Unneeded things in pokemon!

At least on Super Mystery Dungeon, a motivated Unown doubles the amount of experience the party gets in a dungeon, and since all Unown count as different Pokemon, the chance of getting a motivated Unown is likely (not sure about some permanent formes) 29 times higher than any other Pokemon.

They still suck anyways.

But an ability similar to Wishiwashi would make sense. The series has pointed out several times that Unown is extremely powerful when on groups.
I remember someone (can't remember who) articulating the point very well, that Unown is treated more like a plot device than a Pokemon. As in, it's shown that Unown have phenomenal power (some speculate that they and their dimension existed even before Arceus), but in battle that power can't emerge.

Two unneeded things in pokemon games in my opinion:

(1) Pokemon Contests
I feel like they belong more to the anime than to the game itself because you can simply forget them without consequences, but you can't do Contests ignoring the Gyms. I simply skip them all: they don't add nothing to the plot and they feel like they waste room for other things. At least, the Pokeathlon in HG/SS gives you the possibility to gain evolution stones "more easily".

(2) Some unnecessary HMs or HMs that are so weak you have to get rid of them if you need a 4th moveslot available
For example, why do you have to run Whirlpool + Waterfall + Surf when the only move you'll use is Surf? Waterfall is rarely used more than once (except you are going to visit extra areas, but...) in order to reach the Victory Road. Whirlpool is even more niche and has no uses outside of that. Luckily enough, Surf is still very good despite the competition with Scald...

(2) Some unnecessary HMs or HMs that are so weak you have to get rid of them if you need a 4th moveslot available
For example, why do you have to run Whirlpool + Waterfall + Surf when the only move you'll use is Surf? Waterfall is rarely used more than once (except you are going to visit extra areas, but...) in order to reach the Victory Road. Whirlpool is even more niche and has no uses outside of that. Luckily enough, Surf is still very good despite the competition with Scald...
You don't necessarily have to run all 3 - I used to swap out Dive and Waterfall in Emerald based on where I was.

You don't necessarily have to run all 3 - I used to swap out Dive and Waterfall in Emerald based on where I was.
Yes, you don't have to run them all, but I think that if you really want to introduce a HM (such as Waterfall or Dive), you should make use it more than once or twice during the main plot. The fact you have to use Waterfall ONCE time in the main plot to reach the Victory Road is really a poor design in my opinion.
Fortunately, in Alpha Sapphire the combination of Marshtomp+Ludicolo allows to keep both Surf, Waterfall and Dive in the same team.

Last edited:
Don't forget that you pretty much have to run Flash in Hoenn's Victory Road (RSE at least) because the light radius is small enough for you to not see what you have to do in the Strength puzzles.

Then there's Cut status as an HM. Not as bad as Defog or Whirlpool, but there have been TM moves with more out-of-battle places to use than it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)