SV OU Ursa Veil (43-9 Voting Reqs)

Roller K

detached
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributor
URSA VEIL
Ursa Veil.png

:sv/ninetales-alola: :sv/zamazenta: :sv/volcarona: :sv/rillaboom: :sv/manaphy: :sv/ursaluna:

========================================================

TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Importable Pokepaste
2. Proof of Peak
3. Team Introduction & Building Process
4. Individual Roles of Team Members
5. Bad Matchups & Counterplay
6. Replay Section
7. Closing Thoughts

1. Importable of Pokepaste
https://pokepast.es/bb670962d6a90b5b

Nickname Version: https://pokepast.es/a7efa816a5e00b0d
Old Version with Iron Moth: https://pokepast.es/6484ca28af82e2d7

2. Proof of Peak

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 7.10.10 PM.png

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2049770009?p2

3. Team Introduction & Building Process

I made the first version of this team back in November for OUPL. I wanted to abuse Zamazenta's Sub ID set under screens, as very few teams can handle Zamazenta once it gets going. My highest peak on ladder used the same duo, so I knew it was reliable (RMT for the team here). Screens make it very difficult to take down a Substitute from Zamazenta, and Alolan Ninetales is the most reliable screen setter, so I went with this combination:

:ninetales-alola: :zamazenta:

I wanted a form of speed control that could snowball out of control and could use Veil to its advantage. On the second version of the team, I decided that Iron Moth would fit this role well. Keep in mind that it was November, so Volcarona was banned. Iron Moth's speed booster set with Substitute enjoys the extra bulk from Veil, so it is difficult to revenge kill, and Fiery Dance enables a sweep against some teams.

:ninetales-alola::zamazenta: :iron-moth:

I added Rillaboom with the third version of the team. Rillaboom is such a strong breaker and has great priority, but more importantly, it provides the team Grassy Terrain. The healing while under screens essentially doubles the value of the recovery, and this is huge for Zamazenta. Substitute + Veil + 12.5% healing per turn with Leftovers + Grassy Terrain makes Zamazenta a major threat. It felt like the perfect synergy for the team.

:ninetales-alola: :zamazenta: :iron-moth: :rillaboom:

At this point, I struggled to find the next member. The first three versions of the team had Zapdos and a Water-type, but it was not putting in work as I had hoped. I figured out pretty quickly that Zapdos was dead weight, and I needed to fit something that could better abuse the support from Aurora Veil and Grassy Terrain. I searched through the available Pokemon in OU, and none struck me as good. With a little more searching, I realized how good Ursaluna would be. Ursaluna struggles with being forced out due to its poor speed as well as its longevity, and the team's support negates those issues. Veil lets it stay in on more threats since special moves will not be a big issue, and Grassy Terrain cancels out damage from Flame Orb. Ursaluna could thrive and claim two kills with relative ease, so I added it to the fourth version of the team and loved the role it fulfilled.

:ninetales-alola::zamazenta: :iron-moth: :rillaboom: :ursaluna:

To complete the FWG core, I originally tested the team with Hisuian Samurott and Greninja, but I ultimately decided on Manaphy. It can be difficult to figure out on preview what the Manaphy set is, and its natural bulk combined with Veil and strong setup make it a great pick to round out the team.

:ninetales-alola: :zamazenta::iron-moth: :rillaboom: :ursaluna: :manaphy:

That was my final 6 members of the team for a while, but a couple weeks ago, I decided to revisit the team. I knew the team was strong, but it needed to be adapted to the new DLC2 metagame. After a bit of moveset tweaking and a notable change of Volcarona > Iron Moth, I settled with this:

:ninetales-alola: :zamazenta: :volcarona: :rillaboom: :ursaluna: :manaphy:

4. Individual Roles of Team Members

:light-clay: :sv/ninetales-alola: :light-clay:
Ninetales-Alola (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Snowscape
- Encore
- Aurora Veil​

:ninetales-alola: is the bread and butter of the team. It provides amazing support in Snow Warning, Encore, and Aurora Veil. Tera Water on :ninetales-alola: is mainly a last resort for weather matchups to help pivot into sun or rain teams and change the weather. Snowscape is an amazing move for weather matchups, and it allows you to more easily set up Aurora Veil against these teams. Moonblast does just enough damage to be annoying for the opponent. :ninetales-alola: has the added benefit of being one of the few Pokemon that can handle :kyurem: with ease and turn it into Veil fodder. The only relevant set that beats :ninetales-alola: is Tera Blast Fire + Dragon Dance, but with a veil up, that set can get revenged by :manaphy:.

