Underused Pokemon Matchmaking Phase 2 [Week 29 - Nasty Plot Infernape]

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
With a close vote, Dr Ciel squeezes by to nab his third win for Matchmaking, making him the 4th member of the HoF. Congratulations!

This week, I decided to go with a mon who has three heads, which are better than two. I am talking about...

Submissions end Friday.

Last edited:

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hydreigon and Nidoqueen

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

NASqueen (Nidoqueen) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Pretty simple core here again. Choiced Drei runs U-turn and U-turns out on say a Florges switchin, Nidoqueen then comes out and threatens Florges with a very strong Sheer Force Life Orb boosted Sludge Wave, which pretty much annihilates all forms of Florges. If I could choose 3 pokemon I'd prolly go with something that can take out Bulky Normal-types (like Porygon2 and Snorlax) that switch into these two like Mienshao, Heracross, or Machamp, making the synergy really nice between these 3. But yeah, here's the core :]

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Roserade.

LO Hydreigon + Spikes Roserade form a fearsome duo in UU, as both Pokemon support each other in multiple ways. Roserade is one of the premier users of Spikes in UU, and LO Hydreigon immensely enjoys Spikes support, allowing to to rack up even more KOs while also wearing down defensive threats. Roserade also eliminates Hydreigon's #1 enemies, Fairy types, with Sludge Bomb. On the other side, Hydreigon can defeat common Steel types that Roserade struggles with, such as Mega Aggron and Doublade.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower / Fire Blast
- Roost

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm / Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder

Last edited:
You might be looking at this core and asking: Cactrune, why didn't you just pick the good ol' classic Hydreigon/Doublade core that we know so well? Well, it's because somebody already took that one I feel that Hydreigon has better offensive synergy with Metagross, and they form just as strong of a team together.

Hydreigon is one of UU's most familiar and splashable wallbreakers. It doesn't have too many different sets, but its raw stats and great movepool make it the threat that it is in UU. It can be customized to threaten offense, balance or stall, but it can still get stopped cold by a select few 'mons. Some special walls, like Blissey and Porygon2, are too annoying and inconvenient for even the mighty stallbreaker Hydreigon to break past. A number of Fighting-types can also come in and check Hydreigon without issue. Worst of all, common Fairy-types like Whimsicott and Florges almost always get a free switch-in on Hydreigon, which can kill your momentum instantly in a match. Well, I have a great partner here that can solve many of those issues.

Metagross is a newer drop, and it's quickly proven itself to be a very interesting Pokemon, with a combination of good coverage, bulky stats, and cool typing that allow it to take on a surprisingly large number of UU threats. However, it hates quite a few of UU's walls, namely defensive Fire, Ground, Dark, and Water-types, which annoy it to no end with their STAB moves and status conditions. Hydreigon can force out or outright destroy many of these defensive threats, and in exchange, Metagross defeats a large number of special walls, Fairy-types, and Fighting-types, often with its STAB moves alone. Together, both of these 'mons can hit hard and threaten a number of common cores, which I believe is this pair's advantage over the tried-and-true Doublade/Hydreigon core. It hits a lot harder right off the bat while maintaining a lot of defensive utility, and that's why I think you should vote for it.

Side note: I prefer Scarf Hydreigon for this core, because it can easily pivot out into a wallbreaking Metagross set, causing maximum damage in many situations.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf / Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast / Taunt
- U-turn / Roost

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpDef
Adamant / Naive Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch / Earthquake
- Ice Punch / Earthquake / Grass Knot

Last edited:

Toxicroak

Item:Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Nature Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 SpD/ 252 Spe

-Swords Dance
-Gunk Shot
-Drain Punch
-Sucker Punch

Hydreigon
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 4 SpD / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature

- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Roost

Hydreigon has trouble with fairies aswell as special walls in general. Toxicroak can easily setup on these mons and/or KO them with stab gunk shot. In return hydreigon beats stuff like doublade and fat psychic types. They have decent defensive synergy on top of that with hydreigon being immune to psychic and ground and toxicroak resisting fairy. Other dreigon sets could work pretty well to offensively check stuff like mence.

Last edited:
Reactions: nv

LRXC

ADV 1v1 Pioneer
is a Community Contributor
Hey Everyone! LittleRunnerXC here bringin you a quick Hydreigon matchmaking post. I am surprised this combo was not posted yet, because it is a very threatening combo with great offensive and defensive synergy. That combo is Hydreigon+Chandelure!

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball

Hydreigon+Chandelure is a very common, but effective offensive core. Many people decide to run the wallbreaker set, or the stallbreaker set. But I really like Choice Scarf Hydriegon at the moment because it is unexpected, and can really net some surprise KO's. Choice Scarf Hydreigon also makes good use of U-turn, being able to bring in Chandelure safely, as well as pivot out of would be threats. Chandelure's set is fairly standard, as it is the amazing Substitute Calm mind set. This set works amazingly with Hydreigon, because of its ability to check fairy types such as Florges, and some steel types that wall Hyreigon. The defensive synergy between the 2 is also insane. Hydreigon is weak to ice, fairy, bug, and fighting. Chandelure is immune to 1, 4x resists 1, and resists the other 2 with ease. Chandelure on the other hand is weak to water, ground, dark, and ghost, and Hydreigon resists all of those, and can still deal with them offensively.

Overall these 2 work very well together and I hope you try them out in some of your teams. Have a great day!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)