UnderUsed Teambuilding Competition Week #13 - Scizor

Congrats to Rasche for their inventive Torkoal team and for winning the week, and thanks for all the submissions, everyone! Next up is...

Pawmot

Pawmot returns to UU after a brief stay in OU, hopefully for a bit longer this time! Pawmot brings a lot of unique qualities to the table, most unique of which being its access to Revival Blessing, which it shares only with the Rabsca line. Revival Blessing allows Pawmot to revive KO'd teammates, a mechanic that hasn't been seen in competitive Pokemon until Generation 9's inception, and one that allows Pawmot to provide a unique supporting role in bringing back teammates according to the needs of the current game state. This is not Pawmot's only valuable trait, however - far from it! Pawmot possesses excellent physical coverage options, including its signature move Double Shock, but also Close Combat, Ice Punch, Seed Bomb, and Crunch. Pawmot also has good natural Speed for UU, outspeeding key metagame threats like Sandy Shocks, Salamence, and Tinkaton. Pawmot is also blessed with 3 useful abilities in Natural Cure, Iron Fist, and Volt Absorb, each of which allows Pawmot additional utility in certain situations. Pawmot's main downside is its low bulk, which alongside its weakness to Ground can make it difficult to bring Pawmot into play easily. Pawmot is one of the most inventive Pokemon introduced in Gen 9, and I'm excited to see what teams are submitted this week with it!

Teambuilding Restrictions:
  • The team should be built in the Scarlet and Violet UnderUsed format.
  • The team must include Pawmot.
Submission Deadline: Friday, March 3, 2023 @ 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5).

Last edited:

Corperate n

my bowels turned watery
is a Tiering Contributor
:Armarouge: :Grafaiai: :Hippowdon: :Brambleghast: :Gyarados: :Pawmot:

https://pokepast.es/a2a14daa8d6bc5b4

This team tries to utilise the insane power and great coverage of choice specs armarouge. Most things here are pretty standard, but I wanted to show off tera dark gyarados, which has been a useful set for me with its boosted crunch to better take on certain checks. The pawmot is scarfed, which is my personal favorite set for it. Scarf pawmot is just great at picking things off towards the end of games, and fast revival blessing can be a useful tool in a handful of situations as well. Please enjoy using this.

so uh... i said i would be submitting an air balloon spam team before but accidentally built a team that's way more fun... sorry to dissapoint those air balloon fans out there, but i have more important matters to attend to.

click the sprites for the pokepaste!
:sv/scizor: :sv/pawmot: :sv/tinkaton: :sv/tsareena: :sv/slowking: :sv/salamence:
Double Choice Band Bulky Offense feat. EdgeQuake Salamence

choice band pawmot is incredible. like, it just clicks the button and grabs a kill. check out this calc:

252 Atk Choice Band Pawmot Double Shock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 324-382 (97.8 - 115.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

yeah, good pokemon. it utterly smashes common switchins like quagsire who think that they can spam recovery moves by landing a clean 2HKO most of the time, and the vast majority of the time you will get off those two attacks thanks to your terrific 105 speed tier. plus, you have an awesome priority move in mach punch, which is upped to a respectable 48 base power with iron fist.

scizor is there as another choice band pokemon, easily u-turning out of steels and flyings to let pawmot click buttons. a STAB 60 base power bullet punch in conjunction with pawmot's mach punch gives you solid speed control and revenge killing against pretty much the whole metagame. tinkaton sets up rocks and knocks off talonflame, which both of my choice band users hate. i slotted in bulldoze here because otherwise i lose very badly to magnezone + gengar teams. other than that, its just the average generic special walling that you know tinkaton for. tsareena spins away hazards for stopping scizor and tinkaton from being chipped. it also pressures bulky ground quite well with its strong stab power whip. slowking makes for a deadly future sight + close combat combination with choice band pawmot, as psychic/fighting is very difficult to switch into outside of scream tail (which scizor absolutely owns). physically defensive EVs are here because I already have a tinkaton for special walling. salamence makes up for the small inconsistencies in slowking's physical walling with a bulky intimidate variant. the special defense, max HP, and stone edge are for oricorio-pompom, who otherwise absolutely destroys this team.

Last edited:

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
Hi feeling lazy today so this will be a short post
:pawmot::rotom-mow::tyranitar::salamence::tinkaton::donphan:
LO Paw is a really strong wallbreaker with Mach Punch as solid priority so I wanted to build around that. Mowtom actually turns out to be a fantastic partner for it since it's good at messing with the Ground types that can be annoying like Quag, Hippo and Palossand. Having a strong Grass type option also means I felt comfortable going Ice Punch for the Dragon types. Mowtom gets Tera Poison to wall Quag while giving it some extra defensive utility. NP is pretty good too especially with Tera making the Grass matchup easier. Next I wanted another mon that was helped by Mowtom so I went for SubDD Ttar which really appreciates some extra help for Ground types as well as Slowbro. Rest of the team is pretty self-explanatory: Mence is an offensive mon with Defensive utility which is especially nice for Slither, Tink helps answer special attackers and Donphan is there to Spin. This team doesn't really have any crippling weaknesses aside from Pawmot maybe being a little difficult to get in, so you should be fine against most of the meta. Also this was built before Scizor so it might be weak to it, but I imagine this is all pre-shifts stuff anyway.

