SM UU Underrated in UnderUsed

This team started off as a test for underrated Pokemon such as Persian-Alola and Salazzle. After considerable tweaking, this team has performed very well in UU.

Persian-Alola @ Darkinium-Z
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Parting Shot
- U-Turn / Toxic
- Taunt
- Foul Play
Alolan Persian was one of the first members of my team, and appealed to me because of its amazing ability to function as a lead and pivot. I threw its EVs into Defense rather than HP to maximize its physical bulk by taking advantage of Fur Coat. As such, it serves as a lead with both Taunt and scouting moves, and also as a pivot. Fur Coat grants it amazing defense that allows it to switch in to many physical attackers and soak up Knock Offs. With Parting Shot, it augments the bulk of whoever it switches to, and Z-Parting Shot has the potential to flip the game by essentially reviving a crippled ally. I have been alternating between Toxic and U-Turn, because they each have different benefits. U-Turn may look redundant along side Parting Shot, but it can break sashes and Sturdy, allowing Persian to attack without the commitment of staying in. It can also surprise the opponent, allowing it to switch out against Defiant switch-ins. Taunt is primarily used to avoid Stealth Rock and Toxic, the former of which usually comes from physical attackers that Persian can stay in on. Foul Play throws a surprising amount of opponents off guard and makes Persian my only solid answer to a boosted Scizor.

Salazzle @ Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Toxic
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
I fell in love with Salazzle from my first Pokemon Sun play-through, and was determined to find her competitive niche. Her stats and ability seem very mismatched at first glance, since Corrosion is suited for stalling but she is built like a frail cleanup sweeper. However, a wide variety of support moves makes it quite useful. Her primary function is to poison opposing walls. A combination of Substitute and Disable, along with her amazing speed tier, virtually guarantees a Toxic. Certain opponents can be outright stalled, such as bulky ground types with only Earthquake. I've been running Fire Blast to deal considerable damage if need be, although I've been considering Flamethrower to sacrifice power for accuracy.

Decidueye @ Maranga Berry / Lum Berry
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- U-Turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Spirit Shackle
Decidueye was chosen for its unique move Spirit Shackle coupled with recovery. It is used to trap bulky water types and Magic Guard Clefable. Swords Dance allows it to set up on its trapped foe and puts pressure on the opponent after their trapped Pokemon has been knocked out. U-Turn scouts potential switch-ins and adds to the team's momentum. Maranga Berry bolsters its special defense to let it handle special attackers much better, although Lum Berry is used primarily to heal Scald and Flamethrower burns when stalling. Decidueye works well overall, especially in conjunction with a Parting Shot from Persian.

Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Moonblast
Primarina was chosen for its key defensive typing and good special defense. It functions as a tank and switch-in to special attackers that Decidueye can't wall. I invested in max special attack to maximize damage output, and Moonblast plus Scald grant nice coverage, with Moonblast punishing dragons and Scald burning steel type switch-ins such as Scizor and Metagross. I use a RestTalk set to increase longevity and use Primarina as a status absorber, and it works fairly well despite limiting its movepool options.

Donphan @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
Donphan was chosen for hazard control, which is very important given my habit of switching often. It essentially functions as a physical version of my Primarina, soaking hits from physical attackers such as Krookodile and Mega Aerodactyl. Like Primarina, I invested in my offensive stat to hit as hard as possible.

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
Aerodactyl was chosen to be my cleanup sweeper, and recently replaced Hydreigon as a physical sweeper since Primarina is my primary special sweeper. The rest of my team has no real answer to some fairies such as Togekiss, so Iron Head serves to KO them. I use the standard EdgeQuake combo for late-game cleaning, and Ice Fang is used to punish bulky ground types that want to switch in to absorb a Stone Edge.

Conclusion
This team has worked well for a while, yet lacks a consistent answer to defensive Clefable, Togekiss and offensive stat boosters. Aerodactyl and Primarina have fairly tentative movesets, and the EV spreads on Primarina or Donphan could definitely be adjusted. I appreciate any and all criticism you may have, no matter how big or small your suggestion may be. Thank you for reading, I can't wait to read your comments!

*bump* Really guys, I'd appreciate any feedback you have. If there aren't any flaws, which I highly doubt, just let me know. Thanks.

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey dude, looking at your team it's difficult to discern what the main focus or win condition is. Seeing as I would classify this kind of build as Heavy Offence, I would like to start from there and hopefully move forward. Be prepared for a good amount of changes.