:leftovers: :sv/zamazenta: :leftovers:
Zamazenta @ Leftovers
Ability: Dauntless Shield
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 172 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Body Press
- Crunch
- Substitute
- Iron Defense
:zamazenta: is my late-game hero. The speed is to outspeed +1 :dragonite: Pokemon at base 125 (:weavile:, :darkrai:, Adamant/Modest :dragapult:). The set is extremely standard, but :zamazenta: still demonstrates how potent it is as a cleaner. With Veil up, :zamazenta: feels nearly unkillable, and it checks most physical attackers. Substitute with Aurora Veil is a nasty combo, and :zamazenta: can shrug off hits easily to keep up Substitute. Tera Poison helps resist incoming Fairy- and Fighting-moves, beat opposing ID + Body Press Pokemon, and act as an emergency grounded Poison so Toxic Spikes do not run through the team as easily.

:heavy-duty-boots: :sv/volcarona: :heavy-duty-boots:
Volcarona (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Tera Blast
- Quiver Dance
:volcarona: loves support from Aurora Veil. I prefer Modest > Timid because the extra speed only slightly helps before boosting; it naturally outspeeds :gholdengo:/:samurott-hisui:/:glimmora:, at +1 it outspeeds everything naturally barring :deoxys-speed:, and at +2 it outspeeds everything relevant (i.e. Choice Scarf :darkrai:/Booster Energy :iron-boulder:) with the exceptions of :barraskewda:/:lilligant-hisui:. Modest Fire Blast is insanely strong even with no boosts, and the coverage handles a lot of the current meta. Tera Blast Ground is the most optimal set for this team after testing a good amount; it deals with :heatran:/:slowking-galar:/:gouging-fire:/:raging-bolt: among other threats that would wall its natural coverage.

:choice-band: :sv/rillaboom: :choice-band:
Rillaboom (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- Knock Off
- U-turn
In my opinion, this is the only set :rillaboom: should run in OU. It is one of the best revenge killers in the metagame with Grassy Glide, it is one of the best breakers in the game with Wood Hammer, it has great support in Knock Off which also lets it hit :gholdengo:/:dragapult:/:skeledirge:, and it is a strong pivot with U-turn. Choice Band lets :rillaboom: destroy everything in its path. I was unsure what speed tier to run, as I originally had it at 250 Speed to outspeed Modest :raging-bolt:, but I decided I preferred more bulk on the set and opted for 222 Speed to outspeed Jolly base 50 Speed Pokemon (:kingambit:/iron-hands:/:ursaluna:) and Pokemon trying to speed creep (:heatran:/:moltres:/:skarmory:).

:heavy-duty-boots: :sv/manaphy: :heavy-duty-boots:
Manaphy @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Hydration
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Alluring Voice
- Energy Ball
- Tail Glow
I cannot believe that Manaphy just dropped to RU with the February tier changes. Now that :ogerpon-wellspring: is less dominant in the metagame, :manaphy: can shine even more than before. The Tail Glow set is the best for HO in my opinion, and it can dismantle most of the metagame at +3. Surf is its most spammable move, Alluring Voice / Ice Beam is necessary for all the Dragons in the tier, and Energy Ball hits the bulky Waters. I knew I wanted Tera Fairy to be immune to Dragon moves and give me a turn to potentially set up, and that is why I have Alluring Voice > Ice Beam; Alluring Voice also allows me to hit :kyurem: super-effectively. Energy Ball has the added benefit of being boosted by Grassy Terrain, so it can be quite punishing.