Congrats to sleestacks for winning the week and thanks for all the submissions, everyone! Next up is...

Scizor

The bug returns to UU once again, packing the same Technician-boosted Bullet Punches that have punctuated its success ever since DPP. Generation 9 Scizor has some very significant differences from its previous incarnations, however, and these change its playstyle dramatically. Firstly, Scizor lost access to Roost in Generation 9, severely compromising its ability to remain healthy throughout a game and pushing it into more offensive roles. Secondly, Scizor also lost access to Knock Off, meaning that it no longer has the ability to cripple its checks long-term by removing their items, which means Scizor must focus on more direct approaches to doing damage. Not all changes are negative for the bug, though; Scizor also gained access to Close Combat, giving it a much more spammable Fighting-type option that Choice Band sets are sure to appreciate over its previous option in Superpower. Scizor also seems a prime candidate for Terastalization, allowing it to adapt its defensive profile to play around its double Fire weakness with Tera types like Water and Rock, or to strengthen its offensive capabilities even further with Tera types like Steel and Bug. Scizor is also one of the very few privileged non-Flying types to retain access to Defog, giving Scizor valuable supporting potential for its team against hazard setters like Brambleghast and Tinkaton. Altogether, Scizor looks to be putting on a bit of a different performance in Generation 9 - let's see how that shapes up in UU!

Teambuilding Restrictions:
  • The team should be built in the Scarlet and Violet UnderUsed format.
  • The team must include Scizor.
Submission Deadline: Friday, March 10, 2022 @ 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5).

:SV/Grimmsnarl: :SV/Scizor: :SV/Oricorio-Pom-Pom: :SV/Mimikyu: :SV/Salamence: :SV/Sandy Shocks:
https://pokepast.es/23b4fbe380233c9e

Grimmsnarl + Scizor Screens HO

I made this team to utilize the two UU newcomers, Scizor and Grimmsnarl. Grimmsnarl with its Prankster ability is a solid screens setter, and Taunt gives it some utility to stop opponents from setting hazards/setting up. Brick Break is used to combat opposing Screen teams and to punish Tyranitar and Bisharp in a pinch. Scizor returns to UU with an arguably better HO move combo than in Gen 8. Technician Trailblaze all but decimates Quagsire, a Pokemon that would otherwise give it headaches while also increasing its speed (outspeeding Sandy Shocks at +1). Close Combat is a strong addition that allows Scizor to finally break through Steel types and deal large neutral damage in general. The other two moves (Bullet Punch and SD) are pretty self explanatory. Its EV spread allows it to outspeed Adamant Tyranitar, while being slower than Tinkaton, in order to reduce the threat of Encore. Tera Fire is used to eliminate the 4x Fire Weakness and make it immune to burns.

Oricorio-Pom-Pom appreciates being able to boost up behind screens, increasing its sweeping potential, with its solid typing and Tera type. Mimikyu runs a pretty standard SD LO set, except for the addition of Wood Hammer, to deal with pesky Quagsires. Salamence is also your typical Tera Steel Dragon Dance set, and with Screens Support, it is able to snowball much more easily. Its item can be interchangeable, if you value protection against status (Lum) or hazards (Boots). Last, but not least, is Sandy Shocks, which serves as the hazard setter of the team, while generally being productive in matches.

The team has worked well enough for me at least. One mon I have struggled against is Wo-Chien, which is why I made Sandy Shocks Tera Ice. Other changes could probably be made too to help with that matchup, so I am open to any suggestions yall have!

:SV/Cyndaquil:

<Click Sprites for the Import>

Was laddering with this when Scizor originally dropped. My original version was running an offensive pivot set with Boots but it ended up being really lackluster. LO Pawmot can pretty much run through most builds so I based the team originally on that. Talonflame pairs really well as it brings Pawmot or Scizor in with U-turn against Slowking and Tyranitar. Hippowdon is the big glue that gives me rocks, a standard set. Tatsugiri is here because I wanted a spinner that wasn't overly passive. Gardevoir is a key tool to revenge a few setup mons and can be a wincon once the breakers do their job. Mystical Fire can catch Scizor for an OHKO and Trick cripples bulkier stuff. Finally, Banded Scizor creates a nice pivot core with Talon, and Bullet Punch eases the HO matchup. Trailblaze is just here because CB Scizor really doesn't have a good fourth, you might catch a few Quagsire. I think Tera Steel is rather necessary at times in practice for the added power to revenge stuff.

