm lucky enough to get during playthrough or have given it already (Ice Beam).*

If the level curve ends up reaching high in the late game I might actually get use out of Volcarona (Khepri), rather than having to use Larvesta as revive-fodder. Maybe even for the elite 4? I don't fancy my chances if I'm still lugging around a max Sp.Atk Larvesta by then.

Gastrodon (Gregor) is going to end up carrying me. I can feel it in my bones. Recover/Toxic on a bulky mon is just too good against anything that doesn't run grass or doesn't have a crazy Z move.

* On moves: My intent for the Pokemon was to use the playthrough as an excuse to train anything that was OU viable (read: on the rankings) that I didn't already have, hence the stats/EV training etcetera. I gave them any TMs I had from SM who were listed on their analyses that they could be taught to save time, but no TMs outside that. Those moves are then locked down - I'm not letting myself replace them even if it makes sense during the playthough (e.g. I'm probably not going to get much use out of Hidden Power Psychic on Larvesta). Them's the breaks.

I almost included Hawlucha, but it's only really usable on Rain/E-terrain teams and anyway I hated the idea of having to lug around dozens of expendable items to proc its ability. Would have trained a Pelipper too if I'd known there were Defog tutors... although I don't think I would have wanted to play with a Rain team anyway, so maybe not.
Actually, you can get Volcarona early in the game...you just need to find a wild Larvesta, and be patient. It’ll appear via SOS, like Salamance

It’s in that cave in Lush Jungle. Larvesta is incredibly hard to find, but Volcarona is even harder.

Last edited:
Actually, you can get Volcarona early in the game...you just need to find a wild Larvesta, and be patient. It’ll appear via SOS, like Salamance

It’s in that cave in Lush Jungle. Larvesta is incredibly hard to find, but Volcarona is even harder.
You need Machamp to access the area where Larvesta is found, right? If so, unless Machamp comes much earlier, it's not catchable until late.

This took a lot more thought than I imagined it would...

I used Decidueye in Sun so I'm using Incineroar this time, and I built the team from there. Despite using the former way too many times, Magnezone and [Thick Fat] Hariyama were so I could actually pick up some Pokemon on Melemele Island and they help round out defensive coverage (Flying might be a problem, though Stamina Mudsdale's Rock attacks will help with that). Honestly I'm most excited to use Araquanid and Hariyama, since I've never really tried them before yet.

It's a shame a lot of the Pokemon are still pretty slow, and there weren't a lot of other Electric-types added to the Pokedex... I considered using Pom-Pom Oricorio or Togedemaru, but they didn't provide a lot of what I was looking for (at least on paper). It's a little frustrating that there's a low number of Gen VII Pokemon, I always like to try out new 'mons, but sometimes it just can't be helped...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)