:flame-orb: :sv/ursaluna: :flame-orb:
Ursaluna (F) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Headlong Rush
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance​

:ursaluna: is an under-explored threat in the current metagame. Facade and Headlong Rush destroy everything, and against fatter teams, Swords Dance will be more than enough to push through. Fire Punch allows :ursaluna: to hit :corviknight:/:skarmory: and be a midground move on certain occasions when you don't want Headlong Rush to drop your defenses. Tera Normal removes most of its weaknesses and breaks through even the bulkiest of physical walls, though I'm sure the tera type could be changed to a defensive one to allow more longevity. Due to its massive bulk under Veil and its already sky-high attack, I decided Jolly would be the best nature because it does not have to risk underspeeding :skarmory: as often or being destroyed by Low Kick :kingambit: (at worst, it is a speed tie). I have replays where it outsped :moltres:/:heatran: and avoided taking damage as well. The speed can catch people off guard in some games, and it makes it easier for :ursaluna: to stay in. It has the benefit of taking on mixed :dragapult: very well.

5. Bad Matchups & Counterplay

:glimmora: Toxic Spikes :toxapex:
If the opponent gets up Toxic Spikes, you are in a rough position. Tera Poison :Zamazenta: is a failsafe if they do get up and you need them removed, but that means you are almost guaranteed to get poisoned with your :zamazenta: and are in an awkward position. If they have :glimmora: on their team, always lead :manaphy:. Half the time, they sacrifice it for Stealth Rock, and you end up relatively unharmed. If they preserve :glimmora:, just be careful about using physical attacks until :glimmora: faints. Trading :manaphy: is often worth it. I rarely activated Toxic Debris, so it is not too dangerous. One game, I ran into Toxic Spikes + Haze :toxapex:, which is a major pain for the team. If you face this, they are likely a fat team, and :ursaluna: needs to be preserved. It is worth using up Tera Poison to absorb Toxic Spikes so :ursaluna: gets burned and has more longevity in the game. Overall, Toxic Spikes is not the end of the world since :volcarona:/:manaphy: have Heavy-Duty Boots and a burned :ursaluna: is unaffected.

:great-tusk: Tera Ghost/Poison + Bulk Up :great-tusk:
I am sure there are other viable Pokemon who can run this set, but I will focus on :great-tusk: for this. :zamazenta: can normally set up and 1v1 :great-tusk:, even if it has Bulk Up, but Tera Ghost/Poison flips the script. They are very difficult to revenge kill since they always get a guaranteed +1 against me as I try to Body Press, one Rapid Spin allows it to outspeed my whole team, and it is very difficult to revenge kill with :rillaboom: due to the defense boost(s). If Aurora Veil is up, go to :manaphy:/:volcarona: and try to trade. If Veil is not up, either try to get it up if possible or pray for luck with Crunch on :zamazenta:.

:dragonite: :rillaboom: Priority-Move Cleaners :kingambit: :raging-bolt:
The team is not too resilient to revenge killing. All of the four Pokemon above can get out of control in the right circumstances. Fortunately, there are answers to all of these. :dragonite:/:kingambit: struggle against :zamazenta:/:ursaluna:; :rillaboom: struggles against :zamazenta:/:volcarona:/:rillaboom:; :manaphy: at +3 can tera against :kingambit:/:raging-bolt: and threaten to OHKO depending on spreads; Tera Ground :volcarona: can stop :raging-bolt: in a pinch and fish for Flame Body on the physical priority attackers; and :ninetales-alola: can Encore :kingambit:/:raging-bolt: into Sucker Punch/Thunderclap and turn any of the priority attackers into Aurora Veil fodder.

:torkoal: Weather Teams :pelipper:
Snowscape :ninetales-alola: eases the weather matchups a lot, but they can still be difficult. Keep :ninetales-alola: as healthy as possible, especially if Stealth Rock is up. Do your best to get up Aurora Veil. You will have to predict well, but if you get used to the team and test it enough, you will recognize patterns that people typically follow and can exploit them. I would say that Sun is most difficult since there is no Fire resistance on the team outside of :manaphy:, which is easily exploitable once weakened, but a well-positioned :volcarona: could easily threaten their team too, depending on sets and team members remaining.