1678315167912.png 1678315187461.png 1678315212165.png 1678315227518.png 1678315243666.png 1678315256850.png

1678315167912.png

Donphan is an excelent member of the team, with spin it is able to allow the team to future port around and volt turn as well to cause residual damage without them being damaged by spikes and rocks esp since slowking commonly eats knocks from tinkaton, and it helps tinkaton stay healthy to check pokemon it wants to deal with instead of getting chipped. Knock allows donphan to make volt turn better versus the opponent as it removes helmets. Tera ground allows it to push additional damage to pokemon such as quagsire, ttar behind screens, slowking, gallade, and more.
1678315187461.png

Scizor is another pokemon of the team that the team loves, the core with kilowattrel allows it to constantly pivot in and out without much fear and being able to apply constant pressure to the opponent. Tera steel makes bullet punch hurt a lot even to resists and helps the HO MU even more as it chunks a lot of mons. Trailblaze is a unique tech 1) i'm being forced to use it for research and 2) it is a nice tech for quagsire which allows it to make sure quagsire just doesnt stuff it out esp with it just setting spikes up​

1678315212165.png

Slowking is the defensive pivot of the team, being able to take on many pokemon such as gallade stabs, tinkaton, special mence, noivern, talon, etc. With future + chilly reception it allows weavile, scizor, and kilowattrel to apply a crap ton of pressure. Tera fairy allows it to take ghost stab in an emergency, such as being able to surf to pressure gengar or to allow it to be a great slither wing counter.

1678315227518.png

Weavile is another great underated pokemon on this team, it applies a shit ton of pressure to most teams as their ice resist is most likely slowking, or tinkaton which can be lured in by tera ground + tera blast, most teams struggle to switch into it and allow themselves to be broken down late game by weavile esp with future port weakening a lot of pokemon. Tera ground allows it to turn the tables on tinkaton. Dropping ice shard kinda sucks and being slower than talon means u can get wisped often or revenge killed but you have slowking for that purpose or kilowattrel can easily pressure it esp since it can roost of the damage and it cares less about burns.​

1678315243666.png

Tinkaton provides a lot of utility to the team, with rocks being obvious, allowing u-turns from scizor to do lasting damage and volt switches from kilowattrel to hurt like a truck especially with knock off being a pain for pokemon such as mence, talon, quagsire, gastrodon, etc. As being knocked off means they have to recover more often instead. Encore allows the team not to be taken advantage by setup sweepers and forces them out, while also forcing pokemon to switch out and burn recovery pp more often and allowing the user to get a more advantageous positioning. Tera ghost allows it to spinblock, be able to check ttar in a pinch with taking neutral damage from eq, and being fighting immune which allows it to gigaton hammer hawlucha.

1678315256850.png

Kilowattrel is the last member of the team, with volt switch it forms a volt turn core with scizor, and is a great abuser of future port as most grounds are more phys. def focused. With two pokemon at base 125 and a priority user I feel confident in the teams ability to handle fast pokemon. Tera flying allows kilowattrel to launch nuclear hurricanes at the opponent.​

<Click Sprites for the Import>

Was laddering with this when Scizor originally dropped. My original version was running an offensive pivot set with Boots but it ended up being really lackluster. LO Pawmot can pretty much run through most builds so I based the team originally on that. Talonflame pairs really well as it brings Pawmot or Scizor in with U-turn against Slowking and Tyranitar. Hippowdon is the big glue that gives me rocks, a standard set. Tatsugiri is here because I wanted a spinner that wasn't overly passive. Gardevoir is a key tool to revenge a few setup mons and can be a wincon once the breakers do their job. Mystical Fire can catch Scizor for an OHKO and Trick cripples bulkier stuff. Finally, Banded Scizor creates a nice pivot core with Talon, and Bullet Punch eases the HO matchup. Trailblaze is just here because CB Scizor really doesn't have a good fourth, you might catch a few Quagsire. I think Tera Steel is rather necessary at times in practice for the added power to revenge stuff.
why is tatsugiri commander and not storm drain?

why is tatsugiri commander and not storm drain?
I ran into quite a few Gardevoir mirrors. If you are using Storm Drain then Gard traces it and walls you, hence why I opted to run Commander despite it doing nothing. Frankly, the number of Water-types running around in the tier (that actually carry Water STAB) is pretty low but if you want to run Storm Drain you can.

:Scizor::Alomomola::Talonflame::Wo-Chien::Tinkaton::Kilowattrel:

This is a Balance team that's built around repeatedly Wish Passing into Scizor in order to attempt to mimick the good old Roost + SD sets we saw in oldgens. Scizors main issue in the current metagame is definitely longevity so pairing it with a Wish user is supposed to help patch that up and since most Wish mons only really work consistently on fatter styles I decided pair it with one of my favourite Fire-Water-Grass cores. Tinkaton serves as the teams main Gengar check and Rocker and assists with Knocking Tflame to make Scizor freer in the lategame, while Kilowattrel rounds out the core as both a form of Speed Control and a piece of the Volt-Turn core.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)