OU Umbreon

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No.

An Umbreon lacking Foul Play is a shitty Umbreon. This isn't even a contest.

If you want to use Umbreon but lack Heal Bell and Foul Play, then don't use Umbreon. Very simple.

No.

An Umbreon lacking Foul Play is a shitty Umbreon. This isn't even a contest.

If you want to use Umbreon but lack Heal Bell and Foul Play, then don't use Umbreon. Very simple.
Dude, I'm just saying that I've always seen alternative notes for unobtainable moves for x and y. I dont think there is any reason to be up in arms about it. People like to use pokemon they like and not just completely competitive use, so I dont think it's really fair for you to tell me not just a pokemon. I use a lanturn in OU and most people would say that you shouldn't ever run it without heal bell on it, but the page for that provides alternatives for when that's impossible and I love that (I run it with thunderbolt instead). Some of the lesser informed turn to smogon for help and/or advice and I feel that they also need to be catered for. Saying all this I appreciate that you should obviously put the best sets as the actual set, all I ask for is a little note section acknowledging the non PS users. (I feel that I should note that this post is not meant in anyway to insult the original poster, although I admit to being quite insulted by the moderator, whose response was a bit sharp and not very sympathetic)

Last edited:
Dude, I'm just saying that I've always seen alternative notes for unobtainable moves for x and y. I dont think there is any reason to be up in arms about it. People like to use pokemon they like and not just completely competitive use, so I dont think it's really fair for you to tell me not just a pokemon. I use a lanturn in OU and most people would say that you shouldn't ever run it without heal bell on it, but the page for that provides alternatives for when that's impossible and I love that (I run it with thunderbolt instead). Some of the lesser informed turn to smogon for help and/or advice and I feel that they also need to be catered for. Saying all this I appreciate that you should obviously put the best sets as the actual set, all I ask for is a little note section acknowledging the non PS users. (I feel that I should note that this post is not meant in anyway to insult the original poster, although I admit to being quite insulted by the moderator)
I've never seen an analysis that has ever specified what's obtainable in-game or not, except for event-only pokemon or movesets (Gamestop Dogs). Again, the point of the analysis are to determine/list what is the MOST viable moveset/role a given pokemon can play in the current metagame. The moves and other options sections list other possibilities, and you may find a suitable replacement move (like TB on Lanturn), but having a specific section for in-game only is pointless and not the focus of these analysis. In the case of Umbreon, there are simply no better options than foul play and heal bell.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Please stop this conversation at once.

Smogon analyses describes the best sets based on the best available combinations, no matter how hard it is to get in real time. In-game XY simply does not offer good options like Knock Off, Foul Play, Heal Bell, and Hyper Voice that are offered in tutor and event moves in previous generations, but we really don't make exceptions to this. Analyses are sort of, in a way, catered to online simulator play, so I apologize, but a section for XY-exclusive Umbreons isn't worth it (as is other things like XY Zapdos which cannot have Heat Wave or Defog).

one could imagine a set 4 umbreon like physical wall? Would not it be better? Whereas Foul play brings out faster utilizer of sword dance. Otherwise what's the point foul play? Umbreon defender takes special 2Kho from Excadrill Earthquake of life orb, while physical defender takes a measly 37% then allowing it to get it off with Foul Play. I'm not an expert and I know that, however, the role of physical wall would always be outclassed by Mandibuzz, though it might be an idea "better" I think (?)

one could imagine a set 4 umbreon like physical wall? Would not it be better? Whereas Foul play brings out faster utilizer of sword dance. Otherwise what's the point foul play? Umbreon defender takes special 2Kho from Excadrill Earthquake of life orb, while physical defender takes a measly 37% then allowing it to get it off with Foul Play. I'm not an expert and I know that, however, the role of physical wall would always be outclassed by Mandibuzz, though it might be an idea "better" I think (?)
Yeah physically defensive is really terribly outclassed by Mandibuzz and even Tyranitar... Specially Defensive should definitely be the only spread.

Yeah physically defensive is really terribly outclassed by Mandibuzz and even Tyranitar... Specially Defensive should definitely be the only spread.
Here in fact. Despite umbreon is one of my favorite pokemon in OU I have to admit that there would be nothing. Too many pokemon control it all. 2/3 of the OU metagame. With the addition of fairy her way becomes even more intricate and is outclassed in addition, as a special wall, from sylveon that has now taken the place also vaporeon as it has a more solid typing.
On a positive note, however, we can say that in UU definitely breaks. At least here there are not entire teams that destroy him LOL

Should there be a mention of Baby-Doll Eyes? It's a priority Attack drop to make Umbreon bulkier on the physical side. Use Toxic on the switch, when they bring out a physical attacker. Then Baby-Doll Eyes, followed by Wish etc, racking up some poison damage.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Should there be a mention of Baby-Doll Eyes? It's a priority Attack drop to make Umbreon bulkier on the physical side. Use Toxic on the switch, when they bring out a physical attacker. Then Baby-Doll Eyes, followed by Wish etc, racking up some poison damage.
Meh as it was said before Umbreon needs all of Wish/Protect/Foul Play/Heal Bell to not be totally outclassed and actually effective.
A set like you propose would propably have Wish/Protect/BDE/Toxic so you have no attacking moves and would be walled by every poison/steel type you could throw out Wish+Protect for Moonlight to have room for foul play but moonlight isn't reliable and has low PP and BDE makes Foul Play hit for less damage which also sucks.

Meh as it was said before Umbreon needs all of Wish/Protect/Foul Play/Heal Bell to not be totally outclassed and actually effective.
A set like you propose would propably have Wish/Protect/BDE/Toxic so you have no attacking moves and would be walled by every poison/steel type you could throw out Wish+Protect for Moonlight to have room for foul play but moonlight isn't reliable and has low PP and BDE makes Foul Play hit for less damage which also sucks.
All very true. To deal with Poison/Steel types you could always run Yawn and force them to sleep or switch out. You would have to run Toxic/BDE/Yawn with Protect or Moonlight in the last slot. Not sure how good it would be. It would need entry hazard support for a start.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview said:
Blissey or Chansey are clerics with much more sheer special bulk
Not sure how this got through 2 grammar checks; it sounds really odd. Probably just need to take the word "sheer" out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)