This team lacks adequate answers to some common UU threats, I will outline them in the following team break down and hopefully be able to suggest decent changes to help you against the tier. Firstly, I am going to explore how I see each member of your team and their relevant role within the tier and compare it to something that I would consider more effective.
Persian: From what I can see, this Pokemon is your pseudo stall breaker + momentum Pokemon. Something that I could see working much better over it that has similar bulk and better resistances would be fast/utility Gliscor. Gliscor has arguably better typing, access to Taunt, U-turn and Stealth Rocks; which is important for freeing up Donphan's team slot.

Salazzle: This Pokemon seems to be a haphazard answer to Fairy type Pokemon; but it's completely shut down by Pokemon such as SpD Gliscor and CM Clefable. Your team is in desperate need of a better hazard controller over Donphan and retaining the defensive utility of a Poison type is nice. I am going to suggest running Tentacruel over this slot. Tentacruel is able to set Toxic Spikes, whilst providing Rapid Spin support, letting you control the hazard game. You could choose to run Acid Spray to 1v1 Pokemon such as Calm Mind Clefable too! Being quite versatile due to its speed and given the nature of this team I am going to suggest a slightly offensive spread that lets it beat most bulky grounds 1v1 including: Nidoking, Krookodile & Nidoqueen.

Decidueye: This is your water check and it's susceptible to burns, it can't switch in versus heavy hitters such as Primarina & Mega-Blastoise, and invites a ton of other threats in, for example: Scizor, Togekiss & Mega-Aerodactyl just to name a few. Nasty Plot Celebi is much better balance breaker and water check, it also has a much better speed tier.

Primarina: This Pokemon is really good atm, keeping this Pokemon but tweaking its set is in your best interest. I feel running a Choice Specs set seems like a cool idea, but if you're not okay with this, I will suggest a bulkier spread over this one. Specs would allow you to break teams mid game, forcing in the opponents special walls, and doubling into the the next Pokemon I am going to suggest makes Celebi's life a lot easier.

Donphan: Since we've added a Stealth Rocker and Rapid Spinner, Donphan's not needed. Tentacruel and Gliscor are also able to check a broader range of Pokemon within the tier. I am going to suggest Choice Band Scizor over Donphan. Scizor gives you some nice U-turn momentum as well as priority. It is also able to Pursuit trap Special Walls that might give Celebi a hard time.

M-Aerodactyl: One of the best Pokemon in the tier currently. The set you're currently running seems a tad redundant to me, M-Aerodactyl is usually more effective as a set up sweeper with Hone Claws, or with Pursuit. Since we will be running Pursuit on Scizor, Hone Claws m-Aero seems fitting, it also appreciates Pokemon such as Scizor being lured by Celebi.
Visual Changes:
-->

-->

-->

-->

--> Specs
--> Hone Claws
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 20 SpD / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 88 HP / 204 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Acid Spray
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes

Celebi @ Ghostium Z / Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Fire
- Nasty Plot

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Scald

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wing Attack
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Hone Claws
I have made considerable changes to your team, and you may not be happy about it, but I've tried to keep each change on par with this teams older members. Gliscor is a better Ground type than Donphan, it also retains U-turn & Taunt, as well as a better attack to spam in: Earthquake (as opposed to Foul Play). Tentacruel, has a much better match up versus bulky waters & fairy types, it also has nice synergy with Gliscor, affording you a better Rapid Spinner than Donphan, as well as Toxic Spikes. Celebi is a much better set up Grass type than Decidueye; it has a better time breaking bulky builds and can lure Pokemon such as Latias & Scizor, which it can KO with +2 z-Shadow Ball. Specs Primarina is now your main breaker as well as still checking all the same Pokemon rest/talk does through its typing alone, albeit with less survivability. Since you don't require Donphan any more I opted to give you Banded Scizor, which offers you pursuit trap, momentum and powerful priority. Lastly, I added Hone Claws M-Aerodactyl as another win condition.

Let me know how you feel about these changes, I am happy to explain things further if you PM me, good luck on the UU ladder!

Thanks for the awesome rate, pokemon sparrow, you answered a lot of questions I couldn't quite put into words. I really appreciate your suggestions, especially since you made an effort to keep their roles intact. I have past experience using Gliscor, Scizor, and Tentacruel so I should be able to plug and play without heavy modifications.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)