:skarmory: Hazard Stack :gliscor:
This is more of an honorable mention than a real threat. The hazard setters are not too threatening to the team and are usually setup fodder. Also, :volcarona:/:manaphy: have Heavy-Duty Boots and :rillaboom: heals the team a little bit, so one layer of hazards are pretty negligible. If they somehow get max layers, then you have to be very cautious about switching, so make sure they do not get too many free opportunities to set up hazards.

6. Replay Section

All replays are from laddering with my suspect alt during the Kyurem suspect test:

Wins above 1500 ELO:
VS :torkoal: :great-tusk: :walking-wake: :roaring-moon: :corviknight: :ceruledge: (swept with Zamazenta under Aurora Veil)
VS :dragapult: :zamazenta: :gouging-fire: :raging-bolt: :great-tusk: :primarina: (swept with Tera Poison Zamazenta)
VS :deoxys-speed: :alomomola: :enamorus: :great-tusk: :dragapult: :archaludon: (swept mostly with Tera Poison Zamazenta, cleaned with Volcarona)
VS :latios: :samurott-hisui: :iron-valiant: :pecharunt: :landorus-therian: :heatran: (swept with Zamazenta)
VS :deoxys-speed: :enamorus: :raging-bolt: :gouging-fire: :hatterene: :kingambit: (forfeited after big Ursaluna went crazy)
VS :hatterene: :rillaboom: :volcarona: :smeargle: :quaquaval: :dragapult: (unfortunate crit on Ursa, but Manaphy put on pressure and Rillaboom cleaned)
VS :hydrapple: :primarina: :clodsire: :scizor: :dragapult: :alomomola: (swept with Manaphy)
VS :tyranitar: :great-tusk: :excadrill: :skeledirge: :ogerpon-wellspring: :skarmory: (got lucky with Head Smash miss, Ursaluna domination)
VS :primarina: :raikou: :rillaboom: :roaring-moon: :excadrill: :heatran: (swept with Tera Poison Zamazenta despite misfortune)
VS :tornadus-therian: :deoxys-speed: :pecharunt: :kyurem: :great-tusk: :roaring-moon: (swept with Volcarona)
VS :kyurem: :slowking-galar: :gliscor: :skarmory: :dragapult: :kingambit: (swept with Tera Ground Volcarona, all members put in great work)
VS :ogerpon-wellspring: :glimmora: :kingambit: :iron-valiant: :kyurem: :volcarona: (close one, I cleaned up the endgame)
VS :kingambit: :dragonite: :ribombee: :zapdos: :samurott-hisui: :great-tusk: (swept with Zamazenta)
VS :kyurem: :ogerpon-wellspring: :scizor: :moltres: :great-tusk: :muk-alola: (This is the game I am most proud of. They had so many counters to my team and I still won)
VS :necrozma: :glimmora: :kingambit: :iron-valiant: :kyurem: :volcarona: (swept with Tera Fairy Manaphy, this is the game I got voting requirements with)

Losses above 1500 ELO:
VS :torkoal: :roaring-moon: :walking-wake: :gouging-fire: :clodsire: :corviknight: (cleaned by Gouging Fire)
VS :pecharunt: :iron-valiant: :roaring-moon: :samurott-hisui: :iron-treads: :raging-bolt: (cleaned by Raging Bolt)
VS :kingambit: :dragapult: :raging-bolt: :iron-valiant: :hatterene: :maushold: (cleaned by Dragapult, unfortunate Kingambit speed tie)

7. Closing Thoughts
While I really enjoy using this team, I am not saying it is outstanding. It is quite prediction-reliant, and you have to figure out your win path quickly. I have not tested the team on high ladder, as my peak is somewhere in the mid- to high- 1700s. If anyone uses the team and can reach a higher peak, please let me know here.

I would love to hear your opinion of the team, what you like about the team, how it can be improved, and your thoughts on the RMT in general. I hope I did a good job of presenting the team and my ideas to you.

Overall, Aurora Veil is not the best playstyle by any means, but it enables lower-tier threats such as :ursaluna: and :manaphy: to catch people off guard and pack a punch.

Thank you for reading this RMT, and good luck with using this team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)